• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

we don't need a replacement for RVP, we need a replacement for Fabregas/Nasri. if the board caves under the pressure and panic buys an overpriced, overhyped "elite" striker (read: any striker not Falcao) I'm going to be fucking pissed. Giroud and Podolski will be fine; hell, it's better strike depth than what we've had since... basically since Henry left.

I agree with the latter but definitely not with the former.

Kyoufu

Senegal vs Ivory Coast in the ACON qualifier. Only one team can go through. If Ivory Coast win, we won't lose Cisse/Ba next year......

COME ON IVORY!

Carbonox

Senegal vs Ivory Coast in the ACON qualifier. Only one team can go through. If Ivory Coast win, we won't lose Cisse/Ba next year......

COME ON IVORY!

This is some form of luck for us I guess. Would rather lose Tiote to the tournament than Ba and Cisse. But we definitely need to wrap up the deal for Anita so he can slot in to cover Tiote perfectly.

jtb

Banned
Not to forget earning more money on top of it.

31 matches doesn't seem half bad to me for one season.

eh, he'll always be second choice as long as Silva (cue "reports" of Silva going to Real Madrid) is at the club. maybe even third choice if Tevez continues to play in that deeper striker position.

I agree with the latter but definitely not with the former.

who's your ideal replacement for RVP?

sixghost

Nah, I think this time around we might play good earlier than usual. Every single year, the instability during the summer is what keeps us perform poorly. However, if the big names stay, I reckon the motivation will push a bit more.

Edit: Come on guys. Can't a person have optimism around here? Geez...

There's still lots to do. Come September 1st, if Baines and Felli are still there, Anichebe and maybe Cahill are gone, and the squad starts to fill out with players like Pienaar, Pranjic, Donavon and a second striker, then it'll be time to get excited.

Salvadora

who's your ideal replacement for RVP?

We have Podolski & Giroud, both talented players & both have me excited about the coming season but neither are a replacement. I think both RVP & Cesc share something in common, Both would be incredibly difficult/expensive to find any sort of ideal replacement. No player comes to mind as trying to replace a player who has scored 30 goals in the league this last season, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Arnie

The ideal replacement for Van Persie is Lewandowski, without question. Don't think you'd be able to tempt him away from Dortmund though.

dc89

We don't need RVP.

City are heavily monitoring a 17 year old who plays in Argentina, Dybala, who is dubbed "the next Aguero".

Yeah!! They keep the ones they want. They kept Rooney right? Wonder how..
WAYNE ROONEY. It's been a while.

Fryers is going to get £20k a week? No way can that be right. He sure as hell isn't going to get it at United anyway. Danny Welbeck is still only on £15k or so a week and he's achieved a hell of a lot more than any of these ungrateful shits have lately.

Club is doing the right thing with these players. Don't necessarily agree if we don't give some of the higher profile players the wages they want but these nobodies are hilarious. Fryers really hasn't even demonstrated much. He could be good one day, I really don't know, but he is nothing to shout about yet...and we all know how easily MUFC-GAF like to shout about our young players.

dc89

Well I quickly looked up Citys last 20 PL matches : 16 he started in. 1 he was not on the bench (injury, suspensions?) and in one of them he got subbed in...

Don't be silly! Some people don't look at stats, they'd rather just call him a bench warmer who plays 1 in 10 games.

Zamparini already bought him!

Well I guess that's that.

---

Viva I was making that point about Welbz yesterday and someone said he was on close to £50k.

Your figure of £15k is the wage I understood too!

Also he's 18 now, you must be reading some old sporks news. There was some speculation if Zamps had really bought him when he claimed it like two months ago, the agent said Dybala hadn't signed a contract but Zamps claimed he had already paid the money to the club. :lol

But he arrived in Palermo yesterday and has applied for an Italian citizenship (his Mother is apparently from Italy) so Palermo can sign more foreign players. Aw yeah.

Viva I was making that point about Welbz yesterday and someone said he was on close to £50k.

Your figure of £15k is the wage I understood too!
I think he is renegotiating his contract at the moment and he'll be on something like £50k when he signs that (if he signs that? Plz Danny).

But yeah, he's played in the first team before and gone out on loan and even played in finals for us. These upstarts have had a few CC minutes and that's it.

jtb

Banned
We have Podolski & Giroud, both talented players & both have me excited about the coming season but neither are a replacement. I think both RVP & Cesc share something in common, Both would be incredibly difficult/expensive to find any sort of ideal replacement. No player comes to mind as trying to replace a player who has scored 30 goals in the league this last season, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

eh, I think we need a change in system more than anything. back to the 07-09 system before Adebayor left, a quasi 4-2-3-1/4-2-2 with Adebayor as main striker and RVP/whoever was fit as a support striker, except replace Adebayor with Giroud/Podolski and RVP with a world class midfielder. I think Giroud/Podolski... they're both around Adebayor level of quality, and he was a decent striker for us. so that'd my ideal system for next season.

We don't need RVP.

City are heavily monitoring a 17 year old who plays in Argentina, Dybala, who is dubbed "the next Aguero".

Yes you do. And you want him for 30m (plz). and there's no way City would get a work permit for this kid.

The ideal replacement for Van Persie is Lewandowski, without question. Don't think you'd be able to tempt him away from Dortmund though.

I don't know about that - I like Lewandowski a lot, but I also think his performances flatter to deceive because he has such a fantastic midfield in support. that's why I say, someone like Giroud/Podolski - if they can score 20 goals with Montpelier/Koln type service, they'd do equally well with Arsenal's midfield I think. anyways, like you said - he wouldn't come even if we wanted him.

Don't be silly! Some people don't look at stats, they'd rather just call him a bench warmer who plays 1 in 10 games.

my point was more that he'll end up warming the bench one way or another. just like Kolo and Adebayor and RVP once he gets injured. since the question was about next season...

jtb

Banned
He's way to good for them!

sad but true.

plus, he wouldn't be of much use to us. we already crash out of the champions league in the first round on a regular basis, and his league-winning abilities were nullified this season :(

near

Gold Member
Just got word that the Oscar deal is further than they're saying in the media.

Steve P out, GDS out, Jenas and Bentley got offers from other clubs, and naming rights being sponsored. Lloris offer is true but there is another club interested it's now down to him to choose.

Oh I almost forgot, Madrid have given us a list of players to choose from in return for modric.

Also as I said earlier, Vert and Ade in by the weekend.

What a positive week. :)

Arnie

I don't know about that - I like Lewandowski a lot, but I also think his performances flatter to deceive because he has such a fantastic midfield in support. that's why I say, someone like Giroud/Podolski - if they can score 20 goals with Montpelier/Koln type service, they'd do equally well with Arsenal's midfield I think. anyways, like you said - he wouldn't come even if we wanted him.

You could argue he's a striker that needs delivery, rather than can function without it (like Podolski), but that same point could be levelled at RVP, which is why I linked the two. I personally hold Lewandowski in higher esteem than both Podolski and Giroud, and I'm a big Giroud fan. But again, I think such talk is moot because I'd be surprised if you could pry Lewandowski away from Dortmund. The Daily Fail are linking you though, so there's a crumb of hope.

I want to wake up to some further news about this phantom Callejon bid Marca are reporting. I'm conjuring images of texts between Rodgers and Mourinho agreeing a fee. With the final exchange looking like:

Brenny said:
well give u £30 mil for Jose and Nuri? tb x

Mou said:
only cus i like u brenny lad, u got a deal on this one, ill fax papers over in mornin. night x

Steve P out, GDS out, Jenas and Bentley got offers from other clubs, and naming rights being sponsored. Lloris offer is true but there is another club interested it's now down to him to choose.

Oh I almost forgot, Madrid have given us a list of players to choose from in return for modric.

Great week for you guys! Not a great week for us though :(

Zzzzzlatan is not that good Fry.

jtb

Banned

Lloris better choose Arsenal (if we're in for him. Which we should be!!!!!)...

still... damn, AVB can't possibly fail this time around. I wonder how many of these are his transfers and how many are Levy's (and whether there'll still be money for Moutinho after all these signings are made...) And do you really think Levy will match Adebayor's wages? I thought he was on 150k or something equally ludicrous, which would be around double what anyone else is on.

I hope you keep up the Koscielny bashing into the new season and I hope he goes back to being rubbish. It will be very entertaining.

I hope they come fourth, scoring about 35 goals over the course of the season and having Koscielny to thank for pretty much single-handedly keeping Newcastle out of the top 4

Kyoufu

GAF hates Zlatan.

Which means he's fucking good.

And much better than David Villa

GAF hates Walcott and tbh I don't think he's bad. Not the best but pretty much the most under-appreciated Arsenal player.

I hope they come fourth, scoring about 35 goals over the course of the season and having Koscielny to thank for pretty much single-handedly keeping Newcastle out of the top 4

We won't even get a sniff of the top 4 this season unfortunately :(

Arnie

Lloris offer is true but there is another club interested it's now down to him to choose.

If you're in for Lloris does that mean you're out for Butland? Would be interesting as hell to see both North London clubs fighting for Lloris.

I've just realised that Butland's name is close to Butt Land, immature as fuck but I'm laughing.

Arnie is now conjuring fake texts between managers for signings.

#desperation
Kyoufu's hash tagging on Neogaf.

Gimp.

Nobody hates Bendtner, they simply acknowledge he's shit.

Though he isn't all that bad.

How about Barton? ;)

I would love to see Zlatan at Arsenal though, someone with that ego and that destructive to his own teams offensive play would be hilarious, Wenger would end up throwing him away like the dirt he is, Pep style, when he starts crying about how he cuddles more with Debuchy than him. But it's never going to happen.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GAF hates Zlatan.

Which means he's fucking good.

And much better than David Villa

David Villa:
m6ArC.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom