• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

I read that too; it's what I expected. Hopefully it means the club won't buy some "world class" (read: overpriced) like for like replacement and will focus on the many areas of the team that need to be strengthened. hell, I think, if spent properly, this squad could easily be stronger than the one we had last season—with or without RVP—if the money is spent properly.

At least the club realizes it has to act preemptively when situations such as these arise. The Cesc/Nasri situation should have been dealt with properly.

Heh the Portuguese lot at United do the same Arnie. Ronaldo would always say "I'm glad to win this teetle" ahaha.

Btw can somebody direct me to some kind of YouTube video of Borini which shows his best bits or just general play. I can't remember what this guy even looks like nvm how he plays.

Arnie

Wait, have I missed something about Fletcher?

Read on the Mirror that Ferguson admitted today his career was all but over. Sad, I really rate him.

Also, put me in the camp who likes Spurs new kit. But their training gear is sensual, wish ours was half as tasty. Probably for the best, I'm one of those nobheads who buys training vests and sweat pants when they get an influx of cash, and I just got my house deposit back from last year.

Heh the Portuguese lot at United do the same Arnie. Ronaldo would always say "I'm glad to win this teetle" ahaha.

Btw can somebody direct me to some kind of YouTube video of Borini which shows his best bits or just general play. I can't remember what this guy even looks like nvm how he plays.
Here you go, his goals last season.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi said Giroud was signed as the replacement for RVP. They didn't want to be backed into a corner.
Yeah I read that earlier and thought as much. I don't think the loss of RVP will hurt us that much honestly. I'm more concerned about the amount we get for him so we can reinvest into the squad. Hopefully we can use whatever transfer fee we get for RVP plus the money we were going to give to him to put into the squad.

I really want us to tie down Alex Song as well. Only 2 years to go for him...

jtb

Banned
At least the club realizes it has to act preemptively when situations such as these arise. The Cesc/Nasri situation should have been dealt with properly.

I'm still can't believe that we missed out on Mata because the board didn't want to pay an extra million. The Cesc/Nasri situations were basically handled in the complete worst way possible and we still don't have replacements for either.

Wessiej

Friend of mine is a PSG fan for decades, and he is so glad some rich Arabian guy bought the club. He never witnessed a championship, so he's going mental for next season hehe.

People that are becoming fan of PSG from now are worthless pieces of JT's.

Arnie

Oh no, Fletch :( was our Lucas in a way, added so much energy to our midfield.
I agree, his illness is a huge part of your midfield collapse in recent seasons. You guys really need Cleverley fit. He's a snow-globe of energy and precision passing.

Really excited to see how Giroud does, and I think he'll benefit in a way from Van Persie's departure, as long as the pressure doesn't cripple him. Granted, I'm one of those whose seen him on Youtube, but he looks a beast.

Salvadora

I'm still can't believe that we missed out on Mata because the board didn't want to pay an extra million. The Cesc/Nasri situations were basically handled in the complete worst way possible and we still don't have replacements for either.

Chelsea offered Montpellier far more money than we did yet Giroud chose us. Wenger probably assured him about his place in the team and yeah, The French connection helped. The Mata situation still makes me upset as Wenger is obviously quite persuasive to potential players yet the money always seems to be the issue. I mean 1 million? I don't know what was going through the heads of the people upstairs.

Wilbur

Banned
I agree, his illness is a huge part of your midfield collapse in recent seasons. You guys really need Cleverley fit. He's a snow-globe of energy and precision passing.

Really excited to see how Giroud does, and I think he'll benefit in a way from Van Persie's departure, as long as the pressure doesn't cripple him. Granted, I'm one of those whose seen him on Youtube, but he looks a beast.

Yeah, hoping Cleverley can do the business. As much as we love to cream over him, he is potentially class.

Seriously though, Fletch. Massive loss; him, Carrick and Clev would be a fantastically weighted middle 3.

Giroud will be class. If Wenger deviates from two wide strikers and plays him and Podolski up front they won't miss RvP.

Scum

So, I hear Thiago Silva and Ibra are off to PSG, but I could have sworn Silva signed a new contract with Milan though...

jtb

Banned
Chelsea offered Montpellier far more money than we did yet Giroud chose us. Wenger probably assured him about his place in the team and yeah, The French connection helped. The Mata situation still makes me upset as Wenger is obviously quite persuasive to potential players yet the money always seems to be the issue. I mean 1 million? I don't know what was going through the heads of the people upstairs.

yeah, I have complete confidence in Giroud leading the front line and scoring goals and he clearly has the right attitude to succeed. RVP's overrated anyways (no, this is not the bitter part of me talking... okay maybe a little bit) and, from what I can tell, Giroud won't spend half the season on the injury table. Provided he's fit, he will score 20+ goals in the league next season.

So, I hear Thiago Silva and Ibra are off to PSG, but I could have sworn Silva signed a new contract with Milan though...

same. but Berlusconi confirmed it so it's definitely happening. contract was probably just to drive the price up (like they did with Kaka shortly after they turned down the City bid, only to sell him to Real Madrid that summer)

Arnie

yeah, I have complete confidence in Giroud leading the front line and scoring goals and he clearly has the right attitude to succeed. RVP's overrated anyways (no, this is not the bitter part of me talking... okay maybe a little bit) and, from what I can tell, Giroud won't spend half the season on the injury table. Provided he's fit, he will score 20+ goals in the league next season.
Don't jinx it. He'll tear his hamstring in August and fail to find his feet when he returns, amidst a goal drought at Arsenal. And Van Persie will be the league's top scorer at City.

I'm getting a bit of a hard on for Dempsey, kind of want us to take that cash plus player offer from Fulham. £10 million, plus the greatest American footballer of all time for Andy Carroll is quite a good deal, considering. Think Carroll would flourish more at West Ham though, and I think he'd be more accepting of a move there to team up with Nolan.

Salvadora

Its unfortunate we are nowhere near done with business this summer. RVP leaving is sad but at least we know where we stand. I'd rather he didn't stay in the PL, regardless of getting a few extra millions for it. It sends out the wrong message.

I'm getting a bit of a hard on for Dempsey, kind of want us to take that cash plus player offer from Fulham. £10 million, plus the greatest American footballer of all time for Andy Carroll is quite a good deal, considering. Think Carroll would flourish more at West Ham though, and I think he'd be more accepting of a move there to team up with Nolan.
He may be 29, but I wouldn't mind having him at Arsenal.

same. but Berlusconi confirmed it so it's definitely happening. contract was probably just to drive the price up (like they did with Kaka shortly after they turned down the City bid, only to sell him to Real Madrid that summer)

I hope you're right, I'm starting to get nervous thinking we might get left behind, probably the typical Arsenal pessimism I go through every pre season though.

A little carrot put out there could ease the nerves a bit though.

Salvadora

I hope you're right, I'm starting to get nervous thinking we might get left behind, probably the typical Arsenal pessimism I go through every pre season though.

A little carrot put out there could ease the nerves a bit though.

That pessimism is there for a reason. We are used to getting our hopes dashed, one way or another.

I think he'd be great for either club. If Arsenal went for him I'm sure he'd prefer that move though, he's getting on and this could be his last chance to play in the Champions League.
I hear Wenger is quite an admirer & it would help with the American market. Its also a plus that he's a great player.

Arnie

I hear Wenger is quite an admirer & it would help with the American market. Its also a plus that he's a great player.

That's why I hope this Fulham deal is legitimate (which I think it is), so we can push through with things before Wenger gets his oar in. If this video doesn't give you a Dempsey hard on then nothing will.

Would probably draw some great crowds on our US tour if we had Dempsey with us.

Neogaf
BELIEVE
It's all you can do with Aquilani. The guy's an enigma.

Scum

Berlusconi... ¬_¬

Fry

I think it'll be much easier this time since his playing style fits exactly into Rodgers plans, plus there's another italian coming, so he might warm up to the idea of staying.

Salvadora

That's why I hope this Fulham deal is legitimate (which I think it is), so we can push through with things before Wenger gets his oar in. If this video doesn't give you a Dempsey hard on then nothing will.

Would probably draw some great crowds on our US tour if we had Dempsey with us.

I think Wenger was interested last summer as well. Unfortunately you could probably get him if you moved quickly enough. Isn't it Aquilani's wife that's the problem?

Arnie

I think it'll be much easier this time since his playing style fits exactly into Rodgers plans, plus there's another italian coming, so he might warm up to the idea of staying.
I hope so. Having Borini around should benefit him a lot, especially as they've both got a link to Roma. It's at least another person on Merseyside who shares the same cultural upbringing, someone you can always speak to in training, or have a meal with, etc. Should also benefit him that Rodgers speaks Italian, he's already mentioned having a couple of long chats with him.
I think Wenger was interested last summer as well. Unfortunately you could probably get him if you moved quickly enough. Isn't it Aquilani's wife that's the problem?
Family issues were cited when he left the club for Milan last summer, although his will to fight for his place, plus the fact that he's back in England now following his recent marriage suggests he's resolved them. I hope he tries to get them to settle here.

Timurid

PSG is going to be so easy to play in the next fm. Also, fuck them for giving milan 60m. So now they have more money to buy our best player Ogbonna.

jtb

Banned
I think he'd be great for either club. If Arsenal went for him I'm sure he'd prefer that move though, he's getting on and this could be his last chance to play in the Champions League.

In other news:

I'm your biggest fan I'll follow you until you love me, Aqua, Aquilani. He comes from ancient Rome, he plays well awaaay and at home.

I wouldn't underestimate the Red Sox connection. the commercial potential of being heavily marketed in the states is something that the Liverpool owners can and probably will stress. and I think he'd be a pretty poor fit for our style of play. Last thing we need is a guy who shoots on sight and breaks down our infamous pretty passing (pretty passing that, last I checked, Brendan Rogers was a pretty big fan of). it's the only thing we have left!! :(

having said that, I stand by my stance that Dempsey is overrated. He and RVP are a bit alike though—for whatever reason, they've been ignored for a while and then when they've had a great two seasons, everyone praises them to the high heavens to compensate for the fact that they were overlooked beforehand. the reality lies somewhere in the middle.
and more importantly, they're bound to return to the mean anyways...
Let Dempsey go to Liverpool so they can have new fodder to throw under the bus about underachieving when they were never good enough in the first place.

jtb

Banned
Its a shame Thiago isn't coming the to Premier league even if it was to Man City.

bigger shame Wenger didn't offer Ibra a contract on the spot back in the day!!!

edit: speaking of which, I also have high hopes for this Mbaye Niang kid. he's definitely a FM legend.

Salvadora

bigger shame Wenger didn't offer Ibra a contract on the spot back in the day!!!

edit: speaking of which, I also have high hopes for this Mbaye Niang kid. he's definitely a FM legend.

We were close to signing Ronaldo as well
Arsenal nearly signed him first. Five years ago Ronaldo met Arsène Wenger at the Club’s Hertfordshire training ground, had a tour around the facilities and, just before he left, was presented with an Arsenal shirt with his own name on the back.

The Frenchman even impressed Ronaldo’s mother to such as extent that she recognised him later on television.

But the deal fell through because a price could not be agreed with Sporting Lisbon.

“I had Ronald at the training ground,” said Wenger at Friday’s press conference. “I showed him around and I gave him a shirt. It had got his name on the back.

“But in the end it was a question of the amount of transfer fee between the two clubs. Of course, he has proved to be a bargain [at £12.25 million]. But the price that we discussed was in fact much lower, it was divided by three.

“Also Manchester United had a partnership agreement with Lisbon and Carlos Queiroz [the Portuguese coach] knew him well.

“Since then they have signed Anderson and Nani from Portugal because of Queiroz. It’s like I can sign players from France because I know them well.”
Its weird thinking back to players that could have been. Didn't United come close to Ronaldinho, For example?

Giroud will score 20+ goals in the PL next season.

This is crazy statement to make. Not saying he isn't capable of it but that would be an absolutely immense debut season. Really would not expect that from him at all. If he gets 15 in the league and 20 in all competitions he will have done well.

Some players seem to get to 30+ goals easily these days but it's no easy feat. Getting to 25 is a very good return itself.

We were close to signing Ronaldo as well

Its weird thinking back to players that could have been. Didn't United come close to Ronaldinho, For example?
Yes Kenyon totally messed it up. Started being the smug little shit he is and tried to knock a couple of million off the price. At the time Dinho had already said he was going to play for United. Barca came in and paid up and he went there instead.

Not sure if we would have got Ronaldo in the end so maybe it worked out well for us but we really should have made the Ronaldinho deal happen, but of course, Peter Kenyon.

ATF487

I wouldn't underestimate the Red Sox connection. the commercial potential of being heavily marketed in the states is something that the Liverpool owners can and probably will stress. and I think he'd be a pretty poor fit for our style of play. Last thing we need is a guy who shoots on sight and breaks down our infamous pretty passing (pretty passing that, last I checked, Brendan Rogers was a pretty big fan of). it's the only thing we have left!! :(

having said that, I stand by my stance that Dempsey is overrated. He and RVP are a bit alike though—for whatever reason, they've been ignored for a while and then when they've had a great two seasons, everyone praises them to the high heavens to compensate for the fact that they were overlooked beforehand. the reality lies somewhere in the middle.
and more importantly, they're bound to return to the mean anyways...
Let Dempsey go to Liverpool so they can have new fodder to throw under the bus about underachieving when they were never good enough in the first place.

Dempsey's been the best player on that Fulham team for a few years now, it's only the past year or two where he's been a prolific goalscorer. RVP's problems in the past were usually injury related, too, not with his general play.

Agree with the marketing opportunity though, many of the US fans I know have this intense loyalty to USMNT players that I have never really understood. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a huge increase in US LFC fans, especially in my area since Dempsey started with the Revolution.

kharma45

Yes Kenyon totally messed it up. Started being the smug little shit he is and tried to knock a couple of million off the price. At the time Dinho had already said he was going to play for United. Barca came in and paid up and he went there instead.

Not sure if we would have got Ronaldo in the end so maybe it worked out well for us but we really should have made the Ronaldinho deal happen, but of course, Peter Kenyon.

He did manage to bag Chelsea Essien, Cech and Robben to Chelsea when he moved there, players that were United targets when he was with us and were (at least Robben anyway) certain to sign for us.

Antti

It's time to play a game, Football-GAF! Recognize the player beside me.

ibeMOE5IOq7y6U.jpg

GorillaJu

Liverpool FC agree £11million fee with Roma for Fabio Borini

by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are set to complete the signing of striker Fabio Borini after agreeing an £11million deal with Roma.

The Reds have been given the green light to discuss personal terms with the 21-year-old Italy international who will then undergo a medical.

The transfer should be completed in the next 48 hours and Borini will become manager Brendan Rodgers' first signing.

An agreement between the clubs was reached following lengthy negotiations after Borini made it clear he wanted to be reunited with the Northern Irishman.

Rodgers knows exactly what he's getting having worked with the highly-rated youngster at Chelsea and then signed him on loan at Swansea City towards the end of the 2010/11 season.

Borini joined Parma after his Chelsea contract expired last summer but was swiftly loaned out to Roma.

He made a big impression at the Stadio Olimpico, scoring 10 goals in 26 games in all competitions, and earned a place in the Italy squad at Euro 2012.

Roma bought half of his rights back in January when they entered into a co-ownership agreement with Parma and then last month they bought the other 50%, taking their overall spending on him to around £7million.

Rodgers made boosting his firepower the priority having seen Dirk Kuyt move to Fenerbahce and Luis Suarez called up by Uruguay for the Olympics.

With Craig Bellamy and Andy Carroll facing uncertain futures, Borini is unlikely to be the only striker signed by the Reds during the transfer window.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...e-with-roma-for-fabio-borini-100252-31385026/

Sweet. This signing excites me.

The bit about Borini wanting to be reunited with Rodgers is encouraging. Rodgers may not be a household name now, but I have a feeling he'll be a big draw for players we're looking to sign in the coming years.

jtb

Banned
Giroud will score 20+ goals in the PL next season.

This is crazy statement to make. Not saying he isn't capable of it but that would be an absolutely immense debut season. Really would not expect that from him at all. If he gets 15 in the league and 20 in all competitions he will have done well.

Some players seem to get to 30+ goals easily these days but it's no easy feat. Getting to 25 is a very good return itself.

I don't expect it from him... but I'm confident he will reach it nonetheless. Frankly I don't care how many goals he scores if we're winning games. Obviously there are tons of variables that you can't account for, but I've liked what I've seen of him so far and Arsenal is one of the most striker-friendly/dependent (take your pick) teams in the PL. This is not Chelsea where strikers are forced to create chances for themselves; this team was built around feeding RVP (a syndrome very similar to Henry's last season). I'm not saying that you could just stick Heskey up there and he'd hit 20 a season, but... Giroud's no Heskey.

Worst case scenario: Adebayor. Still hit 20 goals. Best case scenario: Drogba (the comparison's been made! though I'm a bit skeptical myself) Very best case scenario: RVP's departure gives the whole team a bit of extra freedom and we go back to playing attractive football that actually wins like its 07-08 all over again.
Worst worst case scenario: Chamakh

Kyoufu

All you other clubs making million dollar signings yet we haven't signed a soul.

Not a single signing for our first team. This sucks.

Crazy that PSG were willing and dumb enough to pay that much for Zlatan. Thiago Silva on the other hand will probably be worth it.

Hopefully this won't mean Milan will now go spending like crazy.

jtb

Banned
Crazy that PSG were willing and dumb enough to pay that much for Zlatan. Thiago Silva on the other hand will probably be worth it.

Hopefully this won't mean Milan will now go spending like crazy.

doubt it. Sounds like Berlusconi is trying to cash out on Milan; he hardly spent big after Kaka's sale. I'd imagine Tevez is on his way to Milan though, assuming the wages can be kept at a reasonable level. or maybe another suitor for RVP? we all know Galliani likes to cheap out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom