• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doicare

Shame England were without:

Gary Cahill
Rio Ferdinand
Kyle Walker
Micah Richards
Chris Smalling
Gareth Barry
Frank Lampard
Jack Wilshire
Tom Cleverley
Paul Scholes
Michael Carrick
Darren Bent

Still, despite England's average performance in the Euro's i'm looking forward to the next few years with a large list of young English players about to break through who can actually PASS and keep hold of the ball at a high technical level.

I agree with your overall point, but Carroll's aerial duels won % was the highest in the league last year.

We're talking 2011-12, right? Pretty sure Carroll won the most aerial duels in total number - 152 - but not %. Terry, Kompany, Skrtel, etc. are 70/80%+. If we're just talking forwards, Crouch has the same % as Carroll, actually - around 64% - but his shots to goal ratio isn't in double digits.

Not saying he isn't an effective aerial threat, but he's a bit of a one-trick pony, the trick isn't so much better than everyone else to a blinding degree, and the opportunity cost of not playing a more rounded striker is quite steep.

Gary Cahill
Rio Ferdinand
Kyle Walker
Micah Richards
Chris Smalling
Gareth Barry
Frank Lampard
Jack Wilshire
Tom Cleverley
Paul Scholes
Michael Carrick
Darren Bent

Still, despite England's average performance in the Euro's i'm looking forward to the next few years with a large list of young English players about to break through who can actually PASS and keep hold of the ball at a high technical level.

You're a joke, and I don't mean that in the way that Michael Owen did.

Scum

Gary Cahill
Rio Ferdinand
Kyle Walker
Micah Richards
Chris Smalling
Gareth Barry
Frank Lampard
Jack Wilshire
Tom Cleverley
Paul Scholes
Michael Carrick
Darren Bent

7MHUV.gif

You forgot Heskey.

5YRcF.gif

Bumhead

Banned

Gary Cahill
Rio Ferdinand
Kyle Walker
Micah Richards
Chris Smalling
Gareth Barry
Frank Lampard
Jack Wilshire
Tom Cleverley
Paul Scholes
Michael Carrick
Darren Bent

At least half of those players either shouldn't or won't play for England again.

Fry

Gary Cahill
Rio Ferdinand
Kyle Walker
Micah Richards
Chris Smalling
Gareth Barry
Frank Lampard
Jack Wilshire
Tom Cleverley
Paul Scholes
Michael Carrick
Darren Bent

Lescott is better than Cahill, Terry is better than Ferdinand. Glen Johnson was one of England's best players, so to hell with Richards and Walker. In fact, the defense wasn't a problem.

If Lampard played, Gerrard would most likely not have been as good as he did. Barry isn't better than Parker.
Wilshere and Carrick are the only players they 'missed'.

Paul Scholes is too old for this shit, and Darren Bent is shit.

Kyoufu

Alan Shearer
David Beckham
Paul Scholes
David Batty
Robert Lee
Tony Adams
Sol Campbell

(that's all I remember from the golden generation)

K1LLER7

Agree with most of your post, Rio and Terry is a tough choice. Regarding Scholes, Pirlo showed your never too old. Scholes was one of United's best players this past season. He could and probably would've improved the midfield.

Agree with most of your post, Rio and Terry is a tough choice. Regarding Scholes, Pirlo showed your never too old. Scholes was one of United's best players this past season. He could and probably would've improved the midfield.

Pirlo just turned 33. Scholes it 133.

Alright "only" 37 but when you get up in that age those few years means incredible much.

near

Gold Member
which wasn't good enough. You are destroying your own argument.

Thats not destroying my own argument. I said we have a fantastic team, a poor tactical approach is what ruin us. Players played a lot shitter than they do at club level. We sucked the most going forward. Gerrard and Parker did there best, but they can't force our wingers and strikers to perform.

It worked well against France but was piss poor v Sweden, worrying against Ukraine and all at sea tonight. Italy created so many chances from simple, straight balls over the top it was embarrassing.

We got lucky, but it still worked. Nothing really worth complaining about at the back.

Eh? 3 of their outfield at kick off were over 30... and their ageing star ran the show, ours sat and admired.

Our aging stars are who? Ask yourself that and note how they played, you will find that we under performed in other areas.

We did well with what we have but trying to big up our team is exactly why the footballing world laughs at us. We're doing well to be 7th or wherever we are in the world rankings. We're better than most but miles away from the cream of the crop.

I agree. We are no where near Spain, Germany or even Portugal. But if our players played to there actual abilities for once just for once for England, then we'd have found ourselves pushing further.

I've seen a video on YouTube of a match where a player backheeled it to score and the ref made him take it again. Are there rules that prevent that sort of stuff? Someone there is a rule based on a lack of respect shown? Not sure if that is true, would be surprising if so

There are some posters in the Euros thread that really have a problem with England.

It's slightly disturbing.

The problem I have with England isn't so much the team but rather the inflated perception of them amongst a vocal portion of the media and fans.

I've seen a video on YouTube of a match where a player backheeled it to score and the ref made him take it again. Are there rules that prevent that sort of stuff? Someone there is a rule based on a lack of respect shown? Not sure if that is true, would be surprising if so

Well there's the rule about not completely stopping your run, which I guess the ref might have judged turning around as?

doicare

At least half of those players either shouldn't or won't play for England again.
Every one of those players should have been in the England squad because they are better then that what was there, and a couple of them would have a started.
Lescott is better than Cahill, Terry is better than Ferdinand. Glen Johnson was one of England's best players, so to hell with Richards and Walker. In fact, the defense wasn't a problem.

If Lampard played, Gerrard would most likely not have been as good as he did. Barry isn't better than Parker.
Wilshere and Carrick are the only players they 'missed'.

Cahill is better than Lescott and was already playing ahead of him in the squad, Lescott only started playing when Cahill got injured. Terry is too old, too slow and past it, Rio Ferdinand is past his best but he's quicker and still better than Terry. Most of the time Johnson messes up when going forward, slips over, or is just plain out of position, both Walker and Richards are much better. Both Barry and Lampard would have been on the bench and are a much better quality of player to bring on then f*cking Henderson. Gerrard, Carrick, Wilshire, Scholes and Cleverley are England's best midfield passers of the ball and Scholes is no more past it then Pirlo. And finally Bent is England's most natural goal scorer and is better than Defoe.
It's not about knowing about football. It's about thinking logically and using your brain.
I have, how about you prove me wrong.

Lightning

Banned
Jack Wilshere not being able to play for England was a shame as he could have really made a difference for them. Hope when he comes back he doesn't over do it and just eases back into things. Both England and arsenal have really missed him.

Arnie

"If brains were petrol then Balotelli wouldn't get out of the garage"

Lawrenson's a risible twat but in this instance it was for a strangely positive reason.

But you'd have to set up the system around him, like Fergie does. England were incapable of that when he was in his 20s, why would they able to do so now?

TrueBlue

Shame to hear that we went out on penalties again. Not too disappointed because I was at work and missed it. The small bit I heard on the radio kept mentioning that Terry was playing very well, so from a Chels point of view, that pleased me.

Still, pretty disappointed overall. We met and perhaps even exceeded our expectations though, so there's that.

I just want domestic football back again :(

GorillaJu

The source, and the idea that Debuchy would spurn clubs like Chelsea, Valencia, Inter and Bayern for fucking Newcastle, just because his mate plays there.

Think it can be forgiven. After all many Liverpool fans think Cavani wants to join us to play with Suàrez.

(actually he does, lol??)

TrueBlue

Debuchy is the french right-back isn't he? Wouldn't mind snapping him up after releasing Bosingwa, always been the weak side defensively for us.

Arnie

Think it can be forgiven. After all many Liverpool fans think Cavani wants to join us to play with Suàrez.

(actually he does, lol??)

I'm not saying Newcastle aren't interested, and I'm not suggesting Debuchy wouldn't enjoy playing with his mate, I'm laughing at the idea that he'd take both those things over a move to a top club in European football, like those listed who're also interested in him. It's a comical suggestion. And it's an equally hilarious source.

Kem0sabe

So... Wenger is crying about Nasri, Clichy e Fàbregas again?

Was reading on record.pt that he was complaining that Barcelona and City destroyed his work *sigh*

Kyoufu

I'm not saying Newcastle aren't interested, and I'm not suggesting Debuchy wouldn't enjoy playing with his mate, I'm laughing at the idea that he'd take both those things over a move to a top club in European football, like those listed who're also interested in him. It's a comical suggestion. And it's an equally hilarious source.

Source is very iffy, but Cabaye has influence over Marvin the Martian too (convinced him to join Lille instead of Arsenal).

You should know that players also leave clubs for other clubs purely to play for certain Managers too.

Not every player is an Enrique thinking he'll be better off at Liverpool. lol

Would he leave Lille to join up with Cabaye at Chelsea?

I have no idea if we have been linked with Cabaye recently. ;)

Yup, but Chelsea are linked with the other French player, Hatem Ben Arfa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom