• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not 100% sure but I understand that they can only sign players from their region, or players from another region that were in A.Bilbao youth teams. But in the end all of them need to be Spaniards.
Yep cklub policy players who play for them have to have Basque heritage.

Think Real Sociedad had the same policy until recently. I believe there's a Mexican club with a similar policy also.

Quite remarkable how well they do...and interesting also that there isn't some kind of ruling agaisnt it.

I'm not 100% sure but I understand that they can only sign players from their region, or players from another region that were in A.Bilbao youth teams. But in the end all of them need to be Spaniards.
What a bunch of nazis
j/k
That's interesting, but at least they don't have to be all Basks, as SpanishWrath pointed out (with Llorente being from La Roja).

Also:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf

If a player loses his footwear accidentally and immediately plays the ball and/or
scores a goal, there is no infringement and the goal is awarded because he lost
his footwear by accident.
:D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yep cklub policy players who play for them have to have Basque heritage.

Think Real Sociedad had the same policy until recently. I believe there's a Mexican club with a similar policy also.
Chivas (my club) only plays with Mexicans, though the policy is not as strict as in the past as we have started to accept United States-born Mexicans too.

Mind you it's not quite the same thing as Bilbao. We have a pool of about 150 million people from where to choose. The Basque country's population surely doesn't reach that number.

rodvik

Alright I am out. May I say how disappointed I am that Man U fans have taken this result on the chin and not risen to the many troll attempts I and others have tried.

This is unsporting guys. The least you can do is give fellow GAFFers the satisfaction of going batshit crazy post defeat. Doicare excepted who did his duty.

Fur_Q

Alex doing a doicare Injuries Injuries Injuries. Fair enough Injuries effect sides but get on with it and manage it the best you can stop moaning and groaning about it in public no one gives a shit.

People are smart enough to realize this on their own, but when you complain about it you get no sympathy.

doicare

You're projecting. The Premiership has not been a force in the CL since 2009. Barca and Real are light years ahead and the Italians are better too. No premiership team has stood a realistic chance of winning the CL since 2009 and in 2009 it was Chelsea who looked close to (and should have) beaten Barca.

The fact that this god awful United side, reliant on pensioners is possibly favourite to win the league this year is testament to the level we've fallen to in this country. Chelsea are packed full of players past their best, Citeh are managed by an idiot and the current Arsenal side is the worst in 16yrs. Let's not even talk about Liverpool and the dross they have on their books.
Just because Barca are the best team in the world and have deserved to win the champions league for the past 3 years (this year included in that number) doesn't change the fact that with the exception of this year, the premier leagues top 4 sides have done better than EVERY OTHER league in the world at champions league level. Having 1 or 2 Spanish/Italian teams reach the finals doesn't definitely make the WHOLE league better when the premier league has consistently got more teams to the quarter final stage than any other league for over 5 years now, it's not even close.

Wether you like it or not, United haven't played great for most of the season due to injuries, Arsenal are the same, Chelsea are a team in transition who need to now get rid of their old players who have been phenomenal over the years until now and Man City are a team that has just been built and will only get better over time. The premier league isn't shit, it's just bad timing that all of the above events have happened at the same time. That's not even mentioning Tottenham who have been great for most of the season and they'll probably finish in the top 4 and do well in the Champions league again like they did last season.

Alex doing a doicare Injuries Injuries Injuries. Fair enough Injuries effect sides but get on with it and manage it the best you can stop moaning and groaning about it in public no one gives a shit.

People are smart enough to realize this on their own, but when you complain about it you get no sympathy.
Ferguson has hardly complained about injuries this season. In fact, one of his most basic principles and a very classic United one is; no excuses.

He will be ripping into those players. What he says publicy most of the time is just to control the media.

doicare

If people want to troll United and the Premier league calling them shit then people are going to defend their team.

Clegg

He's hardly going to criticise his players in public.

He'll do that behind closed doors.

Madridy

Bielsa's era Argentina in 1998-2004 was the best Argentina team in the last 2 decades, they played an amazing style of football in the QF rounds of WC2002 and they were the favorites going in the tournament. So It was completely shocking how they went out in the first round!

That team had some amazing players too:
- Batistuta (peak)
- Veron (peak)
- Aimar (peak)
- C. Lopez (peak)
- Ortega (peak)
- Kily Gonzalez
- J. Zanetti
- R. Ayala (peak)
- Crespo
- Samuel
- Simeone

I miss playing with this team in Winning Eleven in the early 2000s :(

Fur_Q

Just because Barca are the best team in the world and have deserved to win the champions league for the past 3 years (this year included in that number) doesn't change the fact that with the exception of this year, the premier leagues top 4 sides have done better than EVERY OTHER league in the world at champions league level. Having 1 or 2 Spanish/Italian teams reach the finals doesn't definitely make the WHOLE league better when the premier league has consistently got more teams to the quarter final stage than any other league for over 5 years now, it's not even close.

Wether you like it or not, United haven't played great for most of the season due to injuries, Arsenal are the same, Chelsea are a team in transition who need to now get rid of their old players who have been phenomenal over the years until now and Man City are a team that has just been built and will only get better over time. The premier league isn't shit, it's just bad timing that all of the above events have happened at the same time. That's not even mentioning Tottenham have been great for most of the season and they'll probably finish in the top 4 and do well in Champions league again like they did last season.

It's not shit no, but it's way overated - and you can blame Sky and the tabloids for that. End of the day BSkyB pay a shitton of money to the premier league for the tv rights so they hype up the games like armageddon is going on and you lot lap that shit up (you lot meaning the masses and not the well informed Gaf member) it's exciting as fuck but the quality of football is no where near the level on the continent.

Fur_Q

Ferguson has hardly complained about injuries this season. In fact, one of his most basic principles and a very classic United one is; no excuses.

He will be ripping into those players. What he says publicy most of the time is just to control the media.

If people want to troll United and the Premier league calling them shit then people are going to defend their team.

He's hardly going to criticise his players in public.

He'll do that behind closed doors.

Did you lot see his Aljazeera interview because that's the one i'm on about.

He was very apologetic and kept bangin on about missing players and that cleverly nearly made it etc etc

doicare

It's not shit no, but it's way overated - and you can blame Sky and the tabloids for that. End of the day BSkyB pay a shitton of money to the premier league for the tv rights so they hype up the games like armageddon is going on and you lot lap that shit up (you lot meaning the masses and not the well informed Gaf member) it's exciting as fuck but the quality of football is no where near the level on the continent.
I know it's all just hypothetical but if you took the top 20 English teams and played them against the top 20 Spanish teams home and away in a giant league (40 team league lol) i honestly believe that more English teams would finish in the top 20 than Spanish teams.

Salazar

Did you lot see his Aljazeera interview because that's the one i'm on about.

He was very apologetic and kept bangin on about missing players and that cleverly nearly made it etc etc

All managers do this. With varying degrees of justification.

I also call bs on this English league is shit nonsense, obviously the league is weak this season but that has mostly just been this season, the English has been quite good for the past few years and will no doubt regain lost strength soon enough, jumping to conclusions based on this fairly lackluster season is no way to judge anything.

Pranay

People are taking "bpl = shit" too seriously.

TBH i dont hate Bpl but i hate how the media has over hyped the league, yeah bpl has been the strongest league in the last few years but every top league goes through such face.

Im glad to see other teams improving and rebuilding their squad and seeing other leagues doing well.

I would anyday have more 3 and 4 competivtive leagues doing well rather then just one league.

I also call bs on this English league is shit nonsense, obviously the league is weak this season but that has mostly just been this season, the English has been quite good for the past few years and will no doubt regain lost strength soon enough, jumping to conclusions based on this fairly lackluster season is no way to judge anything.

Same way i expect serie a and la liga to improve as well.

Fur_Q

Your confusing shit with overrated, OED - read it.

Fantomex

There was an article earlier last week where even Pep admitted that his formations and tactics where derived from Bielsas past eras.

Clegg

Do United need to make new signings or will we be alright once everyone is fit again?

Personally, I think its imperative that United make new signings at CB and CM. Rio is getting old and Vidic won't be around forever. We all know about Uniteds problems in midfield. I'm not convinced about Anderson/Cleverley being an effective partnership either.I'm not sure what we need more in midfield. A creative player would help us enormously. But we could also use a player that could snuff out opposition play in the middle of the pitch.

Our strikers aren't a problem really.

Pranay

I honestly have not see anyone overrating the English league this season, it has generally been accepted by everyone I know that the league is quite weak right now.

Most media and some fanatics have shitted on other league when other leagues were having a bad phase.

Hell not on gaf but i have seen people rating C Ronaldo higher then the brazilian ronaldo just because one has played in bpl.

Have you seen the amount of bias english teams during commentory ?

napoli vs chelsea just for an example/

elsk

Banned
Do United need to make new signings or will we be alright once everyone is fit again?

Personally, I think its imperative that United make new signings at CB and CM. Rio is getting old and Vidic won't be around forever. We all know about Uniteds problems in midfield. I'm not convinced about Anderson/Cleverley being an effective partnership either.

How many CM do you guys have at ManU?
We have 1 at Bayern, and he's injured. deal with it.

Fady K

ATHLETIC BILBWOW! Beautiful!!!! De Gea too, beautiful!! It was nice to see a team actually FIGHT for a change, the Premier League would be much more interesting if more teams actually fought hard rather than invite tough teams like United to pressure them before the inevitable goals. What a game.

As for City, odd tactics by Mancini today :/!

Z0tA5.gif

Welbeck Snipes!

Muniain is like a real life version of Bart Simpson.

There we go! I was wondering who he resembled :D!!

Muniain is fucking amazing, world class potential.

Also:

At. Madrid 3 - 1 Besiktas

Manchester U. 2 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Valencia 4 - 2 PSV Eindhoven

Fuck yeah La Liga!

:D :D :D :D So much quality in La Liga nowadays - it's just that Barca and Madrid are way up.

Is that real or shopped? What a coincidence.

Salazar

What are you saying not particularly too, all managers doing it or fergie excusing his team.

As Viva mentioned, Ferguson has been commendably tight-lipped about how brutally we have been rogered by injuries.

Posting "waah waaah stop moaning and groaning" is a little disproportionate.

Yes, Clegg. We need LB, CB, CM.

jcjimher

Well. Their policy is that they must be Basque or from Basque origin. Period. In fact some years ago they signed Lizarazu, who was French but born on the French Basque Country.

In reality, though, they stretch that idea as far as they can and have players from nearby regions like La Rioja, or others with basque origins like Ander Herrera (who spent all his formations years at Zaragoza though).

It's an odd policy that has its advantages and disadvantages. Today they have a crop of great quality players, but there have been drought periods as well. In fact, unlike Barça, these ball-possession, quality-based style is quite new to the club and could be attributed to Bielsa. The traditional Bilbao style was more defensive and physical-based (more "English" perhaps).

Fur_Q

why the hell would i be following tabloids?

Examples?

I think the majority of people are fully aware the these things are cyclical.

Talking about the general public. Not everyone lives online, some people get all there info from these shitturds. I have friends coming up to me going "lol internet sad nerd hahaha" ignorant as fuck but follow the sun religiously. But there mates.

Fur_Q

As Viva mentioned, Ferguson has been commendably tight-lipped about how brutally we have been rogered by injuries.

Posting "waah waaah stop moaning and groaning" is a little disproportionate.

Yes, Clegg. We need LB, CB, CM.

Do you not see my Avatar, roll with it.

I also agree with you about LB, CB, CM.

Clegg

How many CM do you guys have at ManU?
We have 1 at Bayern, and he's injured. deal with it.

Yeah but he's one of the best midfielders in the world. We have 2 midfielders in their late 30's and another 2 players who are constantly injured. Carrick is the only reliable midfielder we have at the moment.

elsk

Banned
Well. Their policy is that they must be Basque or from Basque origin. Period. In fact some years ago they signed Lizarazu, who was French but born on the French Basque Country.

In reality, though, they stretch that idea as far as they can and have players from nearby regions like La Rioja, or others with basque origins like Ander Herrera (who spent all his formations years at Zaragoza though).

It's an odd policy that has its advantages and disadvantages. Today they have a crop of great quality players, but there have been drought periods as well. In fact, unlike Barça, these ball-possession, quality-based style is quite new to the club and could be attributed to Bielsa. The traditional Bilbao style was more defensive and physical-based (more "English" perhaps).

Yes, actually I understand that the english introduced the football in the Basque region. Bielsa is well know to "teach" that kind of beautiful football :)

Mastadon

Banned
Talking about the general public. Not everyone lives online, some people get all there info from these shitturds. I have friends coming up to me going "lol internet sad nerd hahaha" ignorant as fuck but follow the sun religiously. But there mates.

So where are these articles from these 'shitturds' proclaiming the Premier League as being so far in front of everything else? I've seen several well written, introspective articles on the merits of German and Italian football, but nothing resembling what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom