• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Because we have a fantastic squad like we always do? Shit management and tactical approach is what fails us, the lack of attack football is annoying. It's easy to get lost in the hype and over anticipate with our players. And no 'many' did not expect us to fail our group stage. :s

No we don't.

We have no good wingers, one unfit quality striker, a slow and ageing central defence, no genuine quality at right back, our best left back also has maybe one tournament left in him. Our central midfield tonight consisted of two 30+ year olds and one of whom is a rather average footballer who is having a nice twilight to his career.

Quarter final is about right for us. We did well in the group and came unstuck tonight.

I think we punch above our weight and the underachieving tag people like to slap about couldn't be any further from the truth.

For a nation as large as ours and considering how huge football is here, we SHOULD produce better players, we are underachieving there. But imo we do not underachieve with what we have currently.

Inversive

Pirlo is a magnificent bastard, what a display of tekkers. I wish Scholes wanted to play internationals though i guess being overlooked by every English manager he played under gives him the right to not give a fuck.

Ashley Young with one of the worst performances i've ever seen and Pirlo with one of the best.

Fry

ibizePjTc45YQJ.png

There was another cunt named Ashley that missed too.

I don't blame players that miss in shootouts.

It takes balls just to take a penalty.

Oh yeah totally, there's a reason I picked Young. Fucking wanker was useless again for 120 minutes.

We totally deserved to lose that game, which is probably why I thought we'd win the shootout :(

Salazar

Impetuous pen attempt.

Maybe when you're not a young player who has had a shit tournament you might just be entitled to try and scorch it in off the crossbar.

But that was bottling it so hard.

Mastadon

Banned
No we don't.

We have no good wingers, one unfit quality striker, a slow and ageing central defence, no genuine quality at right back, our best left back also has maybe one tournament left in him. Our central midfield tonight consisted of two 30+ year olds and one of whom is a rather average footballer who is having a nice twilight to his career.

Quarter final is about right for us. We did well in the group and came unstuck tonight.

I think we punch above our weight and the underachieving tag people like to slap about couldn't be any further from the truth.

For a nation as large as ours and considering how huge football is here, we SHOULD produce better players, we are underachieving there. But imo we do not underachieve with what we have currently.

No genuine quality at RB? I think Johnson has been one of England's better players throughout. One or two iffy moments, but he's recovered well and made some key tackles and interceptions.

Yen

Gerrard was by far England's best player in this tournament, but I hope he retires from international duty now.

Hixx

No genuine quality at RB? I think Johnson has been one of England's better players throughout. One or two iffy moments, but he's recovered well and made some key tackles and interceptions.

I know you Liverpool lot love him but I don't think he's the answer at RB for England and I can't be arsed to argue about it again.

K1LLER7

Over the next 2 years, hopefully Roy brings young players into the team and sticks with them through the next tournament and qualifications. Thinking about it, Germany did it and it worked for them.

near

Gold Member
No we don't.

Erm. Well if Young didn't play so shit we would have been okay. Walcott played well considering he is shit at club level, he still should have started ahead of Milner. Glen Johnson was probably our next best player behind the 30+ year olds your complaining about who played extremely well and gave it there all. We didn't lose a game so that slow defence worked. :s Italy also showed us age doesn't mean a thing in terms of ability. Rooney was shit and Andy Caroll was just well Andy Caroll.

Yeah we should be producing better players, but with what we've got we should be pushing further.

elsk

Banned
Well Bild is running the Robben for Dzeko swap rumour (rumour!). And Kicker is saying that Martinez is awaiting an offer.

Letting Robben go would be too good to be true. :/
I think the Martínez transfer is going to be decided by the player, I'm pretty sure Bayern will pay the 40M if needed.

Mastadon

Banned
I know you Liverpool lot love him but I don't think he's the answer at RB for England and I can't be arsed to argue about it again.

Actually I'm not a massive fan of his, and was quite critical of him at the beginning of last season. His defensive work and positioning has improved immensely in the past year. Kyle Walker is a quality RB too.

It'll take more than four years to start bringing through the players to change how England are able to play anyway.

Hodgson did everything right upto now to get England this far. He was let down by individuals tonight.

Flat 4-4-2. Play like Stoke. Don't nurture technical players. Pick a Premiership XI, not a squad focussed on a team ethic of posession, control, etc. - that is, attributes necessary when playing the top nations - but, rather, altogether tunnel-visioned on speed and strength. Use the Big Man in the Box as your ace in the hole, even when he doesn't actually win much more headers than other forwards, and lacks their quality in other areas.

Yup. England's future looks bright under Roy. I'll give him some consideration, though. As you say, he took on the job months before the tournament. But sorry, the future isn't looking too nice for you guys.

England have a potentially good side for the next World Cup, with young players like Wilshere and Welbeck, and if they reformed their youth structure as Germany did a decade ago, they could become a serious footballing power again, with time. But I doubt the stagnant conservatism of the current setup will allow it. Not to mention the surrounding appetite for immediate results, abetted by a destructive media.

Fry

Letting Robben go would be too good to be true. :/
I think the Martínez transfer is going to be decided by the player, I'm pretty sure Bayern will pay the 40M if needed.

No more Robbery = too good to be true?

C'mon son.

elsk

Banned
Flat 4-4-2. Play like Stoke. Don't nurture technical players. Pick a Premiership XI, not a squad focussed on a team ethic of posession, control, etc. - that is, attributes necessary when playing the top nations - but, rather, altogether tunnel-visioned on speed and strength. Use the Big Man in the Box as your ace in the hole, even when he doesn't actually win much more headers than other forwards, and lacks their quality in other areas.

Yup. England's future looks bright under Roy. I'll give him some consideration, though. As you say, he took on the job months before the tournament. But sorry, the future isn't looking too nice for you guys.

England have a potentially good side for the next World Cup, with young players like Wilshere and Welbeck, and if they reformed their youth structure as Germany did a decade ago, they could become a serious footballing power again, with time. But I doubt the stagnant conservatism of the current setup will allow it. Not to mention the surrounding appetite for immediate results, abetted by a destructive media.

That's england football without foreign talented players :)

Bumhead

Banned

I thought Johnson has been our stand out defender, and he's earned the right to first choice rights over the shirt for me, but for some reason there's a complete lack of faith in his ability by both fans and seemingly management aside.

Somebody earlier mentioned that Milner was doing a good job because he was covering Johnson well and that was his job, which is fair enough in Hodgson's system and I generally agree, but this is international football. If your right back isn't good enough - or the management don't think is good enough - to cope without support from a right midfielder, then he shouldn't be playing. Milner either needs to be in the side because he's a benefit to the team in his own position or he shouldn't be playing. And if Hodgson doesn't think Johnson is good enough without that support, then what the fuck is Richards doing sat at home?

Terry has been the weak link for me at the back. He's a spent force at International level.

elsk

Banned
Bayer Leverkusen on verge of signing Universidad de Chile's Júnior Fernandes on a four-year deal, according to "Bild". About €3m fee.

No more Robbery = too good to be true?

C'mon son.

I doubt Robben is going to be able, or want, to reinvent himself. He's going to keep doing his one trick and adding nothing to the team. I would drop Robben and Gómez (at least from the XI) if it was my decision.

Clegg

Over the next 2 years, hopefully Roy brings young players into the team and sticks with them through the next tournament and qualifications. Thinking about it, Germany did it and it worked for them.

10 years ago Germany put into place a youth recruitment drive to find for all the talented young footballers Germany. They trained them in technique and skill and as a result they now have young players like Ozil, Gotze, Reus, Schurrle etc.

England are at least 10 years behind Germany when it comes to developing top quality young footballers. England still have some very good young players but they aren't being produced at the same rate as Germany.

jtb

Banned
I thought Johnson has been our stand out defender, and he's earned the right to first choice rights over the shirt for me, but for there's a complete lack of faith in his ability by both fans and seemingly management aside.

Somebody earlier mentioned that Milner was doing a good job because he was covering Johnson well and that was his job, which is fair enough in Hodgson's system and I generally agree, but this is international football. If your right back isn't good enough - or the management don't think is good enough - to cope without support from a right midfielder, then he shouldn't be playing. Milner either needs to be in the side because he's a benefit to the team in his own position or he shouldn't be playing. And if Hodgson doesn't think Johnson is good enough without that support, then what the fuck is Richards doing sat at home?

Terry has been the weak link for me at the back. He's a spent force at International level.

wat. International football is all about wingers overlapping with their full backs and providing cover for each other - for example, every single goal conceded against Portugal this tournament was on Ronaldo's flank, presumably because he rarely tracks back and drifts into the center. Granted, it's okay because Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world and has been a beast the past two matches, but England don't have that luxury. Portugal (and teams like Holland - who crashed out, mind you) is the exception to the rule.

As for Terry, he's far too slow. anyways, Walcott should be exclusively an impact sub because he's shit.

Mastadon

Banned

I agree with your overall point, but Carroll's aerial duels won % was the highest in the league last year.

Scum

10 years ago Germany put into place a youth recruitment drive to find for all the talented young footballers Germany. They trained them in technique and skill and as a result they now have young players like Ozil, Gotze, Reus, Schurrle etc.

England are at least 10 years behind Germany when it comes to developing top quality young footballers. England still have some very good young players but they aren't being produced at the same rate as Germany.

England should have picked up on Germany's shenanigans years and years ago.

elsk

Banned
Do you have replacements in mind, or you'd do it even with the current squad?

I assume you'd play Shaqiri and Müller as a striker?

Shaqiri as RW, yes. In the striker position I would bring someone else, I would even drop Gómez for Pizarro if Pizza is in form. I wouldn't mind playing Mueller as striker, tho.

Hixx

Erm. Well if Young didn't play so shit we would have been okay.

if me aunty had balls she'd be my uncle but she doesn't.

Walcott played well considering he is shit at club level, he still should have started ahead of Milner.

He should but he's played well in an England shirt about 3 times.

Glen Johnson was probably our next best player behind the 30+ year olds your complaining about who played extremely well and gave it there all.

which wasn't good enough. You are destroying your own argument.

We didn't lose a game so that slow defence worked.

It worked well against France but was piss poor v Sweden, worrying against Ukraine and all at sea tonight. Italy created so many chances from simple, straight balls over the top it was embarrassing.

:s Italy also showed us age doesn't mean a thing in terms of ability.

Eh? 3 of their outfield at kick off were over 30... and their ageing star ran the show, ours sat and admired.

Yeah we should be producing better players, but with what we've got we should be pushing further.

We did well with what we have but trying to big up our team is exactly why the footballing world laughs at us. We're doing well to be 7th or wherever we are in the world rankings. We're better than most but miles away from the cream of the crop.

Ewww did I really just put that??

Bumhead

Banned
It worked well against France but was piss poor v Sweden, worrying against Ukraine and all at sea tonight. Italy created so many chances from simple, straight balls over the top it was embarrassing.

Yep. Italy could have filled their boots just by putting balls over the top of a slow and flat footed back four. I've been watching third division football for the last two seasons and I can't remember seeing defending as shit as that too many times.

It was fucking toe curling at international level.

Fry

Shaqiri as RW, yes. In the striker position I would bring someone else, I would even drop Gómez for Pizarro if Pizza is in form. I wouldn't mind playing Mueller as striker, tho.

I don't think it would be responsible to make Shaqiri a guaranteed starter next season; the guy is only 20 and like Robben or not, he's still involved in most of Bayern's goals. There's probably a lot of shit going on on his mind right now... he possibly doesn't even want to stay at Bayern. But I do know that it's worth having him in the team. Dzeko would be a great buy, but not at Robben's cost. Especially because Dzeko isn't all that different from Gomez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom