• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Hah, someone already edited Christian Eriksen's wiki sidebar to show his club as Man U. Dude is really good, hope it doesn't come to fruition. :(

The law has been passed, have to accept it.

I still don't believe Terry's defence...I think he called Anton Ferdinand a "fucking black cunt" and I don't think he was being sarcastic. But if it can't be proved then it can't be proved and that's just how the law works.

The FA have a massive problem now, after the Suarez case, what do they do?

Slizz

Y8vyZ.jpg

Can't believe he's still tappin Irina Shayk... Thought he'd be onto another supermodel by now.

Kyoufu

I still don't believe Terry's defence...I think he called Anton Ferdinand a "fucking black cunt" and I don't think he was being sarcastic. But if it can't be proved then it can't be proved and that's just how the law works.

They should ban him for 8 games. He said what he said and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

and OJ is innocent too right
I don't see the point in these conversations. People had their minds made up. So no mater what the verdict, those who don't like him will say he's guilty. However, the court found that he wasn't so that's that.

People need to let their personal feelings go. Not liking the verdict doesn't invalidate it.

There are those who go through the system and get away with crimes, there are those who go through and get convicted but who are guilty of nothing. It happens. Whether this was the former only John Terry knows. All I do know is a better educated and informed man than myself or anybody else on this forum made the decision, and he says not guilty.

I don't know how to feel, after some extended youtube research, about Powell slotting into the first team squad/being talked about like a bench prospect right from the off.

They scouted him for a hell of a lot of games, I guess. And I'm confident it's not going to be a Bébé drowning-in-the-deep-end humiliation. But if you're "looking to develop into a CM", you've got to play there. And the middle of the park for Manchester United is not a place to learn your trade: you need to pretty much know what you're doing.

You could have said the same thing about Smalling, although he had a good run in Fulham between a non-league team and United. Powell will play mostly CC and Reserves this season, maybe a loan in the next, and feature regularly when he's ready. Yeah, he'll be around the first team, but those saying he'll slot in immediately are getting carried away by the hype. Nobody, aside from Giggs and Ronaldo, has made the jump to first team regular at 18 or 19 in the Fergie era, and they were wingers. It's certainly not going to happen overnight.

They do what they're supposed to. Let him off with some sort of 'disrepute' fine or something. After all, he's John Terry, Captain, Leader etc. etc. Only dirty foreigners can actually be racists didn't you know? /FAspokesman

If they don't ban the fuck out of him on the 'balance of probabilities' I'm going to fucking rage. Seriously, I will be mad as hell. Our FA have a chance to prove they're not as corrupt and shite as FIFA here, bet they don't take it.

Kyoufu

I don't see the point in these conversations. People had their minds made up. So no mater what the verdict, those who don't like him will say he's guilty. However, the court found that he wasn't so that's that.

People need to let their personal feelings go. Not liking the verdict doesn't invalidate it.

There are those who go through the system and get away with crimes, there are those who go through and get convicted but who are guilty of nothing. It happens. Whether this was the former only John Terry knows. All I do know is a better educated and informed man than myself or anybody else on this forum made the decision, and he says not guilty.

I don't know if you're trolling or just thick in general, but you could always go to a black person and say what John Terry said to Anton Ferdinand.

Then come back and tell me the results.

They do what they're supposed to. Let him off with some sort of 'disrepute' fine or something. After all, he's John Terry, Captain, Leader etc. etc. Only dirty foreigners can actually be racists didn't you know? /FAspokesman

If they don't ban the fuck out of him on the 'balance of probabilities' I'm going to fucking rage. Seriously, I will be mad as hell. Our FA have a chance to prove they're not as corrupt and shite as FIFA here, bet they don't take it.

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

I don't know if you're trolling or just thick in general, but you could always go to a black person and say what John Terry said to Anton Ferdinand.

:lol :lol :lol

I just don't buy the whole "I was repeating what he said". I struggle to believe that.

But anyway, it's done and as Kyle says it's the way the law works and you just have to accept it.

I still think JT said it and meant it as an insult and I still think he's an utter scumbag. This doesn't change it for me...but you still have to accept that a court found him not guilty.

I really don't see how the FA can not ban him though, after Suarez. I mean...that would be despicable.

I don't know about everyone else but if someone accused me of calling them a 'fucking black c***' when I repeated them back to confirm that's what they thought I'd said my face would be all scrunched up with a look of utter confusion. I would have probably said 'fucking black c***? Yeah right' or something.

I wouldn't have spit them back at them angrily and finished with 'fucking dickhead'.

But whatever. Sarcasm, how does it work?

Edit: Well actually, I wouldn't repeat them back anyway, I probably would have said 'What did you say?'

Wilbur

Banned

To be honest, it's got nothing to do with personal feelings. In my eyes there's a video that shows Terry has racially abused someone, and that a sarcastic tone isn't evident in that video.

The unseen footage may be wildly different but until that surfaces I've got every right to go on what I've got.

I can't remember how the Gerrard assault case went exactly a few years ago, but I remember thinking he got off very lightly as evidence pointed to the opposite decision (correct me if I'm wrong). I feel the same with this going on what has been provided to me.

Y8vyZ.jpg

Can't believe he's still tappin Irina Shayk... Thought he'd be onto another supermodel by now.

I don't know which I want to bang more.

In a case such as this, its the lawyers who determine the victory, not the actual alleged crime. The better lawyers won, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the correct verdict.

Mastadon

Banned
To be honest, it's got nothing to do with personal feelings. In my eyes there's a video that shows Terry has racially abused someone, and that a sarcastic tone isn't evident in that video.

The unseen footage may be wildly different but until that surfaces I've got every right to go on what I've got.

I can't remember how the Gerrard assault case went exactly a few years ago, but I remember thinking he got off very lightly as evidence pointed to the opposite decision (correct me if I'm wrong). I feel the same with this going on what has been provided to me.

Gerrard wouldn't do such a terrible thing :)

Wilbur

Banned
Why this one in particular?

Because this is the one I'm discussing.

Anyway, law's said otherwise but like Viva and Will have said, I really don't see how or why you would repeat the words like that. Eh. Done, let's just hope he fucks up spectacularly on the field again like he did 20 times last year and we can all laugh.

Gerrard wouldn't do such a terrible thing :)

But do you know who he is? He's Stevie G.

Oh, we're back to Suarez/Evra again.

Wonderful.

It's relevant if the FA refuse to charge Terry. Since Terry doesn't deny using racist language and the FA ruled that context is irrelevant, his ban must be at least eight games. If the FA don't charge him and ban him, then Liverpool and Suarez should sue the FA MASSIVELY for damages etc.

I mean, there's video evidence here for god's sake.

ibdiWTpxonwHfM.gif

The Gerrard one was a weird one. He clearly assaulted that guy with zero provocation. The only defense for that in my mind would be to bring examples of other people who've gotten away without jail time for a first offense. That case was a lot more straight forward though, there was clear surveillance showing actions rather than words, and the witness statements were not such a contradictory clusterfuck

GorillaJu

It's relevant if the FA refuse to charge Terry. Since Terry doesn't deny using racist language and the FA ruled that context is irrelevant, his ban must be at least eight games. If the FA don't charge him and ban him, then Liverpool and Suarez should sue the FA MASSIVELY for damages etc.

Hey you got internets? We still need to hang out. I have lots of free time August because of summer vacation.

Eh... I could reply to you, the biggest nonsense poster in footyGAF, but I think Arnie has it covered.

Did you mean this to sound so ironic?

Fair enough, but when a judge comes out and decides he doesn't feel the evidence is strong enough, and that there's too many missing pieces, it just comes across as sour grapes.

I don't know which I want to bang more.

In a case such as this, its the lawyers who determine the victory, not the actual alleged crime. The better lawyers won, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the correct verdict.
Doesn't make it incorrect.

TrueBlue

On the verdict: if there's not enough conclusive evidence against the defendant then there shouldn't be a conviction.

The whole trial has been a farce anyway. Best everyone moves on.

totally agree.

Chance of happening.

0%

Wilbur

Banned
Tactical beard for chins.

He's just trying to hide his swag lest someone tries to buy him. This is his year.

Maybe.

Holy fuck did the FA say context is irrelevant? Hahahahaha

And yeah I remember Gerrard lamping that bloke and thinking that's straight assault, but as you say first time offenders.

Just want to make clear though. There's no actual 'proof' against Terry. The video shows him saying something like 'Black C**t'. The right call was made in terms of the law. The issue I have is the likelihood that the FA will use this as a cop out to not charge and ban him. If that happens, then as I said, LFC and Suarez should sue the FA.

Odd, check your PM.

Feorax

The FA probably won't be able to do anything to him now. They can't be seen to undermine the courts.

Not since they have a seperate standard of judgement.

As ludicrous as it may seem, I can see why it could be said that the magistrate could not say beyond all reasonable doubt how JT meant those words.

On the balance of probabilities, however, there is no way you would say those 3 words being use like that would not be using insulting language of a racial nature, or however they worded it with Suarez.

FA are in deep shit if they sit back and do nothing.

I don't even know what there is to argue about. From the sparse evidence availabale to the public, Terry probably was being racially abusive. Probably isn't good enough in a court of law. Probably is good enough for the FA, so Terry should be banned. That's it. Surely?

GorillaJu

He's just trying to hide his swag lest someone tries to buy him. This is his year.

Maybe.

Holy fuck did the FA say context is irrelevant? Hahahahaha

And yeah I remember Gerrard lamping that bloke and thinking that's straight assault, but as you say first time offenders.

Not in so many words. Liverpool tried to defend Suarez by claiming context - that Evra had allegedly referred to him as "South American" in a similarly derogatory fashion, and also that the word Suarez used wasn't meant in offense/out of anger.

Their conclusion wasn't that "context is irrelevant," but many fans feel that's the message they're sending.

It would be rather hypocritical to send a completely different message now with John Terry.

I don't personally have any particular expectations for (what I believe would be) a just conclusion, but on the other hand, I also think all the damage that can be done is now done. Suarez has hopefully learned from his experience. Will JT ever learn? Well, he's not a Liverpool player so truth be told I couldn't give a shit if I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom