• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

http://www.level3football.com/royhendo/article/dont_worry_karim_its_groundhog_day

Saw this article on twitter about Mourinho's man-management of troubled or misfiring players. Maybe Rodgers learnt from the best...

Feorax

http://www.level3football.com/royhendo/article/dont_worry_karim_its_groundhog_day

Saw this article on twitter about Mourinho's man-management of troubled or misfiring players. Maybe Rodgers learnt from the best...

I heard about this on TAW, and this made a lot of sense.

Even more so when you consider Rodgers saying in the press conference he would seriously have to seriously consider a loan move for Carroll, and then rejecting Newcastles bid mere hours after it was made.

I can see the justification for wanting rid of Carroll, but something about this just doesn't add up.

Arnie

I heard about this on TAW, and this made a lot of sense.

Even more so when you consider Rodgers saying in the lress conference he would seriously have to seriously consider a loan move for Carroll, and then rejecting Newcastles bid mere hours after it was made.

I can see the justification for wanting rid of Carroll, but something about this just doesn't add up.

I listened to that too, think Dark Machine did too considering his post about the situation just hours after the episode went up.

West Ham will stay up, Sam's got enough about him to manage that.

I'm loathe to make predictions yet without the transfer window being over, but I'll probably chip in mid August before the start of the season when there's a full 20 days left.
Allerdyce is a JT, but he's a good football manager, especially at that level. His work at Bolton was commendable, and Blackburn should never have sacked him. He needs clubs that are mouldable to his 'ideals' though, as we saw at Newcastle.

Feorax

Arnie, you said we were valuing Carroll at £20 million? Well that would be the price we couldn't afford to turn down.

Extremely unlikely anyone will come near that though, which suggests again that Rodgers is using the old Mourinho method.

Interested to see Newcastle's improved bid though. Suspect it will be another loan.

Arnie

Arnie, you said we were valuing Carroll at £20 million? Well that would be the price we couldn't afford to turn down.

Extremely unlikely anyone will come near that though, which suggests again that Rodgers is using the old Mourinho method.

Interested to see Newcastle's improved bid though. Suspect it will be another loan.
Either way, if Rodger's is doing a Mourinho then it'll be interesting to watch, and I think Carroll's the sort of player to respond well to it. If anyone offers over £15 million though I'd be more than inclined to sell, personally. I think we could get Sturridge and more for that money, who're far more useful to us than a performing Carroll.

This line sums it up perfectly, and makes me laugh too, I love Mourinho:

Mou said:
“Sometimes you need to go hunting and you don’t have your dog, but you do have a cat,” Mr. Mourinho said, turning zoological about Mr. Benzema’s role. “So you take your cat hunting. It’s better than hunting alone.”
Mancini saying he wants to keep both Tevez & Dzeko. Can't see RVP happening if he keeps both.
I think United's interest is genuine still, and I wouldn't exclude Juventus either. Would be interesting if he stayed at Arsenal though, how would the fans react, how would the board react.

jtb

Banned
Mancini saying he wants to keep both Tevez & Dzeko. Can't see RVP happening if he keeps both.

think (read: hope) he's just saying that to drive the price up. No need to invite other clubs to buy his 25m strikers for 5m like they had to do for Adebayor. Shame it'll probably force the RVP saga out until the beginning of the season though...

Lightning

Banned
Tbh it's not beyond the realms of possibility that RVP will extend although after his site message I don't want us to extend his contract.

We should see the punk to Juventus and put the money into other younger players. Hopefully the m'vila deal goes through.

Zabojnik

60547818.jpg

"Look, I'm not saying we're after Tevez and / or Dzeko, but we totally are."

jtb

Banned
They will forgive him in a heartbeat just like Rooney.

eh, I hope he leaves because if he stays we'll have too many strikers... we need a Fabregas/Nasri replacement, and the easiest way to buy one of those is to sell a player who doesn't want to be here anymore. that or Walcott. I'd be overjoyed if a Liverpool or Chelsea (PSG plz?????) felt like spending 15m on him.

as for Tevez, he's clearly a JT of the highest order, but it's not like Mancini handled the situation particularly well either. Time for both of them to go... Tevez first, then Mancini at the end of the season.

Salvadora

Whats this about us making a 9m bid for Paulinho? Anyone know if he's any good? Articles up behind a paywall on the time unfortunately.

jtb

Banned
Whats this about us making a 9m bid for Paulinho? Anyone know if he's any good? Articles up behind a paywall on the time unfortunately.

never heard of him, saw this on his wiki

José Paulo Bezerra Maciel Júnior, commonly known as Paulinho, (born 25 July 1988 in São Paulo) is a Brazilian football player, currently playing as a midfielder for Corinthians. He is well known to possess extreme levels of mental toughness.

fucking :lol

Heard that Mikey Owen was at Villa Park today.

Any of Villa-GAF know anything about this?

I still think Owen can score goals, proven finisher. His fitness however is a big problem.

Lightning

Banned
They will forgive him in a heartbeat just like Rooney.
Would we have a choice? Keeping him is not the best course of action for our club though. Just because RVP scores some goals doesn't turn him into the club chairman.

I still love him as a player but keeping him will cost us 20mil+ transfer fee, 5mil+ sign on bonus, 140k+ wages so he will be an expensive investment to keep. No good warming the treatment bench if he doesnt want to be here and he clearly doesn't. Everything about this saga points to him wanting out, I doubt this is a money making tactic as it was with Rooney.

Arnie

Fuck, I can see it, Carroll stays, Rodgers' actions were all a ploy to spur him on, he goes on to prove his point and score 20+ goals in the league and we get a beast YouTube montage to Katy Perry's Firework.

there's a spark in you

Kyoufu

Fuck, I can see it, Carroll stays, Rodgers' actions were all a ploy to spur him on, he goes on to prove his point and score 20+ goals in the league and we get a beast YouTube montage to Katy Perry's Firework.

there's a spark in you

Doesn't he spend most of his time in Newcastle anyway? Come back home, Andy.

K1LLER7

there's a spark in you
Or he does a Downing and all we get is a blank screen with the sound of the wind. This Sounds much more enjoyable :p

Wes

venison crêpe
Heard that Mikey Owen was at Villa Park today.

Any of Villa-GAF know anything about this?

I still think Owen can score goals, proven finisher. His fitness however is a big problem.

Only thing I've heard is more talk of Vlaar and Danny Simpson wanting to come to us rather than Reading.

Arnie

Or he does a Downing and all we get is a blank screen with the sound of the wind. This Sounds much more enjoyable :p

Could be called: Andy Carroll 2011/13 - All Skills [HD]

I'm being overly harsh. I jizzed my pants after both his goals against Everton last season, as well as his header assist against United.

Juve are top of my list, RVP tells Arsenal

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...top-of-my-list-rvp-tells-arsenal-7946794.html

The negotiations over Robin van Persie's future have been complicated by the Dutch striker having indicated to Arsenal that his first choice of the three clubs pursuing him is Juventus.

Van Persie has not ruled out the possibility of going to one of the two Manchester clubs, and his first choice from those two would be United, but if possible he would prefer to go to the current Italian champions. Of the three, Juventus are the least financially powerful but in an ideal world the player would rather leave the Premier League than play for one of Arsenal's rivals.

I'd be happy with this. Just get it done soon.

Clegg

Out of all the new signings in the PL, who are you most interested in seeing?

Kagawa is the obvious choice for me. And then there is Hazard at Chelsea. I'm curious to see if he can translate his Ligue 1 form to the Premier League and manage to live up to the hype. And I want to see if Marko Marin can rediscover some form at Chelsea.

Salvadora

Juventus is the best possible outcome of a transfer. Just get it done quickly so we don't have to go through a prolonged transfer saga again.

Clegg

Banned paper have a Cavani to Chelsea story as their backpage headline for tomorrow.

Says Chelsea are desperate to sign him and will offer £150k a week in wages.

Arnie

Juventus have the upper hand here, massively. Van Persie wants to go, Arsenal don't want to sell to anyone that could be deemed a competitor, thus Juventus can bid low.

jtb

Banned
Banned paper have a Cavani to Chelsea story as their backpage headline for tomorrow.

Says Chelsea are desperate to sign him and will offer £150k a week in wages.

poor Torres. I don't get why even bothers to stay at Chelsea (besides his ridiculous wages, I guess)... he's already won everything there is to win, half of it by accident!

K1LLER7

Could be called: Andy Carroll 2011/13 - All Skills [HD]

I'm being overly harsh. I jizzed my pants after both his goals against Everton last season, as well as his header assist against United.
I'm kinda hoping Liverpool can find their form and looking forward to see how Rodgers/B-Rod will change the teams playing style. If he uses a similar style to that of the one he used at Swansea it'll be great for the fans and the league. If he gets the team pressing into the opponents which Liverpool have been pretty good at in the past imo, and add to taht a couple of signings, the team could be back fighting for a CL place.

#Koptimism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom