• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

near

Gold Member
Lloris better choose Arsenal (if we're in for him. Which we should be!!!!!)...

still... damn, AVB can't possibly fail this time around. I wonder how many of these are his transfers and how many are Levy's (and whether there'll still be money for Moutinho after all these signings are made...) And do you really think Levy will match Adebayor's wages? I thought he was on 150k or something equally ludicrous, which would be around double what anyone else is on.

The rumours about AVBs budget aren't true. What AVB wants he shall have. AVB Is aware of all these guys and has even spoken to Modric. ;)

I dont know the formalities with Ades contract. But definitely look forward to the announcement by this weekend :p

Fry

I know you're trolling but I just can't understand how you can even say Ibra is better than Villa.

The very notion is just laughable.

Why is it laughable? Maybe they're on par with each other, maybe they aren't. But neither is much better than the other one.

Zlatan is amazing in my eyes. I'll never understand the hate he gets over here.

Fry

Don't even start with the fucking stats. David Villa plays for Spain, and he's part of the very best team of their whole history.

Zlatan plays for Sweden.

Why is it laughable? Maybe they're on par with each other, maybe they aren't. But neither is much better than the other one.

Every time I watch him, he either scores an amazing goal or just walk around on the pitch. He's a real bitch too.

Villa is the much better striker.

Clegg

It's got nothing to do with Zlatan being a poor player but everything to do with Villa being a player that has excelled at the highest level.

Something that Ibra hasn't.

If you're in for Lloris does that mean you're out for Butland? Would be interesting as hell to see both North London clubs fighting for Lloris.

I've just realised that Butland's name is close to Butt Land, immature as fuck but I'm laughing.

The Mail (yes I know) were saying he'd stay on loan at Birmingham this season if it were to happen.

I like Zlatan, think he is very very good but not great.

David Villa is however on another level and without a shadow of a doubt, in my eyes, the best striker of the last 5/6 years. I think I am right in saying he went 9/10 seasons in a row scoring 20+ (or maybe its 15+) goals in a row, a record unmatched by any other player in Europe. Not Henry, RVN, Drogba, Shevchenko, none of those greats managed a record like that.

And then you consider David Villa didn't play for a top club until what, 2 years ago? He is incredible and it's a damn shame he got injured and was unable to further cement his legend at the Euros. His international record is also amazing.

Salvadora

Just got word that the Oscar deal is further than they're saying in the media.

Steve P out, GDS out, Jenas and Bentley got offers from other clubs, and naming rights being sponsored. Lloris offer is true but there is another club interested it's now down to him to choose.

Oh I almost forgot, Madrid have given us a list of players to choose from in return for modric.

Also as I said earlier, Vert and Ade in by the weekend.

What a positive week. :)

Any details on M'Vila?

jtb

Banned
11 goals, 13 assists in a team dominated by RVP. I'd say that's decent. :(

hey, I've always thought he would've made a good striker partner for RVP. I mean, if fucking Jelavic can score loads of goals as one of the most one-dimensional strikers this side of Mario Gomez, then Walcott could easily complement any Arsenal striker (even, dare I say it, Chamakh himself) up front.

but that will never happen. he's dire on the wing; can't cross, can't dribble, can't shoot, but I guess he can run pretty fast.

David Villa is however on another level and without a shadow of a doubt, in my eyes, the best striker of the last 5/6 years. I think I am right in saying he went 9/10 seasons in a row scoring 20+ (or maybe its 15+) goals in a row, a record unmatched by any other player in Europe. Not Henry, RVN, Drogba, Shevchenko, none of those greats managed a record like that.

And then you consider David Villa didn't play for a top club until what, 2 years ago? He is incredible and it's a damn shame he got injured and was unable to further cement his legend at the Euros. His international record is also amazing.

This.

It's what I wanted to say, but couldn't :lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

David Villa:
m6ArC.png

Arnie

The Mail (yes I know) were saying he'd stay on loan at Birmingham this season if it were to happen.

I know near's suggesting AVB will get whatever he wants, but do you think Spurs would go for two pricey strikers in one window?

Just Spurs info.
Are you compiling all this information from forums and that ilk or are you suggesting this information's come from a personal source?

jtb

Banned
I'm not sure how anyone can say Villa's excelled at the highest level when he was only playing for a top level club for one and a half seasons of his entire career while Ibra, as much as I think the guy is overrated (like everyone else :lol), has won league title after league title at elite clubs. And Inter.

Ibra's main blemish is his dire Champions League record, but that's also partly just because he has a shitty February every single year. and he played under Mancini—so it's hard to tell which effect is greater: Mancini's penchant for failure in Europe or Ibra's dire winter months.

I know near's suggesting AVB will get whatever he wants, but do you think Spurs would go for two pricey strikers in one window?

Are you compiling all this information from forums and that ilk or are you suggesting this information's come from a personal source?

He got it from a forum. It's probably good info though.

Assuming Adebayor is one of them, then I guess so. Jermain Defoe is the only senior striker at the club right now.

Meier

Also he's 18 now, you must be reading some old sporks news. There was some speculation if Zamps had really bought him when he claimed it like two months ago, the agent said Dybala hadn't signed a contract but Zamps claimed he had already paid the money to the club. :lol

But he arrived in Palermo yesterday and has applied for an Italian citizenship (his Mother is apparently from Italy) so Palermo can sign more foreign players. Aw yeah.

His wiki entry says the following:

On the 29 April U.S. Città di Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini announced the signing of Dybala stating "We have got Paulo Dybala – the new Sergio Agüero". Later the same day however, Instituto's general secretary José Teaux, stated that the man who had completed the negotiations with Palermo, did not have the mandate to sell him.

I got my hopes up until this follow up post. :( Not familiar with him personally but anyone who is compared to Aguero makes my ears perk up.

I'm not sure how anyone can say Villa's excelled at the highest level when he was only playing for a top level club for one and a half seasons of his entire career while Ibra, as much as I think the guy is overrated (like everyone else :lol), has won league title after league title at elite clubs. And Inter.

Ibra's main blemish is his dire Champions League record, but that's also partly just because he has a shitty February every single year. and he played under Mancini—so it's hard to tell which effect is greater: Mancini's penchant for failure in Europe or Ibra's dire winter months.
But Villa performed better than most other strikers even without having the support of a top team. That itself is more impressive IMO.

Then you look at his record at the Euro 08 and WC 2010...that wasn't bad for the top level.

His wiki entry says the following:

I got my hopes up until this follow up post. :( Not familiar with him personally but anyone who is compared to Aguero makes my ears perk up.

It's not like he would have gotten much time for City anyway, you can buy him in a few years if he keeps developing... If PSG those assholes won't keep stealing every Palermo player. But yeah it's pretty much official, arrived in Italy and both the Instituto and Palermos sport director has said it's done.

Clegg

I'm not sure how anyone can say Villa's excelled at the highest level when he was only playing for a top level club for one and a half seasons of his entire career.
I'd consider this performing at the highest level.

UEFA Euro 2008 Golden Boot
UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament
2010 FIFA World Cup Silver Shoe
2010 FIFA World Cup Bronze Ball
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2010

K1LLER7

yeah, a good record. Though for a top striker 15/20 goals a season should be expected no?

Lampard, since 2003-04 season, has scored over 15 goals every season bar 2010-11 where he scored 13. For a midfilder his stats are brilliant

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
C'mon Yurt, your bias can be seen by miles. Even Ibra can see it through his big nose.

I'm actually being quite objective here.
iTIRfLV532Fa3.png

yeah, a good record. Though for a top striker 15/20 goals a season should be expected no?
t

In 14+ seasons, Ibra scored 20+ goals twice. And one of them was last season, with 11 penalties. (In the league)

Lampard, since 2003-04 season, has scored over 15 goals every season bar 2010-11 where he scored 13. For midfilder his stats are brilliant
Yurt posted his stats above, was 20+ 10 seasons in a row as well as a decent number of assists. It should be expected but just shows his consistency when you consider other strikers couldn't manage that level of continued performance. And 9 of these seasons he was playing for lesser teams. Hes shown since he was a teenager that he can score goals even in average teams, and more consistently than anybody else IMO.

I just think he is amazing and showed that when he drove Spain to Euro and WC glory. He had a great first season for Barca too.

Lampard's record is outstanding. Ridiculous numbers from midfield.

jtb

Banned
I'd consider this performing at the highest level.

UEFA Euro 2008 Golden Boot
UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament
2010 FIFA World Cup Silver Shoe
2010 FIFA World Cup Bronze Ball
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2010

I should've clarified that my point was that Ibra's been at the top level for far longer than Villa. and Villa had the best midfield in the fucking world, maybe of all time, in support at WC 2010 and, to a much lesser extent, Euro 2008. (A team so good they won Euro 2012 without him with relative ease) and let's not undersell that Valencia team that he played on - just because he didn't win any titles doesn't mean it wasn't damn good.

I'm not saying Villa's not world class. I'm just disagreeing with the idea that Ibra has not proved himself at the highest level while Villa has.

Must be nice to be a fan of a rich London club. :(

We're not rich, we're just very well run. But you don't win any trophies for that and people forget about it once the football starts.

And signing players doesn't count for anything. I remember this time last season everyone here was praising Liverpool for moving quickly in the market and bringing in Adam, Downing, Henderson, etc...

K1LLER7

Yurt posted his stats above, was 20+ 10 seasons in a row as well as a decent number of assists. It should be expected but just shows his consistency when you consider other strikers couldn't manage that level of continued performance. And 9 of these seasons he was playing for lesser teams. Hes shown since he was a teenager that he can score goals even in average teams, and more consistently than anybody else IMO.

I just think he is amazing and showed that when he drove Spain to Euro and WC glory. He had a great first season for Barca too.

Lampard's record is outstanding. Ridiculous numbers from midfield.
I like Villa and think he's one of the best out there, though i've always prefered Eto'o. Shame he turned us down when he moved to Barca :(

We've missed a player like Lampard in our midfield. Hopefully Kagawa can do a similar job and grab 10-15 goals a season.

jtb

Banned
Nesta signed with Montreal. He must just want to play because he didn't sign as a Designated Player so he has a salary limit.

he's NOT a designated player? that's really surprising, given the salary cap for MLS is really low compared to European leagues.

Arnie

I'm writing a Spurs piece and I'm genuinely toying with the idea of turning it into a 'they should've chose Rafa piece', but at this point I feel I really am becoming a parody of myself, and I'm on a steep slope to DC39 territory.

It's just we've had so many articles repeat the same basic principle that AVB is a gamble, and he'll have to change his approach to management after Chelsea, but it just feels so repetitive. I'm fairly confident I could do a piece that analyses AVB and his future challenges, and I believe I can write it in a way that's at least pleasant to read, but I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said.

jtb

Banned
Apparently it might be backloaded and after this year he'll be considered a DP.

ah that makes sense. still, never liked the idea of making defenders (especially aging ones) DPs. didn't work with Marquez... and center halves don't sell shirts or fill stadiums.

edit: part of me hopes that Adebayor moves to Tottenham on a free, just to fuck with City. can't see a particularly high fee being paid anyways, given the wage situation.

So, uhh apparently Guardiola is coming to Moscow tomorrow to talk with the Russian Football Union about being the national team coach.

Why would he ever even consider it, besides the bucket loads of money, I mean? I guess he wants to prove he can win with scrubs cause Kerzhakov is certainly no Messi.

Well most of what I've posted here could easily have been assumed and reported. But Ade in training by Monday should have been tight lipped. Enough said.

Well apologies if it's your own info. I assumed you got it from various sources because I saw pretty much the same list this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom