• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

Actually Aaron Johnson is worth all that, in my opinion. Considering how high the prices are nowadays for english players, 17m isn't too much for him. And he's quality. 10x the player Downing is.

You multiply anything with 0 you still get 0.

Oh for sure. I experienced a similar thing in England (being forced to play Soccer which I hated at the time). Here in the US Baseball seems to be the cultural game of choice kids get kind pushed into doing.

Immigrants perspective here, I could be way off.

I'd say you're right. My Dad won't let go the fact that my Brother (he's 13) is going to drop baseball for lacrosse in a year or two. I played every sport under the sun growing up, and loved it, so I don't know if I was forced into anything, but every boy at school played youth baseball, whereas we had the players for two teams per year in hockey, one team for lacrosse, two teams for football, etc.

For some reason, everyone plays baseball, even though it may be the technically hardest sport to play. I think part of it may be that you don't need to be a great athlete to excel at the sport necessarily, but trying to hit that ball with a bat is a damn impressive thing to do.

GorillaJu

I'd say you're right. My Dad won't let go the fact that my Brother (he's 13) is going to drop baseball for lacrosse in a year or two. I played every sport under the sun growing up, and loved it, so I don't know if I was forced into anything, but every boy at school played youth baseball, whereas we had the players for two teams per year in hockey, one team for lacrosse, two teams for football, etc.

For some reason, everyone plays baseball, even though it may be the technically hardest sport to play. I think part of it may be that you don't need to be a great athlete to excel at the sport necessarily, but trying to hit that ball with a bat is a damn impressive thing to do.

When I was a kid my favorite sport was baseball by far. It's fun because when I played sports like basketball or soccer I end up hiding and not playing an important part in the game. Just my tendency, when I was a kid. With baseball you can't do that - you have your position, and all positions are really important - you can't just have the coach's son play point guard and carry the whole team. You also always get a chance to bat since your team goes in order.

As it turns out I was a pretty good player - played shortstop and hit lots of good base hits for the team.

Now I play golf, tennis and futsal, so everything's changed :p

rodvik

City doesn't need another striker, they need another manager.

Having said that, 30m sounds like a fair fee for RVP. Anything above that, and shit, we might actually buy a defender this transfer window!

oh come on, you're being very generous to Mancini. they won the league despite Mancini, not because of him. and his record in the CL is abysmal, especially when taking into account how often he's had near unlimited financial backing from an owner.

wtfmicrophonep1.gif

Whoa, what?

You kidding man? Even with large funds available many managers have flubbed in the PL. Firing Mancini would be crazy.

Kyoufu

German newspaper Bild say we're interested in Polish full back Sebastian Boenisch. Too bad I didn't watch Poland's games.

I can't remember the last time we had a Polish player at Newcastle, if ever.

Anyway, he's available on a free transfer so I don't need to offer 50 million.

jtb

Banned
I'm not saying Mancini's a bad manager, he obviously could be doing far worse with City. I'm just saying he's not at the level I'm sure City's owners want, just as players like Dzeko are hardly bad players, but not at the level City wants.

though he has failed again and again in Europe, no doubt about that. I think there are a number of managers that could do a far better job with City, though only one is currently available...

rodvik

I'm not saying Mancini's a bad manager, he obviously could be doing far worse with City. I'm just saying he's not at the level I'm sure City's owners want, just as players like Dzeko are hardly bad players, but not at the level City wants.

though he has failed again and again in Europe, no doubt about that. I think there are a number of managers that could do a far better job with City, though only one is currently available...

The CL flop is true. But to be fair SAF also flopped hard this year, arguably against weaker opposition too. But yeah, Mancini needs to do better in Europe for sure.

elsk

Banned
Mancini is pretty average, having a huge squad full of expensive players like City and barely winning the domestic league and failing to win a 2nd place in their group in the CL is amazing.

Fry

Man City winning the title is more down to United's failings rather than Mancini's merits.

Bought 4000 MS Points and got Ballad of Gay Tony, The Lost and Damned and Splinter Cell Conviction. :D

jtb

Banned
I was thinking Rafa haha

and to be honest, his Inter collapses were far more impressive than their performance in this CL. it was more his bullshit excuses; this was their first year in the CL and his whole "our points would've gotten us out of any other group" that really pissed me off - it was Napoli's too, and they did just fine, not to mention they picked up six points against a side that got relegtated, and another three against one that had already qualified who rested key players. he just can't own up to the fact that he is shit in Europe.

and let's not even get started on the Tevez fiasco...

Kyoufu

Man City winning the title is more down to United's failings rather than Mancini's merits.

Hmm, sort of. City were top of the table for a long time. It was through their own failings that Man United got the lead.

The Tevez situation obviously didn't do them any favours, and Balotelli was a coño.

German newspaper Bild say we're interested in Polish full back Sebastian Boenisch. Too bad I didn't watch Poland's games.

I can't remember the last time we had a Polish player at Newcastle, if ever.

Anyway, he's available on a free transfer so I don't need to offer 50 million.

I thought he was horrible in the Poland games. Very stiff and pretty slow on the defense, ineffective/toothless on the offense. A natural CB rather than a WB. He did manage two or three good crosses though :/
I never took note of him in Bremen, but now that they have reached a low point in, first, losing Mertesacker and then Wiese, Marin & Pizarro while ranking only 9th after being 13th last season Boenisch is seen as dead weight so I can't see how he can be of any use to Newcastle.

/stealth-edit:
Looking at his profile he kind of seems to be injury-prone and hasn't played too much in the last two years (some 10 Bundesliga games overall):
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/sebastian-boenisch/profil/spieler_36914.html

/edit
...I'm on a Rome binge :O

PaulLFC

Haha, brilliant. Some lad has sent Twitter into meltdown with this:

"Italiant journalist Sto Scherzando has confirmed on Twitter that Napoli have given Liverpool permission to talk to Edinson Cavani."

Great work
KuGsj.gif

Slizz

"Italiant journalist Sto Scherzando has confirmed on Twitter that Napoli have given Liverpool permission to talk to Edinson Cavani."

Great work
KuGsj.gif

Cavani is chillin on South Beach now with Lugano, Forlan and supermodels no lie.

Fry

Great work
KuGsj.gif

Tell him vaffanculo.

Great work
KuGsj.gif

There was actually something about Cavani to Liverpool in Bulchittia, so you never know!

Kyoufu

Can't see Cavani staying at Napoli when we all know they can't defend to save their lives. No CL means he and Lavezzi are leaving.

Cavani may follow Suarez, but where would Lavezzi go? Someone loan me 50 million.

K1LLER7

Can't see Cavani staying at Napoli when we all know they can't defend to save their lives. No CL means he and Lavezzi are leaving.

Cavani may follow Suarez, but where would Lavezzi go? Someone loan me 50 million.

Levezzi's already at PSG no? think it was already announced.

sooo...that 50 million, you can have Bebe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom