• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, whoops. Djok/Fed/Nadal > Tsonga > Murray in my opinion. Think Murray has a good record against Tsonga though.

Nah, Murray is better all things considered. Unless you have something against Murray or the British Press, or the scots, or something else, it is hard to argue that Tsonga is better than Murray objectively speaking.

GorillaJu

lol no. A lot of times you'll see Japan hating on Korea + other countries.

Nah, you're off here. I've lived in both South Korea and Japan for extended periods of time. There is no comparison between the two - while there is bitterness in Japan, it's 10 fold in South Korea.

I will never forget one class where I was teaching these really young kids (12-ish) English, and the materials we had been given to teach were all about nuclear war, tension between nations, etc. from the BBC website and such. I told my students "well, up till now, only the USA has ever used an atomic bomb," and they were shocked having never known that before. They asked where, and I said "Japan. Twice." and their little faces just lit up with glee, and this little girl had a huge smile on her face and asked me how many Japanese people died.

It was really stupid of me to introduce such a heavy subject like that... but my company was retarded for giving the teachers such ridiculous materials for 12 year olds.

Yeah... There's bitterness.

Yen

Nah, Murray is better all things considered. Unless you have something against Murray or the British Press, or the scots, or something else, it is hard to argue that Tsonga is better than Murray objectively speaking.

Aye, that's it. As a race, I hate the Scots.

I don't understand how people don't like Djokovic. He's awesome.

He sure is.
jb060D5DtM75oh.jpg

Kyoufu

Nah, you're off here. I've lived in both South Korea and Japan for extended periods of time. There is no comparison between the two - while there is bitterness in Japan, it's 10 fold in South Korea.

I will never forget one class where I was teaching these really young kids (12-ish) English, and the materials we had been given to teach were all about nuclear war, tension between nations, etc. from the BBC website and such. I told my students "well, up till now, only the USA has ever used an atomic bomb," and they were shocked having never known that before. They asked where, and I said "Japan. Twice." and their little faces just lit up with glee, and this little girl had a huge smile on her face and asked me how many Japanese people died.

It was really stupid of me to introduce such a heavy subject like that... but my company was retarded for giving the teachers such ridiculous materials for 12 year olds.

Yeah... There's bitterness.

Oh I see. That's a shame :(

How do Koreans treat foreigners from the US/UK?

Ashes

Banned
Aye, that's it. As a race, I hate the Scots.

Well if it's anything, it is pretty damn hard to upstage a semi-final that hosts Djokovic and Federer, but the possibility of a British finalist beckons. Murray, one of the best returners, has to knock out Tsonga who has been serving lights out thus far.

Arnie

Will be interesting to see if Moutinho chooses working with Villas-Boas over playing Champions League football. Would do wonders for AVB's image after the whole Chelsea fiasco, specifically the comments from Lukaku.

(...)

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience (from my interaction with Kor/Jap students studying abroad in US/Germany).
Most Koreans hate Japan(ese) and somehow conversations tend to always go in that general direction whenever they're drunk.
While Japanese just don't give a shit/act like children/are oblivious to history in general (and even to their own) for the most part, lol

Will be interesting to see if Moutinho chooses working with Villas-Boas over playing Champions League football. Would do wonders for AVB's image after the whole Chelsea fiasco, specifically the comments from Lukaku.
We have to submit a suitable bid first. That will be the hardest part.

And with Modric on the verge of RM...Spurs will go for him with intent.

Arnie

what a fucking JT

I liked the guy five minutes ago.

We have to submit a suitable bid first. That will be the hardest part.

And with Modric on the verge of RM...Spurs will go for him with intent.
I think both clubs will push to get him below his buy out clause, and I think they'll succeed. Moutinho isn't worth £30 million, in my opinion. Spurs have an extra advantage in that they can literally transfer the funds straight from the Modric transfer. United aren't at such a privileged position.

GorillaJu

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience (from my interaction with Kor/Jap students studying abroad in US/Germany).
Most Koreans hate Japan(ese) and somehow conversations tend to always go in that general direction whenever they're drunk.
While Japanese just don't give a shit/act like children/are oblivious to history in general (and even to their own) for the most part, lol

Yep! Pretty much how it is, in my experience.

Oh I see. That's a shame :(

How do Koreans treat foreigners from the US/UK?

You'll find white westerners are treated very well all around Asia. There are people in SK who aren't fond of our presence, though. They actually had a feature on a public channel that essentially accused all white people as amoral, STD-ridden violent thugs. In general, though, it's all good.

Black people have a much harder time, regardless of what country you're from. There are a lot of guys from Nigeria in both SK and Japan, and you frequently see people from African countries causing trouble in clubs or in popular nightlife areas. With almost 100% consistency, they will tell you they're American (which is obviously a complete lie) - but I can tell this since I'm a native English speaker and will know an American accent instantly. Korean/Japanese people don't know this. Thus, there are "NO NIGERIANS!!!" signs on a lot of clubs/bars in Korea, and it has spread out to be a pretty serious problem for blacks of any country. Went with some friends to one of the best booking clubs in Seoul (The Spot), and they were letting all of us in, except my black friend, because he was wearing jeans, which was against the dress code. Myself, another white guy, and a Korean guy were also wearing jeans.

ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif

If Madrid gets Modric, United should go for Sahin. Whether he likes it or not, he won't get as much time on the field as he would like. We can offer him 1st team football, prestige (not as much as Real Madrid of course), cl football, and a fight for the title.

Either him or Moutinho, but I'm a Sahin muppet and have been since last year.

NHale

Moutinho gave a couple of interviews last year praising AVB and on the same day AVB was announced as Tottenham head coach, he said this to a reporter:

"André Villas-Boas is one of the best coaches I ever worked with. I would be ecstatic to work with him tomorrow"

But the FC Porto player that like AVB the most is Falcao. He even said it last Summer that he wanted to go with him to Chelsea but Chelsea higher management never showed interest in him...

Arnie

Moutinho gave a couple of interviews last year praising AVB and on the same day AVB was announced as Tottenham head coach, he said this to a reporter:

"André Villas-Boas is one of the best coaches I ever worked with. I would be ecstatic to work with him tomorrow"

It does sound positive for Spurs, but let's be realistic, it's not as clear cut if United match Spurs offer as they can offer Champions League football.

Az

Dzeko just enrolled at the Sarajevo Univesity of Sport and Physical Education. Going for Sports Management.

/PR

Picture time!

0,,10265~11021295,00.jpg

Eric Lichaj, Gary Gardner, Ciaran Clark, Derrick Williams (recently promoted first-teamer), and Andreas Weimann.

That training top is hot. And I believe the bra thing is to measure fitness levels, heart rate, etc.

Pretty good source that I know of says United bid for Moutinho is 20m EUROS, not pounds. And that it is still at least £5m (so about 8m Euro) short of what Porto are after. Spurs were very confident they would be able to sign him and are a little bit edgy now that United have started to sniff about.

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out, but for sure United's interest seems real and genuine. The bid however, is a bit of a low baller.

Ashes

Banned
Pretty good source that I know of says United bid for Moutinho is 20m EUROS, not pounds. And that it is still at least £5m (so about 8m Euro) short of what Porto are after. Spurs were very confident they would be able to sign him and are a little bit edgy now that United have started to sniff about.

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out, but for sure United's interest seems real and genuine. The bid however, is a bit of a low baller.

A lot of the papers recently talked down Real's bid for Modric because Spurs wanted cash + Sahin, but Sahin wasn't playing ball.

And now the modric deal is going through, I'm wondered whether Real just lifted their bid by 8M, or Spurs got something else.

NHale

Over here in Portugal everyone is reporting the offer was €25M and Porto refused it. They are also saying Chelsea inquired about him. Price is going up by the minute and to think that before the Euros everyone was saying he was going to be sold for €15M/20M at best.

Over here in Portugal everyone is reporting the offer was €25M and Porto refused it. They are also saying Chelsea inquired about him.
Yeah it's just a rumour at the end of the day but the guy usually gets his information with MUFC right.

There's obv a few teams interested in him and he could be moving, we will know soon enough.

A lot of the papers recently talked down Real's bid for Modric because Spurs wanted cash + Sahin, but Sahin wasn't playing ball.

And now the modric deal is going through, I'm wondered whether Real just lifted their bid by 8M, or Spurs got something else.
Well the story in The Mirror says that Modric has agreed terms but the clubs haven't agreed yet...so I guess they're still negotiating that. But definitely Spurs are going to be at least £25m from Madrid for Modric which should be enough, or close to enough, for them to get Moutinho. They can afford it.

GorillaJu

That is really sad. I really wanted to go to Korea. Maybe as student, they will treat me differently.

Anyway, How do you feel about Prognebriak (or however, you spell it)?

Like I said, in general, you get treated really well.

If you were dismayed because racism does exist, then okay. But the chances of getting mistreated due to racism is really low. Conversely, people are glad to speak to/help foreigners in general, and being non-Korean means there will be at least some hot girls who are interested in you if for nothing else than that you're a commodity. I had a "girlfriend" who I went out with for a little while who didn't speak English (and I don't speak any Korean, except ordering food, giving taxi directions, etc.). Literally, communication was restricted to 1-word sentences, hand gestures, etc. but she was still glad to go clubbing together, and stay over at my place a few nights a week lol

It's extremely fun being a foreigner. if you go as a student, you'll have a very good time.

Looks like Park > QPR may actually has legs. A few of the more "trusted" ITKs saying he is in London today. If it's true they are biding £5m we have to take it really. Bit sad for Ji that he can't get himself a "better" club but QPR do play PL football so it could be worse at his age.

GorillaJu

If Park is playing for QPR does that mean all you United fans arent going to be cheering for them to get relegated this year?

... lame.

Kyoufu

I love the targets we're going after. And I also love that both players Lambert have signed so far have talked about Villa being a massive club. :3

Villa are a big club in terms of history and loyalty, so good on them.

Looks like Park > QPR may actually has legs. A few of the more "trusted" ITKs saying he is in London today. If it's true they are biding £5m we have to take it really. Bit sad for Ji that he can't get himself a "better" club but QPR do play PL football so it could be worse at his age.

Someone already put in QPR on his Wiki lol

If Park is playing for QPR does that mean all you United fans arent going to be cheering for them to get relegated this year?

... lame.
I didn't really want them to get relegated last year either tbh. But yeah, with Park and Fabio there it would be nice to see them do well. But then they do have several JT's too.

Early doors but who do we think is going to go down this year? Last year I picked all the promoted clubs and that was well off mark.

NHale

Well the story in The Mirror says that Modric has agreed terms but the clubs haven't agreed yet...so I guess they're still negotiating that. But definitely Spurs are going to be at least £25m from Madrid for Modric which should be enough, or close to enough, for them to get Moutinho. They can afford it.

So they would spend the big majority of Modric to get Moutinho? If I was a Spurs fan I would be pissed because Moutinho is good but he's nowhere as good as Modric.

GorillaJu

Last year I wanted QPR, Wolves and United to go down, so I got one of those at least.

This year I want QPR, Tottenham and United to go down. Hopefully at least two of those works out.

So they would spend the big majority of Modric to get Moutinho? If I was a Spurs fan I would be pissed because Moutinho is good but he's nowhere as good as Modric.
I'd guess so. I mean if we're talking Moutinho is roughly £25m and they get, say £35m for Modric, they would most probably see Moutinho as his replacement and spend most of that money to get him.

I agree I don't think he is in the same class as Modric but he is a good player and if the manager thinks he is central to their plans, good luck. Not sure who else they can sign who would be a much better choice.

Last year I wanted QPR, Wolves and United to go down, so I got one of those at least.

This year I want QPR, Tottenham and United to go down. Hopefully at least two of those works out.
Ahahaha.

Carbonox

:lol :lol :lol

Wayne Bridge has gone to Brighton on loan for next season. I'm completely baffled as to why he's still even a Man City player. He's terrible and even too awful for Brighton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom