• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
Please don't twist my words, especially when you to try to portray me in a contradictory light. It was quite plainly obvious that I wasn't calling the Spanish anti-football, but rather their insistent need to keep the ball constantly once they feel the game is settled. I understand why they do it, it is deliberate, but it's negative in the sense that it is boring. Beside their 'shut everything down' tika taka, they unquestionably play the most attractive brand of football of all the international sides; Spain in general are not anti-football; rather I was referring to a specific side of their game. Anyone who was aware (or part) of the discussion preceding that would have understood the context of my comment.?
Barcelona do that as well. It's a very intelligent tactic and can result in you scoring more goals because it draws the opposition to come at you more trying to get the ball because they need to score and when you have the play making talent they have you can open sides up even easier.

I don't see that as anti football at all. I call it intelligent football. What Chelsea/Greece do... that's negative and anti football.

Kyoufu

Please don't twist my words, especially when you to try to portray me in a contradictory light. It was quite plainly obvious that I wasn't calling the Spanish anti-football, but rather their insistent need to keep the ball constantly once they feel the game is settled. I understand why they do it, it is deliberate, but it's negative in the sense that it is boring. Beside their 'shut everything down' tika taka, they unquestionably play the most attractive brand of football of all the international sides; Spain in general are not anti-football; rather I was referring to a specific side of their game. Anyone who was aware (or part) of the discussion preceding that would have understood the context of my comment

Passing the ball is not anti-football. I don't understand your comment.

Fry

tumblr_m1zwgeveZR1qgyp45o1_500.jpg

:lol

Apparently Villas-Boas might be coming then. Or at least there's an offer on the table from us. I think there's some legal issue with his Chelsea payoff and whether he can talk to clubs or sign anything before a certain date. There might have been something similar with Ancelotti, but I'm not sure. The Modric articles are interesting. I've always liked the idea of money + Sahin if it's on the table.

Also, there's been a lot of rumours the past few weeks, and especially the past few days, that there's new investment coming into the club one way or another. The club is privately owned now after it was delisted from the stock exchange back in January. Levy said at the time that it restricted the clubs ability to secure funding.

Messi

Please don't twist my words, especially when you to try to portray me in a contradictory light. It was quite plainly obvious that I wasn't calling the Spanish anti-football, but rather their insistent need to keep the ball constantly once they feel the game is settled. I understand why they do it, it is deliberate, but it's negative in the sense that it is boring. Beside their 'shut everything down' tika taka, they unquestionably play the most attractive brand of football of all the international sides; Spain in general are not anti-football; rather I was referring to a specific side of their game. Anyone who was aware (or part) of the discussion preceding that would have understood the context of my comment.

I noticed that as well, looks like a deliberate attempt to cover the Qatar Foundation logo. Why though?

They said it was prelim artwork, I suspect when we see the final artwork you will see the sponsor.

Messi on the new FIFA? Oh joy.

tumblr_m4g16ntGu91qbuypqo4_250.gif

Edit: Nope not even worth starting that.

Because it's fucking ugly?

This, fucking awful sponsor.

Lightning

Banned
Messi, Iniesta and Fabregas are the Barcelona players I refuse to hate. Fabregas because he is my favourite player, carried Arsenal through a torrid period of changing stadium, and is one of the most gifted players I've seen play. Iniesta & Messi are just great and imo don't give off the same arrogant higher than thou attitude that Barcelona players tend to give. They are also just a pure joy to watch play.

RVP wined and dined in Manchester a couple of nights ago according to somebody I know.

Maybe he just likes one of those 2 good restaurants?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spurs to pinch Sigurdsson?

TOTTENHAM have made a shock move to sign Liverpool midfield target Gylfi Sigurdsson.

It is believed Spurs have offered a better package and the player, who spent last season on loan at Swansea, is seriously considering it. Sigurdsson was a major influence in Swansea’s impressive showing in their first season in the Premier League.

It's worth trying, I suppose.

Lightning

Banned
RVP wined and dined in Manchester a couple of nights ago according to somebody I know.

Yeah, I've read different sources now claiming this. I was hopeful that Arsenal would be able to tie him down but it appears that we will not be successful with that which is disapponting given we have started this transfer period quite well.

Zabojnik

After yesterday's Euro match, I feel this should be quoted again.

"We've been following Poulsen very closely for some time now. Xabi Alonso is too slow for our midfield." - Claudio Ranieri as Juve's coach, 2008

1228046740_ranier_darth_fener.JPG

jtb

Banned
Yeah, I've read different sources now claiming this. I was hopeful that Arsenal would be able to tie him down but it appears that we will not be successful with that which is disapponting given we have started this transfer period quite well.

It's dissapointing but the writing has been on the wall for some time. No way the ARsenal board would approve all these transfers (Giroud and Podolski? Not to mention, potentially grabbing M'Vila as well?) without knowing some revenue is coming in first - and they sure as fuck shouldn't be expecting those transfers to be paid for by Chamakh.

RVP is a world class striker, but he's getting old and destined for another lengthy injury. We don't need a like for like replacement - we need a reliable goal scorer but not necessarily someone who has to start attacks on their own and drops deep into midfield, and we're already getting two of those. I'd much rather spend that fee (assuming its 30m or so - and there's no reason why it shouldn't be. we conned City out of 24m for Nasri, and he had one half of a good season, so 30m should be the absolute fucking minimum.) on quality full backs (back-up right back and first choice left back - Gibbs and Santos aren't good enough. Gibbs might be eventually, Santos will never be.), another center half (replacement for Djouru/Squillaci), and if there's cash left over on a true number 10/Cesc/Nasri-replacement (wouldn't mind a punt on Sneijder if he's cheap)

This is all assuming the board still operates on their asinine sell-to-buy policy. Hopefully Giroud/Podolski/M'Vila and seven trophyless years signals the end of that.

Barcelona do that as well. It's a very intelligent tactic and can result in you scoring more goals because it draws the opposition to come at you more trying to get the ball because they need to score and when you have the play making talent they have you can open sides up even easier.

I don't see that as anti football at all. I call it intelligent football. What Chelsea/Greece do... that's negative and anti football.

There's ofen a huge overlap between intelligent football and anti-football. Your two examples, for instance

After yesterday's Euro match, I feel this should be quoted again.

"We've been following Poulsen very closely for some time now. Xabi Alonso is too slow for our midfield." - Claudio Ranieri as Juve's coach, 2008

1228046740_ranier_darth_fener.JPG

What a tit. Poulsen, aside from being slow as shit in the head and the legs, hasn't got a percentile of Xabi's ability.

Side-note: Xabi's 100th cap reminded me of something I still find amusing. Remember when Beckham was inching towards his hundredth and 109th caps, the media went into overdrive, and Capello even subbed him on in a couple of matches in the midst of a bizarre national propoganda and nostalgia trip, culminating in fathead Bruce giving him the official MotM award for his barnstorming 30 minute exhibition against Belarus? Good times

elseanio

Passing the ball is not anti-football, passing the ball like Spain is. I'm with Mues on this one.

Me too. Passing the ball with a purpose is fine. The purpose being to get the ball forward and score. Any team could pass the ball between their back 4, and that would achieve the same as what Spain are doing. It's fucking boring as hell to watch as well. I'm sure it's fine if it's your club and you're winning, but any team with a bit more fight than France would have shown Spain up. Leaving it so long at 1-0 was risky, especially in a knock out game.

Wilbur

Banned
Happy birthday Shaka Hislop.

Anti football stuff makes me laugh. Chelsea scored twice at the Nou Camp didn't they? Playing negative football?

Since when was counter attacking negative? It's just since people have started cumming over five yard passes being the norm.

Chelsea counter attacked and scored 3 overall. Barca played tiki taka and scored 2. Give me 'negative' football any day.

dc89

Yes. And he had lunch in Hale the other day.

Wilbur

Banned
Ronaldo was my god for a few years. Before Messi and Ronaldo were making it the norm, he scored 42 goals in a season. Don't begrudge him the move at all, he did it with class. If you're leaving United there's only one or two clubs where it could be considered a step up, and Madrid is one of those clubs.

dc89

Messi has scored 281 professional goals, played for Argentina 70 times, won 21 trophies and holds 19 world records.

He's 25 today.

Kozak

Banned
Galatasaray: Club had agreed to sign Newcastle United player Demba Ba for 7,000,000 euro transfer fee with yearly salary of 2,500,000. Meanwhile, it became clear that Demba Ba had arrived to Istanbul twice and had enjoyed city a lot.

Would be a solid buy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Following that whole soap-opera was really depressing, Deschamp
ion
s was right.

, Ronaldo isn't that pretty and laughed at me saying Nelson Oliveira was sexy

My sister actually agrees with her. She likes him, but doesn't think he's all that.

Awesome! Add me then :D

Unless it's a family-only twitter or something like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
List of unlikable twerps:

Portugal: Fake Ronaldo
Spain: Busquets and post-Arsenal Fàbregas
Italy: Balotelli
England: Terry
Germany: ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom