• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@@.gif

Imagine if it was true ... or if this was true:

verrattieuro.jpg

@@.gif
@@.gif
@@.gif

I'm reserving this
@@.gif

Also, JuveGAF: Veratti is U-G-L-Y.

Oh yeah? Then Solskjær is ugly!

flyover

This statement from Dave Whelan about LFC got me wondering about something:

"[C]ertainly it is clear now they don't know who they want as manager."

I've seen this sentiment in a few articles and a couple forums, too -- implying that a team should have already decided who they want before (or very soon after) firing a manager.

So, I was wondering, in the Premier League, is it uncommon to go into a coaching search without a clear-cut favorite? Do teams usually just have one person in mind, and barring some hiccup in the process (e.g., a bad interview or can't agree on wages), that's the only person they talk to?

In the US, it's common for teams in most sports to not begin the process of finding a new coach/manager until the previous one is fired. Then, teams will usually spend quite a bit of time weighing options and putting together a list of candidates.

It's then standard operating procedure (if not mandatory) for teams to interview several candidates before they're allowed to hire. In the NFL, for example, teams must at least interview a minority candidate before making their head coaching decision. Sometimes these interviews are little more than a courtesy, to give marginal candidates experience with the process. But occasionally, a long shot candidate will blow everyone away and get the job.

I'm not saying either method is right or wrong. I can see reasons for both hiring processes. I just hadn't considered that some people (like Whelan) might feel that a team taking the time to contact several candidates was symptomatic of an indecisive nature. For FSG, it's more likely a case of due diligence. They may have a favored candidate in mind, but figure it doesn't hurt to talk to everyone.

I wondered if that's not common practice in England (or elsewhere). And if it's not, would it be an insult for a potential manager to be asked to interview for a job that several other managers are also vying for? (If that's the case, FSG could be harming their search.)

Lightning

Banned
I think Song & Walcott are into the final year of their contract next season. Is this what summer for us has come to?
Walcott contact ends next season. He is the same as Van Persie but because of RVP's popularity Walcott's situation hardly gets mentioned. Alex Song is 2014 though.

I feel quite depressed right now though. The thought of RVP leaving leaves me very unhappy but it's impossible for us to compete with City's wages and would it be worth spending kind of money on RVP when chances are he will never have another season like this one? It's a hard call and taking into account he is injury prone and geting on in years maybe it's time he goes. Perhaps forcing him to stay his final year and let him leave for free as a 30year old is the way to go? That will cost a minimum 20-25mil so I don't think so but meh.... Fuckin damnit.

LegoArmo

I guess they thought it might be disrespectful to look for a new manager before Kenny was gone, I'm not sure.

They have the whole summer to find one, but they'll want to get it done as soon as possible.

It could end up similar to the situation at Wolves though, where they ended up losing out on all of their candidates because of various reasons.

flyover

I feel quite depressed right now though. The thought of RVP leaving leaves me very unhappy but it's impossible for us to compete with City's wages and would it be worth spending kind of money on RVP when chances are he will never have another season like this one?

It's such a tough situation for you guys. He's never going to have as much value as he does now. He obviously can't get any younger, it's a gamble to think he can have another injury-free season, his performance this year was likely his peak, and he's out of contract soon.

But if you get rid of him, next season could be painful...

I don't know what I'd do.

This statement from Dave Whelan about LFC got me wondering about something:

"[C]ertainly it is clear now they don't know who they want as manager."

I've seen this sentiment in a few articles and a couple forums, too -- implying that a team should have already decided who they want before (or very soon after) firing a manager.

So, I was wondering, in the Premier League, is it uncommon to go into a coaching search without a clear-cut favorite? Do teams usually just have one person in mind, and barring some hiccup in the process (e.g., a bad interview or can't agree on wages), that's the only person they talk to?

In the US, it's common for teams in most sports to not begin the process of finding a new coach/manager until the previous one is fired. Then, teams will usually spend quite a bit of time weighing options and putting together a list of candidates.

It's then standard operating procedure (if not mandatory) for teams to interview several candidates before they're allowed to hire. In the NFL, for example, teams must at least interview a minority candidate before making their head coaching decision. Sometimes these interviews are little more than a courtesy, to give marginal candidates experience with the process. But occasionally, a long shot candidate will blow everyone away and get the job.

I'm not saying either method is right or wrong. I can see reasons for both hiring processes. I just hadn't considered that some people (like Whelan) might feel that a team taking the time to contact several candidates was symptomatic of an indecisive nature. For FSG, it's more likely a case of due diligence. They may have a favored candidate in mind, but figure it doesn't hurt to talk to everyone.

I wondered if that's not common practice in England (or elsewhere). And if it's not, would it be an insult for a potential manager to be asked to interview for a job that several other managers are also vying for? (If that's the case, FSG could be harming their search.)
Typically most clubs will have somebody lined up and have spoken to them before firing their incumbent manager. A safety net of sorts.

This is actually against the rules for the most part because you are not allowed to approach somebody who is already in a contract (such as Martinez for ex) but it happens all the time anyway with managers and players.

Rad-

I have a sneaky feeling Hazard might announce that he's signed for United after Lille's game this weekend.

Meh, I'm not feeling that transfer. Fergie and Gill will not give a player like him wages of over 100k (unproven in the PL and in the big stages), City will probably offer something in the 150-200k range.

And I think RVP is a huge gamble to buy. He's expensive and made of glass.

flyover

Typically most clubs will have somebody lined up and have spoken to them before firing their incumbent manager. A safety net of sorts.

This is actually against the rules for the most part because you are not allowed to approach somebody who is already in a contract (such as Martinez for ex) but it happens all the time anyway with managers and players.

Thanks for clarifying. That's kind of the feeling I had, but I didn't know for sure.

(I also think Whelan's statement was likely less about LFC and more an attempt to persuade Martinez to stick around for another season.)

LegoArmo

Meh, I'm not feeling that transfer. Fergie and Gill will not give a player like him wages of over 100k (unproven in the PL and in the big stages), City will probably offer something in the 150-200k range.

And I think RVP is a huge gamble to buy. He's expensive and made of glass.

I'm naive in believing that there's still players out there who care about more than just a wage. :(

Thanks for clarifying. That's kind of the feeling I had, but I didn't know for sure.

(I also think Whelan's statement was likely less about LFC and more an attempt to persuade Martinez to stick around for another season.)
I actually think Whelan was just speaking his mind, he's already said if Martinez ever wants to leave he will let him and happily do so because he knows he is destined for bigger things than Wigan.

It's a sentiment most people in football share really, why sack a manager when you don't have somebody ready to come in. People are sceptical of FSG because it seems they haven't decided on one candidate already. It's just part of the culture...when you think about it what they're doing is very practical as you mentioned in your earlier post. They can't have spoken to everybody before sacking Daglish even if they did have a preferred choice. Now they can speak to more or less anybody they want and see who is interested and what their ideas are without worrying about secrecy or upsetting anyone. It's a smart thing to do...but there is a time constraint in football which is more stringent than in other sports because clubs have a lot of work to do on a relatively short off-season.

Other clubs are already moving in the transfer market and LFC cant do that until a new manager is in place.

Messi

I hope Solksjaer comes in and scoops up M'Vila before he signs somewhere else (not going to happen, one can dream).

Seen a guy in a villa shirt today, shouted "awesome animals" at him but he did not turn around :(

I am going to live the dream in 2 weeks going into a store and buying uniteds new kit, Chelsea's, liverpools and a city away. All at once asking to print tony V, Stevie G, Mata and Balotelli.

Can't wait to see his face

flyover

It's a sentiment most people in football share really, why sack a manager when you don't have somebody ready to come in. People are sceptical of FSG because it seems they haven't decided on one candidate already. It's just part of the culture...

Thanks. Exactly what I was wondering. That explains a lot.

Seen a guy in a villa shirt today, shouted "awesome animals" at him but he did not turn around :(

I am going to live the dream in 2 weeks going into a store and buying uniteds new kit, Chelsea's, liverpools and a city away. All at once asking to print tony V, Stevie G, Mata and Balotelli.

Can't wait to see his face

Why no Villa shirt? :(

Lightning

Banned
It's such a tough situation for you guys. He's never going to have as much value as he does now. He obviously can't get any younger, it's a gamble to think he can have another injury-free season, his performance this year was likely his peak, and he's out of contract soon.

But if you get rid of him, next season could be painful...

I don't know what I'd do.
I'm hoping that this is his negioating tactic to get action out of Arsenal but if he seriously goes to City... Fuck that.

Meier

I'm naive in believing that there's still players out there who care about more than just a wage. :(

United doesn't really offer anything that City doesn't at this point. If you can make more money and arguably have a better chance at silverware? Seems like a no-brainer.

By the way, this is a good read:

‘Daddy’s Crying’
Manchester City's win and the most relieved fans on the planet
By Marc Stein on May 16, 2012

For nearly three years, I've been giving myself the same speech. Since my one and only heartbreaking trip to Old Trafford in the fall of 2009, it's been the go-to pep talk for the voices inside my head.

Having supported Manchester City since the age of 11, finally daring to step inside Manchester United's famous ground as a 40-year-old and then being forced to witness City lose a soul-crushing classic to a Michael Owen goal that made it 4-3 nearly two minutes after the final whistle should have been blown, this became my mantra:

Nothing can ever hurt me again.

Which, of course, is the most laughable lie I've ever uttered.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7936771/manchester-city-manchester-united-epl-shocking-season

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm hoping that this is his negioating tactic to get action out of Arsenal but if he seriously goes to City... Fuck that.

This going to sound horrible but..

RVP is definitely staying with Arsenal
if he gets injured in the Euros

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So is Juve making huge profits or are they going the Real Madrid/Chelsea/City way? 45M is CRAZY.

We got something close to 55M for winning the scudetto/qualifying for Europe I think. That and the stadium money!

So 70-80M+ sounds about right.

(source: I read all of this somewhere hmm)

Meier

Wait, haven't United fans been saying that they expected to sign Clyne? The Mail are now saying he's likely to sign with Newcastle but Crystal Palace want £5 million compensation. They say that the club feels a more realistic figure is £2 million.

Hixx

Play Off final will be more entertaining than the CL final. I have foreseen it. Here's hoping Blackpool come up, I'd seriously fucking love it.

Also just (mistakenly) cooked my steak rare instead of medium rare. Still don't understand how people think it's better. Crazy.

TrueBlue

^ Ooh man, I'm slowly getting hyped now. Been calm all week but it's just started to dawn on me that this is it. All comes down to tomorrow. Biggest game in our history.

Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom