• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Wait, haven't United fans been saying that they expected to sign Clyne? The Mail are now saying he's likely to sign with Newcastle but Crystal Palace want £5 million compensation. They say that the club feels a more realistic figure is £2 million.

Yah Newcastle are favs along with Man Utd. I'd rather we get Debuchy and leave it at that for RB.

dc89

LAST WEEKEND Manchester City won the English Premier League for the first time, and the club's first league title since the late 1960s – but how will the success benefit the club’s lead sponsor?

United Arab Emirates airline Etihad Airways signed a 10-year, £400m deal with City in July 2011 (for Etihad Stadium naming rights and front-of-shirt sponsorship). Nearly a year later Etihad continues to reap the benefits of the partnership with awareness of the sponsorship reaching a global audience.

As the airline plans to install its European headquarters in Manchester, the strength of collaboration with the club has never been stronger – over the first two weeks of May alone, Etihad has been mentioned in connection with Manchester City in online and social media over 4,000 times in the UK.

The heat map below, generated by Flightdeck, the social media tracker tool from Havas Sports & Entertainment, demonstrates that the majority of total online conversation (across all platforms) comes from the UK – 38 per cent of total share of voice.

But, with 10 per cent of total conversation generated in Indonesia, 8 per cent from the US and significant mentions of the partnership clearly seen on all continents, Etihad's sponsorship of the newly-crowned Premier League champions has created a truly international talking point.

infographic_9.png

http://frontiers.sportbusiness.com/frontloaded/infographic/global-reach-man-city-and-etihad

Long way to go yet to build the club and Etihad into a global names!

dc89

AC Milan chief Adriano Galliani confirms #mcfc have not enquired about Zlatan Ibrahimovic. [Sport Mediaset]

Well that's that. RVP was always more realistic.

Villa fans!

@RBFlemma: Solskjær to rbnett.no "I've turned down a number of clubs both in the PL and CL, but #avfc is such a big club I wanted to to talk to them".

@RBFlemma: "I have no offer and I haven't negotiated with Villa. I will be on training in Molde on Saturday. I have 2 years left of my contract".

@RBFlemma: On Røkke/Aker pulling out: "If thats the case, its a shame. When #avfc got in touch with me, Røkke was the first person I notified".

Manager

Villa fans!

@RBFlemma: Solskjær to rbnett.no "I've turned down a number of clubs both in the PL and CL, but #avfc is such a big club I wanted to to talk to them".

@RBFlemma: "I have no offer and I haven't negotiated with Villa. I will be on training in Molde on Saturday. I have 2 years left of my contract".

I was too young to follow him in United. It's funny how he's so popular (as manager) atm. Maybe I read too much Redcafe.

I mean... from Norwegian league to Premier League? Giant step.

I was too young to follow him in United. It's funny how he's so popular (as manager) atm. Maybe I read too much Redcafe.

I mean... from Norwegian league to Premier League? Giant step.
He's a legend. A great player and so likeable. Of course scoring a winner in the CL final helps. Always been immensely popular since he joined United.

I'm not sure how good a manager he is. He is unproven, risk from Villa IMO. He has shown promising signs though.

dc89

Anyone want Adam Johnson, apparently he wants to move on from City after not getting in to the England squad. £10M or bust.

Villa fans!

@RBFlemma: On Røkke/Aker pulling out: "If thats the case, its a shame. When #avfc got in touch with me, Røkke was the first person I notified".

Those quotes are probably a good sign right?

EDIT: Probably not :( super bummed

Those quotes are probably a good sign right?
I would think so. Ole is probably being very respectful to his current club and doesn't want to say too much until there is a firm offer.

On RVP City should wait until after the Euro's to bid. 1) See if he isn't injured 2) Will put Arsenal in a difficult position as if RVP makes it clear he won't renew he will be leaving on a free if they don't sell him.

Manager

He's a legend. A great player and so likeable. Of course scoring a winner in the CL final helps. Always been immensely popular since he joined United.

I'm not sure how good a manager he is. He is unproven, risk from Villa IMO. He has shown promising signs though.

He's a legend, he'll always be remembered as the super sub. As a Scandinavian it was impossible to not hear about him.

Very big risk yes. Will be interesting to see how he fares. Still, being good in a bigger league doesn't automatically result in success, look at AVB.

I wonder how AVB would be seen if he instead started in a team like Aston Villa instead of Chelsea.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Anyone want Adam Johnson, apparently he wants to move on from City after not getting in to the England squad. £10M or bust.

Nobody is going to pay £10m for someone as lazy as him. He'll probably get a loan somewhere like all the other Mancini cast-offs.

Wessiej

Time to sleep, than work than a bbq and thaaaaaaaaan CL final with a bunch of friends. Everybody is for Bayeeeeeeeeeeeeern, because we love Robben and we hate Chelsea.

Wes

venison crêpe
@MatKendrick (Biringham Mail Villa correspondent. Usually the go to for confirmation)

"I think Villa want Solskjaer and that Solskjaer wants Villa. It's now just a matter of making it happen, which can be easier said than done."

rodvik

@MatKendrick (Biringham Mail Villa correspondent. Usually the go to for confirmation)

"I think Villa want Solskjaer and that Solskjaer wants Villa. It's now just a matter of making it happen, which can be easier said than done."

I am ready. Villa fans are ready. He has got to be cheaper than a current PL manager.

Lets do this Randy.

edit top tip. its alt+145 on numpad for the æ

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"After a sabbatical, Guardiola plans to take a job in England or Italy, not necessarily at a top-flight team."

I told you guys he was going to Brescia :p

"After a sabbatical, Guardiola plans to take a job in England or Italy, not necessarily at a top-flight team."

I told you guys he was going to Brescia :p

If the stress and pressure of a top-flight job was getting to him, then it makes sense that he'd go settle down and manage a smaller club away from all the noise and commotion.

Guardiola to Liverpool confirmed.

They did win a trophy this year.

Zabojnik

So is Juve making huge profits or are they going the Real Madrid/Chelsea/City way? 45M is CRAZY.

We're somewhere in between right now. The long term plan is to increase profits (stadium, merchandising, branding, CL ...) and conform to financial fairplay regulations. To get there though, we have to invest a lot of money first. Which is what we've been doing since the catastrophic advent of Farsopoli. With terrible results at first, mainly because the management that succeded Moggi, Giraudo and Bettega was a fucking joke. With Andrea Agnelli at the helm we're now finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Exor, the industrial holding company controlled by the Agnelli family, has a shitton of money and could easily cover whatever debt we come up with, but they aren't exactly dying to do so (which is why you'll sometimes hear us juventini calling out for a sheikh to come and buy us ;) and have Fiat to deal with anyway. We've been self-sufficient in the past and the plan for Juventus is definitely to go the Bayern route. Hopefully we'll get there sooner than later.

elsk

Banned
We're somewhere in between right now. The long term plan is to increase profits (stadium, merchandising, branding, CL ...) and conform to financial fairplay regulations. To get there though, we have to invest a lot of money first. Which is what we've been doing since the catastrophic advent of Farsopoli. With terrible results at first, mainly because the management that succeded Moggi, Giraudo and Bettega was a fucking joke. With Andrea Agnelli at the helm we're now finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Exor, the industrial holding company controlled by the Agnelli family, has a shitton of money and could easily cover whatever debt we come up with, but they aren't exactly dying to do so (which is why you'll sometimes hear us juventini calling out for a sheikh to come and buy us ;) and have Fiat to deal with anyway. We've been self-sufficient in the past and the plan for Juventus is definitely to go the Bayern route. Hopefully we'll get there sooner than later.

I see. Well, I hope last thing the football needs is another Man City... anyway, still think 45M for Higuaín is very wrong. He's an amazing striker but for more than 20m? You could even get Falcao I guess. "Wasting" 45M on a single player is not the way to go specially since the FFP is kicking in on the near future.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I see. Well, I hope last thing the football needs is another Man City... anyway, still think 45M for Higuaín is very wrong. He's an amazing striker but for more than 20m? You could even get Falcao I guess.

Far from it.

The 45M offer is just a rumour btw!

"Wasting" 45M on a single player is not the way to go specially since the FFP is kicking in on the near future.

I wouldn't worry about that either, we make decent revenue.

Carbonox

Only on Alan Carr Chatty Man would you see Alan Carr, a dog and Kim Kardashian do the conga. I'd let her rest her arse on my face any day of the week.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yes, I know :) just searching something to distract my mind :( FUCKING LOT OF HOURS TO GO.

Yurt, when are you going to post photos of the city you live in now? I'm very curious :p

I probably shouldn't
OUeEF.gif
Everything is brown and orange, it feels like living inside Unreal Engine.

rififi

With Andrea Agnelli at the helm we're now finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Exor, the industrial holding company controlled by the Agnelli family, has a shitton of money and could easily cover whatever debt we come up with, but they aren't exactly dying to do so (which is why you'll sometimes hear us juventini calling out for a sheikh to come and buy us ;) and have Fiat to deal with anyway. We've been self-sufficient in the past and the plan for Juventus is definitely to go the Bayern route. Hopefully we'll get there sooner than later.

I had no idea that Juventus was owned by the Agnelli family (I guess that explains why I have seen so many pictures of Juventus with Lapo).
Imo, I think it is much better that the Agnelli family has control of Juve's financing than some sheikh who would just throw money at the problem. One, because it's an Italian family that has history with the club, and two, because they know business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom