• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

City is just one club you should be worried about, though. Chelsea are apparently going mad this window, and even though Spurs and Arsenal aren't considered title challengers, with their improvements, that will make 4 teams that United won't be guaranteed victories against, plus Liverpool away. City, meanwhile, will still have a stronger squad overall and will be beating all those teams.

Chelsea, I could see as a challenge, but I'm really not sure how good of a manager Di Matteo actually is.

Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool aren't a worry at all. United did better than City against the "other" teams this year and the league was decided by the 6 points they took off us. Those are the games that will probably decide it, again.

Arnie

Chelsea, I could see as a challenge, but I'm really not sure how good of a manager Di Matteo actually is.

Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool aren't a worry at all. United did better than City against the "other" teams this year and the league was decided by the 6 points they took off us. Those are the games that will probably decide it, again.

Liverpool away isn't a worry? You're consistently shit at Anfield.

LegoArmo

Liverpool away isn't a worry? You're consistently shit at Anfield.

Liverpool are consistently shit at Anfield too (<3). Of course United could lose that match, but then so could City. 4 points off Liverpool a season is a good result. It's not something to "worry" about.

The idea of picking out single games is silly anyway. We lost at home to Blackburn, that itself could be said to have cost us the league.

In general I wouldn't worry about Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool as title rivals however and that matter because the rivals are the sides that put pressure on you and force dropped points.

Fwiw whilst I always expect us to lose at Anfield we actually did quite well there in our performances this season gone, thought we were good in both matches.

Liverpool are consistently shit at Anfield too (<3)
tumblr_m142unAB4Q1r2chsho1_400.gif

England U19s: Johnstone, Dier, Coady, Chalobah, Garbutt, Thorpe, Keane, Thorne, Kane, Barkley, Afobe

This is a lot of group that won the U17 European Championship in 2010. So we actually might stand a chance.

baem2kk3.png

GorillaJu

That was true this season, in fact more so than it probably will be next season...yet the two teams had the same number of points.

City are better than United for sure, but it really doesn't work like this.

City will be a stronger team this year even if they don't shake up the squad at all. The games they lost last year, like Swansea away, they'll have no problem with this time around.

City will be a stronger team this year even if they don't shake up the squad at all. The games they lost last year, like Swansea away, they'll have no problem with this time around.
Why and how do you know that?

Edit - BTW, I agree they will be stronger, but I also think most of the other top teams will be too.

Arnie

Fwiw whilst I always expect us to lose at Anfield we actually did quite well there in our performances this season gone, thought we were good in both matches.

I thought you were good in the FA Cup game but you were fairly abject in the league match. Very fortunate to come away with a point.

Jensen

When I was really young and naive I used to think like that and believed we would win most of our games because our team was stronger on paper. It never worked out like that.

Arnie

Piers Morgan's a right JT. As much as I'm skeptical of AVB, his outright belief that he's going to be a failure is cocky drivel. Makes me want Spurs to do well just to shut him up, and also makes me want to see Arsenal crash and burn.

Slizz

Why and how do you know that?

Edit - BTW, I agree they will be stronger, but I also think most of the other top teams will be too.

He's a mystic. What if City actually remain in other cup tourney's this season and have to play more games? That will affect them and United as well this season.

LegoArmo

Piers Morgan's a right JT. As much as I'm skeptical of AVB, his outright belief that he's going to be a failure is cocky drivel. Makes me want Spurs to do well just to shut him up, and also makes me want to see Arsenal crash and burn.

I think it's going to be really interesting to see how he does. I like his style of play, hopefully Spurs allow him to get the players he needs for that system. I doubt they'd have sacked Harry unless they were going to invest a lot of money into the team, too.

NHale

Porto do need to sell so they will be inclined to letting players leave if they receive good offers. However they do sell very well and if Hulk is leaving to Chelsea then perhaps they don't really need to sell Moutinho.

That said, a significant portion of Moutinho's ownership rights are not in the hands of Porto and I think £25m is actually a quite reasonable price for 1) His ability 2) His age. Value in the market is just some bullshit spiel spouted by the club meaning they don't want to buy big on players who they won't be able to recoup some money off. Moutinho at 25 could be sold for a decent amount in 5 or so years.

Pinto da Costa already stated that he isn't interested in selling him unless someone shows up with at least &#8364;35M. And usually that sneaky bastard gets what he wants (I'm still laughing at clubs throwing 60M+ at Hulk and him not accepting in a heartbeat).

However according to a report from a Portuguese newspaper last week, Moutinho wants to play for AVB so his 1st choice is Tottenham.

He's a mystic. What if City actually remain in other cup tourney's this season and have to play more games? That will affect them and United as well this season.
Yep United will struggle esp with the CL. After last seasons mess up we'll be much more serious in the CL group stages but we have some terrible fixtures after most of them, can see us dropping quite a lot of points in that spell.

I'm looking forwards to seeing the progress players like Welbeck, Hernandez, Smalling and Jones have made from last season, they're all young and if one or two or them can make the step up and become more consistent in their performances it will make a big difference for us. Rafael and Cleverley too I guess.

Pinto da Costa already stated that he isn't interested in selling him unless someone shows up with at least &#8364;35M. And usually that sneaky bastard gets what he wants (I'm still laughing at clubs throwing 60M+ at Hulk and him not accepting in a heartbeat).

However according to a report from a Portuguese newspaper last week, Moutinho wants to play for AVB so his 1st choice is Tottenham.
Ah okay, thanks for the info. That is just above the £25m being quoted in the UK press so the figure makes sense enough.

Also heard Spurs are his favoured option under AVB. Can see them funding that if they sell Modric aswell.

GorillaJu

I see City improving on their point total from last season. United, I think, will not improve on their point total. Obviously, I don't “know” this – like anyone else all I can do is speculate.

City will be stronger because the team just won a title under grueling circumstances and learned a lot. Their experience and confidence will be a big boost and make them stronger. They're a fairly young team, age-wise, and a very young team as far as a title-challenging club. Players like Aguero, Silva, Hart, Balotelli and Richards are only going to be getting better. It's not really an “on paper” change so much as it is an intuition.

United's record against the bottom table teams really couldn't get much better – a game like Blackburn is practically inevitable, once a year. It may not be as embarrassing, but two years ago it was Wolves, last year it was Blackburn, and it'll probably happen again this year. Against mid-table teams they did very well, and against the top of the table teams, they did fine, with only City causing them trouble. I think their record against the bottom and mid-table clubs won't really change, but the top clubs, with their improvements, will take more points off of United.

Arnie

I think it's going to be really interesting to see how he does. I like his style of play, hopefully Spurs allow him to get the players he needs for that system. I doubt they'd have sacked Harry unless they were going to invest a lot of money into the team, too.
I think Spurs will spend relatively big. Will be interesting to see who Moutinho chooses if both Spurs and United go for him.

Feorax

I think the Gylfi saga will end within the next 24 hours, one way or another.

There's a somewhat believable rumour going round that Spurs have had enough of his delaying, and either want him to sign by noon tomorrow or they're withdrawing their offer.

Good on them if true.

I don't think it's enough or close to enough, but that's just the reality of our club. I think we need to sign over this summer and next summer; LB, CB, CM, CM, CF. And those players have to be really good player, 2/3 of which can go into the first team and actually improve the quality of the side. But I don't see it happening.

That was true this season, in fact more so than it probably will be next season...yet the two teams had the same number of points.

City are better than United for sure, but it really doesn't work like this.

I think you're being pessimistic. Not easy to see sometimes, but we have a lot of potential in our squad. Some really good young players coming through; plenty of ceiling left to reach. Vidic coming back in. Forward line sewn up. And Kagawa hopefully signifying a change for our static build-up play.

Agree that we could use two midfield signings. If both Petrucci and Pogba stay, maybe one is okay. But we should be planning for Scholes' retirement, and Anderson and Fletcher staying perma-crocked.

Don't see the point of signing Baines, honestly; no significant improvement, not far from thirty and comes with the English player tax. I'm sure we were interested for cover, but the price nixed it. Maybe look overseas for cover? Value abroad!

Ashes

Banned
I think you're being pessimistic. Not easy to see sometimes, but we have a lot of potential in our squad. Some really good young players coming through; plenty of ceiling left to reach. Vidic coming back in. Forward line sewn up. And Kagawa hopefully signifying a change for our static build-up play.

Agree that we could use two midfield signings. If both Petrucci and Pogba stay, maybe one is okay. But we should be planning for Scholes' retirement, and Anderson and Fletcher staying perma-crocked.

Don't see the point of signing Baines, honestly; no significant improvement, not far from thirty and comes with the English player tax. I'm sure we were interested for cover, but the price nixed it. Maybe look overseas for cover? You know, spot some value!

I think it'll be hard to top signing him, and getting Vidic back.

edit: Baines is a stop gap solution I think. And I rate him personally.

I see City improving on their point total from last season. United, I think, will not improve on their point total. Obviously, I don't &#8220;know&#8221; this &#8211; like anyone else all I can do is speculate.

City will be stronger because the team just won a title under grueling circumstances and learned a lot. Their experience and confidence will be a big boost and make them stronger. They're a fairly young team, age-wise, and a very young team as far as a title-challenging club. Players like Aguero, Silva, Hart, Balotelli and Richards are only going to be getting better. It's not really an &#8220;on paper&#8221; change so much as it is an intuition.

United's record against the bottom table teams really couldn't get much better &#8211; a game like Blackburn is practically inevitable, once a year. It may not be as embarrassing, but two years ago it was Wolves, last year it was Blackburn, and it'll probably happen again this year. Against mid-table teams they did very well, and against the top of the table teams, they did fine, with only City causing them trouble. I think their record against the bottom and mid-table clubs won't really change, but the top clubs, with their improvements, will take more points off of United.
6 points dropped against relegation contenders. 5 points dropped against Newcastle (good team but shouldn't be dropping 5 points against anyone IMO).

Points we should be looking to recoup this season.

I see what you're trying to say, there's an argument in there...I just don't think it's well reasoned. Alot of factors contribute to points being dropped and quite often it isn't just about matching the games up on paper. We took almost perfect points in our toughest run in the season last year when our squad was most depleted. Nobody would have predicted that really...but we managed it. I doubt we could do that again...but just proves that it's very difficult to say.

Edit - I agree on City btw, I think they will be better as a team but how that reflects on the points total is very tough to say. Last season's United team reached our second highest point total I think, not close to being one of the better United sides.

It's all predictions, speculations and gut feelings. You just said yourself that Spurs could finish in top four and get a trophy next season. Only different is that you actually wrote "I reckon" at the end of the post.
For sure, but over the season and one off results is a bit different I think. Even I think City will win the title next season...but I have no idea who and where they will drop points...I just think they'll get over the line in the end.

LegoArmo

I don't see how Ferguson talks about value so much then proceeds to buy English. The players might be good, or great in the future, but the real value in abroad.

I guess he likes to know they can handle the English game.

NHale

Don't see the point of signing Baines, honestly; no significant improvement, not far from thirty and comes with the English player tax. I'm sure we were interested for cover, but the price nixed it. Maybe look overseas for cover? Value abroad!

Not interested in Alvaro Pereira? Apparently FC Porto is desperately trying to sell him for a couple of Snickers and a coke.

dc89

In our front room we had flipped tables, spilt beers, man hugs and girly screams. None of us are City fans (3 were United).

in my GF's front room I was being goaded by her brother in law and nephew, both United fans.

Her nephew was running round shouting "yes...yes" Daniel Bryant style.

You know the rest...

NHale

After his comments about Evra, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club. A real John Terry.

Yeah forgot about that. It would be incredible dumb to sign him after that. He clearly lost his mind last year after being denied a transfer to Chelsea (that Evra comment, screaming at his coach after a sub, poor performance).

I probably am and I do tend to be pessimistic...but I still think we need signings in these areas. The midfield problem is obvious as is the problem at LB. Rio is close to the end now as are Giggs and Scholes and Vidic won't have too many years at his current level either.

Maybe some of the players will make that step up and replace those guys as important players for us but I don't think it's too unrealistic to think that we will have to bring players in to help out, if not in the first team at least at squad level.

I've also got doubts about how this squad can deal with 2 games a week which we didn't have to deal with in last season's run in.

GorillaJu

I don't see how Ferguson talks about value so much then proceeds to buy English. The players might be good, or great in the future, but the real value in abroad.

I guess he likes to know they can handle the English game.

Compare your recent buys from within the country to your foreign purchases. The correct answer is to have a balance. You spent 20m on Anderson and 18 on Ashley Young - who was the better buy?

kharma45

That works just as well, for me.

I just can't see United ever spending £40m on Modric (nor would I want them to), something I could easily see Madrid doing.

Compare your recent buys from within the country to your foreign purchases. The correct answer is to have a balance. You spent 20m on Anderson and 18 on Ashley Young - who was the better buy?

Anderson (injuries aside) could've been great value if he wasn't shoe-horned into being a CM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom