• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Nobody should feel shame about browsing RAWK's transfer thread. It's deeply comic.

My father once told me that nothing's a waste of time so long as you're having fun. He's a wise man, my dad. In this instance though that statement doesn't ring true.

Fans of rival clubs reading a Liverpool transfer thread, no matter how disillusioned some of the posters inside may be should be wholly embarrassed.

And I don't say that as some great RAWK defender, as if the place has any honour for which I can protect. I don't have an account. I view videos there, find photoshops, and, occasionally read some transfer rumblings.

But surely people have better things to do. Read a book. Go outside. Watch highlights of Carragher and Keane talking shit about England. Write a poem. Ad infinitum.
Also exactly what is so laughable about the RAWK transfer forum? I'm reading the threads now and I can't even find anything that by your standards would seem so odd. Certainly nothing crazier than the Euro thread here (or this one at times).

Are you laughing about the fact that there's a thread on James Rodriguez, in spite of the fact that everyone understands the chance of him coming is 0 and the link that's been made is likely bullshit?
I think the idea of Liverpool fans talking positively is just too much for people to stomach, so there's a default reaction, which usually attempts to undermine the entire community as some sort of moronic, blabbering mental asylum. It's a fallacy, of course. There's nothing more out of the ordinary on that forum as their are in hundreds of other club specific forums on the internet, it's the added Liverpool element that gets some people bubbling.

GorillaJu

My father once told me that nothing's a waste of time so long as you're having fun. He's a wise man, my dad. In this instance though that statement doesn't ring true.

Fans of rival clubs reading a Liverpool transfer thread, no matter how disillusioned some of the posters inside may be should be wholly embarrassed.

And I don't say that as some great RAWK defender, as if the place has any honour for which I can protect. I don't have an account. I view videos there, find photoshops, and, occasionally read some transfer rumblings.

But surely people have better things to do. Read a book. Go outside. Watch highlights of Carragher and Keane talking shit about England. Write a poem. Ad infinitum.

Pretentious, but I agree. I simply don't get the entertainment value of browsing forums for fans of other teams. Just seems like a complete waste of time.

Salazar

But surely people have better things to do. Read a book. Go outside . . .

It's raining outside. And I am intermittently tidying up some references.

It's not the disillusionment that amuses me. Not at all. It's the optimists. The genuinely mental buggers.

GorillaJu

It's raining outside. And I am intermittently tidying up some references.

It's not the disillusionment that amuses me. Not at all. It's the optimists. The genuinely mental buggers.

The only aggravating thing is when fans think its their job to decide who should be bought and sold based on knee jerk reactions and not considering all the variables.

Like people who want to sell Andy Carroll for peanuts when his stock was at his absolute lowest, for no good reason other than to get him off the books, as if to punish him for letting them down. This isn't a RAWK thing though. It happens here too.

rodvik

Aston Villa apparently closing in on signing Feyenoord defensive midfielder El Ahmadi for 2.8m euros.

zzz...WHA??? Villa signing?!!

I dont know anything about him but we need DM's for sure. In fact we need a LOT of midfield signings.

193302471-emre_can_getty.9.jpg

(Emre Can, promoted from the reserves)

:D

I was really impressed with Emre Can at the u17 world cup. It's no surprise that he's being promoted.

Edit: Also Chicha's sister

https://twitter.com/#!/Zhich14

GorillaJu

Am I crazy for being excited for the Spain v Portugal semi-final? I just can't help some crazy unfounded hope that we'll see some dramatic last minute brilliance to knock Spain out, just like Barça getting punted off their throne in the CL.

jtb

Banned
Am I crazy for being excited for the Spain v Portugal semi-final? I just can't help some crazy unfounded hope that we'll see some dramatic last minute brilliance to knock Spain out, just like Barça getting punted off their throne in the CL.

Nah. Both semis should be great - Portugal actually have some attacking intent this time around, and possess a solid midfield, probably the best defense of the tournament, and a Ronaldo who has found some form. And, if there's one weakness that Spain has it's their (or at least Barcelona's) inability to deal with crosses/balls over the top effectively - precisely the kind of crosses and space behind the defense that Ronaldo thrives on. should be a fantastic clash of styles.

at the very least, we can't possibly get a match as dire as their 2010 WC match, could we?

IceCold

Of course not. It's the Iberian derby. Should be good, but I hope nothing crazy or nasty happens.

GorillaJu

I wouldn't mind at all if Spain won – I just want to see them struggle and squirm a bit. The nonchalance that theyve been swaggering about with is getting tiresome. I want to see a real fight.

GorillaJu

Another report that we and the Mancs are bidding for James Rodriguez hitting the news. Even if nothing came off but it ended up being a real effort I'd be thrilled with the club's ambition in signing this type of player.

Another young player who simply must consider his future is Josh McEachren. He's way too good to be where he is at Chelsea. His name should be being mentioned alongside Jack Wilshere not reserve match score lines. -___-

Clegg

If United have a choice between Rodriguez and Nani, I'd rather we got Nani to sign his contract extension.

Rodriguez has a lot of potential but Nani is just getting into the prime of his career.

Most Liverpool fans would probably find it quite amusing if Utd spent £25+mil on a 4th choice winger.

You may be right in a sense but we do need a fourth winger nonetheless. Rotating 3 wingers next season (even supposing the miracle situation in which they stay fit) would be a fucking farce.

Clegg

Rodriguez is a very good player though. He also has the potential to get much better.

I imagine he'd be ahead of Ashley Young within 6 months of signing.

Hopefully we pull something out of the bag like Rafa occasionally did. Not like getting our first choices has done us much good since 2008 :p

I'd not be bothered if we could be guaranteed that Aquilani would be arsed to stay and at least act like he wants to play for us. There's a tremendous player in there, fuck knows how we're gonna get it out of him though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom