• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSG forked 14+ million :eek:
How much are Juve offering? Surely he could have said, no I want Juve and Juve only.

This sounds like it was written in October 2011.

Arsenal finished 3rd in the Premier League. You've bought two class players already, and will no doubt bring in M'Vila, as well as either a new keeper or a defender. That's excellent business in the transfer window. And you have spent modest sums of money in the process.

In my mind there's no doubt Arsenal, should they keep Van Persie, would challenge for the title next season. Van Persie wants the obscene though, he wants guarantees. How can you guarantee a Premier League title, unless you're City and you can spunk away money?

This whole doom and gloom posturing from certain Arsenal fans is ridiculous, your club's going in a healthy direction (unlike United), you're making some very good signings (unlike many teams), and you were the third best team in the league last season.

RVP is being a classless JT here, no two ways about it, it's his job to score goals, and if he'd shut up and do that Arsenal might well have a chance of winning something next season. He's also showing a lot of disrespect for his teammates who created a good chunk of his goals, Song in particular.
Bold statement. Their team and squad is quite a way away from being a title challenging side IMO. Made some good additions so far and Wilshere back will help too, but they were well adrift this year. Not sure what they've done so far is enough to compensate especially as they haven't even looked at the weakest area of the side yet, defence.

I think RVP knows Koscielny is not good enough but he's frustrated Wenger and the board won't bring in anyone better.
Trollolololol.

Arnie

Well that's you're opinion. Not only do I think its wrong, but I think its short-sighted.

It's short-sighted compared to a hypothesis that suggests Van Persie made up his mind to leave some six years ago.

Bold statement. Their team and squad is quite a way away from being a title challenging side IMO. Made some good additions so far and Wilshere back will help too, but they were well adrift this year. Not sure what they've done so far is enough to compensate especially as they haven't even looked at the weakest area of the side yet, defence.
Defensively they've got a lot of work to do but their midfield, and now attacking options are fast becoming excellent. Song, Arteta, Wilshere, M'Vila (probably) is an immense midfield, perhaps up their with the very best. RVP, Podolski, Giroud, Ox and Walcott is a similarly fantastic strike force (should they continue with 4-3-3). Obviously I don't share everyone's pessimism when it comes to Schezseseseny, I think he's a very good young keeper, and I think Koscielny isn't as bad as some are making out.

They're fine margins away, and they need to build depth in their defence, but they're close.

Salazar

USWNT kit is legit.

3jIMc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tszCsV-J5s

<3<3<3

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
In my mind there's no doubt Arsenal, should they keep Van Persie, would challenge for the title next season.

Seriously? Arsenal will never win anything with that defence. Teams that challenge for the title don't concede 3 goals at home to Norwich or gift Wigan two goals in the first 10 minutes of a home match with their first choice back 4 playing. Van Persie's one-off goal haul took them from bottom half to 3rd. If he even scored half the goals (16 or so, about what you'd expect) they would have been nowhere, that's how shit their defence was.

GorillaJu

I don't think Arsenal has a title-challenging squad, but they do have a title-challenging manager, and then 11 quality players to help him out with that bid.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How much are Juve offering? Surely he could have said, no I want Juve and Juve only.

He did, quite a few times.

Ignoring his ridiculous wage, he's 19, was probably promised a place in the starting XI, and is going to play in the CL with an Italian coach.

With Juve, he was never going to be in the XI for at least two years with Pirlo around.

Hmm, City kit looks good but it feels a bit limited somehow, almost looks like a training top. Will look better with patches and numbering probs.

Nice and smart though, as is the norm with Umbro.

GorillaJu

Yeah, the lack of PR in my post is pathetic.

hahaha.

No not that, I mean the
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif
standing next to Vincent Kompany. Smarmy little git.

Facebook image looks to be un-touched in Photoshop, which is why the colors are wrong. I actually love the shirt, the only thing I'm not keen on is the black/white logo and the three stars.

Ushojax

I don't think Arsenal has a title-challenging squad, but they do have a title-challenging manager, and then 11 quality players to help him out with that bid.

Sure, but the best squad always wins the league. If Vermaelen, Gibbs or Sagna gets crocked (for the umpteenth time) then we're into Djourou territory. The rest of the top clubs have a Dawson, a Smalling, a Cahill sitting on the bench. Arsenal have Mertesacker.

It's short-sighted compared to a hypothesis that suggests Van Persie made up his mind to leave some six years ago.

You misunderstood. RVP didn't make up his mind six years ago, but he can clearly realise the same problems that have dogged the club currently have done so for six years that led to the clubs best players leaving. The meeting he had with Wenger and the chairman was to see whether anything would change now. It was made "clear again" that it would not.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Looks good.

What do you English "chaps" think about American accents, for example Hope Solo's voice? I must admit that all other things being equal, I will always give preference to a girl with an accent of any kind (except Chinese or Vietnamese).

There's a new Rodgers interview on liverpoolfc.com but I am not a member / cry crY CYCRYYYYY

Nothing beats a girl with an accent <3

GorillaJu

The pictures look different because the darker one is clearly straight from the camera raw file. The lighter one had its white balance adjusted in Photoshop to show more accurate colors, and also has had some shading work done.

Arnie

You misunderstood. RVP didn't make up his mind six years ago, but he can clearly realise the same problems that have dogged the club currently have done so for six years that led to the clubs best players leaving. The meeting he had with Wenger and the chairman was to see whether anything would change now. It was made "clear again" that it would not.

I personally think you're squad's far healthier now, and your signings far more positive, than during your post 2006 spell of fragility and inexperience. Your defence needs improving, as I've said, but your midfield and attack is up there with the best in the league should RVP stick around.

GorillaJu

Sure, but the best squad always wins the league. If Vermaelen, Gibbs or Sagna gets crocked (for the umpteenth time) then we're into Djourou territory. The rest of the top clubs have a Dawson, a Smalling, a Cahill sitting on the bench. Arsenal have Mertesacker.

Going to pretend you didn't just happen to include Dawson because he's on your team (Mertesacker is better), but the point I was making is that the abilities of the manager and the abilities of the player don't align. They'll never get a title with that squad, but they will always be in contention for a top 4 finish.

Yurt said:
Nothing beats a girl with an accent <3

Even American?! Isn't it... boring?

Meier

Meier's gonna love this. :)

Haha, one of the best things I've ever seen on my Facebook news feed! Here's a close-up from the website:

I'm sad this will be the last Umbro shirt.. they fit so well due to the chest-based sizing. :( I like the new design, but it feels a bit plain without the extra "flourishes" that last season's had (the dot's on the front, etc.).

Those Hope Solo exercises are pretty good. People outside the US forget to do plyometric exercises for some reason. Most of the German gyms I've been to don't even have the space for those. There's only a few rooms for dumb group exercises (Zumba et al.)

dc89

I bet the away kit is actually nicer than the home.

And I wonder if we will have a third kit this season, either a new one or last years red and black away.

Kinda hope for red and black, I already have that and it feels good to get a extra season out of a shirt.

I personally think you're squad's far healthier now, and your signings far more positive, than during your post 2006 spell of fragility and inexperience. Your defence needs improving, as I've said, but your midfield and attack is up there with the best in the league should RVP stick around.

The issue isn't merely having a healthy, or even complete, squad. Norwich have a healthy complete squad. The issue is having a squad to compete for the title and the Champions League. Every year we have gone back a step from where we were. The question the board have to answer is; are we a title challenging team? What are our short-term goals? And if we are, then what has been done to address the obvious failure of the past seven years? If they convey the message that our main aim is to remain in the Champions League, then fine. As long as the fans and players know where we are.

Meier

I bet the away kit is actually nicer than the home.

And I wonder if we will have a third kit this season, either a new one or last years red and black away.

Kinda hope for red and black, I already have that and it feels good to get a extra season out of a shirt.

Well, we have that maroonish colored away one that I think is quite sharp.. I am not sure where the rumor originated, but I've heard black and white for the third kit design.

As a reminder for the uninformed:

Maroon-Manchester-City-Kit-Leaked-2012-13.jpg

GorillaJu

Ade will be great for us. He's exactly the type of player AVB can't handle. I really hope Spurs sign him permanently and use up a bunch of their wage allocation for him.

Ushojax

Vertonghen and Ade.

I really hope we get Adebayor back.

There was a brief mention in the Times' piece on AVB yesterday that Assou-Ekotto could leave over a contract dispute. Presumably he wants a bit more money to reflect his importance to the side, hopefully Levy gives it to him because he's a really important player for us.

Ade will be great for us. He's exactly the type of player AVB can't handle.

Ade is a totally different person since that bus shooting incident he was involved in. People kept saying last season that he would go back to being a dick but it never happened. I have full confidence in him.

Ade will be great for us. He's exactly the type of player AVB can't handle. I really hope Spurs sign him permanently and use up a bunch of their wage allocation for him.
Desperation.

This is what it looks like.

If Spurs manage to get Adebayor they've done well. Not sure he is a great striker but he was working for them so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom