• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Just saw that! F*** YOU AND YOUR CHEAP ASS, BERLUSCONI! F*** YOU!

Hope it's not true. C'mon Berlusconi! WTH?! No Scudetto, no UCL, no Coppa...damn! :(

It makes sense, unfortunately (for Milan fans, mostly). Fininvest, the financial holding company controlled by Berlusconi's family, isn't faring very well these days and then there's the whole 'Lodo Mondadori' mess. It looks like Fininvest will have to pay a gigantic 560M€ fine. Berlusconi can't afford to sugar-daddy Milan anymore, so it's cut, cut, cut.

Linius

Get a desktop + monitor for 700 and a netbook for 200.

The Netbook was a godsend for classes, I could charge it at night and get 8 hours of battery life in class. I can't tell you how many champions league games I watched during accounting and capital markets. The laptop would do both things but not as well, and if it shits itself it's more expensive than replacing PC parts.

edit: this would be cheaper in pounds but not possible at 500 i'd reckon

Nah man, tablet > netbook any time. Laptop + tablet is the best combo imo.

Reading up on this Verratti to PSG stuff, and as much as PSG is probably my favourite French team with its strong Italian contingent, I don't think he's going there. In any case, he won't play as PSG is concerned about winning now rather than planning for the future. The best thing for everyone involved is if he were to stay at Pescara and I'm pretty sure that'll happen.

Have faith, fratelli. Marotta will deliver a co-ownership or at least a deal in principle. I think, alongside Udinese who we have a great relationship with, Pescara is a team to keep close ties with. I don't really like the parasitic relationship the Milans have with Genoa (i.e. one gets players, the other gets money at the expense of their team and fans), but a nice friendly relationship with Pescara and Udinese would be grand.

I'm also always surprised that Juventus and Inter have a pretty healthy relationship when it comes to the market. The gentleman's agreement with Lucio, for instance, is one solid example. I still hate Moratti, but who can blame me?

ATF487

Nah man, tablet > netbook any time. Laptop + tablet is the best combo imo.

Tablets are more fun and affordable now, but I still don't think they are really good for a student, which Clegg is if I remember correctly. Typing on them is a pain in the ass without a keyboard attachment and I'm not sure what kind of note taking software there is. Also, multitasking is key for alleviating boredom; on the netbook I could use Tomboy and have sopcast open

Garjon

Sorry to hear about your brother Phoenix, I hope they caught it early.

The Netbook was a godsend for classes, I could charge it at night and get 8 hours of battery life in class. I can't tell you how many champions league games I watched during accounting and capital markets. The laptop would do both things but not as well, and if it shits itself it's more expensive than replacing PC parts.

What spec?

EDIT: The Desktop?

flippedb

Banned
It makes sense, unfortunately (for Milan fans, mostly). Fininvest, the financial holding company controlled by Berlusconi's family, isn't faring very well these days and then there's the whole 'Lodo Mondadori' mess. It looks like Fininvest will have to pay a gigantic 560M€ fine. Berlusconi can't afford sugar-daddy Milan anymore, so it's cut, cut, cut.

He'll keep a team that won't win shit. He must feel super proud.

He should sell it. Arabs, Russians, doesn't matter, as long as they can afford a team that plays at the highest level.

Linius

Gotta play me games on steam, mate. Desktop + Tablet is the best combo

In that case, yeah. I only use Steam for cheap indie games that can be easily runned by my laptop. Take my laptop to college, tablet too. Never bored :p

Tablets are more fun and affordable now, but I still don't think they are really good for a student, which Clegg is if I remember correctly. Typing on them is a pain in the ass without a keyboard attachment and I'm not sure what kind of note taking software there is. Also, multitasking is key for alleviating boredom; on the netbook I could use Tomboy and have sopcast open

I bought a keyboard for my tablet which works perfectly fine. But I can't use sopcast at it of course.

Zabojnik

Reading up on this Verratti to PSG stuff, and as much as PSG is probably my favourite French team with its strong Italian contingent, I don't think he's going there. In any case, he won't play as PSG is concerned about winning now rather than planning for the future. The best thing for everyone involved is if he were to stay at Pescara and I'm pretty sure that'll happen.

Have faith, fratelli. Marotta will deliver a co-ownership or at least a deal in principle. I think, alongside Udinese who we have a great relationship with, Pescara is a team to keep close ties with. I don't really like the parasitic relationship the Milans have with Genoa (i.e. one gets players, the other gets money at the expense of their team and fans), but a nice friendly relationship with Pescara and Udinese would be grand.

Notice how everything's been quiet on the Verratti front in the last week or so? Marco to PSG is a done deal, fade. It will be probably announced next week.

Oh wow France just equalized in stoppage time. Dat Fergie time.

I hope they make it to the penalties. Dat drama.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've just been looking at an Acer 5750.

Does anyone know anything about them?

My friend had one. It works well, just don't try taking it apart and upgrading it yourself. They're not brilliantly put together. He did the above and almost broke it, stupid wazzock. My HP has (so far, touch wood etc) stood up to all kinds of abuse since I bought it for £490 in '09. It still runs on Vista, that shows how old it is! It runs fine and is still keeping up. I'm hoping it can last another year or so before I get a new machine.

Lenovo are damn good, usually pricey but well made and good machines. HP are great too. Asus do a good job, as do Acer though the Asus ones tend to be better put together. Sony's are overpriced for what they are IMO. (Sorry Hitcher). Macbooks last a long time, but are expensive as all hell and not everything works on Mac (though that's changing rapidly for the better I hear).

Feorax

Reports in Italy that the Borini deal is evvectively done. We're paying about £10 Million (13 million Euros) plus some unspecified bonus.

Any Cheslea fans who saw him in the reserves who can say if that's a good deal? Certainly looks a good player.

Clegg

My friend had one. It works well, just don't try taking it apart and upgrading it yourself. They're not brilliantly put together. He did the above and almost broke it, stupid wazzock. My HP has (so far, touch wood etc) stood up to all kinds of abuse since I bought it for £490 in '09. It still runs on Vista, that shows how old it is! It runs fine and is still keeping up. I'm hoping it can last another year or so before I get a new machine.

Lenovo are damn good, usually pricey but well made and good machines. HP are great too. Asus do a good job, as do Acer though the Asus ones tend to be better put together. Sony's are overpriced for what they are IMO. (Sorry Hitcher). Macbooks last a long time, but are expensive as all hell and not everything works on Mac (though that's changing rapidly for the better I hear).

Cheers lads.

I think I'll leave the desktop for another time though. I won't be trying to take it apart either. Like I said, I'm just looking for something that will work well for Uni and has decent performance.

Wilbur

Banned
Reports in Italy that the Borini deal is evvectively done. We're paying about £10 Million (13 million Euros) plus some unspecified bonus.

Any Cheslea fans who saw him in the reserves who can say if that's a good deal? Certainly looks a good player.

Looked very promising for Roma last year.

I remember when Darren Ferguson was fired for being a steaming pile of shit and Fergie retracted all his loans with immediate effect; yet another bulletproof, irrefutable example of Fergie being an utter JT.
I mentioned this at the time and called Fergie out for making this dick move. However, I am not sure most people would not doing something like this is they felt their son/family member was being treated unfairly. I don't even know why Darren Ferguson was sacked but if his father felt it was an unfair decision...I think cutting off ties with those people is more of a family loyalty based decision than anything.

I still think it was the wrong thing to do and he should have risen above it...but I can't say it's surprising and I wouldn't even say it's an unusual thing to do considering the circumstances.

If anything I think the worst decision made in that whole scenario was the decision to loan his players there in the first place, because that was almost certainly a family decision more than a footballing one...and loaning player should be a footballing decision alone.

Anyway, Fergie has many faults and I'm not one to shy away from them...but this really isn't a great example IMO.

Where did you hear that? I mean, yes he never gave an interview in German but Klopp said Kagawa's German is pretty good and he's just to shy to talk German on TV.
Ahh, my bad. It's been mentioned in the UK media that he didn't make an effort to learn much German. I guess I should have known better than to trust our media....just I heard his translator was pretty much with him everywhere/everyday, even on the subs bench.

So I just found out my brother in law has lung cancer and he doesn't even smoke and drinks very little.
Really sorry to hear that mate. You mentioned a while back that other things weren't going so great either so I hope it all works out for you and your family in the end.

Zabojnik

So, PSG next season ...

------------------ Sirigu ------------------

----- Maicon - T.Silva - Alex - Maxwell -----

----- T.Motta - Verratti :)D) - Sissoko -----

----------- Pastore - Lavezzi ---------------

-------------- Ibrahimovic ------------------

... something like this? Condolances to all french non-PSG fans.

bjaelke

Sounds like a great deal without knowing the bonus.

jtb

Banned
I can imagine Pastore's on the way out in a year or two. He was a purchase of intent, not of actual footballing purpose (thought I remembered reading that he had a poor season somewhere). That starting XI is actually pretty reminiscent of the early 2000's Milan though... just keep shoving creative midfielders into the side! Ancelotti might actually be enough to make PSG a force to be reckoned with in the Champions League.

Golden Goal.

Take 1 player off each team every x minutes until it's 1 vs 1 - first goal wins.

Coin toss.

Fixed, hopefully? And a coin toss would be ridiculous. People complain now about the way penalties aren't an indication of quality, but even if that was true, what would they say about a coin toss

Wow, holy shit at dat PSG move. Hopefully they play at Yankee Stadium, heh. Fucking crazy, but seeing a powerhouse French team in the CL is a tantalizing prospect deep in my heart.

Too bad for Sakho though, I wanted to see him become a monster CB like in my FM PSG save.

Ahh, my bad. It's been mentioned in the UK media that he didn't make an effort to learn much German. I guess I should have known better than to trust our media....just I heard his translator was pretty much with him everywhere/everyday, even on the subs bench.

Yeah, his translator was with the team pretty much the whole time. But I think that was because he is/was pretty popular and well liked in the whole team, not because Kagawa wasn't able to communicate otherwise.

Hixx

This could be interesting. SAFC have announced a partnership with StubHub which allows people to sell season ticket seats for one off occasions or tickets they've bought and cannot use for some reason in an 'official' way - for any price they wish.

Wonder how they're going to stop abuse for the big 4 games - Mags, Man United, Liverpool, boxing/new years day.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
SPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!
CONO!!!!!!!!

bjaelke

This could be interesting. SAFC have announced a partnership with StubHub which allows people to sell season ticket seats for one off occasions or tickets they've bought and cannot use for some reason in an 'official' way - for any price they wish.

Wonder how they're going to stop abuse for the big 4 games - Mags, Man United, Liverpool, boxing/new years day.

I was about to compare it to Barcelona's system when I saw this line:
no restrictions on the pricing
Going to be exploited. Really doubt it's a good idea.

ATF487

That's how it is here, except anyone who bought individual tickets can sell them too. Teams in good markets rarely have tickets at face value, teams in poor markets might have tickets under face value.

As it's only for season ticket holders it might be better since you wouldn't be able to get a ticket otherwise, but you'll probably pay a premium for it.

PaulLFC

Aaaaaaaaaaand we're back.

Apparently Tony Barrett has said we've agreed an £11million deal for Borini - can't see where though, it's not on his Twitter I don't think.

Also, Linda Pizzuti (John Henry's wife) retweeted an article which says:

They check out, chat for another minute or two and head out the door. Then, just as he’s leaving, he leans back into the shop not unlike John Wayne and says, “It looks like we got the striker from Roma.” We were stunned. John Henry just let us in on a bit of transfer news. I asked about the Dempsey rumors and he obliged me with an actual response instead of a stock line like “we’ll see what happens.” I won’t go into detail about what he said but it was a moment that made my day.

Hopefully we'll sign Borini, looks like we may be close to signing Dempsey too.

Hixx

I was about to compare it to Barcelona's system when I saw this line:

Going to be exploited. Really doubt it's a good idea.

Exploited? Like I said apart from maybe four games no-one will be selling tickets for above face value cos there's no point.

That's how it is here, except anyone who bought individual tickets can sell them too. Teams in good markets rarely have tickets at face value, teams in poor markets might have tickets under face value.

As it's only for season ticket holders it might be better since you wouldn't be able to get a ticket otherwise, but you'll probably pay a premium for it.

It's not just for season card holders, any valid ticket for a home game can be sold on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom