• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

Also, why is there a Copa America in 2015 and 2016?

EDIT: It looks like they don't have a structure (e.g., every 4 years)... WUT?

EDIT2: Oh damn I thought I was the only one. There's no talk about the match in this thread. I missed the first half due to a late class, but yeah, I'm here for the 2nd.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
corinthians are cancheros as fuck
Also, why is there a Copa America in 2015 and 2016?

EDIT: It looks like they don't have a structure (e.g., every 4 years)... WUT?

EDIT2: Oh damn I thought I was the only one. There's no talk about the match in this thread. I missed the first half due to a late class, but yeah, I'm here for the 2nd.
2016 will be the centenary of the first copa américa, so they are making an exception.

Hieberrr

GOAL!

YES YES YES!

What a lame goal though
KuGsj.gif

corinthians are cancheros as fuck

2016 will be the centenary of the first copa américa, so they are making an exception.

Ah, thanks :)

Weird that they chose to hold the 100th one in the U.S. though :S

I guess it's good for me if I decide to make the trip from Canada LOL

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EMERSON
Regulus arrives. Corinthians scores.
I wish I had the same effect on Chivas. :(
Ah, thanks :)

Weird that they chose to hold the 100th one in the U.S. though :S

I guess it's good for me if I decide to make the trip from Canada LOL
Copa América in its current format just doesn't work: too few teams, many which do not generate any expectatio, and that's without mentioning attendance was awfully low for last year's tournament in Argentina. Ideally both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL should just merge together, but a Panamerican cup is the closest thing to that.

Hieberrr

I really hope Corinthian's get their first (even though I totally understand the hate that they get from most Brazilians).

Holy shit, they score another one as I am typing this
KuGsj.gif

mozfan12

Banned
EMERSON

Copa América in its current format just doesn't work: too few teams, many which do not generate any expectatio, and that's without mentioning attendance was awfully low for last year's tournament in Argentina. Ideally both CONCACAF and CONMEBOL should just merge together, but a Panamerican cup is the closest thing to that.

Dont forget to mention that Conmebol has money in their eyes by having the tournament in the US.

Its a smart move in my opinion, and honestly I think its pretty great that central american teams like El Salvador and the like will have the chance to play in a bigger international tournament with the likes of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay.

The gold cup is actually pretty successful even if it literally has no coverage within the US or outside Concacaf.

Game over, good riddence boca! I will never forget 2001.

Hieberrr

EMERSON

Yeah, that does sound better. I take it these Pan American Cups aren't held very often (or has it ever)?

It'd be nice if these two federations merged or at least had a regular championship.

mozfan12

Banned
Yeah, that does sound better. I take it these Pan American Cups aren't held very often (or has it ever)?

It'd be nice if these two federations merged or at least had a regular championship.

Nope but its been in the talks for a couple of years now. Glad thats its finally coming to friution.

jtb

Banned
all those carribean islands that were warner's power base for years can fuck off as far as I'm concerned... CONMEBOL and CONCACAF should have merged or at least worked together far more than they currently do.

Hieberrr

This would be the first time.

The problem is the Caribbean islands. There's literally no reason for them to allow such a thing to happen.

Gives them the chance to compete in something more important than the Gold Cup at least and if Pan American takes off, I do think that more of an effort will be put into developing football. That and TV coverage I guess.

I mean, at least it'll give them more of a reason to compete than right now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Gives them the chance to compete in something more important than the Gold Cup at least and if Pan American takes off, I do think that more of an effort will be put into developing football. That and TV coverage I guess.

I mean, at least it'll give them more of a reason to compete than right now.
The people in charge of the Caribbean federations don't give two shits about football. There's a reason the Gold Cup is always staged in the USA (read: $$$). Merging both confederations would give the continental sides more political power to rival that which they have over there.

mozfan12

Banned
The problem is that there are a lot of nations within the carribeans which gives then a lot of political power since each country gets a vote even if they add nothing to the confederation. Not surprising the president always tends to come from there. Mexico and the USA should really start fighting back, but we all know playing in the concacaf basically guarantees a WC sport for us (Mexico) and the USA

Hieberrr

The people in charge of the Caribbean federations don't give two shits about football. There's a reason the Gold Cup is always staged in the USA (read: $$$).

Well, then the Caribbean can go fuck itself :lol

and man this game is dirty as fuck.. finger biting? Really?

TeegsD

Looks like Sporting has partnered with Football One in order to help football development in India. We just signed the captain of the Indian NT to play on our "B" team. I'm all for helping football develop around the world.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You can expect an brawl at end of the match.
It wouldn't be a Libertadores final if there weren't a bronca. Chivas vs Internacional and Peñarol vs Santos were just as scrappy.

Also: three straight years of a Brazilian team winning. Are you even trying, rest of the Americas?
we tried :( we were just awful

Xena

TODO PODEROSO TIMAO! CORINTHIANS, MINHA VIDA, MINHA PAIXAO!

It's so nice to see I had something left to cheer, some history being written for my generation, the first Libertadores title!!! I hope we play well against Chelsea in Japan! VAI, CORINTHIANS!

Assinado, uma do bando de loucos por ti!

Meier

Lucas Moura will be better than Neymar. #believe

I don't think so, but he's also incredibly talented. Brazil's young attacking corps is out of this world right now. 10 years from now people will be in awe of them all being on the national team at the same time.

GorillaJu

I don't think so, but he's also incredibly talented. Brazil's young attacking corps is out of this world right now. 10 years from now people will be in awe of them all being on the national team at the same time.

Small chance of this happening, IMO. Brazil's players are pretty one-dimensional, even if skilled. Spain would run them ragged, and I don't see any reason to believe it would change drastically in 10 years. They were knocked out of the Copa America last year because they couldn't even put one goal past Paraguay (who Uruguay beat 3-0 in the final).

In 10 years most of these young attacking players will have moved to Europe and become perma-crocks or couldn't cut it in top teams with real defenses and tactics. Then we'll be talking about the next 19 year olds with sexy dribbling skills.

Germany's young players are impressive - Brazil's are just flashy.

Lightning

Banned
I still cant get over how disrespectful that message from RVP was. The anger I feel for him right now is just immeasurable. Arsenal fans are frustrated as much as anyone with Wenger's policies when it comes to transfers and how things should be done but this was not the way to treat the man who stood by you through thick and thin when you were injured for majority of our seasons and Cesc Fabregas was carrying your punk ass. No problem with you wanting to move on but that statement this morning has removed every ounce of respect I possibly had for the player.

Wenger's ways are very frustrating but he deserved better than this. This was the ultimate stab in the back. Cesc showed his class last year by keeping quiet and working behind the scenes and RVP should have done the same. He owed Wenger and Arsenal that much. That statement was a slap in the face and a "I'm bigger than the club" type bullshit. Fuck you RVP. JUST FUCK YOU.

If you want to leave, piss off. I know reports are going to come in how this is it for Arsenal, going to fall mid table, but we shall see about that. We shall see.

GorillaJu

I still cant get over how disrespectful that message from RVP was. The anger I feel for him right now is just immeasurable. Arsenal fans are frustrated as much as anyone with Wenger's policies when it comes to transfers and how things should be done but this was not the way to treat the man who stood by you through thick and thin when you were injured for majority of our seasons and Cesc Fabregas was carrying your punk ass. No problem with you wanting to move on but that statement this morning has removed every ounce of respect I possibly had for the player.

Wenger's ways are very frustrating but he deserved better than this. This was the ultimate stab in the back. Cesc showed his class last year by keeping quiet and working behind the scenes and RVP should have done the same. He owed Wenger and Arsenal that much. That statement was a slap in the face and a "I'm bigger than the club" type bullshit. Fuck you RVP. JUST FUCK YOU.

If you want to leave, piss off. I know reports are going to come in how this is it for Arsenal, going to fall mid table, but we shall see about that. We shall see.

But, but he said he has respect for the fans! Aren't we supposed to believe 100% of what they say to the public? Just like how Gylfi Sigurdsson didn't mention money as a reason for joining Spurs, that couldn't possibly be the largest determining factor, right?

Boca is the Bayern of Latino America if they lose the copa Argentina.

Pretty sure Leverkusen had it worse.

But, but he said he has respect for the fans! Aren't we supposed to believe 100% of what they say to the public? Just like how Gylfi Sigurdsson didn't mention money as a reason for joining Spurs, that couldn't possibly be the largest determining factor, right?

lol.

I dont think he'll ever have a healthier season than the one he just had. So I can't really blame him for bolting for a big payday.

Blablurn

one good season of poldi or giroud and nobody will think about RVP anymore. stay strong!

jtb

Banned
Small chance of this happening, IMO. Brazil's players are pretty one-dimensional, even if skilled. Spain would run them ragged, and I don't see any reason to believe it would change drastically in 10 years. They were knocked out of the Copa America last year because they couldn't even put one goal past Paraguay (who Uruguay beat 3-0 in the final).

In 10 years most of these young attacking players will have moved to Europe and become perma-crocks or couldn't cut it in top teams with real defenses and tactics. Then we'll be talking about the next 19 year olds with sexy dribbling skills.

Germany's young players are impressive - Brazil's are just flashy.

agreed - plus, it's easy to forget that Brazil (and just about every top notch national team) is carried by the quality of their defensive midfielders; without the ability to retain the ball, they can't utilize their attacking flashiness in the first place. no quality defensive midfielders/ball retainers... and you get the English national team. so far, all the promising stars are all strikers/wingers/attacking midfielders - the Neymars, the Lucas Mouras, the Gansos, etc.

and as for that copa america... not only could they not score a goal, they couldn't even convert a penalty! one of the worst penalty shootouts I've ever seen; Brazil's got a long way to go and even if they do develop they'll still have a ridiculously strong Argentina and Uruguay in their way - and that's just South America alone.

RVP or no, this squad is better than last season's squad, I think. and yeah, even moreso than Cesc or Nasri, RVP owed so much to Wenger for sticking with him through all those injuries. he was not world class when he arrived, not even close (not even a striker!) and Wenger, more than any other members of the recent exodus, helped him become the player he is today.

whatever. I want my reinforcements. and I want M'Vila.

plus, we all know RVP wanting out is a blessing in disguise. he's getting injured next season - and if that helps derail City's title challenge (and net us a good fee), so be it.

Meier

I don't necessarily mean their NT as a whole, just on an individual talent level -- their attackers are quite impressive.

Hulk (not as young as the others)
Pato
Neymar
Lucas Moura
Leandro Damiao
Ganso
Willian
Oscar

A number of those guys will likely end up being world class or are already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom