• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Someone in the Euro thread just referred to Gareth Bale as a chronic diver, in the same breath as Ronaldo and Robben.

My job is complete. Adios football GAF.

cowboy-into-the-sunset.jpg

Yen

Never heard of it, prolly too Indie for my ears ;)

Shitty band name as well.

Dropped by their label before their album came out, having been heralded as the next best thing by indie sites. You wouldn't know this because you are not totes indie, like me.

Kem0sabe

Someone in the Euro thread just referred to Gareth Bale as a chronic diver, in the same breath as Ronaldo and Robben.

My job is complete. Adios football GAF.

cowboy-into-the-sunset.jpg

That was me btw. :)

And are you saying he doesn´t dive frequently? Maybe you have been watching a different kind of Spurs.

Arnie

And are you saying he doesn´t dive frequently? Maybe you have been watching a different kind of Spurs.

No, I agree with you. I think he's a diving little tit, and I've been propagating that gif for what seems like eternity. It seems to be catching on.

Smashing talent though. Just a shame his heart is evil to the core.

RE England team selection: Good luck in the knockout stages, should we get there. Can just visualise having to play Henderson in the Semi Final, him putting in an average performance and the entire nation getting on his back because, lo and behold, he isn't Steven Gerrard.

GorillaJu

I think most people in here recognize him as a chronic diver. But we also recognize that pretty much every team has one (or a few, in Barça's case).

Arnie

One thing you get from Milner is work rate and discipline. That's why he's in the team.

Agree, don't see the hate for him really. Walcott's great when you're chasing a game and need a burst of pace in the last 20 minutes, but Milner's a willing worker for the first half of a game at least where you're trying to feel your way in and establish control. As Yenrot says, he's definitely reminiscent of Kuyt, albeit without as much of a goal threat.

It's Ashley Young that everyone should be directing their confusion towards, who's been fucking shite in both games so far.

Is Hodgson secretly being helped by Daglish? Carroll plays well so he is benched? Welbeck plays like crap besides the lucky goal but he starts?
I think it's a shame for Carroll, who did well, but I don't agree with your assertions about Welbeck. I think he's been excellent so far.

Meier

And a Twitter post from early yesterday:

@city_watch

Cavani has been my #1 target for awhile although I'd love Llorente too since he has the height we'd need if we offload Dzeko. Hopefully we can get Napoli to come to terms on a reasonable price.. the fact that Mancini has been a fan of his for many years certainly makes me think he'd be more invested (literally and figuratively) in making a run at him than the other targets.

Wes

venison crêpe
I, for one, am glad Milner is starting.

Do you really want Glen Johnson covered by Walcott? Milner does little things well and puts in the work rate. Something that went completely unnoticed was that he chased down the Swedish full back right in the corner of the pitch who then had to rush his clearance which went to Gerrard before he did that cross.

Walcott had to miss a day's training too. Bring him on in the second half and scare the hell out of them. Your a defender who has been running around for 60 minutes. The last person you want to see coming on, fresh as a daisy and with confidence, is Walcott.

Kem0sabe

No, I agree with you. I think he's a diving little tit, and I've been propagating that gif for what seems like eternity. It seems to be catching on.

Smashing talent though. Just a shame his heart is evil to the core.

RE England team selection: Good luck in the knockout stages, should we get there. Can just visualise having to play Henderson in the Semi Final, him putting in an average performance and the entire nation getting on his back because, lo and behold, he isn't Steven Gerrard.

I think most people in here recognize him as a chronic diver. But we also recognize that pretty much every team has one (or a few, in Barça's case).

That´s the problem, we overlook these kinds of behaviors when they come from our team.

Ask any ManU fan about Rooney and he will say that hes a true grit kinda guy, but he still goes to ground very cynically, same for Ronaldo, Robben, Bale, Silva, and many others.

You know what leaves me livid? when a player is clear on goal and goes down trying for the penalty instead of getting a shot off.

Anyways, im betting on England and France getting trough, should make for a pretty strong field of contenders in the quarters.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
One thing you get from Milner is work rate and discipline. That's why he's in the team.

I don't have a problem with Milner starting. He might not be anything special but he does a job, had a few nice crosses against Sweden and did some dirty work. Young has been far worse and bordered on invisible against Sweden and France. He did nothing in either half of the pitch.

'Le Croate, lui, est lié à Tottenham jusqu'en 2016. Agé de 26 ans, il est évalué à au moins 30 millions d'euros.'

hahahaha

Berba was £30m in 2008. If you want Modric prepare to get your wallet emptied.

elsk

Banned
contento_get_171011.jpg

Loyal youth product: Diego Contento extends stay at Bayern
http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/en/news/news/2012/35427.php

On Tuesday 19 June, Diego Contento agreed a three-year extension to his current contract, previously set to expire in 2013. The full-back has committed his future to Bayern until 30 June 2016.

The 22-year-old played at every youth level for the club, before earning promotion to the professional squad in 2010. The Munich-born Italian-German has made 47 appearances for FCB in the Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB Cup. He won league and cup winner’s medals in 2010, and reached the 2010 and 2012 Champions League finals with the Bavarians.

:D

Arnie

Yeah I'd rather Milner starts. He's shite but at least he can cover Johnson.

I agree, but I'd like to clarify that Milner is deputising for Johnson's attacking play, not any major deficiency in the defensive side of his game. Johnson's been one of our best performers so far, I'd say.

Agree, don't see the hate for him really. Walcott's great when you're chasing a game and need a burst of pace in the last 20 minutes, but Milner's a willing worker for the first half of a game at least where you're trying to feel your way in and establish control. As Yenrot says, he's definitely reminiscent of Kuyt, albeit without as much of a goal threat.

It's Ashley Young that everyone should be directing their confusion towards, who's been fucking shite in both games so far.

I think it's a shame for Carroll, who did well, but I don't agree with your assertions about Welbeck. I think he's been excellent so far.

Welbeck didn't play like crap at all.

Young did, mind..

Yup my bad, it's Young I'm thinking about that was really crap. Welbeck didn't play up to his standard against Sweden though but it wasn't crap.

GorillaJu

Remember he was bald? :p hair plugs are a paper-over-the-cracks measure, they aren't going to look perfect while wind blown in a picture with the sharpness increased drastically to highlight his features in an unflattering light.

Dear god I'm defending Wayne Rooney. A sign that it's past my bedtime. :(((

Fry

Oh shit. Rooney was looking good. Not so much now.

He should definitely get some hair from Carroll. And some wisdom from Roy.

Kem0sabe

Remember he was bald? :p hair plugs are a paper-over-the-cracks measure, they aren't going to look perfect while wind blown in a picture with the sharpness increased drastically to highlight his features in an unflattering light.

Dear god I'm defending Wayne Rooney. A sign that it's past my bedtime. :(((

Man should be proud of his baldness.

%255BUNSET%255D

See? i´m perfectly proud there. :D

Arnie

Wayne should just get a top up.

Regarding the ginger debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if the FA hadn't put some ginger hair-dye in the lads shampoo as yet another way to bring the nation's expectations down a notch.

My best friend's ginger.

Hixx

Wayne should just get a top up.

Regarding the ginger debacle, I wouldn't be surprised if the FA hadn't put some ginger hair-dye in the lads shampoo as yet another way to bring the nation's expectations down a notch.

My best friend's ginger.

john-terry-image-2-82824822.jpg

Arnie

It's out, but it is the blandest of all poultry, and meat.

I had grilled salmon and mash the other day, now that's bland.

Raphael Honigstein perpetuating the idea that Pep is interested in Bayern. As long as he doesn't go to Chelsea I'll be content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom