• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
AsKrIqxCIAATaQl.jpg

Apparently those people are Guardiola and his family. Seriously sad.

Emotional photo

TrueBlue

Checking in for the fist time from before the game today. Yuss! FA cup winners!

Liverpool's second goal wasn't all the way over the line imo, but they were by far the better side for the last 30-40 minutes and had me shitting myself. As usual when we're up against a bit of pressure we crumble, but at least we held out. So chuffed.

Man, the last half hour was torture. I felt like my heart was gonna jump out with every attack they made. So glad we held on for the trophy. Do you think RDM should just rest most of the first team for Munich now? I mean, if Newcastle or Spurs win, that more or less makes it impossible for us to get fourth, right?

Commiserations to any L'Pool fans btw. You gave a good game for the last half hour, you've got potential to be sure.

Carbonox

I wouldn't be so optimistic if I were you. Yes we will offer him a new contract, but that doesn't mean he'll stay. It doesn't mean Mike Ashley won't sell him either.

However, if we did keep our players next season then that means Ashley will want to strengthen the club rather than profit off star sales. He sold Carroll and Enrique so I'm not really confident he won't do the same with Ba and others.

Not one club would turn down 35m for Carroll, someone who was only awesome for 6 months. He was otherwise still relatively inexperienced and young. Was a no brainer, irrelevant of how annoying it was at the time. That sale HAD to happen.

With Jose Enrique, he pretty much wanted to leave. Barton pissed off the hierarchy to the point of no return.

It's an entirely different situation now, especially with the financial strength of the club now. I do think we'd sell Ba if we got a ridiculous offer but teams aren't just gonna throw money around frequently so we'll be very lucky if we get any offers we deem suitable. Just cos we get offered some random number for a player doesn't mean we'll get rid of them straight up. Gonna take some idiotic offers to get Ashley to sell now that he's finally got the club where he wants it, financially AND in terms of on the pitch. Not even he would be so messed up in the head to throw that away. Not one single thing in the past would be even remotely as retarded as what it would be for him to fuck this up now. If he manages the impossible, I'm done with the club, pure and simple.

So yeah, I'm very optimistic.

Arnie

Noticed that before kick off. That and the "Graham Norton was inside Didier Drogba last night" line were the two flashes of entertainment in what was a generally hellish experience.

I know it's been said time and time again but football really is a game of such minute margins. If Carroll's header was just a fraction more to the left we could've taken the game to extra time and perhaps, given the momentum, won the cup. Carroll would've also gained the recognition he deserved.

But all credit to Chelsea, they started the game much stronger and dominated play for 60 minutes. Just like against Barca they executed their plan better than we did.

Chris R

Oh and pretty cool that Chelsea won today. Wish I could have seen the game, oh well. Would be nice to win the CL too with the terrible performance in the Premiership this year.

Man, the last half hour was torture. I felt like my heart was gonna jump out with every attack they made. So glad we held on for the trophy. Do you think RDM should just rest most of the first team for Munich now? I mean, if Newcastle or Spurs win, that more or less makes it impossible for us to get fourth, right?

Commiserations to any L'Pool fans btw. You gave a good game for the last half hour, you've got potential to be sure.
Yeah, I say stick what young players we have available on. At this point 4th would completely rely on the results of others which isn't good enough. I'd rather we had a as strong a squad possible for the UCL final. I sort of fancy our chances.

Noticed that before kick off. That and the "Graham Norton was inside Didier Drogba last night" line were the two flashes of entertainment in what was a generally hellish experience.

I know it's been said time and time again but football really is a game of such minute margins. If Carroll's header was just a fraction more to the left we could've taken the game to extra time and perhaps, given the momentum, won the cup. Carroll would've also gained the recognition he deserved.

But all credit to Chelsea, they started the game much stronger and dominated play for 60 minutes. Just like against Barca they executed their plan better than we did.
That Graham Norton line was odd :lol

Liverpool were unfortunate today. My nerves were wrecked for the last 30 mins.

Arnie

Liverpool were unfortunate today. My nerves were wrecked for the last 30 mins.

Unfortunate not to equalise, but there wasn't a huge sense of injustice at the final whistle; more a realisation that we've shot ourselves in the foot. I think Chelsea fans will admit that their team weren't exactly spectacular today, and we conceded two very poor goals.

It's interesting that Reina had a generally poor game in the final of 2006, extra time and penalties not withstanding, and was similarly ineffective today. In fact I'd say the differing performances of both keepers was, for me, the biggest factor in the result today. If Reina saves that simple one and Cech doesn't manage the wonder save near the end then it'd be a completely different story.

Although I'm definitely distraught to have lost, there is a sense that winning it might have papered over the cracks, not that I'm legitimising losing in any way. I think we need to look at this season realistically and not with the glint of silver fresh in our eyes, which might've been the case.

Lastly I think that if Carroll had rescued us, as it were, there might be a greater temptation to say, "You no what, we don't need to invest in a striker", which I think definitely isn't the case, despite Andy's great effort today.

Clegg

Does Reina have a tendency to get beaten at his near post?

I've seen a few games this season where he's conceded goals because of poor positioning.

xintin

Wow, 11hr workday, busy as fuck. Got home in time to catch the 2nd half on a replay and seeing Chelsea lift the cup at the end made it all worth it :) Even if the last 30mins were all Liverpool

Kyoufu

SO NERVOUS ABOUT THE GAME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I took a nap earlier so now I'm not going to be able to fall asleep... dammit.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Fraser! I hope we sell him to Celtic as he deserves to be the number 1 somewhere. Class keeper.
Think he's got aspirations elsewhere sadly from what I'm hearing, and he's put in a good enough performance (especially against Udinese and Athletico) to get a move somewhere decent. Good luck to him if he does.

Being overlooked for the England squad is one of the big things that hit players like him up here and I'm not sure why it happens (wait, yes I am, it's the SPL so they must all automatically be shit). Players like Chris Sutton, Alan Thompson, etc were scoring against Barcelona and Juventus on a weekly basis and never got a look-in. Why isn't Gary Hooper in the under 21s? He scored almost 50 goals over the past 2 seasons. Ah but it's easy to score up here, right? Never mind that Jelavic is scoring more goals for Everton than Rangers. Never mind that Charlie Adam was booed for being the worst player in the Rangers squad. It's all tragic really.

Carbonox

Think he's got aspirations elsewhere sadly from what I'm hearing, and he's put in a good enough performance (especially against Udinese and Athletico) to get a move somewhere decent. Good luck to him if he does.

Being overlooked for the England squad is one of the big things that hit players like him up here and I'm not sure why it happens (wait, yes I am, it's the SPL so they must all automatically be shit). Players like Chris Sutton, Alan Thompson, etc were scoring against Barcelona and Juventus on a weekly basis and never got a look-in. Why isn't Gary Hooper in the under 21s? He scored almost 50 goals over the past 2 seasons. Ah but it's easy to score up here, right? Never mind that Jelavic is scoring more goals for Everton than Rangers. It's all tragic really.

Yeah it's criminal that Forster hasn't had a look-in and shite like Robert Green get selected.

GorillaJu

Does Reina have a tendency to get beaten at his near post?

I've seen a few games this season where he's conceded goals because of poor positioning.

This year, yeah it's been a problem. He's had a poor season by his standards. He still makes at least two or three perfect passes all the way from box to box, and he has a great command of the area... but you can take it from the man himself. It's been a poor year.

This result makes me think that Kenny will be stepping down in the summer. We won't sack him, but he might get a suggestive message from the owners saying "thanks for the effort."

Messi

This year, yeah it's been a problem. He's had a poor season by his standards. He still makes at least two or three perfect passes all the way from box to box, and he has a great command of the area... but you can take it from the man himself. It's been a poor year.

This result makes me think that Kenny will be stepping down in the summer. We won't sack him, but he might get a suggestive message from the owners saying "thanks for the effort."

This is what I also assume will happen.

Salazar

Can't put all the blame on the keeper with such horrid defending.

That moment when Holt was sprinting right at him and he still - while square on - controlled it on his chest and put in a pissweak effort at a clearance that went straight into Holt.

He deserved to get punished there. It was Barthez-like, except shit.

Sage00

Once And Future Member

Kenny was moved to a DoF role at Celtic rather than sacked after his time as manager, since he had a good relationship with the club / was generally good to have around for morale and knowledge (until MON required he leave as a condition for taking the manager job). Could see a similar situation at Liverpool.

Kyoufu

I'm going to be such a nervous wreck come the game...

I was already sweating bullets on Wednesday, but this game is going to be very atmospheric so it'll just increase nerves even more.

I'm so worried GAF fuck ugh. Biggest game of the season.

TeegsD

I'm going to be such a nervous wreck come the game...

I was already sweating bullets on Wednesday, but this game is going to be very atmospheric so it'll just increase nerves even more.

I'm so worried GAF fuck ugh. Biggest game of the season.

No pressure...
You guys better freaking win!

Lightning

Banned
Can't put all the blame on the keeper with such horrid defending.
It's not just Szcz but Vermaelen as well. Kos had his moments, it was just horrendous but that first goal set the tone and Szcz should have stopped that. That was sloppy.

It was just a week or two ago when you were singing his praises :p

It was also just a week or two ago when you were so confident Arsenal had it easy for 3rd :p
I am just pissed at him for now, it will pass. Nothing has changed, Szczesny is still a top class keeper but he let us down with that first goal and I feel he could have done better with the 3rd goal as well.

And 3rd is gone now. 5th spot most likely but we may get 4th if we're lucky and pray for a Bayern Munich victory...

Carbonox

I'm in the mood for a fucking kebab but its 10 past 4 in the morning. My sleeping pattern is so nerfed that I'm not tired and I will no doubt not wake up until stupid o'clock tomorrow as well.

Zabojnik

Tomorrow will be hard to forget, one way or another.

I'll become an hikikomori if we lose the scudetto.

Tell me about it. This is the first time since the unlucky 2003 CL final that I fell like I'll never recover if we don't make history. I'm sure I would, however, because no matter how it ends, we're finally back after six years of pure football hell. NOI VOGLIAMO QUESTA VITTORIA!

Clegg

I haven't been able to get much sleep this week so I thought I'd try to get my sleeping patterns back to normal. I went to sleep at 11pm on Friday night and I didn't wake up until 1.30pm Saturday afternoon. I probably would have slept longer too except my phone was ringing.

Now I can't get to sleep again and my sleep pattern is screwed.

GorillaJu

I haven't been able to get much sleep this week so I thought I'd try to get my sleeping patterns back to normal. I went to sleep at 11pm on Friday night and I didn't wake up until 1.30pm Saturday afternoon. I probably would have slept longer too except my phone was ringing.

Now I can't get to sleep again and my sleep pattern is once again screwed.

Happened to me as well this weekend. Not looking forward to trying to sleep tonight.

I'm into fighting games, so one thing I can do is play a shit load of a fighting game against the computer. Like 3+ hours. Then when I'm laying down, the monotonous drone of my brain telling me to do my combos puts me to sleep nice and fast.

3 hours of Tekken 6 today!

Sealda

Banned
Its 5:30 AM here...well i woke up at 4 PM so immalright.

I do not understand why people expect City to win the league. They are very unpredictable, much more so than ManU. Just the way City lost their last lead with a load of poor results. The way, they went out of the CL too.

Winning over Newcastle will not be a walk in the park. I will not be surprised it they tie.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Keep hatin'.

Admit it, this season Madrid has been better than Barca in the whole picture. Enjoy La Copa, if you win it.

Like Casillas said, Barelona is a fashion, and every fashion ends. Time to move on, enjoy the last four years and bow below the true king.

Real Madrid is back, bitches.

... lol

Choc

Banned
everything wrong with football today is in this statement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17967968

Scottish Premier League clubs are seeking more information on preferred bidder Bill Miller's plans for Rangers.

But Kilmarnock chairman Michael Johnston thinks it is likely they will remain in the top flight, even if it is in the guise of a newly formed company.
"Members see the commercial benefits of having Rangers, even as a newco," Johnston told BBC Scotland.
"The clubs are mindful of a sporting integrity aspect but the commercial benefits may outweigh that."

sad

Sloosha

Happened to me as well this weekend. Not looking forward to trying to sleep tonight.

I'm into fighting games, so one thing I can do is play a shit load of a fighting game against the computer. Like 3+ hours. Then when I'm laying down, the monotonous drone of my brain telling me to do my combos puts me to sleep nice and fast.

3 hours of Tekken 6 today!

Haha, I do the same thing, except with UMvC3 and SF. Are you looking forward to Tekken Tag 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom