• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Trials just got a billion times better for me with the discovery of all the custom tracks you can download....

Some of them are really fucking awesome

Oh, outstanding. I probably would have stayed up all night playing that game had I not been pulled away for a few games of clubs. It was for the best.

Also, does this mean you can make custom tracks?

Where was the attacking yesterday? All I saw was them passing sideways and backwards around the outside of the box. They could have spent all day crossing the ball into the box, making runs and trying to thread the ball to the top, or take outside shots, but they didn't. They just passed it around. It was one team utilizing tactics that serve to negate the effects of another team's tactics, and in this case Barcelona did nothing to change that. There are no mental gymnastics at play here.

Most of the people in this thread are thrilled to see Chelsea force Barcelona to adapt to their tactics rather than adapting to Barcelona's tactics. There isn't only one way to play football. That would stifle the game and make it boring. It isn't about two attacking teams. If both teams played the way Barcelona did yesterday it would have been all midfield and no attack. The game is about playing to your strengths and weaknesses, not playing to the other teams strengths.

Like I said. Chelsea chose to play rock against Barcelona's scissors. Barcelona could have switched to paper, but they kept playing scissors and Chelsea would be stupid to switch away from rock.

I agree that they should have done more to mix it up but they could not because they don't have the height to challenge for the ball in the air, so crosses wouldn't work. Despite their constant sideway passing (which they do to open space up for a threaded pass), their lack of ideas, they still managed to create game winning opportunities.

There are different ways to play and then there are different ways to attack; some teams attack centrally, some purely on the counter and some attack through the wings; all attacking sides. When I say we'd be better off with more Barcelona sides, it's not to say we'd be better off with teams that only rely on sideway passing and stringent possession, no. When I say Barcelona, I'm using them as a metaphor for a style that contrasts to sitting deep with 8 players outside your box; an attacking style. I'm not claiming that there is only way [entertaining] to attack in football

We've really fucked this season up. Considering the lead we had, none of these teams should be anywhere near us in the table. We should have spent in January to consolidate our position in the table, rather than clearing out for the summer and assuming we'd walk the rest of it.

Kyoufu

Is that the one who sometimes wears glasses? She's dreamy...

Yep she's wearing glasses now... I'll be in my bunk.

We've really fucked this season up. Considering the lead we had, none of these teams should be anywhere near us in the table. We should have spent in January to consolidate our position in the table, rather than clearing out for the summer and assuming we'd walk the rest of it.

I wouldn't worry tbh. Yes you've stuffed it up but you have really easy games left. I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped points in our tough fixtures and you won the rest of yours.

Dibbz

Then again the Arsenal-Barcelona first half last year was better than all of them put together in terms of attacking entertainment.

Too right. What a fucking game. ARghgGHGHGGGghghghhGHGHGHGghghh

Dibbz, I'm with you on DmC. I've always had faith in Ninja Theory, and I think it'll be great. OG Dante is an awful, awful character design - it could really only go up from there. Amirox's posts were awful but I never knew he was poor with his mod powers too. I've always thought the Gaf mods were pretty good at their jobs.

Yep bitches be hatin'

guest-controller-dmc-devil-may-cry-gamescom-art-3-dante_angels_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

Carbonox

You did a Liverpool. Hopefully Spurs and Liverpool learn from these mistakes. January transfer window is even more important than the Summer one in terms of maintenance.

Oh and kudos for getting rid of Darwin from your avatar. I'm proud of you.

Wilbur

Banned
I agree that they should have done more to mix it up but they could not because they don't have the height to challenge for the ball in the air, so crosses wouldn't work. Despite their constant sideway passing (which they do to open space up for a threaded pass), their lack of ideas, they still managed to create game winning opportunities.

There are different ways to play and then there are different ways to attack; some teams attack centrally, some purely on the counter and some attack through the wings; all attacking sides. When I say we'd be better off with more Barcelona sides, it's not to say we'd be better off with teams that only rely on sideway passing and stringent possession, no. When I say Barcelona, I'm using them as a metaphor for a style that contrasts to sitting deep with 8 players outside your box; an attacking style. I'm not claiming that there is only way [entertaining] to attack in football

Chelsea have camped 8 people outside the box twice this season. Both times against Barcelona. If you resort to tactics like that to beat the best team in the world fair and square, you deserve it if you pull it off. It's not a regular thing with them.

Someone gotta do the usual Arsenal thing when they clearly aren't going to.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Yep, our January business was a massive gamble and it hasn't worked. Harry ostracised Pav, Corluka, Pienaar and Bassong and flogged them all without bringing in decent cover. He really has no idea how to use a squad, all those players are senior internationals and more than capable of playing a few games here and there.

Wilbur

Banned
Roma behind already, balls. Jovetic is one hell of a player.

Don't know what they'll do in the summer, I don't think we'll see many dividends of Enrique's philosophy unless a) he's given a fuckload of money or b) he's given a long time in charge and the youth system comes up trumps. Doubt either are likely, I can see him leaving as soon as the end of next season with Roma hovering around the European places. They need to get faster defences and stop fucking around with De Rossi in defence.

Sealda

Banned
What is with the Udineses pitch? It seems really, dry or something?

I saw, they replaced the ball, but it is still bouncing really weird.

Lol, Lucio raging.

Choc

Banned
Harry says Di Matteo should get the chelsea job

edit: surely the Euro licence should mean those in the finals are licensed, but if the Ukraine is one of those teams missing then nope

What a fucking mess. Why if they have the licence to the tournament should they need to negotiate with every fucking squad. The world cup don't work like that. You get the WC licence, you have the teams

stupidity on UEFA part

Chelsea have camped 8 people outside the box twice this season. Both times against Barcelona. If you resort to tactics like that to beat the best team in the world fair and square, you deserve it if you pull it off. It's not a regular thing with them.

Agreed

Your first paragraph only says to me that Chelsea played to Barcelona's weaknesses. Your second paragraph says to me that we should do away with defenders. Mourinho discovered the best way to defend and win (most important) against Barcelona's play style. It seems silly to not play that way because some fans don't find it as entertaining. That isn't Chelsea's normal playstyle. It is just one tactic that they knew they could utilize against a specific team. We aren't seeing many teams who utilize that as their only play style, and the ones that do, Stoke, are the teams that the fans bitch about. Adjusting tactics is an important part of the game, and it shouldn't be ignored because some people are unhappy about it.

A surprise appointment resulted in an all too familiar conclusion only a month later – such is the tale of Christian Panucci and his role at Palermo. The team manager handed in his resignation this morning after falling out with Zamparini over comments the president made to the press on Monday.

The point of contention seems to be Zamparini’s specific statements on the future role of Giorgio Perinetti, currently under contract with Siena. Speaking to the media, the Palermo patron claimed Perinetti would assume a job as Executive Vice President at Palermo, once he relieved himself of his duties with La Robur. Panucci believed those comments delegitimatized him. Whether that was because Panucci felt he wasn’t consulted or whether he didn’t approve of the role is something that is not yet known.

A conversation between the two did nothing but exacerbate the situation. When Panucci let Zamparini know that he felt belittled, Maurizio responded in typical fashion, saying, “It doesn’t seem to be delegitimatizing you seeing that I give you 400,000 Euro a year.” To which, Panucci retorted, “I don’t give a damn about money.” At that point, Panucci seemed to have made up his mind. He left Sicily altogether and flew back to his home located in Rome.

Who is at fault in this scenario? While most would quickly point the blame at Zamparini given his track record, the blame does not rest entirely on his shoulders. Panucci joined the club with enthusiasm and commitment. He was young and ambitious but should have known what he was getting into when he agreed to work in Sicily. Zamparini was well within his right as club president to make the statements he made. Looking back, they hardly seemed to be divisive. The fact that Panucci didn’t agree and took personal offence was unfortunate. Where Zamparini was wrong was in his reaction to Christian. Arguing his contention by pointing out the stipend Panucci earns was not the right response.

So, Panucci leaves after only a month on the job. It’s a scene that’s all too familiar with those who follow Palermo in any sort of fashion. Sadly, it was always going to end this way, considering two strong-willed, hot-headed figures agreed to strike a working partnership. In many ways, the appointment of Panucci was reminiscent of the Zenga appointment – similar characters who would quickly butt heads with the fiery Palermo president.

Zamparini had been making great strides lately in setting up an organization that would put Palermo on the path to success. First, the deal with the Arab investors was struck (and negotiations are still ongoing). Then, the society signed a sponsorship deal with a global reach in Puma – while the deal isn’t lucrative in financial terms, it’s good to see a global brand strike an agreement with Palermo. Finally, Zamparini has been building a strong organization, at least on paper. The additions of Giorgio Perinetti (VP), Patricio Teubal (Marketing/Admin Director) and possibly even the return of Rino Foschi have been positive moves. It looked like Zamparini finally realized that in order to have success, a strong group is needed, something that does not always refer to players.

The Panucci era looks like it was short-lived. Zamparini ended his comments by saying, “Who knows, a few hours pass by, even if at this point he needs to see if I’ll take him back. He has a unique character, but also great qualities that I learned to appreciate in these past few days.” It’s a quote that could refer to either Panucci or Zamparini, to be honest. Nevertheless, the club moves on, with or without Panucci. Today’s resignation was just another bump in an entirely forgettable season.

Zamps.
LLShC.gif

Kyoufu

Hayley McQueen is today's Gabby Logan.

edit: Just saw the Barca paper on SSN. Nice to see the media supporting Pep. Even the Madrid media weren't throwing stones.

Fintan

Torres's goal may not have mattered in terms of getting through but at least it maintained Pep's record of never beating Chelsea.

2 hrs til kickoff

Juuuuuuuuveeeeee

Kijda hope we don't score early. Don't want to give Cesena any ideas about playing attacking football. Mutu always scares me. Is Vincenzo playing? If he wasn't such an injury prone guy he could play a real role in our squad. Too bad really. He pulled some really spectacular stuff when he wasn't on the treatment table.

Top Bottom