• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Vertonghen agreed with Tottenham, Ajax agreed with Tottenham. Ajax is still bitching with Vertonghen about a possible percentage of the transferfee. So he will be a Spurs player in 2/3 days.

I don't understand this. Apparently they don't want to pay him his share of the transfer fee that he's supposedly entitled.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't understand this. Apparently they don't want to pay him his share of the transfer fee that he's supposedly entitled.

It's just them being petty because Levy presumably haggled them down to the bare minimum on the transfer fee. It's absurd that they are bitching about the a clause in the contract that they drew up for him.

Lightning

Banned
Of course we won, but against who? WC2010, yeah we entered the final. We won barely against Japan, got lucky with an own goal against Denmark, just won from Slovenia and we played ONE GREAT HALF against Brazil. Poor match against Uruguay and we lost from Spain.

And the qualifications, don't get me started. Yeah we won from countries like Moldavia! and San Marino!

Last good Dutch match was EC2008.
You're being cynical. Teams make their own luck. We may have played a match against a good Uruguay side but we scored 3 goals and won and you complain?

I announced my frustration at the time about how we approached the final is such a negative manner but the fact is we deserved to be there. Yes we were lucky not to draw Germany but we were ranked 2nd in the world based on results not luck. Even if the football we played wasn't to our usual classy standards.

Wessiej

You're being cynical. Teams make their own luck. We may have played a match against a good Uruguay side but we scored 3 goals and won and you complain?

I announced my frustration at the time about how we approached the final is such a negative manner but the fact is we deserved to be there. Yes we were lucky not to draw Germany but we were ranked 2nd in the world based on results not luck. Even if the football we played wasn't to our usual classy standards.

Maybe it's me not liking the NT like anybody else does. I just can't enjoy watching a watch they play, I just can't.

Clegg

Fuck that shit. RVP is a fantastic leader and the best player in the Dutch squad. They obviously wound him up and didn't show the proper respect because he doesn't act that way with us and all his arsenal colleagues have nothing but nice things to say.

So the sun shines out of RVPs arse and everyone is a cunt except him.

Pull the other one mate.

Every star in that Dutch squad has a massive ego.

Ushojax

Fuck that shit. RVP is a fantastic leader and the best player in the Dutch squad. They obviously wound him up and didn't show the proper respect because he doesn't act that way with us and all his arsenal colleagues have nothing but nice things to say.

RVP is a dick, though. He always has been, just like Robben, VDV, Sneijder, etc. He's behaved like a twat plenty of times in an Arsenal shirt.

Arnie

Would be a great signing for Spurs if true, and a good replacement for Modric. What's the reputation of Bild? I'd imagine they've probably got a pretty good Hoffenheim source.

Neil Jones ‏@neiljonesecho
I may need a tin hat here, but Gylfi Sigurdsson looks like he is on his way to Tottenham. Hoffenheim yet to confirm, but it looks like it.

LFC will be very disappointed. They were sure they had him ten days ago. Rodgers wanted "chance to show him what (LFC) had to offer".

It either wasn't enough, or what Spurs had to offer was deemed better. Blow to LFC, he's a very good player, and good value too.

Must stress still unconfirmed, at this moment, about Sigurdsson. The sources are pretty strong though.

lol?

Ushojax

Would be a great signing for Spurs if true, and a good replacement for Modric. What's the reputation of Bild? I'd imagine they've probably got a pretty good Hoffenheim source.

He would be a terrible replacement for Modric. Modric is a deep lying playmaker. Sigurdsson plays exactly like VDV, he is not a central midfielder. If he did join, he would take the spot of Kranjcar and Pienaar in the squad and compete with VDV, perhaps replace Bale/Lennon for the last 20 minutes of a game. What Sigurdsson would bring is a freshness to the squad and a real competitor for VDV, he would not play in the middle with Sandro/Huddlestone/Parker/Livermore already being there, assuming Modric leaves.

He would be a terrible replacement for Modric. Modric is a deep lying playmaker. Sigurdsson plays exactly like VDV, he is not a central midfielder. If he did join, he would take the spot of Kranjcar and Pienaar in the squad and compete with VDV, perhaps replace Bale/Lennon for the last 20 minutes of a game.

I wonder if that's what sold him on Spurs.

I wonder what the Sigurdsson thing says about the current state of Liverpool that he'd rather go to a managerless Surs that missed out on Champions League football rather than follow his ex-boss to Anfield despite having a strong relationship with him.

Ushojax

I wonder if that's what sold him on Spurs.

Presumably the contract offer is what sold him, along with the superior playing staff and state of the art new training facility.

I wonder what the Sigurdsson thing says about the current state of Liverpool that he'd rather go to a manager-less Surs that missed out on Champions League football rather than follow his ex-boss to Anfield despite having a strong relationship with him.

Perhaps he has considered how badly Downing, Carroll, Adam, Henderson, etc have done and decided he doesn't want to be lumped in with them.

I had a look on that Liverpool forum (don't judge me). In the Sigurdsson thread someone posted some tweets from some Icelandic dude on twitter that's been insulting Duncan Jenkins and Ben Smith for a few days telling them their info was "old" and he would sign for Spurs.

fake edit: I see Paul-LFC in that thread!

Also, and this is equally unbelievable, some 'doctor' claimed yesterday to have been shown a picture on his bosses mobile of Sigurdsson in a Spurs training top having his medical.

I wonder what the Sigurdsson thing says about the current state of Liverpool that he'd rather go to a managerless Surs that missed out on Champions League football rather than follow his ex-boss to Anfield despite having a strong relationship with him.

Or maybe it says something about the future of Tottenham. You'd assume if he's signing that he would be told about who the new manager is, and what the long term plans for the club are.

Ushojax

I had a look on that Liverpool forum (don't judge me). In the and there's been some Icelandic dude on twitter that's been insulting Duncan Jenkins and Ben Smith for a few days telling them their info was "old" and he would sign for Spurs.

fake edit: I see Paul-LFC in that thread!

Also, and this is equally unbelievable, some 'doctor' claimed yesterday to have been shown a picture on his bosses mobile of Sigurdsson in a Spurs training top having his medical.

1203025570_f.jpg

impact

Banned
I don't see why he'd sign for Spurs when he could get a nice paycheck from Liverpool to play there, unless Rodgers decided he didn't want to be a ass but I doubt that. Plus 10 million isn't alot for a player of his class when you figure that the 15 million Liverpool offered to Adam Johnson was too low.

PS: I'm new, hello everyone. :)

Best username
d75MD.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
barca should do everything they can to buy Mats Hummels, perfect center back for us.

do itttttttttttt.

Presumably the contract offer is what sold him, along with the superior playing staff and state of the art new training facility.

Perhaps he has considered how badly Downing, Carroll, Adam, Henderson, etc have done and decided he doesn't want to be lumped in with them.

Sadly, all excellent points.

Doesn't make it any less depressing for Liverpool fans - I imagine Swans fans will feel justice has been done, however!

Feorax

Doesn't make it any less depressing for Liverpool fans, though I imagine Swans fans will feel justice has been done!

Also concerned that our first act in the transfer window appears to be fucking up a sure thing. Does not bode well at all.

Kyoufu

Doesn't make it any less depressing for Liverpool fans, though I imagine Swans fans will feel justice has been done!

I'm sure life will go on at Swansea Football Club.

Liverpool FC should be the ones P'd off here. They're missing out on a fantastic, shrine hump worthy player.

edit: oh snap, Roberto Rosales is considering offer to join Newcastle.

GorillaJu

Also concerned that our first act in the transfer window appears to be fucking up a sure thing. Does not bode well at all.

Not entirely convinced about this point. If we set a value for the player and another club sets it higher, then it's better to pull out rather than end up paying over the odds. It's one of the reasons we want to have more decision makers instead of just one. If he gets attached to the idea of one player, he might pay too much

Not entirely convinced about this point. If we set a value for the player and another club sets it higher, then it's better to pull out rather than end up paying over the odds. It's one of the reasons we want to have more decision makers instead of just one. If he gets attached to the idea of one player, he might pay too much

Case in point: Downing, etc.

You got Joe Cole. Let us have this one!

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague
In Spain it is being reported that Didier Drogba is arriving tomorrow to Barcelona to sign for FC Barcelona

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague
Drogba has got a clause that allows him to leave Shangai Shenhua for free if Barcelona came calling. He will meet the Spanish club tomorrow

How funny would this be!?

Arnie

I thought you couldn't play for 3 different clubs in 12 months?

Ot: really, really enjoying mad men. I'm kind of surprised.
Good lad. My mum watched about 8 episodes of it today as she was off sick from work. Season 3 finale is the best hour of television, of all time.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
drogba will only come if he is willing to lower his wages and accept a secondary role in the team.

Wes

venison crêpe
Aston Villa apparently closing in on signing Feyenoord defensive midfielder El Ahmadi for 2.8m euros.

PaulLFC

Just woke up from a nap (yeah at nearly 1am, good idea that was) to see the Sigurdsson news. Don't know how to feel about it yet, we're seemingly a long way from the days of our transfer business being conducted in the media (thankfully), so I'll wait and see who he signs for. I'm sure we have other targets lined up in the case that he does choose Spurs, and rumour has it Aquilani is staying next season too (I'll believe that when he's still a Liverpool player when the transfer window closes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom