• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Well, it makes sense. With 10 titles for a star, only Bayern would have stars. And even with 5 for one star, only Gladbach and now BVB would have one.

Only Bundesliga championships (so after 1964) count. That takes us 3 titles away.
In the Dutch Eredivisie are three clubs playing with stars. And there is an amateur club with one star (they had a glorious past before the first world war). With ten championships a star is really something special imo.

I found out that Germany is the only country with this system.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
In the Dutch Eredivisie are three clubs playing with stars. And there is an amateur club with one star (they had a glorious past before the first world war). With ten championships a star is really something special imo.

Yes.

The 3->5 is better though.

I agree with you but it's all fucked up in Germany anyway. Championships before 1964 don't count, only Championships won in previous West Germany count. DFL is just doing what they want lol

Linius

I agree with you but it's all fucked up in Germany anyway. Championships before 1964 don't count, only Championships won in previous West Germany count. DFL is just doing what they want lol
But how can they say Dortmund's third star isn't far away. With only five championships counting at the moment they're at least five years away from a third star right?

fuenf

Well afaik the star system was only introduced around 2004/2005. Most of the stars had to be awarded retroactively and any system favoring Bayern Munich (10 titles or more) would've been a really tough sell.

But how can they say Dortmund's third star isn't far away. With only five championships counting at the moment they're at least five years away from a third star right?

I'm a depressed / pessimistic Bayern fan that's why i said it. ;)

Yes, we just got the second star. It will take some time for a third one.

If you mean fuenf's post, he was just making fun of Bayern being shit :D

Linius

I'm a depressed Bayern fan, that's why i said it. ;)

Of course, after two years of disappointment you guys tell weird stuff :p

Got to admit, I like Dortmund and Schalke most. Have some family in Rheda-Wiedenbrück and Gütersloh who support those clubs. My dad's from Oberhausen, that would make me half German. Whenever I visit at the weekends we watch football.

fuenf

Got to admit, I like Dortmund and Schalke most. Have some family in Rheda-Wiedenbrück and Gütersloh who support those clubs. My dad's from Oberhausen, that would make me half German. Whenever I visit at the weekends we watch football.

Dortmund AND Schalke? Wouldnt say that out loud ;) lol Gütersloh and Rheda, that's right next door (i'm from Bielefeld). But your fan allegiances actually make sense, in Ostwestfalen most of the people root for Dortmund and the Schalke owner lives in Rheda.

Linius

Dortmund AND Schalke? Wouldnt say that out loud ;) lol Gütersloh and Rheda, that's right next door (i'm from Bielefeld). But your fan allegiances actually make sense now, in Ostwestfalen most of the people root for Dortmund and the Schalke owner lives in Rheda.
Guess that post was a bit confusing, but of course my family is divided between these clubs. Being Dutch myself I really don't favour one over the other. I just don't root for Bayern, simple as that :p

And for a brief time I watched some games from HSV because Van der Vaart went there. Just to see how he would hold up over there. And he did a great job :D

dc89

Better picture of LFC 3rd kit. Still an odd design, but nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be:

6Vmwt.jpg

The design knocking about on here a few weeks back was shocking. This is still bad, but much better than that design led us to believe.

Just ball like Man City and put an extra fucken star there.

Who cares if you haven't earned shit.

The stars are for how many times we managed to get relegated from the top division. Never forget where you came from!

it's a joke

dc89

Dede, who is referred to as the new Thiago Silva, has emerged as a target for City.

Folha de S. Paulo (Brazilian newspaper) anticipate a £16M bid to lure him away in the next few weeks.

And according to Goal City have contacted Napoli and Athletico Madrid to enquire about Cavani and Falcao.

WHOOO!!! SILLY SEASON!

GorillaJu

Just coming back from the Kanagawa derby (Yokohama F Marinos vs Kawasaki Frontale) which ended 0-0. After all the progress J League has made, tonight was a sad reminder where it sits in terms of quality. Of course, it was a local derby so it's bound to be a bit cagey in a way, but in 90 minutes there were only maybe 4 shots on goal, and the best players on the pitch were all foreign.

Sigh. Ah well, it'll get better.

Linius

So, for my 500th Gaf post I give you guys a classic gif. And my prediction for tonight...

Spain 2 - 1 France

They will be playing extra time, it's gonna be a hell of a great game and I'm going to miss it.

XtTPj.gif

We're playing Chemnitzer FC in a pre-season friendly. I don't know why we're playing a 3rd division side but I fully expect them to beat us anyway.

:lol :lol

Our pre-season matches are always awful. We've been beating my some truly shit teams in recent years in pre-season :lol

GorillaJu

We're playing Chemnitzer FC in a pre-season friendly. I don't know why we're playing a 3rd division side but I fully expect them to beat us anyway.

:lol :lol

Such is the nature of pre-season games, really. The big team comes out to get some match fitness and get everyone a chance to play, and the little team takes it as an opportunity to put a big name notch on their belt. Only United seem to really run over their opposition in pre-season friendlies.

GorillaJu

I really like reading all the praise for Gerrard by the England players, like the recent quotes from Joe Hart and Scott Parker, but it feels way to permanent and depressing to think that this is Gerrard's last international tournament and maybe his last season as a player, depending on injuries.

Arnie

I've had a think, and a snickers, and I back the Baines rumours.

I reckon it's on.

That's my go to method of evaluation. Have a snickers post thought.

I actually like that third top, I really do. I think the shade of purple's gorgeous. I fear the orange shorts though. As a kit I've got a feeling it'll look hideous. As an isolated shirt though I think it looks excellent, genuinely.

Jesus, because of a sock clash I've got a feeling we'll be wearing that third strip at Old Trafford. Imagine those two kits clashing in a battle royale of pure wank design.

And it looks better than Man United's home kit!

Long live the 3rd kit!
But Man United's kit is multi-functional! Went picnicking but forgot a blanket? Use ManU's shirt. All out of dishcloths? Use ManU's shirt. Dressed up as a cowboy but you don't have a neckerchief? Use ManU's shirt.

Ashes

Banned
I really like reading all the praise for Gerrard by the England players, like the recent quotes from Joe Hart and Scott Parker, but it feels way to permanent and depressing to think that this is Gerrard's last international tournament and maybe his last season as a player, depending on injuries.

After he's won the Euros and crowned king of England, he'll come back to win the world cup, don't you worry.

Yeah, he's been good for English football, the past couple of months, and he was man of the match (for me) last match.

But Man United's kit is multi-functional! Went picnicking but forgot a blanket? Use ManU's shirt. All out of dishcloths? Use ManU's shirt. Dressed up as a cowboy but you don't have a neckerchief? Use ManU's shirt.

You're going to spend £50+ on a picnic blanket. Showing your wealth in such difficult economic times will only get grief down your way.

GorillaJu

Hah, wow, so to see Real Madrid vs. AC Milan in NYC, tickets range from $103 to $730. This is while a season ticket for Milan can be had for €160

Arnie

Hah, wow, so to see Real Madrid vs. AC Milan in NYC, tickets range from $103 to $730. This is while a season ticket for Milan can be had for €160

A season ticket for Milan is €160? Fuck me. Milan fans have no excuse not to be going for that price, yet the San Siro is half empty every time I've seen it. Might just move to Italy.

A season ticket for Milan is €160? Fuck me. Milan fans have no excuse not to be going for that price, yet the San Siro is half empty every time I've seen it. Might just move to Italy.

That's the cheapest one. If you buy it, you'll find yourself in the most distant sector of the stands, which is good only if you're into tactics and want to understand how every team plays. If you also want to be near the action, then you'll need to pay more, at least €200 (behind the goals) or €400. Or you can always pay €4000 and sit right next to Galiani and Berlusconi.

But really, right now in Italy €160 is quite a lot of money for the average supporter, plus you have to add some extra expenses (highway, parking lot, fuel and so on).

Bumhead

Banned

Gerrard has stepped up in this tournament for me, and if England do win it he'll have played a big part in that. Credit where it's due for him, absolutely.

But if we do win it, and if Gerrard is instrumental in that, then that'll be way over due. Gerrard is still a hangover from a team of players that should have achieved more and can be regarded as a failure in almost every respect at international level. He has contributed in the past to one of the most disappointing and underwhelming sides in international football over the last 10 years.

Obviously if he leads us to glory this summer (arf) then fair enough, but if England lose tomorrow I won't be disappointed about never seeing him wear an England shirt again. I hope we've already seen the last of Rio and Lampard. Hopefully this is Terry's bow as well, and I won't be sad to see Cole or Gerrard retire from the national team after this tournament whether they win it or not.

Onwards and upwards for England, now. Time for a fresh start whatever happens between now and the final.

elsk

Banned
Anyone from German-gaf could share or link to photos of the facilities/academies of the clubs? I'm writing and article and could use pictures of those kind of things. :) thanks

Arnie

Lampard's injury was the best thing that could have happened for England.

Semi-serious :p
I definitely see it as a positive. After the season he's had (well, the last 4 months) it would've been hard for Roy to just leave him on the bench; and I think Gerrard and Parker have worked magnificently as a midfield pairing in this current system.

Of course where I think Lampard would've helped is as a backup to rest Gerrard and Parker, although that's just a hard one to justify. I think if Lampard had been in the squad then either Gerrard of Lampard would've been rested for Ukraine, whereas I don't think Roy was bold enough to start Jones or Henderson in midfield.

Wilbur

Banned
Parker and Gerrard have been great, but Lampard and Barry would have been better back ups than we do now. I don't think Parker & Gerrard will last the distance, Parker looked spent in the last match.

Meier

But really, right now in Italy €160 is quite a lot of money for the average supporter, plus you have to add some extra expenses (highway, parking lot, fuel and so on).

Man, that's so cheap. A season ticket for an NFL game (8 games) averages over $70 a pop. I'm consistently amazed at how low ticket prices are quoted at in this thread. :O

Arnie

Parker and Gerrard have been great, but Lampard and Barry would have been better back ups than we do now. I don't think Parker & Gerrard will last the distance, Parker looked spent in the last match.

There's no way they're maintaining their form and fitness for the whole competition, and like you say there's already been signs of fatigue. That's why I was saying Hodgson should've rested one or both against Ukraine. We're at the stage now where resting them just isn't feasible, and so you're admitting that the other midfielders are there as purely injury cover, rather than credible alternatives.

I don't really feel Jones or Henderson would've been sorely outmatched against Sweden or Ukraine in all honesty. Especially with Parker or Gerrard alongside them. We've barely given the two a break either; Henderson's had a couple of 10 minute cameos when Parker's looked exceptionally spent.

K1LLER7

If Roy doesn't want to risk Henderson or Jones, maybe he could try Rooney in a midfield role. He did Play there for United early in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom