• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

joachim-loew-bastian-schweinsteiger-600.jpg

what happened to löw? he looks like he aged 20 years in just 2 days

Italy happened.

EDIT: Should have read further, beaten by Yurt.

Kyoufu

He does. I'll give Newcastle some credit, their scouting team seems to have their head in the game when it comes to players, even if they don't always get them.

EDIT: That Lime Green kit is ew.

We'd be a top 4 club if we had the money to buy players. Unfortunately we only have a budget of 20 million this summer, so it'll be difficult to get who we want. Luuk De Jong will cost at least 12 million and Debuchy will cost at least 7.

Gotta be honest that like green Newcastle kit doesn't tickle my fancy at all. And I'm pretty easy to please on kit designs.

I'm very easy to please also, yet this one is shite. I like the orange/red ones better.

PaulLFC

John Fogarty as back again, I think we already knew this much though, except the possible Rodriguez bit:

Sigurdsson wants to join #LFC. Fee is actually agreed. Payment structure to be discussed. Re Rodriguez, deal on table.

I assume the "to be discussed" could mean "Spurs have offered me more money so what can you offer me, else I'll go there"

Carbonox

We'd be a top 4 club if we had the money to buy players. Unfortunately we only have a budget of 20 million this summer, so it'll be difficult to get who we want. Luuk De Jong will cost at least 12 million and Debuchy will cost at least 7.

I still can't find where this supposed 20m budget is set in stone. It's not referenced anywhere on the 'net.

As for De Jong replacing Ba, Ba wants to stay, Pardew wants him to stay, he could very well stay. Either way De Jong coming in is unrelated to Ba's situation as we need 3 good strikers anyway. :\ If Ba ends up getting sold then it wouldn't solve our striker-less situation.

pappe

John Fogarty as back again, I think we already knew this much though, except the possible Rodriguez bit:

Sigurdsson wants to join #LFC. Fee is actually agreed. Payment structure to be discussed. Re Rodriguez, deal on table.

I assume the "to be discussed" could mean "Spurs have offered me more money so what can you offer me, else I'll go there"

Yea i guess you are right. Fee is agreed by Hoffenheim or whatever. Sigurdsson is now negotiating his contract.

Arnie

Yea i guess you are right. Fee is agreed by Hoffenheim or whatever. Sigurdsson is now negotiating his contract.

The rumours are that Gylfi's agent was in London to finalise a contract with Spurs, and then he flew back. So that makes it sound as if he isn't interested in negotiating with Liverpool and Spurs offered him a very good deal.

Kyoufu

The player who just beat Robson on the Tennis looked like the love child of Nasri and Ozil.

Scary.

You weren't joking...

imgFrancesca%2BSchiavone7.jpg

I still can't find where this supposed 20m budget is set in stone. It's not referenced anywhere on the 'net.

As for De Jong replacing Ba, Ba wants to stay, Pardew wants him to stay, he could very well stay. Either way De Jong coming in is unrelated to Ba's situation as we need 3 good strikers anyway. :\ If Ba ends up getting sold then it wouldn't solve our striker-less situation.

It's just what I've read on the majority of blogs/sites. 20 million seems fair doesn't it? Have we ever spent more during the summer? I mean, we haven't sold anyone yet.

Regarding De Jong, like I said, he's our Leon Best replacement (while being better than Best surely...). The thing with Ba though is, does he really want to play on the left side? He didn't score a single goal in that position.

Salazar

That tennis lass scares me.

And I am worryingly easy to please when it comes to sweat-soaked and somewhat muscular tennis ladies.

dc89

Talking of Nasri it's his birthday today.

But today has more a more sobering anniversary.

9 years ago Mark Vivien-Foe collapsed on the field and died. He wasn't signed to City, but he was regarded as one of the clubs own by the fans, players and everyone who has anything to do with City. He was known as the gentleman of football.

He was the last player to score a goal at Maine Road and he has a remembrance garden at The Etihad, that says all you need to know.

PaulLFC

The rumours are that Gylfi's agent was in London to finalise a contract with Spurs, and then he flew back. So that makes it sound as if he isn't interested in negotiating with Liverpool and Spurs offered him a very good deal.
More rumours today though that his dad has said he's undecided. Seems like nobody in the media really knows what's going on, and we're going through the usual transfer saga routine now.

bjaelke

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
Uefa opens disciplinary proceedings against Spain and Russia for "improper conduct" of their supporters

Any nations that haven't been fined by Uefa?

I'm starting to get the feeling that Sigurdsson might be considered a replacement for VDV. I think Schalke are interested and it can't be easy for him and his son with his wife working in Germany all the time. He seems to love the club, but considering he'll be 30 before long I get the feeling that Levy will accept a decent offer for him if we get one. And as much as I love him I would probably say it's the right decision. Let's hope that I'm wrong and no one makes a decent offer!

Carbonox

It's just what I've read on the majority of blogs/sites. 20 million seems fair doesn't it? Have we ever spent more during the summer? I mean, we haven't sold anyone yet.

Regarding De Jong, like I said, he's our Leon Best replacement (while being better than Best surely...). The thing with Ba though is, does he really want to play on the left side? He didn't score a single goal in that position.

Hmm, last season we spent just over 20m on 8 players:

Abeid: Free
Ba: Free
Marveaux: Free
Cabaye: 4m
Obertan: 3m
Santon: 5m
Cisse: 8m
Elliot: 300k

I'd imagine we could stretch to 25m/30m depending on how much we get Debuchy and De Jong for. If we spend 19m on just those two, then we could easily score a new CM and CB without spending more than 6m roughly, if we play it right.

Arnie

More rumours today though that his dad has said he's undecided. Seems like nobody in the media really knows what's going on, and we're going through the usual transfer saga routine now.

Whilst there's rumours for all possibilities, I'm much more inclined to believe those from the BBC or the Echo, which indicates that Glyfi's agent was in the country yesterday, not to sign for LFC and that Spurs offered a third more in wages.

It's not over though, just the day before that it was Ben Smith who was tweeting how the deal was nearly done with LFC.

Strange one but I think we'll see a conclusion within 48 hours.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Sigurdsson might be considered a replacement for VDV. I think Schalke are interested and it can't be easy for him and his son with his wife working in Germany all the time. He seems to love the club, but considering he'll be 30 before long I get the feeling that Levy will accept a decent offer for him if we get one. And as much as I love him I would probably say it's the right decision. Let's hope that I'm wrong and no one makes a decent offer!
Seems that way. Whilst he's been excellent for you, I think you're best selling now whilst he's still got some resale value.

Kyoufu

Hmm, last season we spent just over 20m on 8 players:

Abeid: Free
Ba: Free
Marveaux: Free
Cabaye: 4m
Obertan: 3m
Santon: 5m
Cisse: 8m
Elliot: 300k

I'd imagine we could stretch to 25m/30m depending on how much we get Debuchy and De Jong for. If we spend 19m on just those two, then we could easily score a new CM and CB without spending more than 6m roughly, if we play it right.

We sold Carroll for 35 million though. We haven't sold anyone this time.

Carbonox

We sold Carroll for 35 million though. We haven't sold anyone this time.

True. Still, 25m is a comfortable number for Ashley to pony up if he's serious about maintaining Newcastle as a top 6 Euro-qualifying club. Otherwise we might as well give up now. We won't copy last season's success with the same squad.

Kyoufu

That transfer still haunts me when I close my eyes.

That was really a masterstroke by Ashley. Without that sale we probably wouldn't be in the position we are right now.

True. Still, 25m is a comfortable number for Ashley to pony up if he's serious about maintaining Newcastle as a top 6 Euro-qualifying club. Otherwise we might as well give up now. We won't copy last season's success with the same squad.

Agreed. We have already signed Amalfitano on a free. He could really surprise people next season.

*should* be getting Debuchy too and then once we get another Striker I think we'd need a CB to compete with Saylor. We'd be pretty much sorted then. Anita would be an awesome purchase too.

It's like nicking things from a village in an RPG. We know your game, you cheeky prat.

Haha.

PaulLFC

Whilst there's rumours for all possibilities, I'm much more inclined to believe those from the BBC or the Echo, which indicates that Glyfi's agent was in the country yesterday, not to sign for LFC and that Spurs offered a third more in wages.

It's not over though, just the day before that it was Ben Smith who was tweeting how the deal was nearly done with LFC.
Ben Smith seemed to pick up the "he's signing for LFC" story right after Duncan Jenkins said it, although they may well have different sources. The Spurs interest was also reported in the Mirror and Bild before he reported it. I have a feeling the vast majority of journalists report the same stuff a lot of the time, and their rumours and "information from sources" change all the time. We'll see who knows what when he signs I guess.

Kyoufu

I still can't believe there were people in Newcastle that didn't want to sell him :lol :lol

That's just how loyal we are at Tyneside. We love our players and always hate to see them go, especially when they do well for us.

I've given Carroll stick in the past but tbh, I like him. He's still got the potential to be a great player.

Arnie

Ben Smith seemed to pick up the "he's signing for LFC" story right after Duncan Jenkins said it, although they may well have different sources. The Spurs interest was also reported in the Mirror and Bild before he reported it. I have a feeling the vast majority of journalists report the same stuff a lot of the time, and their rumours and "information from sources" change all the time. We'll see who knows what when he signs I guess.
True. Ben Smith has been accused of repeating what others have said, in the past. It certainly wouldn't be astonishing, although I think these recent developments don't look good for us.
Still class. :)

181266_10150859847202447_1993954459_n.jpg
If we paid, say, £15 million for him I'd be more open to seeing his flashes of brilliance as a sign of inherent class. For £35 million all I see are his mishit passes, his clumsiness in front of goal and his astonishing lack of mobility.

caramac

Yeah, Spurs can't compete with history. He should go Nottingham Forest.

But their history suggests they didn't finish finish above Liverpool the past 3 seasons, unlike Spur's history.
Why would he go there.

He's either going to sign for spurs or go back to Liverpool looking for improved personal terms.

What can Feyenoord and Eresdivisie followers tell me about our (possible) new signing Karim El Ahmadi?

I saw bud mention that he's brilliant. I think that's a good sign :)
I hate to see him leave Feyenoord. He's been crucial in midfield. Curious to see how he holds up in a higher league that is the BPL. As far as I can tell it's a great signing.

Edit: let me add that's he's not a goal scorer at all. He plays the supportive role. Passing and "controlling" (can't think of a better description in English) the field.

That's just how loyal we are at Tyneside. We love our players and always hate to see them go, especially when they do well for us.

I've given Carroll stick in the past but tbh, I like him. He's still got the potential to be a great player.

Oh yeah obviously. Seeing our best players go is never easy, that is unless they've been horribly over-valued and we can make a total killing off them :p

You don't see that. Footy-gaf makes you see it.

Probably the same people that were against renaming your stadium to Sports Direct Arena.

I'm against that shit. I'm fine with selling players for money but fuck selling the stadium name, not that it really matters, I don't think I've heard one person up here call it that apart from ranting about it.

Arnie

What Salazar feels for Cleverley, I feel for this lad. I really hope Rodgers promotes him to Melwood sooner rather than later, preferably before he gets disillusioned and decides to fuck off back to Spain, ala Pacheco.

fuenf

Edit: Oh you support Bayern, I see...

Why does this matter? I just dont like the wankfest over this PK, yeah it was great but it's not like Italy won the cup with that shot. It was a fucking quarterfinal. I'm happy you guys won though.

Arnie

I hope he'll get some game time in pre-season to show what he can do.

The thought of Suso, Shelvey and Aquilani as a midfield diamond in pre-season is salivating. Just a shame we'll default to Adam, Spearing and Henderson when the season begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom