• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Dude, you play Wigan at home. Win and you will over take them. What's the problem?

I know. It's just I am very frustrated with our lack of results. We've blown an 8 point lead... it's just so damn annoying.

We also have to play spuds and Chelsea away and Bolton have two games in hand

Yakubus overhead was just bizarre

Pachimari

Me too, and everytime I see Dive Maria step out in that shirt my heart dies a little. Not Worthy.

All IMO and of course YMMV.

He's just not a player I will ever want in my team - my home club is St Johnstone in the SPL, and I wouldn't even want Di Maria playing for us - seriously, even though his wage is probably more thans Saints put together!
I guess there's just a little bit of bias in your opinion as you stated yourself but it's okay, we are all madridistas, all we want right now is titles! :D

Scum

ibgSgmpE5bOWEg.gif

:(

5YRcF.gif
5YRcF.gif

TeegsD

Ugh, the United - Everton match just had to be at 7:30. Been getting shit sleep lately so gonna try to sleep as much as possible tonight. Hopefully I wake up with a nice result to see.

Slizz

Ugh, the United - Everton match just had to be at 7:30. Been getting shit sleep lately so gonna try to sleep as much as possible tonight. Hopefully I wake up with a nice result to see.

I know man. I'ma be up pretty late watching the UFC tonight, gonna be a rough morning tomorrow.

I'm not Argentinian and I'm not a "fan" of anyone. I'm a fan of our shirt, our crest and the madridismo. Whoever fights for our shirt I'll support. Di Maria is fantastic and important and so is Kaká.

I definitely agree with you that DiMaria is required in matches like this.

In Europe and and against teams that play like Barca, I feel that defending with 4 at the back + midfielders is not enough anymore. Defense now involves either interceptions caused by pressure (applied by wide players and forwards) or a possession game. A team can afford to have maybe one player not involved in defense (Ronaldo at Madrid, for example - though he is improving as well). And this is not just running at opposition players but pressuring along the right lines and in the right areas. Di Maria does that. He might not intercept or tackle as well as a few other midfielders/attackers (and here is one area that I think Messi is miles better than Ronaldo) but his pressuring does lead to interceptions or bad passes by the opposition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hndEdktyVY

It boils down to the fact that Di Maria is a safe choice. If he is on his attacking game, Madrid has a player who can go past players and assist and finish. If he is having a bad day, he at least brings some much needed clever hassling (and I am sure that from Mourinho's POV, his "winning" free kicks is useful as well).

Fady K

First things first, congratulations to the Madrid fans and the team; they played well, and at Camp Nou of all places, and WON. No complaints, it was fully deserved. Honestly speaking they could have finished the match with more than a 1 goal lead. Well done Mourinho, and well done to Ronaldo for making a huge difference for his team - i.e, winning them a league cup.

Having said that, as a Barca fan, it is very difficult to state just how disappointed I am with the team today. I went all the way to Barcelona to see the game live at Camp Nou and I cannot contain my excitement, so it broke my heart not only to see them lose to Madrid (something which they have not done at Camp Nou in God knows how long), but to see them play so BAD.

Tello was disgustingly horrible. The defence was quite dull. Valdes was poor. I am one of Messi's biggest fans but he was dull as can be today. Xavi was ineffective, and so was Iniesta. THIS is how Barca play their biggest rivals at HOME after cutting down the lead from 10 points to nearly ONE? Disgusting. To have witnessed it live at Camp Nou turned what could have been a dream victory witnessed live to possibly the worst Barcelona performance in a big game in well over a year. What was Pep thinking with a 3 man defense and leaving out some of the better players? Easily the worst classico I have ever seen.

When my mood gets better in a couple of days I'll gladly talk about the experience more and share some photos.

It wouldn't have been so bad if Chelsea did one thing right outside of defending well today. but no, a third draw in a row in the prem. league. Could have been worse I guess, could have been losses.

Fady, rovers are doomed and I was joking about watching another premier league team although I may pick one at Random to root for for Gaf purposes.

Anyway I'm about to leave for what in all likelihood will be our last home premier league game on a Saturday.

If it goes badly there may be ugly scenes and tears.

I am glad that your team won today Jeff, and convincingly too. It's crazy how QPR managed to beat Tottenham to keep the pressure, but with Bolton drawing and Wolves very much out of the picture, hopefully the Rovers can make a leap up.

@Fady

I'm doing good and very excited about the potential of number 20. I've got tickets for the home game against Swansea too which may well be the day we lift the trophy if we get a good result on the 30th.

How in the world did you get tickets for the Clasico? I always assumed they'd be near impossible to get.

Oh you actually live in Manchester or are you just visiting it for that Swansea game? I expect your team to pull through and earn the title without having to make it too tense for themselves. Enjoy!

As for the tickets to the "classico" it was part of a deal they were offering in the UAE. BUT - due to the re-selling of tickets (all sold out!) it was way too expensive.

Fady better share some epic pics from his time at the Clasico

I will gladly send you guys a link soon once I put up the album on facebook soon.

Sturridge and Kalou are two of the most infuriating players on our team :/

Yes, definitely. Add Malouda to that list. They killed me today.

Chelsea's final ball has been poor all day.

It's been ridiculously bad across all 90 minutes, unbelievable.

That game was shite.

Both games were absolute shite for me today. Luckily for us Tottenham lost yet again. Which means we'll draw/lose our next.

It's weird, I'd normally want Madrid to win this one, just to shake up La Liga, but because Fady's there it's making me think twice. Part of me would love to see a Messi hat trick if only for the Fady man tears.

You're a lovely lad Arnie <3 How I wish that were the case. I would have shed man tears for even one winning goal by Messi.

Now I have wondered for days.. Who. Is. Fady?

That would be me good sir, pleasure to meet you. Congrats on winning the league, it's been a long time coming, but it's been fully deserved.

Fady is Footy-GAF Ambassador.

I am honored Kyoufu. I only wish you hated Chelsea a little less :p

The World's Greatest Football Supporter and General Human Being
outside of Tim Tebow, of course

He loves all teams equally.

Except for United

I am humbled by your words Grover :p Note that my United hate is now extinct.

I hope Fady has took a umbrella if he is top tier!

Hi there dc :) It was raining wildly but my area was had a little roof so no rainy surprises thankfully :)

Fady is on a emotional rollercoaster here. I wonder if he is happy to see every goal?

It was a disaster bro :[ Sucky day for Chelsea and Barcelona. See my notes at the start of this post ;_;

Fady get on the pitch!

I would have if Barca won :D

Man this hurts more than it should. Anyway enjoy the win Madrid fans :/

Sorry Fady

I feel you man, it hurts because the team did not even seem to try. The line up was all kinds of odd, and the performance was even worse. The team was a total letdown. That is why it probably hurts.

This is all Fady's fault for supporting Chelsea AND Barcelona. The Football Gods had to pick one and they picked Chelsea...

Imagine if Chelsea won the CL? No way haha...they would end up losing to Real/Bayern IF they beat Barca. How epic would it be though that Chelsea would knock Mourinho's team from a final? Too good to be true.

What a disgrace of match have Barça played.

I'm a Barça supporter and it's been one of the worst games of this season. The passing was not there, Tello and Thiago haven't played at all and as usual, when Pep makes some changes it is already too late. Congratulations to Madrid fans for the league!

Finally, a Barcelona fan who shares my feelings. One of the worst games of the season in all competitions by far.

I feel terrible for Fady, though.

Not only did he see one of his favorite teams lose, but he saw them lose in person in the driving rain to a hated rival.

Still, I'm sure that was a fantastic experience for him to go to the Camp Nou and watch the Clasico in person.

You nailed how I feel right now Grover. It was a beautiful experience indeed, but seeing my favorite team play their worst performance in ages took away a lot of the magic.

Oh shit, forgot Fady was going to the game.

Fady :(

:'( It was a very bad ending after such a beautiful dreamy start to the day.

fady doesnt have bad days. I bet he is at dinner with messi or something.

Now if I was having dinner with Messi, i'd forget allllllllll this hahahaha.

THIS, sure it was amazing. But its never nice seeing your team lose especially in person.

Yes bro, I don't mean to sound spoiled but it was definitely horrible by the final whistle. I was a bit shellshocked, not by the loss, but by the performance.

Knowing fady he was in the locker room for moral support. :p

If only they'd let me in :'(

Arsenal - Chelsea is so boring BBC are letting the fucking lottery leak into their coverage of it.

Edit: Fady superpost. I won't have to be bored anymore!

Pachimari

I definitely agree with you that DiMaria is required in matches like this.

In Europe and and against teams that play like Barca, I feel that defending with 4 at the back + midfielders is not enough anymore. Defense now involves either interceptions caused by pressure (applied by wide players and forwards) or a possession game. A team can afford to have maybe one player not involved in defense (Ronaldo at Madrid, for example - though he is improving as well). And this is not just running at opposition players but pressuring along the right lines and in the right areas. Di Maria does that. He might not intercept or tackle as well as a few other midfielders/attackers (and here is one area that I think Messi is miles better than Ronaldo) but his pressuring does lead to interceptions or bad passes by the opposition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hndEdktyVY

It boils down to the fact that Di Maria is a safe choice. If he is on his attacking game, Madrid has a player who can go past players and assist and finish. If he is having a bad day, he at least brings some much needed clever hassling (and I am sure that from Mourinho's POV, his "winning" free kicks is useful as well).
This. This. This. x100. Finally another one who gets it.

Oh, nice to meet you too Fady. :)

I am sure that from Mourinho's POV, his "winning" free kicks

Maybe I'm too old, but I will never approve of diving. Decent tackles are a dying art (like the awesome one that Alonso got booked for) and the divers in the game make it even harder to keep the game a contact sport.

I know Di Maria is maybe just another proponent of it, but it sucks ass, just like the relatively recent trend in players asking the ref to book another player; leave that shit to the supporters no?

Video evidence needs to get introduced IMO, not for offsides, but to stamp out cheating diving fucks. Playback, red card, shit will die a quick death.

Messi

tumblr_m29r8slaRF1rsbaudo1_500.gif

DAT FADY MULTIQUOTE.

Did you buy anything in the HORRIBLY HORRIBLY HORRIBLY OVERPRICED Nou Camp store? Have a walk around the city? Or do the Camp Nou experience tour?

Edit: It hurt to see Tello play so badly. I love the guy. But he was AWFUL today. He should have been pulled off at half time for Alexis. The big occasion got to him.

Messi

I like scrolling though the fady multiquote post knowing I am in there somewhere because he is too polite to skip anyone :p What also makes me smile is the fact that fady was doing the epic multi quote posts before we had a mulitquote function.

dc89

According to the telegraph City will hand Mancini a new contract in the summer but have expressed concerns to him about his man management. They have also asked him to greater consider FFP.

Kyoufu

lol Gary Lineker looked at Alan Shearer and said "And here's me thinking there was only one Geordie hero that is a sissy" (Cisse pun).

Yen

First things first, congratulations to the Madrid fans and the team; they played well, and at Camp Nou of all places, and WON. No complaints, it was fully deserved. Honestly speaking they could have finished the match with more than a 1 goal lead. Well done Mourinho, and well done to Ronaldo for making a huge difference for his team - i.e, winning them a league cup.

Having said that, as a Barca fan, it is very difficult to state just how disappointed I am with the team today. I went all the way to Barcelona to see the game live at Camp Nou and I cannot contain my excitement, so it broke my heart not only to see them lose to Madrid (something which they have not done at Camp Nou in God knows how long), but to see them play so BAD.

Tello was disgustingly horrible. The defence was quite dull. Valdes was poor. I am one of Messi's biggest fans but he was dull as can be today. Xavi was ineffective, and so was Iniesta. THIS is how Barca play their biggest rivals at HOME after cutting down the lead from 10 points to nearly ONE? Disgusting. To have witnessed it live at Camp Nou turned what could have been a dream victory witnessed live to possibly the worst Barcelona performance in a big game in well over a year. What was Pep thinking with a 3 man defense and leaving out some of the better players? Easily the worst classico I have ever seen.

When my mood gets better in a couple of days I'll gladly talk about the experience more and share some photos.

It wouldn't have been so bad if Chelsea did one thing right outside of defending well today. but no, a third draw in a row in the prem. league. Could have been worse I guess, could have been losses.

I am glad that your team won today Jeff, and convincingly too. It's crazy how QPR managed to beat Tottenham to keep the pressure, but with Bolton drawing and Wolves very much out of the picture, hopefully the Rovers can make a leap up.

Oh you actually live in Manchester or are you just visiting it for that Swansea game? I expect your team to pull through and earn the title without having to make it too tense for themselves. Enjoy!

As for the tickets to the "classico" it was part of a deal they were offering in the UAE. BUT - due to the re-selling of tickets (all sold out!) it was way too expensive.

I will gladly send you guys a link soon once I put up the album on facebook soon.

Yes, definitely. Add Malouda to that list. They killed me today.

It's been ridiculously bad across all 90 minutes, unbelievable.

Both games were absolute shite for me today. Luckily for us Tottenham lost yet again. Which means we'll draw/lose our next.

You're a lovely lad Arnie <3 How I wish that were the case. I would have shed man tears for even one winning goal by Messi.

That would be me good sir, pleasure to meet you. Congrats on winning the league, it's been a long time coming, but it's been fully deserved.

I am honored Kyoufu. I only wish you hated Chelsea a little less :p

I am humbled by your words Grover :p Note that my United hate is now extinct.

Hi there dc :) It was raining wildly but my area was had a little roof so no rainy surprises thankfully :)

It was a disaster bro :[ Sucky day for Chelsea and Barcelona. See my notes at the start of this post ;_;

I would have if Barca won :D

I feel you man, it hurts because the team did not even seem to try. The line up was all kinds of odd, and the performance was even worse. The team was a total letdown. That is why it probably hurts.

Imagine if Chelsea won the CL? No way haha...they would end up losing to Real/Bayern IF they beat Barca. How epic would it be though that Chelsea would knock Mourinho's team from a final? Too good to be true.

Finally, a Barcelona fan who shares my feelings. One of the worst games of the season in all competitions by far.

You nailed how I feel right now Grover. It was a beautiful experience indeed, but seeing my favorite team play their worst performance in ages took away a lot of the magic.

:'( It was a very bad ending after such a beautiful dreamy start to the day.

Now if I was having dinner with Messi, i'd forget allllllllll this hahahaha.

Yes bro, I don't mean to sound spoiled but it was definitely horrible by the final whistle. I was a bit shellshocked, not by the loss, but by the performance.

If only they'd let me in :'(

What tier were you seated in?

tumblr_lnip6bVPMN1qb92dl.gif

Reposted again just for a summary of the evenings events...

FAP. FAP. FAP.

Could have been o so different if Fabregas had scored a winner for Barca!

Anyway, love Olivia, but have to say that Odette is hotter as House doctors go.
odette-yustman-20090109000243519_640w.jpg

Getting off topic I know...

Madridy

I don't understand the Di Maria hate...

Before he was injured, he was one the best players in our squad in the 1st half of the season, having topped the assist ranking for 2/3 of this season even while being injured for two months.

Yes he was shit today (often on most El Classicos) and sometimes he can dive disgustingly but hes without a doubt a brilliant footballer. Some of his assists this season were Zidane/Xavi level of passes for Ronaldo and co. I value him very high and a definite starter in our squad.

I really don't understand the hate towards him, especially from Madrid fans. Did you guys see the 1st half of the season before he was injured? Up until February he was leading the assists list 13 to 10 for Ozil/Messi.

Also when we're playing high pressure defending hes much better than Kaka, Ronaldo, or Ozil. Although Ozil was MoTM today, in both defense and Offense. Other than Higuain, Di Maria is our 2nd best offensive player who knows how to pressure, tackle, and intercept balls in the opposition's half IMO. That is why I think we need him against big teams. (Other than the glimpses of a genius on his day)

Anyways, Great job today Los Merengues!

Hardluck Barca.

Next Bayern!!

Messi

tumblr_lnip6bVPMN1qb92dl.gif

Reposted again just for a summary of the evenings events...

FAP. FAP. FAP.

Could have been o so different if Fabregas had scored a winner for Barca!

Anyway, love Olivia, but have to say that Odette is hotter as House doctors go.
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/943/943491/odette-yustman-20090109000243519_640w.jpg[IMG]

Getting off topic I know...[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/olivia-wilde-wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-99.gif

Feorax

Was Tello really as shit as GAF is suggesting tonight?

I kinda hope he was. We were linked with him a little while ago, but then he scored those 2 goals in the CL and I figured that was that.

If he really put in that poor a shift tonight, maybe Barca will think twice about his future with them. Even out of form, he has to be better than Downing.

I kinda hope he was. We were linked with him a little while ago, but then he scored those 2 goals in the CL and I figured that was that.

If he really put in that poor a shift tonight, maybe Barca will think twice about his future with them. Even out of form, he has to be better than Downing.

Not really, but he showed very bad definition. I don't know what people are expecting of that guy, I think he's pretty decent, but it's not the next star a lot of people is expecting him to be.

Ronaldo scored the goal that sealed the title.

Viva are you alright??
YEAAHHHH BUDDDYYY!

Was a shit game. Barca were so off their game. Gotta hand it to Madrid though didn't think they could play so disciplined. Probably could have scored at least one more goal too.

Ronaldos performance was superb. When you consider he is basically feeding off scraps he did really well tonight. I think he's scored in his last 3 trips to Camp Nou now. Celebration was boss.

Yen

He'd be mad to leave Barça.

Lightning

Banned
lol that is rough. I hope we get one more classico this season. The fight for the CL would be immense.
Yeah, that would be but I would rather a Bayern vs. Barca final personally.

Seeing Barca trying to stop Bayern at home in a CL final would be amazing.

Messi

Nowhere close, he whiffed 2 pretty amazing chances and the pressure of the occasion got to him. He is an amazing sub to have but right now he is not ready to play full games, let along incredibly important ones. I feel pep was trying to rest fab/pique/alexis and to a lesser extent xavi for the CL game next week and that meant tello was put in the starting 11. It was a mistake.

Top Bottom