• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

|・ω・`)

will be pretty busy till september (*≧▽≦). tweets and neogaf posts will have a short break _〆(・∀・@) . but i'm coming back for sure! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
|・ω・`)

will be pretty busy till september (*≧▽≦). tweets and neogaf posts will have a short break _〆(・∀・@) . but i'm coming back for sure! (*・∀・)/♡\(・∀・*)

What? No.

Meier

Is Barcas preseason being shown on TV? Would love to see the Man Utd and PSG games.

I am sure the big friendly matches will be. PSG vs Chelsea is playing live here in the States on FSC. I'm sure that's in part due to the fact it's here but also just because it should be an interesting match.

Carbonox

ASZDe.jpg

Zabojnik

I recommend the orange chicken and the chilli beef.

Says a lot that I'd be ecstatic for a 50% hit on Carroll.

What exactly is wrong with Carroll at Liverpool? I mean, I know he underperformed last year, but doesn't he deserve at least another season with you guys?

Kyoufu

What exactly is wrong with Carroll at Liverpool? I mean, I know he underperformed last year, doesn't he deserve at least another season with you guys?

Carroll underperformed, but so did the rest of the team. I can understand why LFC fans would rather sell him though. Would the big man fit in B-Rod's style of play? Doubtful.

If true then Fergie has lost his mind. You could buy two combative, technically proficient central midfielders with that cash. Does he think Jones is going to be a midfielder? Why aren't they trying to buy Tiote, Fellaini or Sandro (lol no). Or at least a player in that mold.

Eh. I felt that way a bit, back when Ferguson brought in a cheeky winger with the arrogance to be named Ronaldo, and half-cheered Keane's flame-out rant. More recently, you've got players like Fletcher, Nani and Evans who've repaid his faith quite well, when everyone else had thrown in the towel. Still hope we get some cover for Carrick, but Fergie's gambles tend to bear out in the grand scheme of things, even balanced against the Obertans and Bebes, and even if he has blind spots here and there, or primarily in central midfield.

Otherwise: Tiote is a great player, but I'm sure there are doubts about how an out-and-out destroyer would fit our system. I'd take Fellaini in a heartbeat. And Sandro definitely has FM approval. ;)

Meier

I was about to post that Carb. We must read the same sites lol

I can't really tell if that's a 2012/2013 shirt -- is it? If not, it's not that big of a deal as all of the 2011/2012 shirts are heavily discounted at this point. Worth a chuckle either way given the circumstances.

Arnie

What exactly is wrong with Carroll at Liverpool? I mean, I know he underperformed last year, but doesn't he deserve at least another season with you guys?
He's too slow, both mentally and physically. And his finishing is poor.
Impatience.
Nope.
Carroll underperformed, but so did the rest of the team. I can understand why LFC fans would rather sell him though. Would the big man fit in B-Rod's style of play? Doubtful.
Carroll was different though. When the other team was playing nice football for the first half of the season, Carroll was shanking rudimentary passes and missing piss easy chances. The only reason Downing's on zero assists is because Carroll was so hopeless in front of goal.

He doesn't fit our new style, and he never will. Rodgers wants us to press in groups high up the pitch, the motive being if multiple players press at once we'll regain the ball back in more lucrative areas. If one player doesn't press in sync though then the opposition has an available pass out, and we leave ourselves exposed. Carroll is this one variable, he just simply isn't quick enough to press like Suarez, or Borini, or even Maxi, who's 31.

Carroll isn't a terrible player, but he's suited to a very specific style of play, and that's diametrically opposed to how we want to play. Carroll would get the job done at another club, where his style is supported, encouraged, and he doesn't have the weight of that ridiculous transfer fee still dangling over his head.

Mastadon

Banned
Carroll isn't a terrible player, but he's suited to a very specific style of play, and that's diametrically opposed to how we want to play. Carroll would get the job done at another club, where his style is supported, encouraged, and he doesn't have the weight of that ridiculous transfer fee still dangling over his head.

This is all spot on, but the cynic in me thinks that down the line when we're struggling to break down teams or unlock a stubborn defence, we will wish we had that other option.

ATF487

Part of me wants him to stick around, since I have a weird love for a classic English number 9. But the basics are:

1) He underperformed in a team that was (theoretically) designed to provide service. It didn't exactly work out like that, but it would seem silly to keep investing money in players like Downing that were "sure fits" with their statistics. Also..
2) Brenny has a new style that Carroll doesn't fit naturally into. He's got a better first touch than you'd think, but he's not going to play a false nine role or be really effective when pressing. He's designed to take the first knock down and then not really touch the ball again until he's in front of goal.
3) After the Euro performance, he's weirdly in demand. He will never be worth 35 million again, but getting 15-20 million would allow the team to make a decent signing that would mesh better with the team.
4) Judging from how FSG run the Red Sox, they aren't constantly spending boatloads of cash every season. They try to put together a strong team and then iterate until they have to invest heavily again. Selling to buy looks like the best way to get an impact player this summer.

Arnie

Arnie, it's Chinese time. See you on the other side.
Hope you enjoy. Wouldn't want to have a conscience like Bungie, encouraging people to waste money and all.
This is all spot on, but the cynic in me thinks that down the line when we're struggling to break down teams or unlock a stubborn defence, we will wish we had that other option.
The Anfield Wrap touched on this and I have to agree that it's a bit of a misnomer. What you and others are describing is a plan B, of sorts. The point is to have multiple systems and setups within Plan A to prevent ever needing a Plan B. It shouldn't be the case of 'oh we can't pass it through them, get Carroll on and hoof it'. It should be a case of bringing on a different option, but one that fits into our system. Not throwing the system out at 60 minutes because we can't pass our way through West Brom.

The idea is to have a fucking boss Plan A so you don't need a player like Carroll.

Carbonox

He's too slow, both mentally and physically. And his finishing is poor.

Such a shame too. At Newcastle he displayed pretty good pace when he needed to. Plus his finishing was sublime and with aplomb. I'm hoping he works back to that kind of guy when we get him back. He was in better shape physically before being at Liverpool.

Sorry Bayern-GAF but I'm fucking tired of Sammer already.

It's Sammer did this, Sammer did that. The media is obsessed with him. A few days ago Sammer talked with Heynckes, Heynckes acts younger now that Sammer is here. Yesterday Sammer talked with Robben, all will work out! Today Sammer took a shit, that's the shit that will win Bayern titles!

I know it's because there's no Football to talk about but seriously...

Kyoufu

Such a shame too. At Newcastle he displayed pretty good pace when he needed to. Plus his finishing was sublime and with aplomb. I'm hoping he works back to that kind of guy when we get him back. He was in better shape physically before being at Liverpool.

He was on his way to being the next Shearer for us. Oh well.

The question is: If he returns, will he fit in our style of play? I'm thinking he's a Shola upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom