• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I'm watching the Mayweather/Cotto fight and the ring girl looks like French rugby player Aurelien Rougerie.

13-aurelien-rougerie.JPG

Oh God why aren't I asleep?

GorillaJu

Haha, I do the same thing, except with UMvC3 and SF. Are you looking forward to Tekken Tag 2?

Well TTT2 is already out in arcades here and my local game center has a row of about 10 machines so I've had plenty of chances to play it. But I'm really, really bad compared to the average Japanese guy.

Thankfully my gf's brother is beastly in all Tekkens and he's helping me improve.

Kozak

Banned
Wahey my game is number 5 in Android paid sports games in the UK.

In your faces EA and Konami!

jBLRhl4Nm5wg1.PNG

Wow nice man. I'm just remembering back on an image on how profitable apps are, only 41% are successful. Would you say you've been successful? Is it really tough to get these things going and has it been all self promotion or have you paid for advertising?

Zabojnik

Heavy rain is expected during Cagliari - Juve tonight. Guys, I'm having Perugia flashbacks. Full panic mode on. Someone hold me.

Pff, BS. Yes, City, Chelsea and Real Madrid ruined the market, but you can still buy huge talents for cheap. You just have to look harder.

For example, Hazard is the most hyped winger in the freaking world right now. Obviously he will try to get huge money, but he isn't that amazing tbh. Any good winger from PSV could do better than him and for around 10m. You can also look in markets like Germany (first, second divison) for talents. They usually cost less than 10m. There are talents everywhere in the bundesliga.

Also, in regions like "north" latin america (Honduras, Costa Rica, México, Colombia, Ecuador) you can find amazing player for cheap. For example: Emilio Izaguirre, LB - Celtic payed 700,000 euros for him.

SAF is becoming lazy, IMO. Obviously a player from EPL or overhyped players like Hazard are going to cost huge amounts of money because that's how the market works.

I don't know. Is he being a bit disingenuous with his comments? On one hand, he says there's no value in the market; on the other, him and his scouting network have found gems like Smalling, Chicharito and Pogba in recent years - as well as duds like Bebe and Obertan, to be fair. I think he's talking with bitterness about ready-made players who can perform at the top level against top competition. He got burned putting all his eggs into signing either Sneijder or Nasri last summer, after all.

My hope this summer is that we have a strong and certain back-up to our prime target. If the rumours are to be believed, then we're doing that with the Kagawa deal in place if (or, more likely, when) Hazard goes to City. Personally, I think we should sign him no matter what. Class player.

I happen to think that we're going to be just fine. I think there's some sabre rattling going on behind the scenes at the club because of the lack of investment and Rooney's 'camp' sounding off is part of it.

I don't think Pog is going yet and I think we'll get Kagawa and a few others too.

Primarily, it's a matter of perception. We just lost the Manchester derby. It's unsurprising that a negative slant on everything will follow. The media is, for the most part, lazy and will go with the narrative that's out there.

Salazar

David James on pundit-land said:
I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works behind the scenes. I've always wondered what the TV pundits do when the game is in flow. Apparently Alan Shearer is glued to the action, Lawro tells me there's someone who fetches you stats, while Robbie Savage just seems to sit and scroll through Twitter. It's quite a responsibility, though, being a pundit. I definitely want to avoid the cliches, and I want to get the information right.

There is presumably someone who comes and mops up Jamie's drool, also.

FootballFan

Keep hatin'.

Admit it, this season Madrid has been better than Barca in the whole picture. Enjoy La Copa, if you win it.

Like Casillas said, Barelona is a fashion, and every fashion ends. Time to move on, enjoy the last four years and bow below the true king.

Real Madrid is back, bitches.

fantastic post........

Meier

Less than 6 hours to go.. I'm kinda scared to go to bed because that means when I wake up it'll be game time. :|

Salazar

If the Mail is right (minute chance, I know), and Pogba's decision really was communicated in a letter from Mino to Gill, then he should be ashamed. That's infantile stuff.

Swiped from caf

BNmjq.png

This year, yeah it's been a problem. He's had a poor season by his standards. He still makes at least two or three perfect passes all the way from box to box, and he has a great command of the area... but you can take it from the man himself. It's been a poor year.

This result makes me think that Kenny will be stepping down in the summer. We won't sack him, but he might get a suggestive message from the owners saying "thanks for the effort."

Reina's been getting worse ever since Xavi Valero (former GK coach) left with Rafa for Inter. He's currently sitting on his arse at home on Merseyside seeing out the final month of his contract with them ('gardening leave' I think they call it). He needs to come back in ASAP in my opinion, fantastic coach who really knew how Pepe worked. Helped the strikers a lot too.

I also think Kenny will move upstairs or into an ambassadorial role again. They'll want to appoint someone like Txiki Begiristain to the DoF role. God knows who'll be manager. I hope for Benitez or AVB, but really who'd want to be LFC manager right now with the players we have and the stadium issue still not solved?

FootballFan

If the Mail is right (minute chance, I know), and Pogba's decision really was communicated in a letter from Mino to Gill, then he should be ashamed. That's infantile stuff.

Swiped from caf

BNmjq.png

haha tbf no-one should claim it is a goal unless they are 100% sure it is over the line.

I remember a paper photoshopping our players to make them offside, forgot which paper it was.

edit
Ahh it was AS.
Found it

Choc

Banned
it was not 100% over the line and so under the rules its not a goal

just so you know guys it is a regulation and rule that the cross bar of the posts MUST be the exact same width as the goal line so that its easier to see for the AR. If the ball isn't 100% past the goal bar, its no goal

We desperately need goal line tech though, this shit is getting ridiculous.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
If that's your only point to say that he's not the best player in the world... I'm sure for you Raul is better...LOL.

World cups are won because of a team, and not only because of a player.
Maradona.
3 times? If Messi went back to the 50s he would have 3 wcs by the time he would be 16. 9 WC would be more realistic, he would have been the first 48 year old to win the wc.
This is one of the dumbest arguments I've heard in this thread and I like Messi's play.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm having surgery on my left eye after an hour :O So yea..I'm going to watch our game with one eye only
k1Der.gif

Maybe it's for the best?

Tomorrow will be hard to forget, one way or another.

I'll become an hikikomori if we lose the scudetto.

Heavy rain is expected during Cagliari - Juve tonight. Guys, I'm having Perugia flashbacks. Full panic mode on. Someone hold me.

That's it, I'm moving to Tibet to become a monk. At least I won't hear about football over there.

dc89

Interesting from Ferguson re finance. All would agree that "nobody can match [City's] financial power", at least in England. But #MUFC make enough £ to be able to match or come close to City wage bill without discomfort. But that's difference between owners who invest and owners who suck money out. If competition b/w Manchester clubs has levelled or become distorted, it's due to 2 owners, not 1

@Oliverkaytimes

Lightning

Banned
But on the plus side, at least you'd actually have a chance of winning that trophy...

That's why I wouldn't mind ending up in the EL, as a good run in there is very realistic.
If we end up in there I would want us to play our reserves and focus on the premier league and securing CL football. Fuck the trophy....

Wilbur

Banned
Just woke up, catching up on the United talk. I think it's a given we won't be getting Hazard and Pogba's going. Kagawa I'm not even confident of getting, is there any actual source for me to believe he'll come here rather than our scouts doing a shit job and he goes somewhere else?

I'm bracing myself for one or two cheap deals before the Euros and hoping one can do a Chicharito, but that's all I really expect. SAF just seems to accept the Glazers position, I don't know why. If he kicked up a fuss they could hardly sack him.

dc89

Just woke up, catching up on the United talk. I think it's a given we won't be getting Hazard and Pogba's going. Kagawa I'm not even confident of getting, is there any actual source for me to believe he'll come here rather than our scouts doing a shit job and he goes somewhere else?

I'm bracing myself for one or two cheap deals before the Euros and hoping one can do a Chicharito, but that's all I really expect. SAF just seems to accept the Glazers position, I don't know why. If he kicked up a fuss they could hardly sack him.

Well one of the papers (The Guardian or The Times I think) have printed made up quotes this morning so...

Lightning

Banned

Didn't Man U spend a bit last season? If I recall they did so they will spend.

LegoArmo

I'm watching Sunday Supplement, why are the press still peddling the lie that Villa fans don't like McLeish because of his Birmingham connections, and not because of the anti-football his teams have played his entire managerial career?

Salazar

I thought they bought the most expensive goal keeper to come to the Premier League nay, to come to England!

You really do need to stop suggesting even a shade of equivalency. Even as lulz.

In total, United's net spend over the past five years amounts to £51.6m. Which is considerably below the £25m per season the Glazers once promised. City's total is £418.9m, Chelsea £155.9m, Liverpool's £83.3m and Tottenham's £66.7m. Perhaps most surprisingly, Sunderland have also spent more than United, with £69.2m, as have Aston Villa on £68.4m. And who would have thought that Stoke, on £59.7m, would be more prolific spenders than England's best-supported club?

Wilbur

Banned
Well one of the papers (The Guardian or The Times I think) have printed made up quotes this morning so...

So my point still stands.

Didn't Man U spend a bit last season? If I recall they did so they will spend.

We did but I think Viva made the point that none of our buys (save De Gea, who dc very lovingly credits above) improved the first team. We bought Young who is lesser than our other two wingers, and two defenders. Obviously we needed them this season because we've had a lot of injuries, and they've done a good job overall, but we shouldn't have to rely on them being first team players in the first place.

We need a first choice right back, left back and centre midfielder for sure. Don't know what we'll get.

I thought they bought the most expensive goal keeper to come to the Premier League nay, to come to England!

Is there any difference in 'shock' when you say England and not the Premier League?

GorillaJu

City's total is £418.9m, Chelsea £155.9m, Liverpool's £83.3m and Tottenham's £66.7m.

untitled-89rxxj.gif

I feel a little better about that. Just a little.

I've backed Carroll since the start and still back him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom