• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Walcott or Moses?

Walcott was apparently a target under Kenny. I don't particularly rate Walcott, but no one in our squad (apart from Sterling) possess his speed, and it'd give us something different. For the same reason, I wouldn't be too upset if we signed Moses.

What I Learned From The Euro Thread:

-A new offside rule
-It's OK to 'rape' someone in a corner.
-Italy play catenaccio.
-Marchisio shouldn't be in the XI
-Balotelli is our best striker and he's quite underrated.
-Giaccherini was our worst player in two games (He was actually one of our best against Spain)
-'I pity you if you believe that team sports have any sort of meaning beyond entertainment'.

At least you learnt one true thing.

Choc

Banned
sorry if already posted

Chelsea have only had their hands on the Champions League trophy for a month, but they've already broken it.

Three members of the club's security staff are facing the rap after breaking the coveted trophy's handle while taking pictures with it outside of their working hours.

lulz

Wessiej

So Newcastle now wants De Jong, Anita and Alderweireld? Why don't buy every good player in the Eredivisie when you're at it? Come on.

Carbonox

So Newcastle now wants De Jong, Anita and Alderweireld? Why don't buy every good player in the Eredivisie when you're at it? Come on.

Don't mind if we do. ;P

I would love all 3 of them if possible. Would signal a real show of intent from the club, especially for the future as these are all young and potential stars.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the club are so one dimensional that they figure that these 3 are replacements for players, rather than additions to a squad that could be challenging for top 4 again if the cards are played right (I don't see ourselves finishing in the top 4 but to have a points tally nearby again would be a success).

Dave Whelan has been speaking to Goal.com on Victor Moses

"Number one, they have made an offer, and number two, they have not made a big enough offer. That is where it lies. The offer that Chelsea have made is no good. It is way too low. It is rubbish. If the price is right we would actually consider letting him go, yes, we have to do that. But I think that it is the agent who will not allow him to sign an extension to his contract and he has another 12 months to run on it. I think that the lad really needs another 12 months here at Wigan under Roberto for his own sake. That is what he does need so he can keep developing. He played ever so well when we played Chelsea when we went down to Stamford Bridge but he does need another year here at Wigan. We can only tell him that. It is his agent who dominates everything and all his agent wants is money. I have said to Chelsea ‘thank-you for your offer but no’. What they are offering is not enough. I have not put a price-tag on Victor. But let's say that what Chelsea have offered is a lot less than £4m. That is absolutely stupid."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896.../wigan-reject-rubbish-chelsea-offer-for-moses

Carbonox

Oh hey another example of dickhead agents.

But way less than 4m? I wonder what people here think would be an acceptable valuation for Moses. Enough to part the red sea?

Wessiej

Don't mind if we do. ;P

I would love all 3 of them if possible. Would signal a real show of intent from the club, especially for the future as these are all young and potential stars.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the club are so one dimensional that they figure that these 3 are replacements for players, rather than additions to a squad that could be challenging for top 4 again if the cards are played right (I don't see ourselves finishing in the top 4 but to have a points tally nearby again would be a success).

They are willing to bid 4 million euros for Alderweireld. Give me a moment to laugh please :p

Carbonox

They are willing to bid 4 million euros for Alderweireld. Give me a moment to laugh please :p

Yeah.

Seems Newcastle want De Jong, Debuchy, Anita and Alderweireld for 20m. That would probably surpass last summer's awesome value for money, but it won't happen. Nevertheless, I still hope for some good news this summer. Window hasn't even opened yet!

The fuck? http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/7825384/Royals-close-on-Pogrebnyak Reading could be getting Pogrebnyak? :lol

Wessiej

De Jong won't be missed that much. But I don't like to see Alderweireld and Anita leaving.

Luuk de Jong won't be missed? Crazy. Maybe you thought of his brother, who is still one of the most important players at Ajax.

I will occupy something to make sure Anita isn't leaving.

Linius

Luuk de Jong won't be missed? Crazy. Maybe you thought of his brother, who is still one of the most important players at Ajax.

I will occupy something to make sure Anita isn't leaving.
Oh you mean Luuk? Would very much like to see him go, whatever makes Twente weaker :p

But Siem isn't that great to be honest. Sure, he sometimes gets his goals but I don't think he's as important to us as Anita and Alderweireld. He will be easily replaced by a player like Schöne.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Newcastle are doing what Spurs arent. Levy needs to pull it together.

Well we do have deals for Vertonghen and Adebayor being worked on. Remy and Jonas Olsson as well. Players are being moved on (Kranjcar, Nelsen) so stuff is happening. We need to hurry up but their are irons in the fire.

Wessiej

Oh you mean Luuk? Would very much like to see him go, whatever makes Twente weaker :p

But Siem isn't that great to be honest. Sure, he sometimes gets his goals but I don't think he's as important to us as Anita and Alderweireld. He will be easily replaced by a player like Schöne.

Thats cute, but it's wrong. He is the player that got us the title 2 times in a row. He is a fighter, wants to make sure we win and does everything to make sure we win. But yeah, when he isn't playing good, he isn't good.

Carbonox

The Euros thread has turned into a cesspool.

I swear there is a shit ton of posters over there that haven't stepped foot inside this thread - the true football thread. Said posters also give off the vibe that they know fuck all about the sport and when they clash with us lot, shit hits the fan and retarded comments are thrown around. A true shame but no surprise, given it's a separate thread altogether. Such things draw a different crowd.

Speaking of Euro's, a bunch of giant Polish guys at a club I went to on Saturday (in Luton, no surprise) were proper pissy - seemingly about the Polish exit of the tournament going by their comments to us - and got a bit too close for comfort to me and my mate. Bowled out of there pretty quickly. :lol

Ushojax

We need CBs as King, Nelsen and Bassong are going/gone. He's versatile and will take Bassong's place in the seats behind the bench. His contract is running out so it's a Levy-special just like Pienaar.

Linius

Thats cute, but it's wrong. He is the player that got us the title 2 times in a row. He is a fighter, wants to make sure we win and does everything to make sure we win. But yeah, when he isn't playing good, he isn't good.
He was a true revelation in the 2010/2011 season with his two goals climax against Twente in the last match. But since Eriksen took over his number ten position I haven't seen him play like that season anymore. But yeah, that's my opinion. And since he's not going anywhere so far we won't have to worry about him :p

Still very anxious to see which players Ajax will buy for next season. Hopefully they're still working on Narsingh.

near

Gold Member
Well we do have deals for Vertonghen and Adebayor being worked on. Remy and Jonas Olsson as well. Players are being moved on (Kranjcar, Nelsen) so stuff is happening. We need to hurry up but their are irons in the fire.

We got more players going out than coming in, Corluka, dos Santos, and possibly Defoe are also on the exit. Modric looks certain to go, Vaart is still heavily linked with a move to Germany. Gomes is probably out. We've released King, Saha, and Nelsen. Sold Kranjcar. And all the while we've still got that old cunt Gallas.

Doubt we'll get this Ade deal sorted, Remy's asking price is ridiculous, and Olsson shouldn't even be on our target list.

Ushojax

We got more players going out than coming in, Corluka, dos Santos, and possibly Defoe are also on the exit. Modric looks certain to go, Vaart is still heavily linked with a move to Germany. Gomes is probably out. We've released King, Saha, and Nelsen. Sold Kranjcar. And all the while we've still got that old cunt Gallas.

Doubt we'll get this Ade deal sorted, Remy's asking price is ridiculous, and Olsson shouldn't even be on our target list.

Gallas did a great job when called upon in the last third of the season (cup semi excepted).

Anyway, a lot of those senior players will be covered with younger players already on the books. Caulker, Smith, Townsend, and Falque will come into the squad, and 3 or 4 seniors will come in. We aren't going to have a fire sale on the good players. Shite like Bentley, Gio and Jenas will be moved on, one big player may be sold but the overall effect on the squad won't be huge. We aren't going to run out of players. The chairman is trying to build on what Harry established not piss on it, this is the right time to strengthen the first XI even though we missed the CL.

dc89

the-fuck-is-this.jpg

near

Gold Member
Gallas did a great job when called upon in the last third of the season (cup semi excepted).

Anyway, a lot of those senior players will be covered with younger players already on the books. Caulker, Smith, Townsend, and Falque will come into the squad, and 3 or 4 seniors will come in. We aren't going to have a fire sale on the good players. Shite like Bentley, Gio and Jenas will be moved on, one big player may be sold but the overall effect on the squad won't be huge. We aren't going to run out of players. The chairman is trying to build on what Harry established not piss on it, this is the right time to strengthen the first XI even though we missed the CL.

That's the problem, we'll lack alot of depth once the season starts, exactly what Harry established, a squad with no rotation. Bringing through some of these youngsters I'm okay with but we still need established senior players to be bought in. Aside from vertonghen at the moment the managerial hunt is slowing us down, and I don't even think Levy is concerned.

Chesney

Sagna/new RB
Koscienly
Vermarlen/new CB
Gibbs/Santos/new LB (Baines?)

M'Vila/Song
Sexy Man-God/Ramsey

Chamberlain/Walcott/Ryo
Wilshere
Gervinho/Podolski

Grioud

Thats the same team I would have except hoping Van Persie stays so we have:

Chesney

Sagna/
Koscienly
Vermarlen/
Gibbs/

--------------------- M'Vila/Song ----------------------
Chamberlain/Walcott/Ryo -- Wilshere/Aterta -- Gervinho/Podolski

------------------- Giroud - Van Persie ------------

Slizz

Eww...

It was the comparison that if you're Asian then you would love to get a kagawa shirt to if you're from North America, you'd love a Dempsey kit.

Gotcha, strange though. I can't recall someone referring to signing Kagawa as a boost in Asian fans. Def Japanese fans but thats about it, maybe Dortmund fans?

Gotcha, strange though. I can't recall someone referring to signing Kagawa as a boost in Asian fans. Def Japanese fans but thats about it, maybe Dortmund fans?

Mhm. I have it on good authority* that Milchmonster and Phantas2k go to bed wearing Man United Kagawa shirts each night.

*Authority may be based upon rumours spread by Elsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom