• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

Managers should be throwing themselves on Liverpool. Hell, it looks good on your CV!

Agreed, and the owners should be just talking to the top. Liverpool imho should be associated with names like Rafa, Capello and to a certain extent AVB.

It shouldnt even occur that Martinez & Rodgers are even considered imho. Let alone be given the chance to snub the club.

Scum

Agreed, and the owners should be just talking to the top. Liverpool imho should be associated with names like Rafa, Capello and to a certain extent AVB.

It shouldnt even occur that Martinez & Rodgers are even considered imho. Let alone be given the chance to snub the club.

Exactly. I personally would like to see AVB at a club for a few years. I think he'll be likely to draft in some young'uns, which Liverpool could with. Or just do an FM and get Rafa back.

rodvik

why wouldn't Martinez be considered exactly?

Imho because he has done very little. He hasnt done as well as Steve Bruce did at Wigan and he has not demonstrated any ability to get his teams playing a consistent style. Also part of the job at a big club like Liverpool is knowing how to place big money bets on players. Martinez has zero experience with that.

Frankly I am amazed he was even considered and I am even more amazed that the obvious candidate Rafa is not being considered.

sneaky77

Imho because he has done very little. He hasnt done as well as Steve Bruce did at Wigan and he has not demonstrated any ability to get his teams playing a consistent style. Also part of the job at a big club like Liverpool is knowing how to place big money bets on players. Martinez has zero experience with that.

Frankly I am amazed he was even considered and I am even more amazed that the obvious candidate Rafa is not being considered.

Rafa Benitez should not really be the obvious candidate imo.. he has already been there, a lot of times 2nd chapters at the club are never as good.
I don't see the issue with Martinez, he achieved what he was asked.
I think AVB may be the best choice

Messi

They should hire Pep :p

0f0fc583fa57ec6582008d6c9f4f-grande.jpg

rodvik

Rafa Benitez should not really be the obvious candidate imo.. he has already been there, a lot of times 2nd chapters at the club are never as good.
I don't see the issue with Martinez, he achieved what he was asked.
I think AVB may be the best choice

Its true about Rafa, but he wants it, is the second choice of mast Liverpool fan I know (after Dalglish) and ..well he bloody won things with Liverpool :)

But yeah it could all go wrong as you say second times are generally poor.

Maybe Martinez could do well but its a gamble and if you are gambling like that it needs to be someone who the fans are really excited abut (like Villa fans are about OGS) I havet seen many Liverpool fans excited about Martinez.

AVB is interesting for sure. Not sure which way he would break. He would have Liverpool playing some pleasing stuff though I think.

Arnie

AVB is my preferred candidate, realistically. Klopp won't come, and I'm not too interested in Capello. Would rather not have Martinez, although the idea of a Catalan trifecta including Segura, Begiristain and Martinez does excite me a little, even though it shouldn't.

And Hodgson wasn't treated like shit, he had the team playing the worst football we'd ever seen, culminating in us losing at home to Northampton Town, a game that he said would always be tough. We lost to Everton and he called it our best performance of the season. Say what you want about Kenny but we played far nicer football and we never lost to Everton, let alone justified it.

We were 3 nil down at Ewood park for fucks sake, that wouldn't be tolerated at a club like Arsenal, and it wasn't here.

AVB's shown that he's good at signing players, and that's my main concern in the mean time. Our squad just isn't ready to challenge without a few quality additions.

elsk

Banned
Martinez is more likely to fail, at least in the first season. If you want to get results in the first season you need a "big name". And Martínez is an ok manager, just because he managed to win matches in the last part of league doesn't translate in being a good manager; there are a lot of things involved: players wanting to stay on first division, motivation, winning streak and obviously a part of tactics by Martínez but it took him a complete season to get that going.

I think Martínez should stay in Wigan at least one more season to prove if he can keep the end of the season level for the next season.

If it was my call, I would hire AVB (if he's a cool dude, if he's a cunt then no). And the Klopp rumors are plain stupid, why would he leave a winning side and a much better squad for the 'atm' Liverpool?

No offense, I always liked Liverpool because of their history and I respected them for that. But this season they looked like a circus.

Arnie

Martinez is more likely to fail, at least in the first season. If you want to get results in the first season you need a "big name". And Martínez is an ok manager, just because he managed to win matches in the last part of league doesn't translate in being a good manager; there are a lot of things involved: players wanting to stay on first division, motivation, winning streak and obviously a part of tactics by Martínez but it took him a complete season to get that going.

I think Martínez should stay in Wigan at least one more season to prove if he can keep the end of the season level for the next season.

I agree, Martinez is an appointment that inspires anxiety rather than positivity. There will no doubt be legions of diehard fans who believe Kenny should've been given more time, I'm one of them, and a big name appointment is the only real antidote to get positivity flowing again before the start of the season.

If it was my call, I would hire AVB (if he's a cool dude, if he's a cunt then no). And the Klopp rumors are plain stupid, why would he leave a winning side and a much better squad for the 'atm' Liverpool?

No offense, I always liked Liverpool because of their history and I respected them for that. But this season they looked like a circus.
I understand your point, and I agree that Dortmund have a far better squad and team than Liverpool at this moment, but that does not immediately mean an aspiring young manager would turn his nose up at the job.

The role of Liverpool manager is still a huge one. I'm sure Klopp knows all about the club and it's history as far back as a few years ago, and I don't think that disappears in such a short space of time. Our Champions League exploits in the second half of last decade will ensure that managers like Klopp still see the club as a positive challenge, rather than a sunken ship.

It makes it a harder appointment to make, coming from winning the Bundesliga to managing an average Liverpool side; but remember, Rafa came from a La Liga winning Valencia to an equally poor Liverpool team in 2004.

Messi

AVB is my preferred candidate, realistically. Klopp won't come, and I'm not too interested in Capello. Would rather not have Martinez, although the idea of a Catalan trifecta including Segura, Begiristain and Martinez does excite me a little, even though it shouldn't.

And Hodgson wasn't treated like shit, he had the team playing the worst football we'd ever seen, culminating in us losing at home to Northampton Town, a game that he said would always be tough. We lost to Everton and he called it our best performance of the season. Say what you want about Kenny but we played far nicer football and we never lost to Everton, let alone justified it.

We were 3 nil down at Ewood park for fucks sake, that wouldn't be tolerated at a club like Arsenal, and it wasn't here.

AVB's shown that he's good at signing players, and that's my main concern in the mean time. Our squad just isn't ready to challenge without a few quality additions.

olivia-wilde-wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-99.gif

Good points other than that swipe at arsenal's expense.

Hodgson was always back-pedaling after signing <shudder> Konchesky. That effing guy wasn't good enough to play for my West Ham, yet Roy thought he was a solid buy? My goodness.

My brother, who practically farts YNWA, wants Rafa back. I don't see it happening just after Dalglish's 2nd honeymoon ended in utter disaster.

Of all the British-based managers, I like Lambert the most. I found Norwich to be, from the 10 or so of their games I saw this year, far more attractive and composed than Rodgers' Swansea. Plus, he was a damn fine player that actually achieved things in Europe (Dortmund?), something I don't think the other candidates can really offer.

I don't know about AVB. Some success at Porto, followed by a dreadful 7-8 months at Chelsea. That the players loathed him is a worry about his ability to manage a room of 'star' players at Liverpool.

elsk

Banned
I don't know about AVB. Some success at Porto, followed by a dreadful 7-8 months at Chelsea. That the players loathed him is a worry about his ability to manage a room of 'star' players at Liverpool.

x730c.jpg

His problem was the divas. If a manager sees a problem with divas, he just sell them (see LvG at Bayern - Lucio, Luca Toni out).

His problem was the divas. If a manager sees a problem with divas, he just sell them (see LvG at Bayern - Lucio, Luca Toni out).

Oh, I didn't mean it results wise, but that he completely lost the dressing room. Giving it a bit more thought, I guess Liverpool don't really have the same personalities and bizarre expectations that Chelsea do.

Yeah, I wanna do this but I'm not sure if I could just find a job in a new country, or if I could do it and still afford to pay off my student loans.

Sucks.

I'm lucky that my parents helped me out as much as they did. Easy payments, although after my girl finishes grad school it may be a different story.

Move to South America (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay) is awesome and cheaper :)

I think that would be cool. We're actually planning a trip to Argentina next year. It isn't cheap to fly there though!

Then you know what must be done... :p

Never! She'll be coming with me. She wants to do that as much as I do!

I think I will go see The Dictator on sunday night. I really like Sasha Baron Cohen and Rafi

tumblr_lru9ohs4fT1qatmtdo1_250.gif

God I love the league, can't wait for the new season.

Love the League, don't think The Dictator looks that great, imo. We were going to see a movie tonight but nothing out looks like it is a must see to us. Including Avengers. It's hard to get up for another super hero movie. I'm just burned out on them. We wanted to see The 5-year Engagement, but it has a limited release, which meant we couldn't :(

Arnie

Rafa's a character, not a mentalist. Di Cannio's a mentalist. Holloway, to an extent, is a mentalist. Rafa's white milk in a bottle comment was hilarious. His rant at Ferguson was excellent (even if it may have cost us a league title). I'll never be able to say '27,000 people' without putting on a Spanish accent.

The long story short is many fans want him, some don't, but regardless he'd never even be considered. Not a chance in hell.

AVB's worked under the best coaches in the world, coached and produced one of the finest individual teams of the last few years, and shown he can spend money with aplomb. He's vastly more qualified for the role. As an aside, the Chelsea dressing room is unarguably different to Liverpool's. The Chelsea squad was erected with oil money, and each and every player was made to feel like they were world beaters. It's a squad built on ego.

Regardless of the exorbitant amount of money we paid for him, Downing isn't going to refuse one of AVB's orders, or text Henderson complaining that he didn't start the last game. I'm fairly sure he knows he's shite and would want all the help he can get.

To be honest I'm getting a bit tired of watching him scrape survival at the end of every season.

I've not seen it, but apparently The Dictator is terrible. I don't think it's possible for Sacha Baron Cohen to top Borat.

rodvik

Hodgson was always back-pedaling after signing <shudder> Konchesky. That effing guy wasn't good enough to play for my West Ham, yet Roy thought he was a solid buy? My goodness.

My brother, who practically farts YNWA, wants Rafa back. I don't see it happening just after Dalglish's 2nd honeymoon ended in utter disaster.

Of all the British-based managers, I like Lambert the most. I found Norwich to be, from the 10 or so of their games I saw this year, far more attractive and composed than Rodgers' Swansea. Plus, he was a damn fine player that actually achieved things in Europe (Dortmund?), something I don't think the other candidates can really offer.

Problem with Lambert is he has no gifs. How can you be taken seriously as a PL manager with no gifs?

I rest my case.

Messi

Love the League, don't think The Dictator looks that great, imo. We were going to see a movie tonight but nothing out looks like it is a must see to us. Including Avengers. It's hard to get up for another super hero movie. I'm just burned out on them. We wanted to see The 5-year Engagement, but it has a limited release, which meant we couldn't :(

By all accounts Avengers is THE superhero movie to see. But what do I know :p, ive not seen it. I can't wait for The 5-year Engagement, looks like it could be great.

Edit: How great is this new Dark Knight cover for the UK/Ireland Re-Release. Just wish that fucking banner was not on it.

511P7ISrqmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Arnie

Martinez, Lambert or Rogers would go down like a wet fart on Merseyside before they've even managed a single competitive fixture, fact. Criticise Liverpool fans all you want for that, but that's the truth given the current context. If you kill the king you better make sure whoever's usurped him is worthy of worship.

So it's the other side of that list that needs to be looked at, and I don't think most of them are realistic. Guardiola? :lol. Klopp? CL with Dortmund. AVB? Reports suggest he's interested and we're keen on talking to him.

sneaky77

wrong choice.. Avengers is amazing. Make sure you stay all the way till after credits.

elsk

Banned
I think that would be cool. We're actually planning a trip to Argentina next year. It isn't cheap to fly there though!

Prices are insane... I'm thinking in buying a ticket and then stay there and never look back :p
If you can, try to buy in Copa Airlines. They're the best. Lots of food and superb service.

GorillaJu

I like Martínez because I think his playing style would translate well to a big club. I think he's quite astute tactically and always holds a positive approach. We want to have a management structure where the manager's job would be almost entirely on the training pitch. I imagine you'd need a young, open minded manager which is why I think Capello would be a poor choice.

Those who demand a big name manager need only look at Italy for counter evidence. Conte was managing in Serie B after a poor managerial career, and now he's not only won the title in his first year at Juve, he's gone undefeated doing so. That's not to say that managers from lower standing are guaranteed success, but I think looking not at what a manager has done, but rather how he has done it, is important.

There's no similarities between Hodgson and Martínez, IMO. Hodgson was never going to work out.

My only apprehension with AVB is that he seemed to really have trouble with man management. I wouldn't mind having a squad with fresh faces which is what he'd bring, but I worry about unrest and drama surrounding Carragher, Gerrard, etc.

Salazar

Hodgson was never going to work out.

No fire in him. He gets handed the England job, an appointment that principally requires you to gibber wildly optimistic bollocks, and he says that they're going there to "do a job". Say you're going to fucking win it. Who gives a fuck. Say you're going to give it your best shot. Say that big tournaments are a lottery and you're going to fucking well buy a ticket.

I take the piss out of Keegan, but this is something he completely understood.

If Hodgson can't get adequately passionate about a throwaway circus like the Euros, then he stands no fucking chance over the course of a league campaign.

Meier

If Yaya can go back to Barcelona, he should. Completely deserves it after what he's done for City. His recent comments also pretty much suggests that he has no connection whatsoever with City other than paying his huge salary. The guy's connection still lies with Barcelona and not City.

I have a feeling that he'd be willing to go back to Barcelona even with a much smaller salary if he's guaranteed 1st team play. That'd be good for him.

Still, his age is the only problem..
Yaya has not made any comments that indicate he had no connection to City. Far from it. His money-grubbing agent has.

Now he might very well speak for Yaya but it's disingenuous to say that Yaya is making these comments because he isn't. He's saying everything exactly the opposite.

GorillaJu

To add, I don't even think Hodgson is the gentlemanly figure the media paints him as. His never ending diarrhea mouth about how he has decades of experience is grating as fuck. Who cares about experience if all you learned is to "rough up the striker" and defend deep and hoof it forward?

And the way he blamed our second string players for losing to Northampton Town still makes my blood boil. He respected the players to do their job but they didn't repay him that respect? No one respects you, you buffoon.

Now he might very well speak for Yaya but it's disingenuous to say that Yaya is making these comments because he isn't. He's saying everything exactly the opposite.

It's easy to use your agent as a meat shield to deflect criticism. If Yaya doesnt feel that way, he should tell his agent to stop sending the wrong signal.

You almost feel for City fans in that they can't seem to find a talisman to latch onto. Their best attacking players all want to leave, or seem open to it. They still have Hart and Kompany, but you'd want at least 11 players who respect the club and it's fans, no?

Zabojnik

If you think we're going to get overrun by Champions League talk, I can do it tomorrow. But it'll basically be Juve fans only since I don't think we have any real Napoli fans on this forum. I'm assuming it needs to go in OT community?

We are already dead.

Why accentuate and prolong our suffering? I forsee a Dortmund-style ownage on sunday. Cavani with a hattrick, Pirlo with two own goals. It's a good thing I'll be watching the match in a cinema with 3D glasses over my prescription ones. Probably won't see shit. :)

rodvik

No fire in him. He gets handed the England job, an appointment that principally requires you to gibber wildly optimistic bollocks, and he says that they're going there to "do a job". Say you're going to fucking win it. Who gives a fuck. Say you're going to give it your best shot. Say that big tournaments are a lottery and you're going to fucking well buy a ticket.

If Hodgson can't get adequately passionate about a throwaway circus like the Euros, then he stands no fucking chance over the course of a league campaign.

I actually agree with this. Well said.

sohois

I like Martínez because I think his playing style would translate well to a big club. I think he's quite astute tactically and always holds a positive approach. We want to have a management structure where the manager's job would be almost entirely on the training pitch. I imagine you'd need a young, open minded manager which is why I think Capello would be a poor choice.

Those who demand a big name manager need only look at Italy for counter evidence. Conte was managing in Serie B after a poor managerial career, and now he's not only won the title in his first year at Juve, he's gone undefeated doing so. That's not to say that managers from lower standing are guaranteed success, but I think looking not at what a manager has done, but rather how he has done it, is important.

There's no similarities between Hodgson and Martínez, IMO. Hodgson was never going to work out.

My only apprehension with AVB is that he seemed to really have trouble with man management. I wouldn't mind having a squad with fresh faces which is what he'd bring, but I worry about unrest and drama surrounding Carragher, Gerrard, etc.

As Arnie said above, the problem is that Liverpool got rid of Kenny Dalglish. If Hodgson had still been in charge and Liverpool went for a Martinez type there would be far fewer complaints from fans, it be seen as a definite step up. However, the only way you can make getting rid of a club legend palatable is to bring in a worthy successor, which the likes of Lambert & Martinez are not.

From a footballing perspective it is true that managers can really step up once they are given the big job, everyone has to start somewhere. However, what people are forgetting are that the vast majority of managers who make go on to a bigger club will fail, the odds are still heavily against an unproven manager making it with Liverpool, but people only remember the winners and thus assume a far higher proportion will be successful than is correct.

Scum

Salazar for England.

Roy Hodgson would disagree I should think. Liverpool fans treated him like shit and never gave him much of a chance.

Liverpool fans turned on Hodgson mostly for the bizarre things he said and did. Smiling after losing the derby, referring to Northampton as "formidable opponents", bigging up himself as being "much feted in the media", and saying his methods will translate just as well as when he was manager of Malmo, Orebro, and Neuchâtel Xamax. Then there was the mistreatment of players such as Agger and Reina, the awful football, and the dip into a relegation battle. Nevermind the fact that in 6 seasons of managing in English football, Hodgson only managed 13 away wins.

Out of his depth was right.

I agree, Martinez is an appointment that inspires anxiety rather than positivity. There will no doubt be legions of diehard fans who believe Kenny should've been given more time, I'm one of them, and a big name appointment is the only real antidote to get positivity flowing again before the start of the season.

I understand your point, and I agree that Dortmund have a far better squad and team than Liverpool at this moment, but that does not immediately mean an aspiring young manager would turn his nose up at the job.

The role of Liverpool manager is still a huge one. I'm sure Klopp knows all about the club and it's history as far back as a few years ago, and I don't think that disappears in such a short space of time. Our Champions League exploits in the second half of last decade will ensure that managers like Klopp still see the club as a positive challenge, rather than a sunken ship.

It makes it a harder appointment to make, coming from winning the Bundesliga to managing an average Liverpool side; but remember, Rafa came from a La Liga winning Valencia to an equally poor Liverpool team in 2004.
Klopp has ruled himself out already.

Of the likely appointments AVB is the best shout.

GorillaJu

Dortmund is really something special though. I hope they pick up their Champion's League form. Already good signs that they aren't letting go of Lewandowski, &#321;ukasz Piszczek etc.

I would never begrudge Klopp for not wanting to leave Dortmund.

Clegg

How has Bojan been in Serie A?

I remember all the hype surrounding him when he initially broke in the Barcelona team. But he was just too slight to make any real impact there.

elsk

Banned
How has Bojan been in Serie A?

I remember all the hype surrounding him when he initially broke in the Barcelona team. But he was just too slight to make any real impact there.

I don't think they'll buy him. That says a lot, I guess.
He had a few good matches but he's far from being a "key player" or anything like that, he was hyped because he was/is a Barcelona player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom