• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Italy. They were the better team. Some great penalties. Pirlo has been brilliant this Euro's. Hope he gets player of the Tournament.

England should learn from this, get some young players into the team. Get wilshere, Cleverly, OX all integrated into the team and hopefully it'll help the technical side of the team.
Yeah i cant wait to see cleverley and wilshere running that midfield in a few years (if they stay fit)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
If anyone wants more football, today is a major derby day in MLS, with the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers playing in the Cascadia Derby, and then later today DC United plays New York Red Bulls in the I-95 Derby!

Ashley Young. Cunt.

orNQ1.gif

jtb

Banned
I understand why England would try to play for penalties... but England has won a penalty shootout... once? In fucking 1996? Lose-lose tactic either way.

elseanio

It'll take more than four years to start bringing through the players to change how England are able to play anyway.

Hodgson did everything right upto now to get England this far. He was let down by individuals tonight.

Individuals that probably shouldn't have started though. Young/Milner really should have been replaced. Starting with both was a mistake I feel. Welbeck shouldn't have been subbed either

It'll take more than four years to start bringing through the players to change how England are able to play anyway.

Hodgson did everything right upto now to get England this far. He was let down by individuals tonight.

Individual play got us goals though. Not a single one came from good team play. Hodgson has no idea how to put together a decent attacking side.

Ashes

Banned
Thought it'd go like that. I think England's inability to keep the ball for more than 5 passes is psychological rather than technical. In tournament football that is.

Lightning

Banned
Congrats to Italy on making the semis. The superior side in my opinion.

England done well though. Just some strange selection decisions. Young's place in the team must surely be called into question now? Surely...

jtb

Banned
I really do hope Wilshere is fit for next season though - his presence has been sorely missed in both the England and Arsenal midfields.

sohois

Hodgson did well in the group stages and as much as the football is boring it does seem to fit the current england players better than trying to force good football on them, but tonight he got several things wrong.

Young, Milner and Rooney should not have started tonight, that much was clear even without the benefit of hindsight. Gerrard should have been rested against Ukraine, he looked wasted tonight and it was strange that Parker was taken off and not Gerrard. No-one was picking up Pirlo, even if you want to play with 2 banks of 4 you can still get a striker to follow him, but of course Hodge left Rooney on to do nothing rather than keeping Welbeck to try and track him.

Kem0sabe

Was a fun match, a pity it had to go to penalties to resolve itself.

In the end, i think both teams can only blame themselves, England for a clear lack of ambition during most of the match, they were almost innocuous going forward, Italy on the other hand, should have killed the game sooner, i think it was a mistake leaving Di Natale on the bench and he could have been the finishing touch the team needed in front of goal.

I confess i think the forum meltdown of having Germany - England and Portugal - Spain semi´s would have been much more entertaining *shrug*

K1LLER7

He's honestly been a revelation. I keep forgetting that he's 33.
can't believe AC Milan gave him away. Great pick-up from Juve.

Would've loved if scholes was in this team, or even Carrick. The passing would've improved massively. Germany vs Italy will be fun to watch.

Still think Spain will win this. There style of play is above everyone else's.

Labadal

I said it twice in the Euro thread and I'll say it here: England should have had 2 penalties. They might have played shit football, but they shouldn't suffer from referee mistakes.

Hope Italy wins it all.

near

Gold Member
Why on Earth would you expect England, under Hodgson, with what mediocre personnel they have further reduced by injuries, to reach the semi-final? Many were expecting them to not even make it out of the group stages.

Because we have a fantastic squad like we always do? Shit management and tactical approach is what fails us, the lack of attack football is annoying. It's easy to get lost in the hype and over anticipate with our players. And no 'many' did not expect us to fail our group stage. :s

elseanio

Former LFC player Miki Roque has died from cancer :( He was only 23. He only made a couple appearances for the first team, but remember seeing a lot of him in the youth set up.

RIP

Stubo

Deserved loss, no complaints, simply not good enough.

Pirlo is a class act, really a master of his trade and if anyone's going to take a cheeky chip penalty I'll allow him to rub our noses in it.

I've not been sure about the tactical decision to absorb pressure and be happy off the ball all tournament and perhaps you could point the finger to this to a certain extent for tiring the players and making things more difficult than they perhaps could have been.

That said the technicality of the players available perhaps limits the options in this regard and it would have been difficult to set out the tactics to flood the midfield and dictate the pace of the game against anyone other than the mediocre teams. There will be young players to rejuvenate the squad in time and shape a hopefully brighter future for international matches, but I think all England fans will know from experience that this hope is to be approached with extremely cautious optimism at best.

Bottom line - I can go back to enjoying the tournament without being forced to sit through 2 hours of torture by the hands of my own inept nation. So pumped for the semis!

Bumhead

Banned
Because we have a fantastic squad like we always do? Shit management and tactical approach is what fails us, the lack of attack football is annoying. It's easy to get lost in the hype and over anticipate with our players. And no 'many' did not expect us to fail our group stage. :s

What am I reading here?

Lunchbox

Banned
no one outside of england thinks you have a "fantastic squad." not a single midfielder in that england team would start for the current German or spanish side.

as italy has shown today, a 33 year old can run rings around your ponies. be thankful you went out on penalties because germany would've put on double digits against you

Bumhead

Banned
Gerrard sounded distraught. Feel really sorry for him, he's been a great captain throughout.

Yep. I'm no particular fan of Gerrard but he stepped up in this tournament and largely delivered.

He get's a pass from this tournament, but there are other senior players in this squad I hope aren't a feature in Brazil.

Mastadon

Banned
no one outside of england thinks you have a "fantastic squad." not a single midfielder in that england team would start for the current German or spanish side.

as italy has shown today, a 33 year old can run rings around your ponies. be thankful you went out on penalties because germany would've put on double digits against you

Not even Downing?

Kyoufu

Feel bad for him and the few world class players England have.

I tip my top hat to Pirlo. He ran the game.

I only counted 1 world class player on that England team. Who else besides Hart?

edit: Oh, Cole and Terry? But they're cunts! :p

Wes

venison crêpe
When Ashley Young had that clash of heads I actuallly hoped it meant he was coming off.

He has had a dire tournament.

Scum

Congrats to Italy. Commiserations, StokEngland.

lol @ milan letting Pirlo go

wtf were they thinking

dude is pure class

I was just going to add this to my post too. Here's hoping that Pirlo ends up with some sort of award after all this. Thoroughly deserved.

near

Gold Member

Well I think England suck. But that midfield is still very good. Despite injuries, individually I love the players we have at our disposal. But yeah, if we reached the final everyone would suddenly suck the bum off Roy and the squad. Guess its never going to happen.

I tip my hat to Italy though, I'm not taking nothing from there side, they deserved to go through.

K1LLER7

Yep. I'm no particular fan of Gerrard but he stepped up in this tournament and largely delivered.

He get's a pass from this tournament, but there are other senior players in this squad I hope aren't a feature in Brazil.
Hope a lot of the midfield is changed in time for Brazil. They need to find a new winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom