• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elseanio

Anyone have that excel page that highlight player values based on age/prospect/wages ? It rated them Red, Green and Yellow I think

Feorax

Thing is, Rodgers has worked with Sigurdsson for a while now, and I imagine knows his worth better than most. If he's standing firm with how much he believes Gylfi is worth paying, I'm inclined to trust his judgement.

Meier

How does Baseball make so much money? It's the most boring shite I've seen. Would rather watch school girls play Rounders.

Hah, well, many (most really) Americans would say the same about soccer/football unfortunately. Just a cultural difference in terms of sport (although there are plenty of Americans who don't care for baseball either, mind you). Baseball is the only sport in America w/o a salary cap so some of the wage bills are astronomical. Here is the Yankees top 10 for comparison.. $196 million in base salaries across 21 players.

Code:
RK	PLAYER	Salary (US$)
1	Alex Rodriguez	30,000,000
2	CC Sabathia	24,285,714
3	Mark Teixeira	23,125,000
4	Derek Jeter	15,729,365
5	Robinson Cano	14,000,000
6	Rafael Soriano	12,000,000
7	Nick Swisher	10,250,000
8	Hiroki Kuroda	10,000,000
8       Curtis Granderson	10,000,000
10	Russell Martin	7,500,000

I'm a fan of the Dodgers who have a surprisingly low payroll given the size of the fan base (13th highest in the league). The previous owner was a shithead who was going bankrupt so he was super cheap.

Kyoufu

Ok. Yeah, Henry was seriously pissed with what Comolli and Kenny did last summer. I doubt we'll overspend as badly as we did again.

I think Kenny single-handedly funded our successful season making us one of the few profitable PL clubs of the season. Thank you King Kenny. Felt like we robbed him tbh. lol

Hah, well, many (most really) Americans would say the same about soccer/football unfortunately. Just a cultural difference in terms of sport. Baseball is the only sport in America w/o a salary cap so some of the wage bills are astronomical. Here is the Yankees top 10 for comparison.. $196 million in base salaries across 21 players.

I'm a fan of the Dodgers who have a surprisingly low payroll given the size of the fan base (13th highest in the league). The previous owner was a shithead who was going bankrupt so he was super cheap.

That is absolutely mindblowing.

rodvik

She was probably even younger when she first wrote the song.

She had plenty of experiences to draw upon.

Her life has been fucked up since the age of 12.

But she really is musically talented.

You tried Aimee Mann? Not quite the same but in the realm of articulate and talented women singer/songwriters.

Talon

Baseball is so embedded in American culture. Pretty much every kid played baseball at some point - even if it was forced on them in school, so there's that element going into each game.

It's very much America's sport, even if (American) football has outpaced it in terms of popularity and $$$.

rodvik

Baseball is so embedded in American culture. Pretty much every kid played baseball at some point - even if it was forced on them in school, so there's that element going into each game.

It's very much America's sport, even if (American) football has outpaced it in terms of popularity and $$$.

Biggest cheer I ever got from my kids was when I told them "I will never make you play baseball."

I am sure many kids want to play, but boy I see an awful lot of kids at little league who are clearly there because their dad wants them to be there.

Talon

Biggest cheer I ever got from my kids was when I told them "I will never make you play baseball."

I am sure many kids want to play, but boy I see an awful lot of kids at little league who are clearly there because their dad wants them to be there.
I hated playing it at the time (mostly because I sucked), but I still have good memories associated it. It does feel sweet to hit a ball with a bat.

I also hated playing soccer at the time, and I still have good memories about it.

rodvik

I hated playing it at the time (mostly because I sucked), but I still have good memories associated it. It does feel sweet to hit a ball with a bat.

I also hated playing soccer at the time, and I still have good memories about it.

Oh for sure. I experienced a similar thing in England (being forced to play Soccer which I hated at the time). Here in the US Baseball seems to be the cultural game of choice kids get kind pushed into doing.

Immigrants perspective here, I could be way off.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
EA will announce the new latin american spanish narrators on July 5

532152_450008341684112_116609194_n.jpg

Expecting the worst already...

hopefully we get Andres Cantor. Much better commentating than most mexican commentators.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's going to be god damn hilarious when RVP gets crocked in pre-season. Mancini will then complain that he doesn't have enough players despite having a whole shedload of seniors he's banished to the reserves/loan deals.

Arnie

Well that's a nice little side story for next season if RVP does go to City: Will they build their immense midfield talents around him, like Arsenal did, or will they try to develop a system that gets the best out of both him and Aguero. I personally think it's a curious transfer for a team that scores so many goals. I don't see RVP as their missing link.

Regarding Sigurdsson, if the rumours are true about his desired wages then I'd be happy to accept defeat and move onto other targets.

For what it's worth I think he's good enough to take those wages and deliver on them, however as someone's already said, giving a 22 year old newcomer higher wages than Suarez just isn't going to fly. Perhaps in a season, when he's proven beyond reasonable doubt that he can provide the goods, but not from the get go.

It's a great statement of intent from Spurs though, a club with a typically shrewd wage structure. Perhaps it's a signal that they're ready to take a step up in that regard. New manager, new training complex, elevated wage structure and potentially Champions League in a year. As long as they learn to cope without Modric, should he go. If they clear that particular hurdle then I foresee them continuing on upwards.

K1LLER7

Well, hopefully after his shit performance at the Euro Cup, the club will decide against making the move. Get me Cavani instead!

Bring Ibra to the PL instead.

Was talking to my mate, a Liverpool supporter, and he said they were interested in Adam Johnson from City. A good buy if it happens, would be a good move for him.

ty_hot

The brazilian portuguese narrator is a guy that presents a football TV show and the commentator is the worst you can possibly imagine. Hope the latin guys have more luck on that.
(talking about fifa)

elsk

Banned
The brazilian portuguese narrator is a guy that presents a football TV show and the commentator is the worst you can possibly imagine. Hope the latin guys have more luck on that.
(talking about fifa)

Doubt it. EA always goes for Mexican narrators (they suck so badly) I would like to have some regional narrators (ESPN/Fox Sports Champions League narrators).

jtb

Banned
City doesn't need another striker, they need another manager.

Having said that, 30m sounds like a fair fee for RVP. Anything above that, and shit, we might actually buy a defender this transfer window!

Well that's that then. I hope it's not true but I can't say I'm surprised at this point. We should just give City an Arsenal sticker book each season and they can count the needs gots and shinies.

Not going to verbally attack RVP though, he deserves his payday, just wish it wasn't in the Premier league.

dc89

ivpxRGE4poeVg.gif

If these regulations stop another Rangers/Leeds United fiasco from happening, I don't really care how many oligarchs have to stop throwing their money around. Live within your means. Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton and others have shown that it can be done. It's embarrassing watching clubs like City, Anzhi and PSG pissing on the rest of Europe with their cash.

"destroyed dreams"

:lol

FFP isn't perfect but it's a step in the right direction. The money in football right now is unsustainable and thats not good for the sport. Spending needs to be curbed sooner rather than later.

I do think he's Spurs-bound now but Goal.com is one of the worst sources around, they'll just be going off what's already been reported by Ben Smith etc. Duncan is saying it could happen (Gylfi to Spurs) but isn't confirming it outright. Just says if he's wrong he'll hold his hands up, so it would seem he still thinks we may have a chance. Who knows... I'll wait for the news to hit Spurs' site (or ours if we do decide to up our offer and he changes his mind).

Anti-competitive? Really?
KuGsj.gif

If anything is anti-competitive it's clubs like City spending hundreds of millions buying entire world-class-level squads in the space of a year or two. It's ridiculous to suggest that FFP would actually make the league less competitive. If it carries on as it is with City and the like being able to buy who they want for however much they want, within a few years we'll likely see City winning the league almost every year. So much for competition.

May City forever be remembered as the last team that bought the league then.

Bring Ibra to the PL instead.

Was talking to my mate, a Liverpool supporter, and he said they were interested in Adam Johnson from City. A good buy if it happens, would be a good move for him.

Yup, seen this myself. One Liverpool fan who was retweeted by quite a reliable City source said £17M is the price tag. I'd snap Livepool's hand off right now considering City bought him for £7M.

Kyoufu

Liverpool don't care when it comes paying too much for players.

Maybe before, but surely they've learned their lesson now? Right?

..right?

With 17 million you can buy a couple quality players from somewhere in Europe. They have scouts surely?

Fry

Actually Aaron Johnson is worth all that, in my opinion. Considering how high the prices are nowadays for english players, 17m isn't too much for him. And he's quality. 10x the player Downing is.

K1LLER7

..right?

With 17 million you can buy a couple quality players from somewhere in Europe. They have scouts surely?
They'd be better of buying Newcastles scouts for 17m

^ Aaron Johnson maybe, Adam Johnson no :p

jtb

Banned
Win Premiership. Need new manager.

Wut.

oh come on, you're being very generous to Mancini. they won the league despite Mancini, not because of him. and his record in the CL is abysmal, especially when taking into account how often he's had near unlimited financial backing from an owner.

PaulLFC

..right?

Supposedly we have, and that's why Spurs have outbid us for Sigurdsson. We've given him a final offer now according to rumours, but it doesn't seem to match Spurs' offer, so he's probably off there in the next couple of days.

Arnie

God if we overpay for another British winger who once played for Middlesbrough I'll be livid. I rate Johnson, far higher than Downing, but continuing to throw excess money away on A British premium, a quality that's quite frankly worthless is just unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom