• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Bjaelke, fuck you for making me change underwear for a fake tweet. God I hate Twitter. Fuck me you had my heart pounding there for a second. Jovetic would be a godlike signing. Absolutely world class

I managed to rub one out before posting it. Then I realized it was too good to be true but proceeded to post it anyway.

He was my first signing in Soccer Manager and the only reason I managed to get promoted the first season I played the game.

Salazar

I remember being frustrated (indeed, suspicious) one time early in school football that we were playing at a field with angular posts.

I had the RAWK mindset avant RAWK.

GorillaJu

I actually think its a problem with mental training. We simply lack composure when it comes to finishing. We have only two or three squad members who maintain composure 100% of the time - Agger and Gerrard. Everyone else needs work. In particular, Henderson, Suarez, Adam and Downing - running theme seems to be our new signings :p Maybe they just need another year..

Wessiej

Do you expect Fischer to get into the first team next season? I saw that he scored in a friendly the other day.

He scored yesterday and he will go with the first team on training camp tomorrow so we'll see. I don't think so thb, maybe in the winter. Love how he plays tough.

Salazar

Decent United source talking about chats with coaching staff

Talked about Da Silva twins and how emotionally immature they are in comparison to other players...it's impacting their development

GorillaJu

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/arsene-wenger/spain-lost-sparkle-082831822--sow.html

by Arsene Wenger

These guys are more than outstanding footballers; they are really intelligent and they are winners. I want to give them credit for that. However, they have betrayed their philosophy and turned it into something more negative. Originally they wanted possession in order to attack and win the game; now it seems to be first and foremost a way not to lose.

As I said, I would make Spain slight favourites for the final. I expect them to be a bit fresher physically. Although Italy did not have extra-time in the semi-finals, the third game inside a week can be difficult, and that's where you pay the price.

Decent United source talking about chats with coaching staff
Haha, I heard the very same recently. Same coach said that Nani was a very talented but stupid footballer who doesn't understand why or how he makes decisions on the pitch despite the staffs best efforts. Reckons it will hold him back forever.

Slightly sceptical about that because he has improved since coming here a fair bit, but yeah, I can see something in that.

United have looked at Moutinho it seems. His agent is Jorge Mendes and his ownership rights involve a 3rd party. Means whatever fee is paid for him, quite a significant portion can be distributed between other parties. Sounds perfect. Told Spurs are still most likely to sign him though, he wants to work with AVB.

Ashes

Banned
Mmmmm. Raf's temper and concentration has cost us at times.

It's been tempting to assume that it's just injuries/inexperience holding them back. Sending one on loan might be a kind of ultimatum for both.

I think this depends on whether Fabio gets sent or Rafael. Fabio might head out cause there will be 2 people ahead of him, if Baines comes in. If Rafael gets sent, then that looks like marching orders, unless he really comes on strong on loan.

I thought I heard both got married, and that that has matured them. But I might have dreamt that by myself.

GorillaJu

Nani was a very talented but stupid footballer

icn_gerrardw8exn.gif
icn_gerrardw8exn.gif
icn_gerrardw8exn.gif

I think this depends on whether Fabio gets sent or Rafael. Fabio might head out cause there will be 2 people ahead of him, if Baines comes in. If Rafael gets sent, then that looks like marching orders, unless he really comes on strong on loan.

I thought I heard both got married, and that that has matured them. But I might have dreamt that by myself.
They've been married for a while I think, 2 years or so.

I'm not quite sure what emotionally immature means but i wouldn't expect that to be something said about the twins. Left home at a very young age and by all accounts have grown up very quickly. Maybe it's more to do with how they deal with pressure and responsibility.

I still think they can be fantastic players though. No way should we give up on them anytime soon.

Youre right, Stevie G is just the same!

Clegg

We aren't signing a midfielder this summer yo.

We'll have a fit Anderson and Cleverley to choose from.

They're like new signings.

bjaelke

He scored yesterday and he will go with the first team on training camp tomorrow so we'll see. I don't think so thb, maybe in the winter. Love how he plays tough.

I figured. Saw an interview with him recently (the boys in Ajax) and the atmosphere in the youth squad was fantastic. Can't imagine a better place to develop as a kid.

GorillaJu

Is there anyone in the commentary box who is anywhere near Mark Lawrenson's level? It's like the man is wired to say the wrong thing at the wrong time on every occasion. Watching the Germany Italy game and I'm getting so aggravated by his cynical blathering that I'm just gonna watch this on mute. Wish I could find it without any commentators at all.

Newcastle fans, how good is Danny Guthrie?

Not a Newcastle fan but he's had a good season and played his part in keeping Newcastle afloat in tough games. I rate him - maybe not for a club of Newcastle's ambition, but certainly capable for Reading.

Odd. I remember noting how well Fabio handled the pressure of playing RB during the run-in of the '10-11 season. One of our better performers in the CL final. And he was sublime against Arsenal in that game we played seven defenders.

I think it's injuries more than anything else that's been hindering their development, and Evra's insane fitness, for Fabio specifically.

Clegg

The twins are still only 21 so there is plenty of time for them to mature.

And it wouldn't surprise me if SAF felt he had enough midfielders. Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley.

K1LLER7

The twins are still only 21 so there is plenty of time for them to mature.

And it wouldn't surprise me if SAF felt he had enough midfielders. Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley.
Think he'll try and play Powell there a few times and see how he does, Maybe he'll try it in pre-season. Forgot Park can play there too.

Salazar

I'm up for a good pre-emptive laugh at Spurs

Does his story not remind you a bit of Brian Clough? Did wonders at Derby (Porto), did shit at Leeds (Chelsea) with the players against him, did miracles at Nottingham (Spurs?)

Yeah, I reckon Powell will get a bench/fringe spot. Provided that we sell Berba and fuck off at least a couple of wasters.

Clegg

The only midfielder I'd be remotely confident about is Carrick.

Scholes played very well last season but he only made his return in January after a 6 month break. His performances the season before weren't great. Thats why he retired in the first place. Giggs just isn't a good central midfielder and neither is Park. And the are still a loy of doubts over the form and fitness of Cleverley and Anderson.

Powell and Kagawa aren't midfielders either. But I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if SAF tries to play them there.

GorillaJu

I'm skeptical about AVB. One the one hand, I do think the players and the executives were too hard on him, but on the other hand, he was mistaken to push his philosophy so hard that he was met with that reaction.

As a teacher, I can say one thing that I know for certain: when the students are good, the teacher is good. When my students listen, pay attention, perform well in class, have a good attitude, and believe they can succeed, I can be the best teacher ever. I won an award and have been videotaped for training purposes – but the catch is, I was assigned to the top performing high school in this whole region of Japan. When you have such good students to work with, failing is impossible. It'll make you look incredible, but it's not anything you do specifically, it's that the people you do it with are fantastic.

Put me in front of a group of jackass kids and my classes are awful. The materials become uninteresting, and while I struggle to try as many different methods as possible, it just makes it worse as I reach further and further into stranger territory and lose what little grasp I have on their attention spans. I'd never get a good word for how I taught at some of the high schools where the students were never going to pay attention to me in the first place.

A manager has to be the same. AVB managed a group of top-tier Portugese and South American players in Porto. They love him because he doesn't sweat and struggle to get something that works with them - they're adaptable, they're happy, and they're willing to listen and try his style, so it all comes off.

How will he fare at Spurs? I have no idea. But he doesn't seem the type that can just walk in, stamp his authority and instantly be loved. I think this is why at Chelsea (and already with links to Spurs) it seemed every transfer target of his was from Porto, or Portugal. He wants people in who won't give him shit because (like me) he can't handle it when they do.

GorillaJu

Yeah I knew that post would come across stealth braggy. Sorry. I'm just trying to better illustrate why I buy into the criticism that the only reason AVB did well at Porto because the players were some of the best in Europe. Not only were they talented on the pitch, but they're also known for having good attitudes, they were all hard workers and despite the pressure to succeed, with Porto's resources and squad, there is never any crushing amount of stress like there is at a Premier League club. It's an environment that breeds success, and it should be no surprise that even after AVB left, Porto has gone on to win the Primeira Liga once again.

I just don't think AVB is a good enough man manager to be successful at a top PL club - not yet. I do believe he's an astute tactician and could go on to be one of the better managers of the next generation, but he shouldn't rush himself into it. I'm glad we didn't sign him at LFC, and if I were a Spurs fan I'd be uneasy about him coming there.

KidA Seven said:
A Japanese player did the Super Mario pose after scoring :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNjFI4E0J1s

hahahaha awesome.

GorillaJu

Are we still allowed to say bollox/bollocks?

I don't think so?

You can use them to refer to the body part, but if you use it in a negative context in an unrelated discussion, you're making a sexist slur that exhibits disdain for every male who reads these boards.

"Twitter bollocks" would be ban-worthy on first offense, unless of course you're referring to pictures of male genitalia posted on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom