• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

SAF can't possibly think that we can go into the new season with Evra and 2 academy players as LB cover. Whats the point in sending Fabio on loan then?

Might just be putting a bit of wind up Everton.

I've seen Blackett a bit and he's looked alright. Can't say I recall Brady.

jtb

Banned
The Spanish Supercup games were really good last season, probably the best Clasicos in a while, minus the obligatory brawl at the end of the second one.

Messi

The Spanish Supercup games were really good last season, probably the best Clasicos in a while, minus the obligatory brawl at the end of the second one.

Yep, got pretty nice seats too. So should be alot of fun. Could have gone front row again but decided it was best to go with the first tier so I can see all the action/be in the middle of the supporters.

Clegg

Brady is a left winger. Converting him into a LB wouldnt be outside the realms of possibility. But it would take more than a decent pre season to turn him into one. We need an experienced LB to compete with Evra.

FootballGaf, make me feel better about turning down the chance to get an Civil Engineering apprenticeship because I don't give the slightest shit about Engineering.

My parents won't be happy unless I can think of a damn good reason to spurn the oppurtunity to go to the recruitment day on Friday. Apparently having no interest in it is not reason enough

Plus, if I'd gone I would have denied somebody who does give a shit the chance to go, as there are limited places at the recruitment day

The only thing to offer is the appearance of passion about some other career.

I just want a job where you can go straight in at the bottom and have real prospects of moving up if you perform. Easier said than done :p

So then, what are the best agencies in Britain for somebody with A-Levels, no degree, and 4 years of unskilled work experience?

Gambit

Sigh, a friend invited me to the Supercup game Bayern vs Dortmund and now I checked the date and can't go! My American boss will still be in Germany and really doesn't understand my interest in 'soccer'.

Anyway, the hype for the new season has caught up with me. I wish we had had the new players for May 19th already. Shaq is great, Weiser better than I anticipated, good ol' Pizarro should never have left, and then there's the new Mario. I wonder if he and Gomez will ever play a game together, so the tabloid can make the obvious Super Mario Bros joke.

Best of all, Sammer seems to have rejuvenated Jupp.

Jezabel

FootballGaf, make me feel better about turning down the chance to get an Civil Engineering apprenticeship because I don't give the slightest shit about Engineering.

My parents won't be happy unless I can think of a damn good reason to spurn the oppurtunity to go to the recruitment day on Friday. Apparently having no interest in it is not reason enough

Plus, if I'd gone I would have denied somebody who does give a shit the chance to go, as there are limited places at the recruitment day

why feel bad about turning down something that you don't want to do? you only get one life, make sure you enjoy what you do, your parents should be supportive of that

why feel bad about turning down something that you don't want to do? you only get one life, make sure you enjoy what you do, your parents should be supportive of that

Those would be my thoughts as well if I had a clue what I want to do. If tuition fees weren't ridiculous now, I'd go to Uni in a shot. I bottled it first time round, and I'm afraid I'll spend my life regretting it if I don't sort yself out

Feorax

Last thing you want to do is jump into a career you have no interest in. Take it from someone who made that mistake, there is nothing worse.

Take the time to figure out what interests you and what you would like to do, and work towards making it happen. I genuinely believe a career should have passion behind it, and not just be a way to pay the bills, or a decision someone else can make on your behalf.

PaulLFC

According to Duncan Jenkins:

- We're trying to get a deal sorted for Joe Allen
- We've not made a bid for Dempsey
- On Carroll, we apparently want to get rid of him, he wants to stay but if he had to leave would want to go to Newcastle
- Baines to United is definitely happening

Had a dream last night I was perma banned from GAF. Woke up in a cold sweat.

How good is this Oscar guy Chelsea are supposedly signing then?

Jezabel

Those would be my thoughts as well if I had a clue what I want to do. If tuition fees weren't ridiculous now, I'd go to Uni in a shot. I bottled it first time round, and I'm afraid I'll spend my life regretting it if I don't sort yself out

mate im 21 and bottled uni twice, i know what your going through. just working and saving for europe now

Carbonox

All these players Chelsea are going for are attacking players. :lol Oscar, Hazard and Marin. Plus they want Hulk. Wonder when they will stop, plus they need new defenders/defensive players.

Got a lot of love for Gael Bigirimana right now. Definitely a Tiote II in the making. Similar style of play and with a year of Tiote education under his belt, could be a massive player for us. Definitely the long term replacement for Tiote I think.

Amalfitano didn't look great yesterday. Cannot play on the wing for shit. Not fast enough and doesn't want to even attempt to take anyone on. Plus he put in some Bebe-esque crosses in. Would be better in the middle.

Other youngsters who look more assured and will get a lot of playing time are Vuckic, Tavernier (second choice RB IMO, behind Debuchy) and Sammy Ameobi.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Hilarious interview by Rino! Read it all it's worth it!

I'll collect the interesting quotes off twitter and post them here:

Gattuso: "Nesta and I left Milan because Allegri didn't want us to stay."

"I’ve seen very few players train like Ibra. The problem with Ibra is that he demands others to do the same things that he’s doing. But he doesn’t understand that everybody doesn’t speak the same language."

"Milan without Ibra and Thiago Silva? If I were Allegri, then I wouldn't be able to sleep."

"Milan’s motto for next season could be to fight and imitate Juve last year. It was a team built around 2 champions Buffon & Pirlo and then you had the others who fought so hard that they vomitted. You can see that Conte is behind them."

"When we played vs. Juve, everybody was talking about Edgar Davids, but it was Conte who kept on running and who never gave up. Conte was like a cat stuck to your balls, as they say where I’m from".

"I’ve reset everything here at Sion. For 13 years I played a different sport because when you’re at Milan, you’re on another planet"

"Here at Sion I carry my own bag. I clean my own boots otherwise they remain dirty and I change the studs on my boots by myself".

One of my teammates asked me. Have you seen the changing rooms at Sion’s stadium? But I wasn’t impressed because I know that it’s not all like Milan".

The things I miss are the vitamins and the tea. Here at Sion you have to think more about the little things, just like a bricklayer when he goes to work".

When I was at Milanello, I got angry with the storemen if something was missing from my bag. Here, I can only get angry at myself"

And if you wrap your ankle with athletic tape here at Sion, then they look at you in a weird way because it costs them money".

"I miss Milan. I would be a hypocrite if I didn’t admit it. But I’m happy with the choice that I made because here at Sion you really need to fight and work hard. It’s a challenge that will be useful to me in the future, because I believe that it’s like that in 80% of the clubs."

No, I don’t regret leaving Milan. I made the decision to leave Milan one month before I told Galliani. But I hadn’t told my teammates anything. Only my wife knew"

"It was time to leave Milan. I no longer wanted to feel like a burden".

"I had many other offers, also from Italian clubs, but I refused them because I really didn't feel like joining them. Last season was incredible. It was a success just to be able to return to training again & play 4-5 matches in the last 2 months"

"When someone like the coach makes you understand that he rather prefers you working as a director, or that he wants you to be someone who helps out the others in the changing room, then you know what? Then I will leave. I’ll shake your hand without feeling any resentment and without holding a grudge. I’m a very proud person"

"Before, people were complaining about us senators not leaving Milan and now people complain because we have left..."

"I have an exceptional relationship with Galliani, the Milan board wanted to keep me, but when the coach doesn't agree with that, then it becomes difficult".

Carbonox

That's actually quite insightful from Gattuso. Sounds like playing for Sion might actually improve him as a person too and not to take everything for granted.

choodi

Banned
I just want a job where you can go straight in at the bottom and have real prospects of moving up if you perform. Easier said than done :p

So then, what are the best agencies in Britain for somebody with A-Levels, no degree, and 4 years of unskilled work experience?

Seriously, in the modern world, having no degree or no trade qualification is going to limit your job prospects in a pretty serious way.

You do realise that you will probably find that the Civil Engineering thing is actually quite interesting and that after you are fully qualified, you don't necessarily have to stay as an engineer or whatever, but could move into project management or branch out into other skill areas.

My recommendation...give the apprenticeship a go for six months and if you still don't like it, change to something else. Six months is not a long time and at least you will have a better idea about what the whole job is really about.

dc89

"Again, I can't emphasise this enough, DO NOT read the Guardian and Telegraph Dark Knight Rises reviews. Both give away the entire plot."

Saw that on Twitter. Protect yourselves!

Ashes

Banned
"Again, I can't emphasise this enough, DO NOT read the Guardian and Telegraph Dark Knight Rises reviews. Both give away the entire plot."

When is it out?

ps. They should have spoiler alerts. At the start of the articles I think. Or there needs to a twitter campaign to get that fashion started. If internet forums can do it, why can't newspapers do it?

Hixx

When is it out?

ps. They should have spoiler alerts. At the start of the articles I think. Or there needs to a twitter campaign to get that fashion started. If internet forums can do it, why can't newspapers do it?

this week. going to see it on saturday. haven't been able to walk without trying to tuck my erection somewhere at the thought of it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

3 more days. I must remain pure.

PaulLFC

I thought Rodgers agreed not to sign any Swansea players for a year? Pretty shady if hes trying to get around that.
How could he get around it? It's up to Swansea whether they want to sell us any players, if they're alright with it then I don't see the problem. If they're not, we won't sign him.

FootballFan

OMG I am stupidly happy right now. I just bought me and Manutdfan 2 tickets to the Barcelona vs Real Madrid supercup game next month.

tumblr_lf2iq4s4Hy1qg1gw5o1_400.gif

This has been my dream for so long

:eek: cool. Hope we get a good result and Messi has a great performance like last supercup. 2 Messis in 1 stadium, crazy!

GorillaJu

How could he get around it? It's up to Swansea whether they want to sell us any players, if they're alright with it then I don't see the problem. If they're not, we won't sign him.

If we get Allen, it'll be for a higher fee than he's worth, IMO. Another club could get him this summer or next for 8-10 but we'll have to pay 12-ish I imagine. I wouldn't have a problem with that because I want Joe Allen at Liverpool badly.

3Sixty

Sky Sports understands Nathaniel Clyne will complete his move to Southampton in the next 48 hours after deciding that St Mary's is where he wants to be.

Crystal Palace gave the 21-year-old full-back permission to talk with the Saints last week and he travelled to the South Coast.

Having held talks and been shown around, Clyne has told his representatives that he wants to move to St Mary's.

Great signing.

Both are well-regarded int'l youth players. Heard that Brady isn't far away from a senior call-up for Ireland, and he did okay on loan in the Championship. Don't know if they'll make it at United, but they're not bad eggs to put investment in. I'd put decent money on Blackett, at least. But that's a while down the track.

Fergie's probably doing an equal share of mind games and putting contingencies into place.

Yen

According to Duncan Jenkins:

- We're trying to get a deal sorted for Joe Allen
- We've not made a bid for Dempsey
- On Carroll, we apparently want to get rid of him, he wants to stay but if he had to leave would want to go to Newcastle
- Baines to United is definitely happening

Ah, the transfer window.

Stephen Martin ‏@stephen1martin
So we wait today for Newcastle to offer us 16 for Carroll, a fee to be agreed for Dempsey and a political wrangle to be resolved for Allen.
Stephen Martin ‏@stephen1martin
Oh and Lewis Holtby to decide if he wants to play in the Prem'.
StephenMartin is an Anfield Wrapper, should be reliable, Royhendo stands by him.

All these players Chelsea are going for are attacking players. :lol Oscar, Hazard and Marin. Plus they want Hulk. Wonder when they will stop, plus they need new defenders/defensive players.

Other than another right back option, I don't really agree at all. Got enough defensive midfielders in Mikel who was brilliant last season, Essien who you can hope on making a return to his old form before the injury and then Romeu as the younger talented one. On top of that Ramires while not being a defensive midfielder is a work horse unlike many and helps a lot defensively. The defense itself (except the right back where there's a need for options) is fine. Terry, Luiz, Cahill and Ivan who would cover both right and center.

But there has been lots of right back rumors, so not worried about that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom