• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

ESPN is so shit. Numerous technical difficulties during the Messi vs World XI game. Ugh.

edit: First goal by Messi. Drogba - Messi partnership for Barca?

iFGHap0AZqKNA.gif

I thought getting a job, having money to go out and getting married would contribute to less fapping. Boy was i wrong.

This is our Portuguese idol presenter... my wife likes to see the show and i have an uncontrollable need to do stuff to this woman.

382469_307690365991895_1728761872_n.jpg

ng2001399.jpg

Looks like Georgie Thompson after getting breast implants, and halfway through a chemical gender change

PaulLFC

Seems it is down to wages:

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
@Musker_LFC its the contract offer mates not the bid, #lfc thought everything was in hand but spurs have blown them out of the #water.

I'm confident that if Rodgers wants to sign him that badly, we'll match or beat Spurs' offer. It wouldn't be a very good sign to not back your new manager in the transfer market with his first signing, and someone he is, or was, obviously interested in signing. I think now it'll come down to whether Brendan thinks the wage increase is worth it, or whether he feels we can get better value elsewhere. That'll determine whether we up our contract offer or not, imo.

Wes

venison crêpe
Sky Sports running a story that El Ahmadi of Feynoord himself said he is moving to Aston Villa.

Also reports that Whittingham is coming back to Villa in exchange for cash + Gardner on a year long loan.

Sky Sports running a story that El Ahmadi of Feynoord himself said he is moving to Aston Villa.

Also reports that Whittingham is coming back to Villa in exchange for cash + Gardner on a year long loan.

Is this Peter Whittingham? It may be worth it if we get Gardner back after the loan. He'll get more playing time there although I think we should loan him to a PL side that would give him 1st team ball. How is Whittingham for Carfiff City?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm going to post this here.

He's talking about Italy - Korea in 2002..

The Italian diving and the Vieri miss lost them the match. The only thing wrong with that tournament was Blatter's pandering to European countries' arrogant sense of superiority, Guus Hiddink had built a strong team who were playing in their home country and they deservedly reached the semi-finals with hard work and some real inventive football in open play.

Joking about what?

That Italy lost the match because Vieri missed two open goals? or that Italy found the extra time period difficult because Totti was sent off for diving? even though you could tell from the kick off the referee wasn't going to give anything for theatrics.

That was a quality world cup display by South Korea, some of the goals they scored were amazing especially the goal Park Ji Sung scored against Portugal, it was "C Ronaldo-esque".

South Korea were a strong side in the competition, but the usual suspects of the tournament complained when they didn't rollover and let them win.

Wes

venison crêpe
Is this Peter Whittingham? It may be worth it if we get Gardner back after the loan. He'll get more playing time there although I think we should loan him to a PL side that would give him 1st team ball. How is Whittingham for Carfiff City?

He's been one of their top players since he went there. Regular assists and a sprinkling of goals but this was at Championship level. We'll have to see how this pans out.

He's been one of their top players since he went there. Regular assists and a sprinkling of goals but this was at Championship level. We'll have to see how this pans out.

Yea, that echoes my thoughts about this deal. Especially at the risk of losing Gardner for a year.

Talon

There is a lot of Korean delusion about the quality of their side. Italy was robbed. Spain was robbed.

Says the Korean. I'm a little optimistic that guys like Park Chu Young and Lee Chung Yong are an indication that the team is improving in skill, but we'll be piss poor in the back four forever.

Kem0sabe

Those are some of the worst and most obviously fake tits I've ever seen. No thanks.

Dunno why but i like her and her fake titties. :(

It´s a cruel twist of fate that i love titties but the women i will hopefully spend the rest of my life with doesn´t have much to show for hers. :|

faridmon

I just bought a ''chmpoions of Europe'' top for my brother who is a Chelsea fan. Above it, it had a sign saying '' Remember: All the money will go straight to your favourite club''. I felt disgusted since I have contributed to the money that will buy Fellaini from us.

Anyway, I feel an Italian upset might be imminent this Thursday. Come on Azzuri!

Liverpool missing out on Sigurdsson is a bad miss for them. I'm not sure how great a player he is (though certainly he would be great for Liverpool and at least good for Spurs) but he is obviously somebody they really want and now they look like losing him.

Spurs must be offering a better contract deal to him and if it's above what Liverpool value him at...that's fair enough, but you have to wonder what Liverpool are willing to offer. Spurs don't pay massive wages, isn't their highest earner on something like £70k/week?

Anyhow, even with wages level I can see Sigurdsson choosing to go to Tottenham. They're quite well placed at the moment and probably have a good manager lined up. The club is showing forward thinking ambition and at least trying to back it up which I'm not sure Liverpool have done so far. Besides that Spurs are a better team and have shown that over the last few years.

PaulLFC

Reynir Elís Þorvalds ‏@Ramboinn 2 hours ago
Gylfi er 99% að fara í Liverpool. Bara eftir að ganga frá árángurstengdum bónusum of svoleiðis. Búinn að velja. #Fact

Gylfi is 99% to go to Liverpool. Just to finalize Incentives Bonuses of like that. Been set. #Fact

Another twist...

Liverpool missing out on Sigurdsson is a bad miss for them. I'm not sure how great a player he is (though certainly he would be great for Liverpool and at least good for Spurs) but he is obviously somebody they really want and now they look like losing him.

Spurs must be offering a better contract deal to him and if it's above what Liverpool value him at...that's fair enough, but you have to wonder what Liverpool are willing to offer. Spurs don't pay massive wages, isn't their highest earner on something like £70k/week?

Anyhow, even with wages level I can see Sigurdsson choosing to go to Tottenham. They're quite well placed at the moment and probably have a good manager lined up. The club is showing forward thinking ambition and at least trying to back it up which I'm not sure Liverpool have done so far. Besides that Spurs are a better team and have shown that over the last few years.
I think it depends on how badly Rodgers wants him. As I said earlier, not backing your new manager in the transfer market would not be a good sign at all. I think if Rodgers wants him, we'll increase our contract offer. If he feels we can get better value elsewhere, we won't. If the offers are level, I think he'd choose us, but obviously I'm biased. I just think that the Rodgers connection and arguably a better chance of getting into the first team regularly would swing it for us if the wages were comparable.

ibbqucQ6k1oFuw.gif

There is a lot of Korean delusion about the quality of their side. Italy was robbed. Spain was robbed.

Says the Korean. I'm a little optimistic that guys like Park Chu Young and Lee Chung Yong are an indication that the team is improving in skill, but we'll be piss poor in the back four forever.

I'm personally looking out for Kim Bo-Kyung, Son Heung-Min, and Ki Sung-Yueng.

elsk

Banned
Reynir Elís Þorvalds ‏@Ramboinn 2 hours ago
Gylfi er 99% að fara í Liverpool. Bara eftir að ganga frá árángurstengdum bónusum of svoleiðis. Búinn að velja. #Fact

Gylfi is 99% to go to Liverpool. Just to finalize Incentives Bonuses of like that. Been set. #Fact

Another twist...

I kind of trust Bild and SkySports more than some random icelandic guy on twitter.

Arnie

I'm writing something of a similar note now. Will post when I'm done.

bjaelke

I kind of trust Bild and SkySports more than some random icelandic guy on twitter.

He's a journalist for an Icelandic news paper. Not that I trust him on this issue.

And quite frankly I don't care. Gylfi for €8m would be a decent signing for us but I reckon we need other positions covered first.

Kyoufu

He's a journalist for an Icelandic news paper. Not that I trust him on this issue.

And quite frankly I don't care. Gylfi for €8m would be a decent signing for us but I reckon we need other positions covered first.

The fuck? 8 million? That seems pretty low for his talent.

This whole transfer tug of war is pretty hilarious. I'm getting constant texts from a friend updating me on all twitter rumours (conveniently only the pro-Liverpool ones!). The only way this could get funnier is if City decide they want Sigurdsson and offer him £200k per week. Then Liverpool and Spurs can resume the fight to take him on loan next year.

Kyoufu

How will the financial fair play rules factor into all this transfer activity?

Don't think FFP rules come into effect this season. Think it's next year, though I don't really see FIFA banning City, Man United, Liverpool or any other big club from European competitions.

It's a shite rule.

bud

el ahmadi, unlike cleverly, really is xavi and iniesta rolled into one. he'd immediately be one of the most technically gifted players in the premier league.

bjaelke

The fake Alan Shearer confirms it:

Alan Shearer ‏@AlanShearer_
Gylfi Sigurdsson will not be signing for Tottenham. He will be joining Liverpool, Please don't listen to all these unconfirmed reports.

But it looks like Wenger is said to be pissed off with Yann M'Vila's attitude durig the Euros and his reactions to being substuited and is considering pulling the plug on any deal for him.

Yeah I remember Wenger wasn't impressed at all by M'Vila's reaction when he got subbed off against Spain. Lizarazu and him went about it for a while, total lack of respect from Yann, snubbed Laurent Blanc's handshake and started pouting/muttering.

Maybe Arsene is a bit reluctant to deal with classless French divas, can't blame him after what happened with Nasri. At least Giroud doesn't seem the type of guy who will throw a tantrum.

About Gylfi, I can easily see him join the Spurs over Liverpool for reasons that have been posted above. I don't think it's a killer blow though, there are other players out there who could do the same job fine. Just a bit worrying that Liverpool have a hard time attracting a player of his calibre.

nemesun

I'm chuffed to bits about Giroud signing, he's a top quality striker with physical attribute of a giant.

I'm also of an opinion that Chamakh could have been a massive hit in this league if he played for a team who suited his style and had him face the right way and crossed the ball into the box more often than not. And that brings me squarely back to Giroud, I'm afraid he will end up the same if Arsène is planning to take out his fangs and make him face the wrong way.

Kem0sabe

Don't think FFP rules come into effect this season. Think it's next year, though I don't really see FIFA banning City, Man United, Liverpool or any other big club from European competitions.

It's a shite rule.

I think football as a sport would come out better if a wage and transfer cap was implemented. At least it would allow for more competitive European tournaments.

Meier

How will the financial fair play rules factor into all this transfer activity?

In theory, it seems to being at least some effect on City's moves thus far. I'm not sure if whether or not it's FFP itself or just a desire to get closer to profitability in general.

faridmon

It looks like James Wallace have joined Tranmere Rovers for an undeiscloesd fee. It seems there is a mini-revolution going on at Everton. We seem to be getting rid of players that have been lauded in the past (Forshaw, Wallace). Maybe there is some new strategy at place. Hopefully this means that we can get rid of players because of the wage reasons and sign Pianaar on a permenant deal. Also, I wouldn't mind a creative midfielder.

In Bundesliga news, our first match will be against Werder Bremen. Bayern will get free 3 points to start off the season and Gladbach fans are (rightfully!) pretty damn angry because their second match is against their big rival Düsseldorf who was punished to play that match without fans after the relegation drama.

In funny news:
In season 10/11 we played against Nürnberg on matchday 32, we bought Gündogan.
In season 11/12 we played against Gladbach on matchday 32, we bought Reus.
In season 12/13 we'll play against Bayern on matchday 32, we'll buy ???

elsk

Banned
In Bundesliga news, our first match will be against Werder Bremen. Bayern will get free 3 points to start off the season and Gladbach fans are (rightfully!) pretty damn angry because their second match is against their big rival Düsseldorf who was punished to play that match without fans after the relegation drama.

In funny news:
In season 10/11 we played against Nürnberg on matchday 32, we bought Gündogan.
In season 11/12 we played against Gladbach on matchday 32, we bought Reus.
In season 12/13 we'll play against Bayern on matchday 32, we'll buy ???

Robben.

edit: Bremen is more easy to beat, without Pizarro, than Fürth.

Kyoufu

In Bundesliga news, our first match will be against Werder Bremen. Bayern will get free 3 points to start off the season and Gladbach fans are (rightfully!) pretty damn angry because their second match is against their big rival Düsseldorf who was punished to play that match without fans after the relegation drama

Fixtures are horrible for us also. Tottenham then Chelsea. TROLOLOL.

We had horrible end of season fixtures and now we have horrible season opener fixtures. Why do the PL gods hate us? :(

It looks like James Wallace have joined Tranmere Rovers for an undeiscloesd fee. It seems there is a mini-revolution going on at Everton. We seem to be getting rid of players that have been lauded in the past (Forshaw, Wallace). Maybe there is some new strategy at place. Hopefully this means that we can get rid of players because of the wage reasons and sign Pianaar on a permenant deal. Also, I wouldn't mind a creative midfielder.

21Gq1s.jpg

Whatever happened to Baxter? He was supposed to be the next big thing at Everton for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom