• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
Awesome new avatar, Yurt.

NEW MONTH, NEW PAGE.
ibyGcZDxhavMaF.png

(fry did it)

Lightning

Banned
Kaka's best days are behind him and Ozil still has a lot of development ahead of him. He's a great player but imo still needs help and support to keep him at the top of his game and help him out.

xbhaskarx

Aye :) considering its nearly 60k the crowd is piss poor chanting wise.
But the game is really good , lots of mistakes both ends. Exciting!

That was 5x the crowd San Jose usually gets, a significant percentage of that crowd was women who were taking photos of Beckham every time he touched the ball.

The fans are pulling a City celebration. Shame on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poznan
associated with the supporters of Polish association football club Lech Poznań

If City can steal it so can others.

xbhaskarx

Italian media report Bradley deal

As soon as American Thomas DiBenedetto took over as president of AS Roma, the club has not at all hid its desire to bring in a Yank.

According to a story today by SkySport Italia, that much-rumored deal is finally right around the corner, as Chievo have reportedly accepted Roma's offer for central midfielder and USA mainstay Michael Bradley.

Bradley is coming off of a highly successful season on a personal level for the Flying Donkeys, in the process earning himself the nickname "General Bradley" from the Chievo faithful. 2011/12 was the American's first Serie A campaign after his transfer from the Bundesliga's Borussia Mönchengladbach, with whom he had spent the better part of the previous three years.

A 2011 loan to Aston Villa of the English Premier League would prove a disappointing one for Bradley, who made only three total appearances before returning to Die Fohlen.

Bradley did not appear to waver in his confidence, however, as he went on to impress mightily for Chievo and spark a variety of different transfer rumors. In addition to Roma, Palermo, Inter Milan, Fiorentina, and reigning Serie A champs Juventus have also been said at different points to be interested in bringing Bradley aboard.

If he does end up at Roma - and SkySport has reported that the deal could be done by the end of this weekend - he will find himself alongside a highly capable mentor in the center of the field in Daniele De Rossi. While De Rossi may perhaps be best known to USMNT fans for his vicious elbow to Brian McBride in the group stages of the 2006 World Cup, the Italian international's quality is undeniable: barring injury, he will surely start for the Azzurri in the Euro 2012 final on Saturday against Spain.

Bradley's understanding of the tactical side of the game took a giant leap forward during this past season for Chievo, an improvement that was readily apparent during his recent appearances for the Red, White, and Blue. Under De Rossi's tutelage, one can likely expect more of the same.

Judging by the fact that the story was also posted on Roma's official website, it seems as if the transfer deal is incomplete really in name only.

GorillaJu

I wonder if the Mark Davies link is legitimate. I actually think he's a good player, and would make a good backup for any top team in the PL. His ball skills would make him a threat and open up space for Suarez, Gerrard, or whoever we end up signing in attacking roles.

ibiJ6EWZEiX2f1.gif

Though his end product is lacking, as the gif illustrates. Still, for a few million, for a young player, think he'd be a much better squad player than Spearing or Adam to fill that role.

jtb

Banned
Bradley is, outside of Donovan (who is decent, but has never really made it in Europe) and Dempsey (good, but extremely overrated), by far the best up and coming talent in the USNMT. Happy that he's moving to a big-ish club - Americans always seem to have a tough time getting into the premiership, but hopefully Bradley will continue getting games in Serie A.

edit: And I don't believe for a second David Silva is a Real Madrid target. The Galacticos days are over - it's all Mou running the show now. He'll want a Kaka replacement, since Ozil is better than Silva, and that replacement is Modric. In the end, everyone's happy.

GorillaJu

I rate Michael Bradley, he deserves this.

I think so too! Thought he was great in the WC2010 and America's best player, and wanted to see more of him.

Juan Agudelo may end up being our star player, and going even younger, I have high hopes for Marc Pelosi (currently one of the better players at LFC youth/reserves level):

sf-marc-pelosi_4ec26c42a9748478552565_263X.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wonder if the Mark Davies link is legitimate. I actually think he's a good player, and would make a good backup for any top team in the PL. His ball skills would make him a threat and open up space for Suarez, Gerrard, or whoever we end up signing in attacking roles.

Though his end product is lacking, as the gif illustrates. Still, for a few million, for a young player, think he'd be a much better squad player than Spearing or Adam to fill that role.

Davies is a tidy player but he's a terrible diver and very reluctant to get stuck in. He'd be a decent squad player, I suppose.

Blablurn

kaka became one of these players i would buy for a year or two in football manager. good name, decent skills, and if he still sucks... getting rid of him after one year. maybe sending im to the emirates or something. i did the same with arshavin and jisung park. but for some reason arshavin ended up at rot weiss ahlen which is a fourth tier german club lol.

GorillaJu

Davies is a tidy player but he's a terrible diver and very reluctant to get stuck in. He'd be a decent squad player, I suppose.

=\

I'd much rather have him than Spearing as the first back-up midfielder on the sub list.

Looks like Marat Izmailov is gonna leave Sporting and join Dinamo Moscow for a 5 mil fee. Makes perfect sense for Dinamo having just lost Samedov to Loko.

Now there's almost no Russian players left playing abroad except for Pogrebnyak(lol) and Bulykin(double lol). So pretty much no reason to follow any other league.

xbhaskarx

I think so too! Thought he was great in the WC2010 and America's best player, and wanted to see more of him.

Juan Agudelo may end up being our star player, and going even younger, I have high hopes for Marc Pelosi (currently one of the better players at LFC youth/reserves level):

sf-marc-pelosi_4ec26c42a9748478552565_263X.jpg

Going even younger than Pelosi there is Junior Flores, he was quite impressive with the U-17s last year (vs France Turkey Brazil)...

bjaelke

They're doing real pic july, really?
Window is now officially open.
And so it begins

Danny Carter ‏@FormidableRed
Italian journalist, Enzo Misuraca has confirmed Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Stevan Jovetić. Fee around £22m. #LFC

jtb

Banned
Wasn't Jovetic out for the whole season? Or, at least, most of it? He's ridiculously good in FM :)lol) so, can't be much worse than Liverpool's current strike force. Though Carroll has been really impressive these past couple months...

bjaelke

Wasn't Jovetic out for the whole season? Or, at least, most of it? He's ridiculously good in FM :)lol) so, can't be much worse than Liverpool's current strike force. Though Carroll has been really impressive these past couple months...

That was the 10-11 season.

Zabojnik

They're doing real pic july, really?

And so it begins

Italian journalist, Enzo Misuraca has confirmed Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Stevan Jovetić. Fee around £22m. #LFC

This is HUGE, if confirmed to be true. Jovetić is an amazing talent. Hopefully he won't be another Aquilani, as far as injuries are concerned. That's the only thing that's been holding him back, imo. I was kind of hoping he would take Del Piero's place at Juve ... I guess not, sigh.

Fry

The guy already confirmed it to be fake (he invented it himself). And now I remember the C word is banned. Bad times.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Whoever gets Jovetić is buying a potential WC talent. We bought the wrong Montenegrin :p

OT: I bought Twin Peaks a loooong time ago, and I've yet to watch a single episode. How good is it?

edit:
Marco Borriello’s agent “For now we don’t know where Borriello will play next season. We will calmly choose the best option along with Roma”

We anxiously await your decision.

I remember we were interested in Jovetic during the last transfer window. From what I saw of him he is truly greatly talented. Good enough to make up bullshit twitter rumors about for sure.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I remember we were interested in Jovetic during the last transfer window. From what I saw of him he is truly greatly talented. Good enough to make up bullshit twitter rumors about for sure.

Are you guys REALLY considering Pepe and Krasic?

dc89

Awesome new avatar, Yurt.

NEW MONTH, NEW PAGE.
ibyGcZDxhavMaF.png

(fry did it)

That's Geodude.

Also Matt Law of the Sunday Mirror reports Ledley King is set to retire. Oliver Kay from the times has retweeted the article saying its a shame.

Apparently he has a medical this week but it's understood that he already understands he will not be part of Tottenham's squad next season.

Are you guys REALLY considering Pepe and Krasic?

I mean we tried to get Krasic on loan earlier this year directly as a result of Danny being out for the year and after he turned us down (lololol) we got Arshavin instead. With Danny coming back this year I doubt we'll have any interest in Krasic. At least I really hope we don't. I never rated Krasic when he played in Russia and still don't.

As for Pepe, apparently we were close to getting him last year and interest still remains. I've heard rumblings of a Pepe coming to us in exchange for Bruno Alves but that could be bullshit. I mean Alves is slow as fuck but still better than Hubocan or Lukovic so I'd rather he stay. I don't know much about Pepe to be honest. Should we be interested in him?

GorillaJu

i4HV97gZK1aSj.png

lolololol

my Liverpool team is the shit. First season in charge and top of the league with no new signings, just good tactics. Suarez, Downing and Kuyt all average over 7.5 rating.

Bjaelke, fuck you for making me change underwear for a fake tweet. God I hate Twitter. Fuck me you had my heart pounding there for a second. Jovetic would be a godlike signing. Absolutely world class

Jan Vertonghen has ­appointed a top lawyer to help clinch his move to ­Tottenham.

The 26-year-old Belgium international has been locked in a contract ­wrangle with Ajax.

Vertonghen claims he should pocket about £1.5million from the £9m fee Spurs have agreed with the Dutch club.

Once that part of the deal is ratified Vertonghen, 25, will sign a four year ­contract with a one-year option at White Hart Lane.

But Ajax claim they should only pay a cut to the player if the full buy-out fee of about £15m is met. And Spurs have no intention of doing that.

So Vertonghen has ­appointed Dutch sports lawyer Harro Knijff to take Ajax to court over his claim for 15 per cent of any ­transfer fee.

Knijff said: “Jan ­Vertonghen is completely right in his stance against Ajax. There is no way Ajax can interpret this ­differently.

“It is a clear case for me.’’

If the deal isn’t resolved Vertonghen has threatened to sit out the final year of his contract and join Spurs as a free agent next ­summer.

If Vertonghen takes 1.5m of the 9m fee, then that means Ajax is letting go of a top notch ball playing defender for 7.5m. That would be bad business on their end, and they're one club, who like Porto, are never taken to the cleaners on transfers.

So, the new shirts in the online shop show the new numbers:
Bender 6
Gündogan 8
Götze 10
Reus 11
Kirch 17
Schieber 23
Amini 28
Günter 30
Bittencourt 32
Ducksch 34

Hahaha, fuck Götze, not that he doesn't deserve the 10 but his constant number changing is fucked up. It's his 3rd number in his 3rd proper season. Next season he's gonna take Leitner's 7 lol

Bender and Gündogan getting important numbers is pretty cool, too. Schieber is the new Shinji, he's better anyway :p

Günter and Ducksch getting numbers for the first team is interesting, too, hope they get some play time this season.

Ushojax

If Vertonghen takes 1.5m of the 9m fee, then that means Ajax is letting go of a top notch ball playing defender for 7.5m. That would be bad business on their end, and they're one club, who like Porto, are never taken to the cleaners on transfers.

A defender with a single year left on his contract is never going to command a huge fee, no matter how good. Even £9m is a bit much.

Wessiej

i4HV97gZK1aSj.png

lolololol

my Liverpool team is the shit. First season in charge and top of the league with no new signings, just good tactics. Suarez, Downing and Kuyt all average over 7.5 rating.

Bjaelke, fuck you for making me change underwear for a fake tweet. God I hate Twitter. Fuck me you had my heart pounding there for a second. Jovetic would be a godlike signing. Absolutely world class

Oh no, what a threat, our best player is going to stay with us, hehe. TBH, I'm not sure if Vertonghen is in his right. Other sources are saying that he only would get the 15% if he was sold for €20m. And now he is not, se he doesn't have the right for the 15%. So yeah let's see how this will end.

He will go on a training camp tomorrow with Ajax...

Wessiej

happy july first everbody!

do people still care about the final tonight? :(

Yeah man, I must say being eliminated from the getgo is certainly helping me to a good EC. Just relax, watch a game and enjoy. Now you on the other hand, should be devastated.

Blablurn

Yeah man, I must say being eliminated from the getgo is certainly helping me to a good EC. Just relax, watch a game and enjoy. Now you on the other hand, should be devastated.

to be honest. seeing germany losing didnt add much to the devastation that bayern already brought me :D

Ushojax

Fernando, what do you think of Del Bosque cooling you on the bench all tournament ?

VDB really is taking the piss out of him. Negredo over him? I don't know why he keeps playing Silva either, he's been crap, he's got Mata, Navas and Pedro all sitting there while Silva stinks the place out.

Moutinho backs AVB for Spurs job.

"AVB is one of the best coaches I've worked with," Moutinho is quoted as saying in the Sun. "I'd work with him again tomorrow.

Interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom