• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloosha

Well we do have Todd Kane, Chalobah and Betrand in the squad for the CL final.

Can't believe we never gave Stoch a chance though. We could have used him this season.

Salazar

Salazar, what are you planning on doing? The sensible or the unresponsible?

I'm going to watch West Ham and then fall asleep.

Or start watching West Ham and fall asleep. We'll see, I guess. They are a Sam team.

I'm going to be nice and concede a point about Cleverly: he may never be "world class" but he may become the kind of player who fits in a world class team. I honestly haven't seen enough of him to say, but he does seem to keep up with the team when they're on the ball and that's a good sign.

That's about right. He is just quick, aggressively moves into space, looks for the ball, is capable of shifting it dangerously around the box, shouldn't get muscled off it unless it's some fucking Ent like Fellaini, has a tidy short pass and a subtle long one, beats players with the movement of the ball (which I really like to see), is good at helping defenders move it out, doesn't shirk a bit of defensive chasing but doesn't mistake it for his job.

That is enough to excite me, really. He is potentially a gigantic performance-multiplier for players like Welbeck and Rooney. If a team gives him space to operate in the middle, he will be dangerous in his own right; if they don't, then I think he has the wit and technical ability (YES, THO HE IS ENGLISH) to hold it together.

GorillaJu

I'm going to watch West Ham and then fall asleep.

Or start watching West Ham and fall asleep. We'll see, I guess. They are a Sam team.

A guy I play futsal with actually opined that WHU deserve to go up over Blackpool because the PL doesn't need more "defensive football." I agree with the sentiment, but doesn't he have the teams switched?

Salazar

I'm fairly bitter about futsal/indoor. I scraped most of the skin off my palm on Thursday night, and we lost heavily. I scored a deeply elegant consolation goal, but it was still a fucking woeful time.

I'd like West Ham up because I'm curious about Morrison at the top level. I think we were right to get rid, but I want to see him have a crack at it. Of course, it's intensely likely that

a) Sam won't play him, because he doesn't see how a playmaker works.
b) Ravel will cock it up bigstyle and go to prison or get dropped/transfer listed.

That's about right. He is just quick, aggressively moves into space, looks for the ball, is capable of shifting it dangerously around the box, shouldn't get muscled off it unless it's some fucking Ent like Fellaini, has a tidy short pass and a subtle long one, beats players with the movement of the ball (which I really like to see), is good at helping defenders move it out, doesn't shirk a bit of defensive chasing but doesn't mistake it for his job.

That is enough to excite me, really. He is potentially a gigantic performance-multiplier for players like Welbeck and Rooney. If a team gives him space to operate in the middle, he will be dangerous in his own right; if they don't, then I think he has the wit and technical ability (YES, THO HE IS ENGLISH) to hold it together.

Agreed. The best thing about him is his awareness. He makes a mistake once in a blue moon because he's always moving intelligently, sees the best pass, and retains innate aggression. He's certainly not going to be as complete or talented a midfielder as Scholes, but he's got the mental qualities of his game down pat. I don't think you'll describe him as world class at any point in the future, but I do think he could become a vital cog in a world class midfield. Basically, he's the kind of midfielder you'll see quite often rise to national prominence in Spain or Germany or France, but is in scarce supply within England.

Salazar

sLEpF.gif

GorillaJu

I love Sid Lowe. I haven't looked at any replies to him but I can completely guess the contents of what's being said.

Wow, lots of people going very mad. Apparently I've said Luis Suarez wants to leave? Erm, when? I've said nothing of the sort.

What I said, in a response to a mate (not a tweet announcing anything), was that, yes, Suarez is considering what to do now....

And of course he bloody is. Dalglish has gone, LFC haven't made Europe, there's no coach and a (temporary?) power vacuum, uncertainity...

....And plenty of other options. Teams who are interested in him. Frankly, that strikes me as entirely natural.

Sorry, Europe yes. Champions League, no.

Good grief. Stop it. Please.

Proper bricking it now, having flashbacks to the 03/04 play-off final against Palace. Hopefully today'll be more like 04/05, but with more goals scored on our end.

Come on you rip roaring, goal scoring Irons!

No, I Meant by West Ham. Just looked it up and it was twitter rumours.

Nolan was mucking about in training and made some joke about Ravel being 'gangster', and the kid reacted badly apparently, squaring up to Nolan.

Regardless, Sam always said he was one for the future and wouldn't play a part this season, but hopefully Morrison can get his head screwed on right and sort out his attitude to play a part next year (hopefully in the Premiership).

Enjoy the Champions League match guys. Good luck to fans of both sides. Antioch, Blablurn, elsk, Fry8, Hasphat'sAnts, Hieberrr, Nemic77, spidye, Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Woodenlung, and of course FadyK. I'm sorry for anyone I forgot, but I wish you all the best!

I'm sorry I can't watch with you guys :(

Salazar, do you work for Tom Cleverley as PR?

:lol brilliant! <3

Enjoy the Champions League match guys. Good luck to fans of both sides. Antioch, Blablurn, elsk, Fry8, Hasphat'sAnts, Hieberrr, Nemic77, spidye, Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Woodenlung, and of course FadyK. I'm sorry for anyone I forgot, but I wish you all the best!

I'm sorry I can't watch with you guys :(

Thanks! I think I have the right attitude for this Final cause I really don't think we will win....but if we do I may break into tears haha.

Facism

Just watched an interview with Eboue on Turkish TV. Mostly about how he loves the country and playing galatasaray, how he's best friends forever with Melo and that he really want's Kalou to come and play with him at Galatasaray.

dc89

Not even close to the same. Salazar is like a slightly subtler Kyoufu. His fanboyism is rampant but he's not a propaganda machine for United.

He's a propaganda machine for one player.

Imagine he wound up at Barca! Would the machine go on as a well oiled one, or would it be left to rust and ruin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom