• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
what.

Fulham hope to use Liverpool's interest in Clint Dempsey to drive an audacious swap deal for Andy Carroll, which would feature a cash adjustment, as they also completed the free transfer of Hugo Rodallega from Wigan Athletic.

Dempsey, who scored 23 goals in all competitions last season, has 12 months to run on his Fulham contract and he is keen to move to a bigger club. Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, appears prepared to let Carroll go and the striker has also attracted the interest of West Ham United and Newcastle United, his former club.

Fulham would have to give Liverpool around £9m on top of Dempsey, but the deal for Rodallega, who has signed a three-year contract, has strengthened their options following the departures of Andy Johnson and Pavel Pogrebnyak.

who in their right mind would value Carroll 9m higher than Dempsey?!?

PaulLFC

what.

who in their right mind would value Carroll 9m higher than Dempsey?!?
Well we did buy him for £35 million, we're not going to sell him for drastically below that are we, we'd just keep hold of him or loan him out and see if his loan performances increase his value if Rodgers really did want to sell him.

I'm not saying we'll get £35 million if we sell him, we won't. But what's Dempsey valued at - £7-10 million? We'd want more than that if we sold Carroll I think.

PaulLFC

Is the Gaming forum not working for anyone else? The other 3 forums work fine but Gaming just doesn't load. I need to ask something in the Steam sale thread!

ATF487

It's not just for season card holders, any valid ticket for a home game can be sold on it.

Oh hmm, hopefully there aren't scalpers then, although from what you've said there probably isn't much opportunity for arbitrage beyond a few games.

Also would Dempsey even want to come to LFC? He wanted to play in the Champions League and I think it would be optimistic to predict a top 4 finish next season.

jtb

Banned
Serie A losing Sneijder, Ibra and Silva in the same week? Yikes.

Is Sneijder really moving to Anzhi? It seems like that would completely kill his Dutch National team career (especially given he's next in line for the captaincy?) and if doesn't, it should.

Fry

Is Sneijder really moving to Anzhi? It seems like that would completely kill his Dutch National team career (especially given he's next in line for the captaincy?) and if doesn't, it should.

It's the word on the streets thus far (twitter), but I can't see him staying at Inter for another season.

So, tell me how awesome is this guy?
heYoe.jpg

Yes, Kagawa was pretty cool, also because he was Japanese but this guy? Just look at him! He's from Australia, his parents are from Afghanistan and Nicaragua and he's got a red fucking afro. Kagawho?

gHFeA.jpg

new sogood.jpg

jtb

Banned
It's the word on the streets thus far (twitter), but I can't see him staying at Inter for another season.

true, staying at Inter would be career suicide of a similar magnitude. Shame the move to United didn't work out last season, they won't be needing him now with Kagawa!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so whats the point of building a man-city like team in a french league? I know they are also going to compete in the CL, but really Ligue 1 is gonna be as fun as watching paint dry.

jtb

Banned
so whats the point of building a man-city like team in a french league? I know they are also going to compete in the CL, but really Ligue 1 is gonna be as fun as watching paint dry.

it's an untapped market. costs too much to buy into the PL, Serie A, or La Liga... so why not try the smallest of the main five leagues. it's no doubt closely tied to Al Jazeera building up TV rights in leagues like Ligue 1... having those superstars gives them clout. and viewers.

tbh, it makes a hell of a lot more sense financially than the City project...

Zabojnik

Well, dc needs a break from getting constantly picked on. PSG is doing its best to get on everybody's bad side, all we need now is an authentic PSG fan and we can officially start the hatin'.
You're right, what would be the point of even that?

I'm not saying we'll get £35 million if we sell him, we won't. But what's Dempsey valued at - £7-10 million? We'd want more than that if we sold Carroll I think.

Various West Ham ITK's are claiming we're trying to loan him for the season with a view to buy at somewhere around £15m-£18m next summer, and that Carroll would prefer to come here over the other options available because of Nolan. I find it all very hard to believe.

In other news, twitter may be rife with bullshit rumours, but that seemingly doesn't stop "proper" journalists from making up their own, or printing any old shit that agents looking for their cut of a potential transfer fee want printed;

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...te-ready-to-quit-1140847#.T_9Dv3r9C5I.twitter

Joe

it's probably been mentioned a bunch but just in case it hasn't - regarding borini to liverpool, the liverpool and roma owners are close friends and share mutual business interests (boston red sox). i'd imagine that had some influence in the transfer.

So, tell me how awesome is this guy?
heYoe.jpg

Yes, Kagawa was pretty cool, also because he was Japanese but this guy? Just look at him! He's from Australia, his parents are from Afghanistan and Nicaragua and he's got a red fucking afro. Kagawho?

gHFeA.jpg

new sogood.jpg
Saw Amini play a few times this season but he looked like he was a bit hampered by injury this year. Quality talent though but give him a bit of time to settle before expecting the world.

Zabojnik

it's probably been mentioned a bunch but just in case it hasn't - regarding borini to liverpool, the liverpool and roma owners are close friends and share mutual business interests (boston red sox). i'd imagine that had some influence in the transfer.

E' tutto un magna magna.

Is V worth watching guys? I'm coming to the end of Prison Break, which remains to me hugely enjoyable schlock.

Just started Arrested Development, 2 episodes in, pretty good so far.

Wait, Mou was interviewed during JT's trial?
He gave a statement in support of Terry.

Verdict tmrw. I think JT will be found innocent. They need evidence beyond reasonable doubt and if I'm being fully honest there are elements of JT's defence which sound more than plausible to me. My inkling is that he did say those words and not in a sarcastic manner...but I can see his argument and it's not totally insane...or maybe I'm just insane.

jtb

Banned
Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi said Giroud was signed as the replacement for RVP. They didn't want to be backed into a corner.

I read that too; it's what I expected. Hopefully it means the club won't buy some "world class" (read: overpriced) like for like replacement and will focus on the many areas of the team that need to be strengthened. hell, I think, if spent properly, this squad could easily be stronger than the one we had last season—with or without RVP—if the money is spent properly.

Arnie

Really sad to hear about Fletcher, I've got buckets of respect for him after the way he behaved following his disgraceful sending off in the semi-final of the Champions League. He had every right to throw a wobbler, do a Barton as it were, but he just walked off and took it. Hope he manages to cope with his illness to the point where he's able to find a job and quality of life he's happy with.

Glad to hear about Borini, it's been said time and time again but it seems this lad's a real player, and more importantly a really good professional. He's sort of like a young Kuyt in that respect: a versatile attacker, relentless worker, someone who's never going to be the star player technically, but someone who pops up to score goals when you need them.

Regarding Carroll, I'd take £9 million and Dempsey, reinvest that money wisely into Sturridge and we've got a great set of attackers, with Suarez at the head, beasting.

Was nice to read Rodgers comments on Henderson too, I said that educating Henderson in the Rodgers way would do him, and us, a great deal of good. It seems Rodgers thinks the same.

Oh and it's hilarious to hear Jose Enrique say the word 'titles', he pronounces it 'teetles', and he used the word to describe the Carling Cup.

Fletcher to replace Lawrenson and becomes BBC's Gary Neville?

Is V a waste of time because its rubbish, or because it was cancelled and left unconcluded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom