• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri_willy

GnyLG.jpg

Sorry, I was bored, it's really low-res btw because it took me about a minute.

sheamus much?

vytgR.jpg

z8FO9.jpg

So with AVB, Liverpool fans would be open to another season of middling results? I guess most would, since there would at least be the appearance of a trajectory.

Clegg

I don't think they'll buy him. That says a lot, I guess.
He had a few good matches but he's far from being a "key player" or anything like that, he was hyped because he was/is a Barcelona player.

Thats a shame. The hype around Bojan during his youth career was insane. I remember him being called the next Messi.

He's still young though so he has a chance of making it.

tri_willy

So with AVB, Liverpool fans would be open to another season of middling results? I guess most would, since there would at least be the appearance of a trajectory.

whats to say avb wouldnt do a great job with liverpool? each coaches successes/failures dont always reflect what they do with the next club, unless theyre completely shit

GorillaJu

I want to know who Chriswok thinks the next manager should be, because he's been right so far on just about everything. :p

I assumed Chelsea signed hm because he was playing decently with Bremen?

If he hasn't been playing well then the Chelsea move doesn't make much sense.

I think they just bought him because when you weigh his potential with his cost, he comes out favorably.

elsk

Banned
I assumed Chelsea signed hm because he was playing decently with Bremen?

If he hasn't been playing well then the Chelsea move doesn't make much sense.

I'm guessing it was more like Bremen trying to sell him ASAP. They're selling all their remaining "stars" to start a new project with only their youngsters.

He had on of his worst seasons, because the coach decided to use him as #10 and he doesn't work that well there... Chelsea surely got him because a) he was cheap, b) he looks like Messi.

Salazar

I'm just enjoying the rejuvenation of the Cult of Rafa.

ITK loon on RAWK said:
I had a little chat with a player's agent just before we were overtaken in the Premiership last season. I will not name him but he is a regular client. He came for a meal and I was serving him. He mentioned of a backroom situation in Anfield and that we will not win the title. We did not.

I'm almost crying.

Sloosha

Every time I've seen Bojan play this season (Admittedly, only on a few occasions) he's looked quite good. Wonder why he doesn't start ahead of Borini.

flyover

How much can they improve under anyone with the roster as it's currently constructed?

Of the teams that finished above them, which should they expect to overtake, considering their talent? Everton, probably. Newcastle, if they lose players or if this season was a fluke (and I'm not sure it was). Arsenal, maybe, if they lose RVP (though they always manage to finish top four).

Obviously, there will be roster turnover for all teams, but it will be tough to crack the top four or five for any new manager.

Unless Rafa, Lucas, and Aquilani are reunited. Then all bets are off.

Soi-Fong

Arsenal bringing the lulz with their negative net spend.

Even though I'm a United fan, I still love Arsenal though, just for what they bring to the game. Wenger's a freaking genius for doing what he has done so far for Arsenal. Sure, no trophies, but like this season, nobody would have expected their 3rd place finish.

If he had a just a bit more money to work with or want to spend, Arsenal would be beastly.

Clegg

The Arsenal youth culture is a strange thing imo.

They have plenty of good young players but no players that can be labelled as "great". Wilshere has a chance but he's running the risk of becoming a permacrock.

Wenger made the mistake of getting rid of his experienced players much too soon.

jtb

Banned
I'm surprised Stoke is so high. Then again, buying a 30 year old Crouchy for 10 million can't have been a great deal of business in the long-term... hardly sustainable.

Arsenal are still a side who flatter to decieve for me. They came back well after a terrible start to the season but they were still well off silverware and continued to show defensive frailties towards the end of the season. I think their possession game wasn't as good as it has been in the past this season.

Still a lot of work that needs to be done with that side. 4/5 players off a title challenging side IMO.

Soi-Fong

The Arsenal youth culture is a strange thing imo.

They have plenty of good young players but no players that can be labelled as "great". Wilshere has a chance but he's running the risk of becoming a permacrock.

Wenger made the mistake of getting rid of his experienced players much too soon.

Yeah, it's odd. Maybe, it's just been because of injury, but you never see Wilshere's name mentioned along with the likes of M'Villa, Gotze, Hazard, Neymar, etc..

I still believe though, he has the potential to be truly world class and be the "Paul Scholes," England needs.

Clegg

9 years ago Rooney was getting the hype that Gotze/Hazard are getting now. And he's lived up to that hype imo. He's a truly world class player.

Since Rooney, there hasn't been an English footballer that has lived up to the hype. Like I said, Wilshere has all the tools to be a very, very good midfielder. He just needs to keep fit.

I realise that this post might not make sense. Its a quarter to 7 in the morning and I haven't slept.

Soi-Fong

9 years ago Rooney was getting the hype that Gotze/Hazard are getting now. And he's lived up to that hype imo. He's a truly world class player.

Since Rooney, there hasn't been an English footballer that has lived up to the hype. Like I said, Wilshere has all the tools to be a very, very good midfielder. He just needs to keep fit.

What would you say of Cleverly actually? You think he has world class potential?

jtb

Banned
Yeah, it's odd. Maybe, it's just been because of injury, but you never see Wilshere's name mentioned along with the likes of M'Villa, Gotze, Hazard, Neymar, etc..

I still believe though, he has the potential to be truly world class and be the "Paul Scholes," England needs.

I dunno, Wilshere was hyped up way beyond any of those (besides maybe Neymar) after the 2-1 against Barcelona at the Emirates last season - I think it's a combination of injury (probably end up like Ramsey; a talent, but a shadow of what could've been) and he hasn't shown any signs of wanting to move, unlike M'Vila, Hazard, and Neymar who have been linked with clubs for years. Maybe the Ox can become another great player
hoping for the next gareth bale, rather than the next theo. plz.

Clegg

What would you say of Cleverly actually? You think he has world class potential?

No.

I think he could become a very decent footballer for us but not world class. He adds dynamism to Uniteds midfield and can pick out a decent pass but that certainly isn't enough to rank him amongst the worlds best.

I think United fans hype him up so much because he offers something a bit different to all our other midfielders.

No.

I dunno, Wilshere was hyped up way beyond any of those (besides maybe Neymar) after the 2-1 at the Emirates last season - I think it's a combination of injury (probably end up like Ramsey; a talent, but a shadow of what could've been) and he hasn't shown any signs of wanting to move, unlike M'Vila, Hazard, and Neymar who have been linked with clubs for years. Maybe the Ox can become another great player
hoping for the next gareth bale, rather than the next theo. plz.
Wilshere is going to be a top player. I'm sure of it. Unless his injuries really get in his way there is no reason for him not to. He was tremendous in his one full season at Arsenal, that was just a taster of things to come. He has been seen as a top talent since his days in the youth sides, he is far more gifted than any young English player right now that I've seen (apart from maybe Morrison but he's just a prick). Wilshere will be great, whether he can be an elite top 10 in the world player we'll find out, alot of that is down to luck and mental strength.

jtb

Banned
No.

Wilshere is going to be a top player. I'm sure of it. Unless his injuries really get in his way there is no reason for him not to. He was tremendous in his one full season at Arsenal, that was just a taster of things to come. He has been seen as a top talent since his days in the youth sides, he is far more gifted than any young English player right now that I've seen (apart from maybe Morrison but he's just a prick). Wilshere will be great, whether he can be an elite top 10 in the world player we'll find out, alot of that is down to luck and mental strength.

Agreed. Arsene has completlely lost it when it comes to developing defenders and forwards, but he still has a knack with midfielders. And no one knows mental strength like Arsene. Hopefully Ramsey can come back too... he's had glimpses of promise, like the win over United last season, but when you miss a year right when you're really developing... that shit sets you back. I used to rate Ramsey over Wilshere before the leg-break... though Ramsey's game is a bit more physical, more box-to-box than Wilshere's, so we'll see how he recovers from the injury and how heavily he's used next season.

Clegg

Ramsey played too much football this season. He needed to be eased into the team after recovering from his leg break but the injury to Wilshere screwed that up.

I think he has a lot of potential but asking him to be a major part of the midfield was too much. Especially after just coming back from a serious injury.

Clegg

Community is dead.

Dan Harmon has been removed from his position as showrunner.

Season 4 will have a new showrunner and changes in the writing staff.

#sixseasonsandamovie

Salazar

You didn't read all my post did you? Or you don't understand where I'm coming from, but I'm ok with it.

I just think it's untrue. Paying fuck-off huge wages means you diminish your capacity to dial wages down. Win the league or not. Go far in the CL or not. All that means is more money coming in, not that players and agents will settle for less.

*Insert City player/City transfer target* doesn't sit down with his agent and think to himself "Wow, City really are a super Big Club now. I don't need as much money. I'm just happy being at such a Big Club. Good old trophies".

dc89

I just think it's untrue. Paying fuck-off huge wages means you diminish your capacity to dial wages down. Win the league or not. Go far in the CL or not. All that means is more money coming in, not that players and agents will settle for less.

*Insert City player/City transfer target* doesn't sit down with his agent and think to himself "Wow, City really are a super Big Club now. I don't need as much money. I'm just happy being at such a Big Club. Good old trophies".

But if you look to the long term future of the club, by 2027 they want in their own words ‘measurable commitment to maintaining a percentage of the first team squad as home grown from 2027’.

So if City can bring good enough youth talent through there is no reason why the wage bill can't fall in line with most other clubs.

Rad-

Ronaldo also told Sky Sports News he was disappointed to see former club Manchester United lose their Barclays Premier League crown to neighbours Manchester City - and not just because it cost him money.

"I saw a few days ago (City scored) two goals in the last minute, 91 and 93. I had a bet that Manchester United would win the league but I lost," he said.

"I feel very disappointed because United is still in my heart.

"City have a fantastic team now, but I think Manchester (United) will carry on being king of England in my opinion."

Turning to his own future, Ronaldo declared himself happy at the Bernabeu but declined to make any long-term predictions.

"The future? Nobody knows. (But) I feel very happy here. It's a great club, fantastic fans...it's great.

"In one year or two you never know. A man's head is always complicated."

Ronnie come back home. :p

sohois

But if you look to the long term future of the club, by 2027 they want in their own words ‘measurable commitment to maintaining a percentage of the first team squad as home grown from 2027’.

So if City can bring good enough youth talent through there is no reason why the wage bill can't fall in line with most other clubs.

Every club wants that. It seems like for years Chelsea have been pumping money into their youth system, chopping and changing constantly and paying big sums for the best 16 yr olds. It has produced fuck all.

Even for the teams who lack oil money producing a lot of youth talent is very difficult, it is even harder when the owners demand constant success and can simply buy up talented players to fill any position. Arsenal have just about managed to have a large number of youth players and remain in the champions league, but it has still come at the cost of no silverware since 04. I cannot see City being any different from Chelsea in the end, promising much but being too impatient to give youth and the youth systems a chance.

GorillaJu

3D movie theatres here are showing the CL final but it's at 3:45 in the morning... Traveling pretty much makes it impossible for me to get a power nap, watch the game then sleep again, like I originally planned.

Salazar, what are you planning on doing? The sensible or the unresponsible?

I'm going to be nice and concede a point about Cleverly: he may never be "world class" but he may become the kind of player who fits in a world class team. I honestly haven't seen enough of him to say, but he does seem to keep up with the team when they're on the ball and that's a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom