• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

I don't expect Podolski or Giroud to hit the ground running next season so it could be troubling times.

jitir.gif

Man that must be pretty worrying for Arsenal fans. Not so much the fact that he's leaving,but the reasons he's given for why.

I think the worrying thing is that sure we have replacements, but TBH, they are not proven replacements. Giroud and Podolski could both come in and be flops and we'll be dead in the water. We don't really have anyone else in the squad who can score from other positions like we proved last season with no one else scoring over 10 goals in the PL. Maybe VP will stay for his last year, but probably not, which means we very well could be screwed.

Zabojnik

Well, he did give the club his best footballing years. If it really isn't (purely) a contract / money issue ... I really don't see how anyone could call him an asshole or ungrateful, especially if it'll allow Arsenal to sign a few talented players.

Seems a pretty similar sitiuation to Zidane moving to Real. It was one of the saddest moments in my life as a Juve fan, but it did allow us to buy Buffon, Thuram, Nedved, Salas ... Although that's probably not what's going to happen at Arsenal. :p

jtb

Banned
Still got 1 more year, right? Sell him now IMO, it's the most logical option.

Also who will be our next captain?

probably TV. not my first choice (he just arrived three years ago, isn't that great of a defender and giving him the armband probably means we won't get an upgrade anytime soon :lol), but I can't see anyone else getting it since he's already vice-captain. but then again, Wenger has pissed off many a vice-captain in his time at Arsenal :lol, so I don't know. maybe Jack... if he ever returns from injury, I can see Wenger forcing the armband onto him to keep him from leaving, like he tried (and failed) with Fabregas and RVP.

Seems a pretty similar sitiuation to Zidane moving to Real. It was one of the saddest moments in my life as a Juventus fan, but it did allow us to buy Buffon, Thuram, Nedved, Salas ...

this is my main concern. Cesc and Nasri were sold... and the players brought in with that money were almost all completely shit and not good enough, Arteta excluded. that money still has to be around somewhere (maybe paying off Podolski and Giroud), but hopefully now that RVP's getting sold early we can actually get some quality players into this squad.

like M'Vila. plzplzplz.

I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

This is worse than RVP leaving.

Arnie

I think the worrying thing is that sure we have replacements, but TBH, they are not proven replacements. Giroud and Podolski could both come in and be flops and we'll be dead in the water. We don't really have anyone else in the squad who can score from other positions like we proved last season with no one else scoring over 10 goals in the PL. Maybe VP will stay for his last year, but probably not, which means we very well could be screwed.

Giroud could quite conceivably be the next Chamakh, and last time Podolski got a big move he couldn't handle the pressure. Very precarious moment for Arsenal. In my opinion they have to sell him; it's madness letting a player of his quality leave on a free transfer. I still think Arsenal need to reinvest the money into a third striking option though.

It's ridiculous to write Arsenal off though, they've proven time and time again that they'll find their feet regardless. You have to just trust in Wenger to find an adequate replacement, of which he may feel he already has.

Dibbz

I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

This is nothing new. Everyone knows Arsenal do not spend on big players.

omgkitty

Giroud could quite conceivably be the next Chamakh, and last time Podolski got a big move he couldn't handle the pressure. Very precarious moment for Arsenal. In my opinion they have to sell him; it's madness letting a player of his quality leave on a free transfer. I still think Arsenal need to reinvest the money into a third striking option though.

It's ridiculous to write Arsenal off though, they've proven time and time again that they'll find their feet regardless. You have to just trust in Wenger to find an adequate replacement, of which he may feel he already has.

Exactly. Which is why I'm so worried. I've seen this shit too many times before to know that we won't be buying any more strikers this summer and if anything, it probably means Chamakh will stay. I think if anything, we need a playmaker who sits in behind the striker who can score and setup other players. If we can replace RVP with that, I think we'll be okay.

Also he better not sign for fucking City or I may have to burn my jersey.

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm not taking that piece at face-value. Arsenal have signed two really impressive players and the transfer window has only just opened. He's had his head turned by the potential payday. Can't really blame him though, unless you're an Arsenal fan, can you? His years as a player are numbered and he can get a load of cash with the right move.

near

Gold Member

This has been Arsene's philosophy and project for the last 10 years, it's a good project but it doesn't help that when the players he has been raising for 3-7 years become class that they leave. It's become a hobby and habbit for the Arsenal board and along the way the vision of Wenger has become destroyed. At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger gave up on the plan or the club.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This is nothing new. Everyone knows Arsenal do not spend on big players.
Of course, and it seems from this that it isn't changing.

Of course, RVP will say what fits his side of the story. Arsenal have done some good early business and look like they'll do some more, maybe RVP wanted a massive spend right this minute. But nonetheless, that it seems from his viewpoint the prudence will continue...is bad news.

omgkitty

Of course, and it seems from this that it isn't changing.

Of course, RVP will say what fits his side of the story. Arsenal have done some good early business and look like they'll do some more, maybe RVP wanted a massive spend right this minute. But nonetheless, that it seems from his viewpoint the prudence will continue...is bad news.

I read an article a while back before the Euro's where RVP was talking about how he missed Cesc because he was able to setup so many chances for him every game. Could it possibly be that he wanted Arsenal to sign someone like that, and Arsenal just flat out said we don't need someone like that? I honestly could see this, which is sad because we really do need a player like this.

Hieberrr

RVP is leaving? Great timing... just when I decided to finally pick up a PL team.

I don't have much faith in Podolski. I feel like he only does well if he's your main guy, otherwise he'll disappear.

Zabojnik

I know, I know. :( Fucking Salas. C. Ronaldo was already packed and ready to move to Torino and the Chilean refused to move to Portugal and everything went up in flames. Still, he was an idol for both Vidal and Isla. I like to think that they admired him at Juve and that nostalgia played a role when Marotta came calling. :D

Anderson

Another player gone, think I'd get used to it by now, but hurts more each summer

Curse of the captain strikes again, please make one of Denilson/Bendtner/Diaby captain AW

Hold me Arsenal GAF :(

Arnie

Yeah, I'm not taking that piece at face-value. Arsenal have signed two really impressive players and the transfer window has only just opened. He's had his head turned by the potential payday. Can't really blame him though, unless you're an Arsenal fan, can you? His years as a player are numbered and he can get a load of cash with the right move.

I'm sort of with you on this one:

What more could Arsenal have done to prove they mean business? They've signed Podolski, a German international and Giroud, the hottest prospect in Ligue 1. What does RVP want from them if not money? In what way could Arsenal quantify their future intentions besides signing top players?

I personally feel his statement is meant to cover his own back from Arsenal fans because he's going to City. I don't doubt he loves the club, after such a long time there it'd be hard not to, but I feel money's the primary mover here, not some abstract quantification of future intent.

jtb

Banned

eh, see - the next Chamakh is misleading, because Chamakh was relatively good before RVP returned from injury and forced him out of the side. maybe this is a pipe dream, but I see him much closer to Adebayor - he's skilled with his feet, an arieal threat, and most importantly, scored loads of goals (passed 20 goals a season twice iirc) - something that Chamakh never did. Chamakh was a support striker told to play as lone striker up front, which was a disaster waiting to happen. Giroud's a natural number 9 and had tons of assists last season, and scored only one headed goal. He's exactly what we need in the striker department, I think.

Podolski... meh. He hasn't done much to impress me, but at least this confirms he won't be playing on the wing! (hopefully)

Exactly. Which is why I'm so worried. I've seen this shit too many times before to know that we won't be buying any more strikers this summer and if anything, it probably means Chamakh will stay. I think if anything, we need a playmaker who sits in behind the striker who can score and setup other players. If we can replace RVP with that, I think we'll be okay.

Also he better not sign for fucking City or I may have to burn my jersey.

exactly. why hasn't a replacement for Nasri or Cesc been found? that's what this squad really needs—provided he doesn't get injured, I'm confident Giroud can score 20 goals a season with a world class midfield providing for him.

Zabojnik

Other than City, what other clubs could be in for him? Real? Juve? PSG?

Is Real really interested? Could be a concrete possibility, if so. I really don't see him moving to Juve. On our part, there's the whole huge wage / transfer money / age thing. On his ... Why go to Juve, if winning what I can only presume is the CL is all he seems to really care about? Granted, we just won the scudetto and I think we'll do fairy well both in the CL in the domestic league over the next few years. But if you're looking for anything resembling a guaranteed CL trophy, then the way to go is still Real / Barca. Or, if you believe the hype, City / PSG.

My money is on City.

Man, some people hate City more than us, Glazers well and truly f***ed us.

I'm in the car listening to Rita Ora's "RIP". No prizes for guessing my freestyle lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom