• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

Wish the Final was today. It's picture perfect weather out and I'd love to be in my pool watching the game right now.

GorillaJu

Haha, so Liverpool had a 45 minute match with the Uruguayan national team? Apparently Coates scored (for Uruguay) - Suarez and Ramirez are strike partners and Cavani chilled out. Cavani at Melwood... *cream*

Blablurn

555529_332007033546373_1418332548_n.jpg

FC Twente had a friendly game today...they won 14-1 :lol

On a related note, McLaren has told us we'll have to pay 'Stupid money' to get De Jong :(

GorillaJu

Wasn't this mis-information, and it's actually Liverpool in Uruguay?

Liverpool FC Montevideo

Aha! Indeed, you are correct. Confusing stuff. Was reading tweets from a Uruguayan NT staffer, but admittedly it was in Spanish. :)

It's ridiculous that Real Madrid supposedly think they could get Silva for £30 million. Absurd.

How is that absurd? 30m is a lot of fucking money, especially for a player who probably wants to move (I say this because of his attitude during interviews, and how he says his career as a Spanish player is suffering because he's not playing for a big Spanish side).

The only thing that really must be asked is how do you play two players with very similar skillsets in the same team every week? Özil and Silva, that is...

Haha, so Liverpool had a 45 minute match with the Uruguayan national team? Apparently Coates scored (for Uruguay) - Suarez and Ramirez are strike partners and Cavani chilled out. Cavani at Melwood... *cream*

I heard they played Liverpool of Montevideo.

Edit: Seems like someone pointed it out first.

dc89

TalkSPORT's consensus is that Mario and is mum is the defining image of Euro 2012.

I'd have to agree. I feel so good for Mario, it's like he's come full circle. He has endured racial abuse by a very small minority of Italy fans in the past and I prey he can be their hero tomorrow night, I hope he doesn't ball anything up.

GorillaJu

TalkSPORT's consensus is that Mario and is mum is the defining image of Euro 2012.

I'd have to agree. I feel so good for Mario, it's like he's come full circle. He has endured racial abuse by a very small minority of Italy fans in the past and I prey he can be their hero tomorrow night, I hope he doesn't ball anything up.

Talk radio hosts award arbitrary title to Man City player and you agree. Shock. Awe.

Kyoufu

On a related note, McLaren has told us we'll have to pay 'Stupid money' to get De Jong :(

Apparently we've let FC Twente know that we won't pay "stupid money" for De Jong.

The ball is in their court. If they don't want a cash deal then oh well. We'll look elsewhere :(

Apparently we've let FC Twente know that we won't pay "stupid money" for De Jong.

The ball is in their court. If they don't want a cash deal then oh well. We'll look elsewhere :(

Looks like we will be then, their EL game is next Thursday I think so we'd have to get him before then to make sure he wasn't cup tied.

Kyoufu

Looks like we will be then, their EL game is next Thursday I think so we'd have to get him before then to make sure he wasn't cup tied.

De Jong is on holiday right now. Not sure if he's even playing in their EL game. Hopefully we can grab him before he plays an EL game for them.

GorillaJu

What's this Mark Davies to Liverpool business then?

It's either junk, as most everything the Mirror claims is, or he'll be a backup to Lucas.

...so what's your defining image of the Euro's.

Am I not allowed an opinion?

Of course you're allowed an opinion. It's just funny that any of us here could guess your opinion on every football-related topic and be correct 99% of the time, such is your level of consistency.

Arsenal have made an official enquiry for Belhanda. This would be quality if they manage to get him. Skillful and creative.

And apparently they want Clint Dempsey aswell. Not sure if want. I mean he is a good player and prove but he isnt a creative midfielder and not sure if he would add that much to the midfield.

GorillaJu

Hard to pick a defining moment, but it certainly wouldn't be an attention whore hugging his mother on camera.

Possibly Pirlo's penalty, which showed just how serious Italy are. Or maybe Holland getting shut out and defeated by Denmark in their opening match. Or when people speculated that Spain might have a real challenge in front of them with France, who just capitulated and succumbed to mind-numbing training ground exercises for 90 minutes. Di Natale's goal was sublime too.

K1LLER7

Aha! Indeed, you are correct. Confusing stuff. Was reading tweets from a Uruguayan NT staffer, but admittedly it was in Spanish. :)

How is that absurd? 30m is a lot of fucking money, especially for a player who probably wants to move (I say this because of his attitude during interviews, and how he says his career as a Spanish player is suffering because he's not playing for a big Spanish side).

The only thing that really must be asked is how do you play two players with very similar skillsets in the same team every week? Özil and Silva, that is...

Ozil behind the striker is a better player than Silva imo. They could use Silva on the right wing like Spain have used him, but don't think they'll get as much out of him as a winger.

Defining moment for me is either the Ballotelli overhead kick or Ibra's goal of the tournament volley.

Feorax

Arsenal have made an official enquiry for Belhanda. This would be quality if they manage to get him. Skillful and creative.

And apparently they want Clint Dempsey aswell. Not sure if want. I mean he is a good player and prove but he isnt a creative midfielder and not sure if he would add that much to the midfield.

I think Arsenal's transfers so far this summer show just how their attitude has changed in 12 months.

This season was far too close a call for them, and they were really only one RVP shaped injury away from ending up in the same position we have been in over the past few years. Arsenal need to use their CL status to bring in as many quality players as possible, and it looks like they're doing just that.

Clegg

Arsenal have bought 2 decent attacking options in Giroud and Podolski. Belhanda would be another good signing but not wholly necessary like the other 2 imo.

Their defence needs shoring up. A decent leftback would be a good start.

I think Arsenal's transfers so far this summer show just how their attitude has changed in 12 months.

This season was far too close a call for them, and they were really only one RVP shaped injury away from ending up in the same position we have been in over the past few years. Arsenal need to use their CL status to bring in as many quality players as possible, and it looks like they're doing just that.

Yea I guess its a good sign, hopefully it doesnt signal that RVP is leaving. At least they are buying, nice and early. Maybe they have finally learnt their lesson.

Belhanda looks like a very interesting CAM, we were linked with him for a very short period of time in May.

Belhanda would be a true CAM, the only position we truly require except for defence.

Arsenal have bought 2 decent attacking options in Giroud and Podolski. Belhanda would be another good signing but not wholly necessary like the other 2 imo.

Their defence needs shoring up. A decent leftback would be a good start.

Giroud and Podolski are strikers as much as Arsene would like to play in left wing. Since Fab and Nasri left we havnt covered their position with a CAM. Someone who plays the same role as Kagawa is what we need.

Defence needs patching up for sure. Another (good) cover for CB would be good. Mertesaker (sp?) is far too slow.

Carbonox

Wouldn't listen to a word he has to say. He hasn't got a say in the final decision. What the media likes to ignore is that he said "IF IT WERE UP TO ME". Not that it would 100% require stupid money to get him. We'll get him and McClaren can cry in to his pillow at night once we pillage them of Douglas too.

Jensen

C*(?)nt debate backfired in the OT. A girl saved us all <3
Hopefully the Euro thread can get back to posting football and funny Balotelli photoshops. It was a poor move by Mumei to derail the thread like that even though I can sympathise with his dislike for that word.

dc89

There are so many cups out there I have no idea what the UEFA Super Cup actually is :(

Isn't it the winners of Europa League Vs winners of Champions League.

Also, UEFA have confirmed a U19 Champions League is coming in 2013. It will run alongside the normal competition, knockout stages will be single legs though and the semi's and final will be held at neutral venue.

Poor NextGen Series :(

elsk

Banned

Also, UEFA have confirmed a U19 Champions League is coming in 2013. It will run alongside the normal competition, knockout stages will be single legs though and the semi's and final will be held at neutral venue.

I see why Bayern didn't want to join the NextGen Series then.

elseanio

Hope the Next Gen keeps going. The teams involved are quality next season, I'm looking forward to it loads

elsk

Banned
Hope the Next Gen keeps going. The teams involved are quality next season, I'm looking forward to it loads

I think next season will be their last, unless they change it to u17 teams or something like that. They simply can't compete with a U19 CL.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
buffon-italy-490ai_5.jpg

Buffon on the Premier League:

"Having a competitive league doesn't necessarily mean having competitive players"

"For a number of years now, the English league has had the best football and is the best league in terms of quality. The money that's in the game means they can go and buy anyone from all over Europe or the world.

"This can happen in Spain and Italy as well as England but the league in England is no longer very faithful to what the national side needs.

"With this footballing globalisation, it's very difficult. You struggle to have players from your own country playing in the top league."

"The England national side has its own strengths and they're a lot more physical than other sides," he added.

"But England aren't very lucky. They've lost on penalties in the last five or six times, so the margins between winning and losing are very thin indeed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom