• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterGK

Yeah it's not great given Torres did fairly well in the Euro's (shit he accidentally got the Golden Boot :lol) and the latter stages of the season. Still, he's got some ways to go before he can regarded as Chelsea's main man for their adventure. Chelsea should still get a new striker to help solidify things.

But come on. Do you remember who he scored against? A goal against Ireland and a goal against Italy when the job was already done. Don't forget they paid about 60 million euro's for Torres and he scored only like 7 goals last season none of which where the winning goal.

Carbonox

But come on. Do you remember who he scored against? A goal against Ireland and a goal against Italy when the job was already done. Don't forget they paid about 60 million euro's for Torres and he scored only like 7 goals last season none of which where the winning goal.

Despite scoring two against Ireland, his performance was still good. Can't take away how a player performs (especially one ridiculed), irrelevant of the opposition. Though it did make things easier for Spain as a whole. It was also something that I'm sure he needed. A game where he can stand out and contribute in a meaningful way. Even the littlest games can make a big impact on someone. Torres destroying Leicester in the cup last season set him up for a decent run of performances elsewhere IIRC.

Anyway, I think he will stand up far more next season as a result of his confidence no doubt taking a boost from this Summer. It's definitely something you wish for anyway. He'll probably work even harder knowing that Drogba isn't around to carry the team, regardless of what other striker/s are signed.

I'm a huge fan of Torres so I wish the best for him no matter what.

Fry

Torres looked sharp as fuck on his last appearances of the season. He should definitely be trusted on so he could build some confidence and maybe get back to his best. That won't happen at Chelsea though.

WriterGK

Despite scoring two against Ireland, his performance was still good. Can't take away how a player performs (especially one ridiculed), irrelevant of the opposition. Though it did make things easier for Spain as a whole. It was also something that I'm sure he needed. A game where he can stand out and contribute in a meaningful way. Even the littlest games can make a big impact on someone. Torres destroying Leicester in the cup last season set him up for a decent run of performances elsewhere IIRC.

Anyway, I think he will stand up far more next season as a result of his confidence no doubt taking a boost from this Summer. It's definitely something you wish for anyway. He'll probably work even harder knowing that Drogba isn't around to carry the team, regardless of what other striker/s are signed.

I'm a huge fan of Torres so I wish the best for him no matter what.

True about that destroying Leister City. But next season will be his second season so now he has do deliver. He has to make it this season or it's probably over. But I loved the Torres who played for Liverpool FC that was a brilliant footballer. He was really great playing for Liverpool. But its sad that Spain plays 4-6-0 when they have strikes like Torres, Fernando Llorente and Alvaro Negredo on the bench.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What do CFC do if he's found guilty? I suppose there will be a lengthy appeal process so oit probably won't matter for a while.

dc89

What do CFC do if he's found guilty? I suppose there will be a lengthy appeal process so oit probably won't matter for a while.

They can't do what Liverpool did with Suarez and come out and support him.

I honesty think they have to fine him and maybe even suspend him. He can't remain the captain. All the clubs sign up to Kick racism out, UEFA Respect and Chelsea even had Right 2 Play on their shirts last season. Now some of those aren't direct anti-racism campaigns but I think they pretty much cover it or can appear to do so from face value.

if he is found guilty, Chelsea will have a headache that's for sure.

GorillaJu

Chelsea should just say "we're dealing with it internally" and put up a middle finger to the high-horse riding masses who are just looking for someone to crucify.

Chelsea should just say "we're dealing with it internally" and put up a middle finger to the high-horse riding masses who are just looking for someone to crucify.

Exactly. Fuck the publics' faux moral outrage at mere racial abuse spat right in someone's face. Besides he was probably just 'aving a larf with Anton who's now gone and taken it too seriously.

GorillaJu

Exactly. Fuck the publics' faux moral outrage at mere racial abuse spat right in someone's face. Besides he was probably just 'aving a larf with Anton who's now gone and taken it too seriously.

It's not fake moral outrage, it's just stupid. You'd think we've come somewhere as a society and got over public humiliation exercises.

It's not fake moral outrage, it's just stupid. You'd think we've come somewhere as a society and got over public humiliation exercises.

Publically humiliating someone for publically racially abusing a fellow professional in the course of their employment hardly seems like a regressive societal trait. Not an ideal situation either but i find it curious that that's where you've directed your ire.

FootballFan

Welcome again to some of the new members. Seems more and more waves of Juniors coming in lately.

Seydo Keita announced he won't be playing for Barcelona next season.

:( bye Keita. Great squad player

He was a damn good signing and served the club well. Didn't complain and did his job perfectly. Goodluck to him in China. :D Will remember his goal against Bayern(for us) and his goal against Madrid(for Sevilla).

Wilbury, Jeff, eslk, Verano, Kermit...footy-gaf got major injury problems. Amirite doicare?

Didn't know about Verano :eek:

Just starting reading through now and see Freewheelin banned aswell wtf.

Arsene Wenger: I am a victim... I lost Nasri, Clichy & Fabregas at an age where they should've been playing their best football for Arsenal. I never left the club when I could have. I could have left 10 times to join another club but I didn’t.

He stole Cesc and deserved to "lose" him. Wenger is a cool and loyal guy, but he plays the victim game way too much.

Thank you FootballFan :) He's possibly my favorite Spanish player.

It's really hard for anyone to not like Iniesta, he is just too awesome. But for me from the Spanish players its hard to pick between Puyol or Xavi as favourite. Will suck when they retire.

Federer being scouted for United.

Barca already snatched him up.

I believe he supports FC Basel

Why is football not back today :( I am so bored.

Haha I know right, I'm rarely posting anymore because its mainly discussions on Mad Men, Drive soundtrack, a few other off topic things, ridiclous twitter rumours(LOL villa + 13 mil for RVP HAHAHA, found it funny considering that Villas left is better than RVPs). Forgot to mention John Terry.

Who are Barca most likely to sign if we sign a center forward, a defensive mid and a center back?

For forwards, anyone but that overrated RVP, simply not good enough, rather have Jeffren, Bojan or a 16 year old from our B team(exaggerating here...kinda).

Defensive mid? I think masch can still pull off that role or maybe Yaya is coming back? Doubt it though, City wouldnt sell arguably their most important player after Kompany(some would say equally important).

Centre back? No clue.. :( Javi Martinez maybe ?

Here is another fantastic one, this one is about Barcelona and the 08/09 team. That amazing team. While Barcelona are still great now, the 08/09 team was the perfect distillery of Class football and amazing results. Makes me giddy for the new season every time I watch it. I just wish I had savoured this season more than I did while it was on.

Glorious Barcelona

MEH(Messi, Eto'o, Henry) was fucking amazing. Truly great attacking play in 08/09. Killed every team off 4-0 before the first half finished. MVP(Messi Villa Pedro) is great too but not as lethal and amazing as MEH.

I seem to quote you a lot Messi :p Noticed Fady does too.

edit
Just realised after reading through my post, I must really hate rvp. :lol

You've got to be kidding me. It's okay because it's someone you don't like. Just admit it.

If you're speaking purely about the employment procedure in the aftermath then that will always be dealt with internally as a matter of course. Practical issue being that he's too well paid to be fired and i'd be willing to bet he wont be. If a well paid banker had done the same in public to a fellow professional then you can bet there'd be a public outcry and he'd be fired. You seem to think this isn't appropriate for footballers?

dc89

Crown's case is that words were "uttered in response to goading by Mr Ferdinand on the issue of his extra-marital affair, rather than by...way of exaggerated & instant querying of a perceived false allegation."

Dan Roan

The court is currently showing unbroadcast footage in the John Terry case, this may be key evidence-Nik

TNC

GorillaJu

If you're speaking purely about the employment procedure in the aftermath then that will always be dealt with internally as a matter of course. Practical issue being that he's too well paid to be fired. If a well paid banker had done the same in public to a fellow professional then you can bet there'd be a public outcry. You seem to think this isn't appropriate for footballers?

People in the public eye are always held to a higher standard, so no I don't think it would go without public out cry.

What I'm saying is that there is something particularly untoward about being an "audience" to a court case, and demanding some ridiculous punishment, when every one of us has said something we regret.

WriterGK

@FootballFan don't forget Barca also now has Alexis Sanchez. He still needs to adjust a bit but he is in potential a brilliant winger and striker. He is really good.

dc89

I'm gonna wait and see who we bring in this summer first. I would have a really hard time choosing who to get on the back right now anyway.

Welcome dude!

We're like rocking horse poo around here. And if you've been a City fan all your life your still a glory hunter - never forget that!

qindarka

Banned
Have City really managed to attract that many new fans ? I think that accusations of glory hunting to be silly but I don't think it even applies to City yet.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tottenham are looking to buy everyone. They're linked with Tiote now.

Tottenhamski

Tiote would be an utterly pointless signing. We already have Parker, Sandro and Livermore in that position.

Nani on the other hand...

Man down!

Bayern have made an official statement on their website about Pirlo. "We did not make an offer and we did not talk with Juventus "

Also some interesting stats from Opta!

-The two players to make the most interceptions in Serie A last season were Lucio (140) and Chiellini (124).
-Andre Schürrle created more chances from open play (40) in the 2011-12 Bundesliga than any other Bayer Leverkusen player.
Omg Wilbury and Freewheelin' banned! Brothers in arms!

Carbonox

The only team I see Tiote leaving us for is Chelsea, who could actually give him a starting role. Essien is out of sorts and Mikel is average. Romeu isn't a first-teamer week-in, week-out yet and will probably fuck off back to Barca at some point. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if it happened this Summer with Keita leaving.

FootballFan

@FootballFan don't forget Barca also now has Alexis Sanchez. He still needs to adjust a bit but he is in potential a brilliant winger and striker. He is really good.

Wow, I forgot about Sanchez as stupid as that may sound lol. SMH. He had a damn great first season and I am excited as hell to see more. Villa-Messi-Sanchez with Pedro, Tello/Cuenca, Afellay on the bench sounds good to me for forwards.

Thiago, Cesc, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Masch sounds a bit thin though. Definitely need reinforcements there imo(especially with cesc playing false9, masch in CB all the time and with Keita leaving).

Montoya and Adriano are good enough back-ups for RB/LB but lacking in the CB area with just Puyol(who is injured all the time), Pique(who is usually inconsistent without Puyol barking at him), Mascherano is fine.. so yeah at least 1 CB, maybe Fontas will step up but I don't think he is ready.

edit
Btw WriterGK who do you support ? Chelsea? Aston Villa?(just naming teams here lol)

dc89

Daily Mirror have a picture of Mancini and Platt on a VERY early morning walk in Austria.

I have a bad feeling about this. :(

Terry won't face a charge IMO. I think his defence will put enough doubt over the accusation.

That then makes it very very interesting for the FA. The Suarez case likely would have faced similar doubt if heard in a court, but of course it wasn't and he was charged. Now...can they charge JT in a similar way if a court declares him innocent?

The trial is on going so we'll see, just my feeling from what we are hearing this morning that he won't be found guilty.

Best nugget so far has to be Cole telling Ferdinand "you can't talk to JT like that!".

qindarka

Banned
Terry won't face a charge IMO. I think his defence will put enough doubt over the accusation.

That then makes it very very interesting for the FA. The Suarez case likely would have faced similar doubt if heard in a court, but of course it wasn't and he was charged. Now...can they charge JT in a similar way if a court declares him innocent?

The trial is on going so we'll see, just my feeling from what we are hearing this morning that he won't be found guilty.

Best nugget so far has to be Cole telling Ferdinand "you can't talk to JT like that!".

I'm sure the FA won't take any further action. They will know to defer to the courts which have more expertise and higher authority.

dc89

Anton Ferdinand is first witness and takes the stand

Prosecution asks Ferdinand how many times he & Terry called each other "a c***".
"I couldn't tell you" says Ferdinand.

BBC's Dan Roan.

qindarka

Banned
Courts won't do shit to England's superstar defender.

They can and they will if they indeed believe him to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You just want an excuse to call him a racist even if he is found innocent by questioning the credibility of the legal system.

Kyoufu

They can and they will if they indeed believe him to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt. You just want an excuse to call him a racist even if he is found innocent by questioning the credibility of the legal system.

I don't care if he's found guilty or not. There is footage on YOUTUBE.

Defend your star player moooooore yeeeeeeeeeah baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom