• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So Arsenal have signed 2 strikers already.

They seem to have forgotten how bad their defenders are, though their non-RVP strikers were horrendous as well. Who will be stupid enough to buy Chamakh, I wonder...

That's probably not that much then.

Looks like that Mjolnir4 guy on twitter was bang on with his info. Where does this leave Duncan "hullo mates" Jenkins?

I won't be celebrating yet. The standard of reporting these days is garbage, it could all be total bullshit that started on Twitter and was picked up by a bunch of lazy hacks. Until I see something on the official site, it's not happening.

PaulLFC

That's probably not that much then.

Looks like that Mjolnir4 guy on twitter was bang on with his info. Where does this leave Duncan "hullo mates" Jenkins?
Nothing is confirmed yet. We can't discredit one person's Twitter info with nothing to go on except more Twitter info.

Nothing is confirmed yet. We can't discredit one person's Twitter info with nothing to go on except more Twitter info.

Well he would have to make a massive u-turn now. I'm not saying people should have believed this guy. But he was getting mocked quite a bit in that thread.

They should make a new league and call it the twat league, then put every player who's a total twat in it.

Starting with Barton, Nasri and Young.

PaulLFC

Well he would have to make a massive u-turn now. I'm not saying people should have believed this guy. But he was getting mocked quite a bit in that thread.
That's assuming he's decided on Spurs. I think he has, but nothing has confirmed it. Until it's on the official site of whoever's signed him, we won't know. And he was getting mocked for doing the whole "You're believing HIM over ME?!" routine when he had about 20 followers and 2 weeks earlier had been asking Duncan for info on the transfer.

Labadal

A missed opportunity. Should have offered him good wages. I know Gylfi hasn't played much in the PL, but what I saw of him was impressive.

PaulLFC

A missed opportunity. Should have offered him good wages. I know Gylfi hasn't played much in the PL, but what I saw of him was impressive.
For all we know we could have offered him good wages, Spurs just offered more. No point offering him ridiculous wages, he's a good player but isn't yet world class, he would have had plenty of time to earn improved contracts if he showed good form with us. Seems he wants money now even if we do have the manager who he apparently wanted to play for and he'd arguably find it easier to get a starting place in our team than Spurs' currently.

Labadal

They should make a new league and call it the twat league, then put every player who's a total twat in it.

Starting with Barton, Nasri and Young.

Most teams have twats. We should just rename them.

Twatterham
Twatternal
Twatchester City
Twatchester United
Twatterpool
Twatcastle
Twatsea

Doen and done. Welcome to the Twat League.

Labadal

For all we know we could have offered him good wages, Spurs just offered more. No point offering him ridiculous wages, he's a good player but isn't yet world class, he would have had plenty of time to earn improved contracts if he showed good form with us. Seems he wants money now even if we do have the manager who he apparently wanted to play for and he'd arguably find it easier to get a starting place in our team than Spurs' currently.

You're right. I'm just sad to see a hot prospect like that signing for another club in the same league. We need a player like that, but if he doesn't want to join us, there are always other options. I could see Suarez getting played in that position.

Johnson/Kelly
Agger/Carra
Skrtel/Coates
Enrique/Robinson (I'd like a new LB)

Lucas/Adam
Gerrard/Shelvey

Downing/Bellamy
Suarez/Henderson
Maxi/Sterling

Carroll/???

fuenf

Btw, bayern gaf, imagine we would have won the CL final! It still hurts :/

That's the reason i cant get excited for the damn Euros. :( Just cant take a disappointment like that again, everything seemed so perfect after Neuer converted the penalty...

Well there's alway hope for Wembley 2013 but it would be really hard to root for Robben again.

PaulLFC

You're right. I'm just sad to see a hot prospect like that signing for another club in the same league.
I won't deny I'll be disappointed if he doesn't sign for us, but the disappointment's been lessened a bit now it seems he's just gone there for the money.

Edit: Hmmmmm. Don't know if this guy is reliable, he's apparnetly "an Irish Examiner Gaelic games correspondent, and Liverpool supporter."

John Fogarty ‏@JohnFogartyIrl
Sigurdsson #LFC transfer still on. Hoffenheim want bigger fee. Ramirez' agent talking to #LFC & other Prem club over next couple of days.

*off to find some straws to clutch*

snoopen

If RvP goes i'm sure he'll either continue his Netherlands euro form or get injured for a whole season and quickly sold on again..

I won't deny I'll be disappointed if he doesn't sign for us, but the disappointment's been lessened a bit now it seems he's just gone there for the money.

If he's a United fan then he probably doesn't see the same things in Liverpool as you guys do. He was all set to go back to Swansea whilst Rodgers was still there.

sohois

You're right. I'm just sad to see a hot prospect like that signing for another club in the same league. We need a player like that, but if he doesn't want to join us, there are always other options. I could see Suarez getting played in that position.

Johnson/Kelly
Agger/Carra
Skrtel/Coates
Enrique/Robinson (I'd like a new LB)

Lucas/Adam
Gerrard/Shelvey

Downing/Bellamy
Suarez/Henderson
Maxi/Sterling

Carroll/???

I'm not too bothered if Sigurrdson goes to Tottenham; whilst it would have been a good signing it's not one that seemed to be particularly needed by Liverpool, particularly with Aquilani available.

Wingers, A defensive midfielder and back-up LB all seemed to be more pressing than a deal for Sigurrdson.

PaulLFC

If he's a United fan then he probably doesn't see the same things in Liverpool as you guys do. He was all set to go back to Swansea whilst Rodgers was still there.
But surely the fact he wanted to join Swansea when Rodgers was manager makes it even more puzzling that he's likely not signing for us now? He supposedly rejected Swansea because Rodgers left, Rodgers is now managing us, yet he now suddenly wants to go to Spurs. Has to be a money decision, imo.

I'm not too bothered if Sigurrdson goes to Tottenham; whilst it would have been a good signing it's not one that seemed to be particularly needed by Liverpool, particularly with Aquilani available.

Wingers, A defensive midfielder and back-up LB all seemed to be more pressing than a deal for Sigurrdson.

This man gets it.

Yen

Edit: Hmmmmm. Don't know if this guy is reliable, he's apparnetly "an Irish Examiner Gaelic games correspondent, and Liverpool supporter."

John Fogarty ‏@JohnFogartyIrl
Sigurdsson #LFC transfer still on. Hoffenheim want bigger fee. Ramirez' agent talking to #LFC & other Prem club over next couple of days.

That's fortunate, son.

In all seriousness, he's a gaelic games correspondent in Ireland. What the hell would he know about what Gaston Ramirez' agent is doing, or where Sigurdsson is going? He's about as in the know as Andrew Castle is.

So Arsenal have signed 2 strikers already.

Podolski will play left-wing, mostly.

gun__1340701872_Giroud_19_120625PAFC.jpg

Would.

Here's an amazing "Welcome to Arsenal" comp for Giroud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm-wK9yZKUI

They seem to have forgotten how bad their defenders are, though their non-RVP strikers were horrendous as well. Who will be stupid enough to buy Chamakh, I wonder...

Which defenders in-particular?

elseanio

Not so sure of that. Regardless of Brendan leaving Swans for Liverpool, I think his head would have been turned anyway with the offers from LFC and Spurs

PaulLFC

That's fortunate, son.

In all seriousness, he's a gaelic games correspondent in Ireland. What the hell would he know about what Gaston Ramirez' agent is doing, or where Sigurdsson is going? He's about as in the know as Andrew Castle is.
You don't know that though. Nobody knows what anybody knows. Wait and see.

GorillaJu

Ben Smith is pretty reliable for info, though, and if he's claiming that Liverpool are out, then I'd say it's pretty clear Liverpool are out.

PaulLFC

Ben Smith is pretty reliable for info, though, and if he's claiming that Liverpool are out, then I'd say it's pretty clear Liverpool are out.
Yep, he's reliable. But he's saying it "looks like" Spurs have beaten us to signing him, last week he was saying the deal to us was "all but done". Could still change yet, I guess. No doubt we'll have other targets lined up if he does choose Spurs in the end.

But surely the fact he wanted to join Swansea when Rodgers was manager makes it even more puzzling that he's likely not signing for us now? He supposedly rejected Swansea because Rodgers left, Rodgers is now managing us, yet he now suddenly wants to go to Spurs. Has to be a money decision, imo.

It's obvious Rodgers was part of reason for signing for Swansea. But if he's decided to look elsewhere then that doesn't mean he's limited to wherever Rodgers goes. Money will always be a factor, but I'd like to think he was sold by Levy on more than just that.

PaulLFC

Breaking (from 40 minutes ago): Gylfi's dad, Sigurdur Adalsteinsson has just interviewed on an Icelandic radio station and what he said was that Gylfi enjoyed working under Brendan Rodgers,and this matter will be resolved by this weekend. However we do understand that the spurs offer is still but according to his dad he has NOT decided on anything yet.

GorillaJu

It's obvious Rodgers was part of reason for signing for Swansea. But if he's decided to look elsewhere then that doesn't mean he's limited to wherever Rodgers goes. Money will always be a factor, but I'd like to think he was sold by Levy on more than that.

"We don't have a manager, but we're looking at an egomaniac who can't manage his players and another less egotistic manager who also can't manage his players. And we're selling our best player to Real Madrid."

Fantastic sell there.

Wasn't it Ben Smith who was going on just yesterday about the deal being close to sorted with Liverpool?

Yeah. But his tone is telling in this instance.

PaulLFC

Gazzetta Dello Sport & Sky Italia say Liverpool have made a £15m bid for Gastón Ramírez backing up what @johnfogartyirl said earlier.

I'd heard rumours a week or so ago of other offers much higher than that, but we shall see.

Yen

"We don't have a manager, but we're looking at an egomaniac who can't manage his players and another less egotistic manager who also can't manage his players. And we're selling our best player to Real Madrid."

Fantastic sell there.

"but but but, we have a new training ground!!"

You don't know that though. Nobody knows what anybody knows. Wait and see.

You are really clutching at straws if the man who is bringing you news on Ger Canning is the man bringing your transfer exclusives.

Fantastic sell there.

If he signs for us then I'll do one of them for Liverpool!

Matt Spiro ‏@mattspiro
Have heard from two seperate, reliable sources that Wenger has ended interest in Yann M'Vila due to players behaviour in last few months

The player has agreed terms with Arsenal and a fee has been agreed between Arsenal and Rennes. I would be very suprised if the deal was to fall through now..

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Which defenders in-particular?

Santos, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Djourou, Squillaci. Sagna has also had two leg breaks in a year and looks shaky defensively. Szczesny is also gaffe-prone and needs an experienced back-up. Had it not been for RVP, those clowns would have seen you finish well outside the top 4, they are not reliable defenders and sides like Norwich and Wigan were making even Vermaelen and Koscielny look utterly stupid towards the end of the season.

Fantastic sell there.

lol just following your lead

I would imagine the state of the art new training facility, 3 straight finishes above Liverpool (the latest 4th place by almost 20 points), and superior playing staff all had something to do with it as well. As did the contract.

GorillaJu

Gazzetta Dello Sport & Sky Italia say Liverpool have made a £15m bid for Gastón Ramírez backing up what @johnfogartyirl said earlier.

I'd heard rumours a week or so ago of other offers much higher than that, but we shall see.

Saw this on Salazar's start-page. Also that the Gylf deal isn't off yet, at least not entirely. I'd take Ramirez first if given the choice - he's going to be a cracking player. Both players are very good shooters.

What do you think of the Lacina Traore bit? Don't think we'd go for a colossal 22 year old Ivorian when we have a colossal 22 year old Geordie

Santos, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Djourou, Squillaci. Sagna has also had two leg breaks in a year and looks shaky defensively.
Yeh Sagna never looked shaky defensively, easily one of the best RB's in the EPL and the difference when he is out of the side is massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom