• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Don't think FFP rules come into effect this season. Think it's next year, though I don't really see FIFA banning City, Man United, Liverpool or any other big club from European competitions.

It's a shite rule.

Kompany voiced his concerns over FFP on his Twitter saying its destroyed dreams and other teams will simply not be able to compete with the top now because they can't use financial muscle.

I can't wait for the first club to take UEFA to court - experts looked at it and they used Cty as an example and they said they have a very strong case and could win on anti-competition grounds.

faridmon

21Gq1s.jpg

Whatever happened to Baxter? He was supposed to be the next big thing at Everton for a while.

The latest news is that he have been offered a contract extending his stay for 2 more years, and yeah, He is not that good IMO. I personally prefared Wallace and Vaughan to him, but it seems that he plays OK at reserves and Moyes is happy with his progress and keeps loaning him to other clubs just to see his skill improve. Maybe he thinks he is another late bloomer Ala Osman and Hibbert. Apparantly he played decently at Tranmere Rovers, but again, that is a low standard.

Meh...

Speaking of, I always laugh my tits off when I see my cousin in his Everton shirt with 'Barkley' on the back.
You must be amused easily. As much as the media is overrating his skill, He is one of those who has gleam in his eyes and want to improve rather than try hard just to get into the first team which is why most of those lauded youngsters have failed.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kompany voiced his concerns over FFP on his Twitter saying its destroyed dreams and other teams will simply not be able to compete with the top now because they can't use financial muscle.

ivpxRGE4poeVg.gif

If these regulations stop another Rangers/Leeds United fiasco from happening, I don't really care how many oligarchs have to stop throwing their money around. Live within your means. Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and others have shown that it can be done. It's embarrassing watching clubs like City, Anzhi and PSG pissing on the rest of Europe with their cash.

faridmon

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/yoshi2542/ivpxRGE4poeVg.gif[IMG]

If these regulations stop another Rangers/Leeds United fiasco from happening, I don't really care how many oligarchs have to stop throwing their money around. [B]Live within your means. Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and others have shown that it can be done. It's embarrassing watching clubs like City, Anzhi and PSG pissing on the rest of Europe with their cash.[/B][/QUOTE]

Which means that the gap betwen those clubs and the rich ones are just going to get bigger and bigger. Hopefully clubs look hard at Juventus and Dortmund and start managing their club with other means.

Speaking of, I always laugh my tits off when I see my cousin in his Everton shirt with 'Barkley' on the back.

Why? He only 18 and he has a very bright future. I think a lot of people talked him up without seeing him play and those same people are now think he's overrated. All that happened was Moyes benched him. But he started the season ahead of Arteta and Fellaini. Give him time. He'll be a very good player.

Which means that the gap betwen those clubs and the rich ones are just going to get bigger and bigger. Hopefully clubs look hard at Juventus and Dortmund and start managing their club with other means.

Didn't Juventus get a massive cash injection to wipe out their debts, and Dortmund almost go under?

"destroyed dreams"

:lol

FFP isn't perfect but it's a step in the right direction. The money in football right now is unsustainable and thats not good for the sport. Spending needs to be curbed sooner rather than later.

elsk

Banned

Juventus has shit loads of money because of his president(?), so it doesn't really apply. Dortmund yes.

faridmon

Why? He only 18 and he has a very bright future. I think a lot of people talked him up without seeing him play and those same people are now think he's overrated. All that happened was Moyes benched him. But he started the season ahead of Arteta and Fellaini. Give him time. He'll be a very good player.

To be fair that isn't saying much since those two + everyone else were gash, but your point is still valid. He is yound and is at devoloping phase. Media needs to shut their moth before any contribution is made by youngsters. I can already see Willshere being affected by this.

Juventus has shit loads of money because of his president(?), so it doesn't really apply. Dortmund yes.

Now they do, but since coming back to Seria A, their money is generated by smart business sense rather than rich owners.

Off topic, but Anime Gaf is becoming shitter and shitter. Meh...

jtb

Banned
Yeah I remember Wenger wasn't impressed at all by M'Vila's reaction when he got subbed off against Spain. Lizarazu and him went about it for a while, total lack of respect from Yann, snubbed Laurent Blanc's handshake and started pouting/muttering.

Maybe Arsene is a bit reluctant to deal with classless French divas, can't blame him after what happened with Nasri. At least Giroud doesn't seem the type of guy who will throw a tantrum.

About Gylfi, I can easily see him join the Spurs over Liverpool for reasons that have been posted above. I don't think it's a killer blow though, there are other players out there who could do the same job fine. Just a bit worrying that Liverpool have a hard time attracting a player of his calibre.

M'vila (and half the french squad) was classless as fuck in their collapse this time around, but I wouldn't hold it against him. Maybe I'm letting his footballing skill blind me, but he's 21. These kinds of things happen - either they grow older or they don't. Podolski had the same kind of issues when he moved to Bayern and here we are signing him. At the very least, I'm sure M'Vila respects Wenger more than he respects Blanc - so I'd still take him.

Fuck it, I just want M'Vila. We can deal with the fallout later, because there won't be any. Wenger needs to get some common sense and realize RVP and Fabregas were the same way, but he put up with that shit because they were good enough - no need to pretend to take the moral high ground now.

I'm chuffed to bits about Giroud signing, he's a top quality striker with physical attribute of a giant.

I'm also of an opinion that Chamakh could have been a massive hit in this league if he played for a team who suited his style and had him face the right way and crossed the ball into the box more often than not. And that brings me squarely back to Giroud, I'm afraid he will end up the same if Arsène is planning to take out his fangs and make him face the wrong way.

I have the same opinion of Chamakh. Adebayor was a revalation when he was able to play the entire season with a proper support system once Henry left - granted Chamakh was never a prolific goal scorer (nor is he any good with his feet) in Ligue 1, but Giroud can fill that role as clearly can use both his head and his feet. If he's merely a Chamakh replacement, and not meant to replace RVP, I'd be overjoyed. If the system is built around him and Wenger plays him (and not on the fucking wing) up front, maybe with RVP in the hole, then he'll score 20 goals a season, no question. Much more confident about Giroud than Podolski, especially since Podolski will play on the wing and be shit.

And also :lol Nasri facing two year ban from the FFF. That would be glorious, though would sadly also help City's cause greatly. All those dreams...

Didn't Juventus get a massive cash injection to wipe out their debts, and Dortmund almost go under?

Well, I don't think anyone would want to copy our Niebaum/Meier years lol

Since then we've built one hell of an awesome team without making debts and rather paying off loads of them.

Bremen is pure shit now. You could easily score 5 goals against them.
Or not. I have no idea how they'll play next season, could turn out as a very good team, although the players aren't that great individually.

Arnie

You must be amused easily. As much as the media is overrating his skill, He is one of those who has gleam in his eyes and want to improve rather than try hard just to get into the first team which is why most of those lauded youngsters have failed.

Oh, he could become a very good player, but I still wouldn't get him on the back of my shirt if he's only 18. That's like me getting Suso on my shirt, or Sterling, two players who've got minimal first team experience.

There's a Cleverley joke in here somewhere but I'm struggling to dig it out.

faridmon

Oh, he could become a very good player, but I still wouldn't get him on the back of my shirt if he's only 18. That's like me getting Suso on my shirt, or Sterling, two players who've got minimal first team experience.

There's a Cleverley joke in here somewhere but I'm struggling to dig it out.

Fair enough.

Also, I don't rate Siggurdson. yes, he was great at Swansea, but many players were great there and I think Rodgers got the most out of him along with everybody.

"Germany, your punishment must be more severe, I am Euro 2012's reckoning."

I don't think he'll be so great with Schweinsteiger/Khedira on his toes.

Juve is indebted though, probably less so than the other Serie A clubs, but still. Dortmund only has some long-term obligations that you cannot settle before they're due (kind of like a stadium mortgage).
Juve spent some 100m euro before the last season with a net transfer loss of some 75m. We never went beyond 5m transfer loss since the near-bankruptcy.
As much as Juve is a role-model for Serie A, Juve & Dortmund are basically in two different worlds.

Bremen is pure shit now. You could easily score 5 goals against them.
ribery6e09w.jpg

Greg Stobart ‏@gstobart
Nothing official on Sigurdsson until Sun/Mon. Still officially on loan at Swansea. Registration returns to Hoffenheim July 1, then he's sold

Bungieware ‏@Bungieware
@gstobart Sold to Tottenham?

Greg Stobart ‏@gstobart
@Bungieware Yes

There you go...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Phantast2k said:
As much as Juve is a role-model for Serie A, Juve & Dortmund are basically in two different worlds

Also true, but we can (and will) make that money back soon. There's a reason why we're the only Serie A club buying players right now
fxs4U.gif

Our XI is relatively cheap compared to the rest of Europe btw, it's when you count the whole squad where it gets expensive.

elsk

Banned
Also true, but we can (and will) make that money back soon. There's a reason why we're the only Serie A club buying players right now
fxs4U.gif

Our XI is relatively cheap compared to the rest of Europe btw, it's when you count the whole squad where it gets expensive.

Felipe Melo. 25M.

/end

Wilbur

Banned
Jumping in on a few things without quoting anyone because it means rooting for ages.

Sigurdsson stuff is silly, so many unverifiable sources it would do less harm to not mention them. I for one would have a tough choice between the two clubs but in no way should history factor into it; Rodgers and first team opportunities at Liverpool and better recent history as well as potential good manager for spurs will be the sticklers. Also he was good at Reading as well, I rate him.

Kompany quote is fucking hilarious.

Errrrrr what else have I missed? Dortmund to sign Robben, Bayern win Bundesliga

Ashes

Banned
NSFW: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ddleton-actress-lands-role-of-Lara-Croft.html

Did any of you see who will be the new Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider game reboot?

Yesplz. Can't wait to see her on True Blood as well. Inevitable nekkidness gonna gwan there.

What in the flying fuck did the photoshoppers do to amy childs. Of course I clicked the links on the right.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...goes-under-the-knife-for-second-boob-job.html

Blablurn

Jumping in on a few things without quoting anyone because it means rooting for ages.

Sigurdsson stuff is silly, so many unverifiable sources it would do less harm to not mention them. I for one would have a tough choice between the two clubs but in no way should history factor into it; Rodgers and first team opportunities at Liverpool and better recent history as well as potential good manager for spurs will be the sticklers. Also he was good at Reading as well, I rate him.

Kompany quote is fucking hilarious.

Errrrrr what else have I missed? Dortmund to sign Robben, Bayern win Bundesliga

Yes pls

Wilbur

Banned

Or he scores the goal that relegates you.
yes pls

Arnie, good piece; reading it reminded me Cole and Aqua are back. Should hang on to both of them in my opinion, with Maxi and Kuyt out Cole can certainly do a job. I'm of the opinion he should have gone to the Euros over a few of the players that did because he's had a good season; watched him a few times and been impressed. Hodgson's tactics were hardly ones that utilised him effectively, but either side of a striker in a Rodgers 4-3-3 I could see it working. Aqua should be there as well, he'd relish the passing game. I know he hasn't been much of a success but he's the type of player that would be dismissed by Milan as not their class but is perfect for Liverpool right now.

On FM I always try to have 3 goalkeepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 strikers because I remember Mourinho saying that as the perfect size once, so looking through your squad and swapping players like Adam and Spearing for players of a little better quality means that on paper I can see you having a pretty good year next year, certainly ahead of everyone but last year's top 5/6 (depending on Newcastle business).

And Amy Childs is gross.

Kyoufu

PL prediction:

1. City
2. Man United
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal

Would love to see us in the CL but can't see it happening. Tottenham, Newcastle, Everton and Liverpool will be fighting for the Europa spots.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Fair enough.

Also, I don't rate Siggurdson. yes, he was great at Swansea, but many players were great there and I think Rodgers got the most out of him along with everybody.

He was also outstanding when he played at Reading. He's a very tidy player and in time could even be better than someone like Van Der Vaart.

Hixx

NSFW: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ddleton-actress-lands-role-of-Lara-Croft.html

Did any of you see who will be the new Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider game reboot?

Yesplz. Can't wait to see her on True Blood as well. Inevitable nekkidness gonna gwan there.

Oh aye.

-

I feel a bit bad constantly ragging on Craig Gardner after reading this. Top bloke.
If only his feet were as nice as his... brain?

-

Just finished Ballad of Gay Tony for the first time. Don't get why people love it so much... sure it was good and fucking hilarious but I preferred TLaD of the two expansions. I've not played TLaD in a while, so I think I'll start that next...

K1LLER7

Daily mail saying United made a bid of 30m for Rodriguez. If true that could mean Nani's out. Wouldn't mind if he's the replacement, looks a good young player, and we get 25-30m from Selling Nani.

Fry

Just finished Ballad of Gay Tony for the first time. Don't get why people love it so much... sure it was good and fucking hilarious but I preferred TLaD of the two expansions. I've not played TLaD in a while, so I think I'll start that next...

You just gave me a great idea. I have some money left, but I don't want to spend it all on a game. But an expansion that would give me more hours of fun playing GTA IV? Hell yeah :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom