• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wear the black armbands and ask the Portugese team if they'll stop play at the start to allow them to hold a minutes silence. I'd like to see UEFA penalise the Spanish for that and give this disgraceful decision more media exposure

faridmon

No he wasn't. He was voted player of the season and then they switched managers to someone who didnt like him and benched him for a year. He wasn't a flop at all.

Fair enough, although one could argue the fact that greater players have been called flops due to this situation as well (Lots of past Everton players for instance). one of the things that makes a great player is that he can adapt easily when manager is changed.

And speaking of names, Llorentes full name is Fernando Llorente Torres. Lol

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Vedran Corluka has joined Lokomotiv Moscow. The second of our Croatian trio to depart, and not the last it would seem. Farewell Charlie, a great player for us and with him and Kranjcar gone, our team just got a lot less handsome.

tumblr_lyy00v6sDj1qgy4djo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lll40ti17n1qaogzmo1_500.gif

Hixx

Vedran Corluka has joined Lokomotiv Moscow. The second of our Croatian trio to depart, and not the last it would seem. Farewell Charlie, a great player for us and with him and Kranjcar gone, our team just got a lot less handsome.

tumblr_lyy00v6sDj1qgy4djo1_500.jpg

[IM.G]http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lll40ti17n1qaogzmo1_500.gif[/IMG]

Modric's face in this pic is perfect.

elseanio

Where's the minute silence refusal news coming from?

Uefa just made a statement:

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/news/newsid=1834692.html

Further to media reports of the alleged refusal to allow a minute of silence in memory of Spanish football player Miki Roqué ahead of tonight's UEFA EURO 2012 semi-final between Spain and Portugal, UEFA would like to underline that it has not received any such request from the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF). Articles reporting its rejection by UEFA are therefore totally unfounded.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gareth Bale has signed new contract at Tottenham until 2016.

“I’ve been here for five years now and I’ve enjoyed every minute. The fans have been great to me and I’d love to re-pay them and do the very best for them. The Club is progressing and I want to be a part of that, so it was great to get the deal done.

"I love the Club and the fans and I want to play my part in trying to get us back into the Champions League - where we belong. We’ve a good, young squad and we need to work together to get back on the biggest stage again."

You see Modders?! It didn't have to be this way *sob*

Arnie

His contract was 'till 2015 anyway. Maybe he just wanted to be on more money than Sigurdsson :p

Just seen that. It's more of a one year contract extension with improved terms. Fits in with the idea that Spurs' wage structure is about to sky rocket, and rightly so. Might mean they can bring in a top striker.

And UEFA have denied reports that they refused a minutes silence, saying they were never approached for one.

Meier

Awesome new home shirt for this year! The old logo is a watermark in the bottom, epic.

It's sharp... but in comparison to the one in your avatar, it looks like there's almost no difference at all (slightly different collar perhaps?). Seems a bit pointless to buy the "new" one.

Kyoufu

You see Modders?! It didn't have to be this way *sob*

I'm not really a fan of Bale but any player who realises a club is improving and wants to help them further their goals gets a thumbs up from me.

Having said that, he plays for a loaded London club, so no respect there.

:p

dc89

Wow the #AskNasri on Twitter is really rumbling the Arsenal fans.

Haven't they learnt yet that the whole money grabbing taunts were ruled obsolete the moment he got his winners medal.

If he stayed at Arsenal he would be still in the same position.

I can't wait for #AskRVP - no matter where he ends up.

Wilbur

Banned
Gareth Bale has signed new contract at Tottenham until 2016.

Good news for Spurs. Could still see them selling if a £50m bid came from someone. He'd be great for most clubs at LW or LB but would cost a lot so he'll be there a few more years for sure.

We kind of wants your Baineses.

Dunno if I do. For £10m max then yeah buddy, but it'll be more expensive than that for someone who isn't exactly young.

And it's official: http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/de/aktuell/news/2012/35504.php#xtor=cs1-5

Bayern have agreed terms with Mandzukic and Wolfsburg. Now he just needs to pass his medical before he's signed.

http://i.imgur.com/lxzN7.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Very good signing, I was really impressed with him. Does it say how much for?

Also how is this for an England team on FM? I've cast all the old fuckers out before the Euros

[quote]Hart, Forster, Ruddy; Walker, Richards, Kelly, Smalling, Jones, Caulker, Bertrand, Gibbs; Rodwell, Wilshere, McEachran, Gardner, Shelvey, Cleverley, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Walcott, Zaha, Carroll, Sturridge, Welbeck[/quote]

Wilbur

Banned
Wow the #AskNasri on Twitter is really rumbling the Arsenal fans.

Haven't they learnt yet that the whole money grabbing taunts were ruled obsolete the moment he got his winners medal.

Can you not resist from defending the fucker? His behaviour for the last year and a half towards team mates, managers, press and fans has been shite. Footballers get it in the neck from everyone, it says a lot about the prick he can't keep his temper in check.

Edit: 2012. Gonna just stick with it and see how they develop. My tactics are hot shit anyway so it's cool

fuenf

Very good signing, I was really impressed with him. Does it say how much for?

He's the perfect striker for Bayern, a bigger name wouldnt have made much sense as Gomez has the striker spot locked upped for years. He'll be able to offer a nice change of pace and might be the key to unlock teams like Dortmund / Chelsea etc.

Now if they only could find a way to unload Robben... Wembley 2013 Believe!!!

Wilbur

Banned
He's the perfect striker for Bayern, a bigger name wouldnt have made much sense as Gomez has the striker spot locked upped for years. He'll be able to offer a nice change of pace and might be the key to unlock teams like Dortmund / Chelsea etc.

Now if they only could find a way to unload Robben... Wembley 2013 Believe!!!

Just shoot him in a toilet cubicle somewhere in the Allianz. Don't see Shaqiri starting ahead of him unfortunately.

Always thought Robben was a cunt, despite finding him an utterly thrilling footballer at Chelsea. They used to score 4 every match, it was ridiculous.

dc89

Can you not resist from defending the fucker? His behaviour for the last year and a half towards team mates, managers, press and fans has been shite. Footballers get it in the neck from everyone, it says a lot about the prick he can't keep his temper in check.

Edit: 2012. Gonna just stick with it and see how they develop. My tactics are hot shit anyway so it's cool

I'm not defending him. I've never said that his behaviour has been acceptable etc.

All I'm saying is quite a few Arsenal fans still have a real chip on their shoulder.

bjaelke

Bold move. Did the same with a club team. Average age of the starting XI = 19.7. I almost lost my job the first season due to terrible results. Just a heads up.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm not defending him. I've never said that his behaviour has been acceptable etc.

All I'm saying is quite a few Arsenal fans still have a real chip on their shoulder.

This:

is so bait-tastic I feel like I'm in the Safari Zone. I completely understand why Arsenal fans are likely to have a chip on their shoulder.

fuenf

Always thought Robben was a cunt, despite finding him an utterly thrilling footballer at Chelsea. They used to score 4 every match, it was ridiculous.

at least he played good football back then, now he's just a cunt that cockblocks the entire team..

Freiburg wanted just 14M for Cisse :(

Let's see him replicate his success at Newcastle first. Dont forget about Berbatov, Santa Cruz, Ba etc.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Genoa have 103 players on their books.

And it's official: http://www.fcbayern.telekom.de/de/aktuell/news/2012/35504.php#xtor=cs1-5

Bayern have agreed terms with Mandzukic and Wolfsburg. Now he just needs to pass his medical before he's signed.

http://i.imgur.com/lxzN7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Good signing indeed! No need to splash more money anyway when you have Gomez The Terminator.

Loved his celebration!
[img]http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dVUdss6ls5LC/x610.jpg

Gladbach signed Atlético Madrid's Alvaro Dominguez btw:

alvarodominguez.png

That's the big news of the day, really.
They are building a very decent squad with Xhaka, Dominguez, Mlapa and maybe Hoilett/de Jong.
Mandzukic is nothing to sneeze at, but he's not really that much different from Gomez, but yeah, Bayern are getting some depth into their squad, still I feel like we'll see a surprise champion this year (Stuttgart or maybe Wolfsburg).

elsk

Banned
^Yea, I think is kind of big. Wasn't that guy the captain of Atlético Madrid?

Freiburg wanted just 14M for Cisse :(

The only signing I regret we couldn't complete, because of fucking Voller, is Vidal.
I like this Mario more than Cisse.

fuenf

At least he's seemingly staying fit now for longer stretches of time. That was his downfall in England.

he still misses his usual 2-3 months each season and his body seems to have broken down. he hast lost most his speed, which was easily his biggest asset and mentally i just dont know anymore. i sure hope that he can turn things around but i doubt it.

Mandzukic is nothing to sneeze at, but he's not really that much different from Gomez, but yeah, Bayern are getting some depth into their squad, still I feel like we'll see a surprise champion this year (Stuttgart or maybe Wolfsburg).

I think they are starting to do things more like Dortmund, buying players who fit the system and might flourish in it. Isnt he miles ahead of Gomez in terms of holding the ball? Only thing that worries me is that most of his goals were headers. If only we had a competent winger on the right side of the field.... i cant remember the last time a Bayern player delivered a decent cross...

Kyoufu

Call me crazy but I think Coloccini will leave for City for mega bucks and Cabaye will be our new Captain.

We'll then sign Debuchy for the fee Lille are asking for and we'll grab De Jong plus Bosneich too.

What do you think Carbonox/Willkiller/etc?

GQman2121

Banned
he still misses his usual 2-3 months each season and his body seems to have broken down. he hast lost most his speed, which was easily his biggest asset and mentally i just dont know anymore. i sure hope that he can turn things around but i doubt it.

Well then it's the same old story I guess. I was a huge supporter of his, and although I understood why, I was still disappointed when he left. He never really had an impact at Real either because of his health.

Call me crazy but I think Coloccini will leave for City for mega bucks and Cabaye will be our new Captain.

We'll then sign Debuchy for the fee Lille are asking for and we'll grab De Jong plus Bosneich too.

I can't see Colo leaving, I really can't. To be honest I don't think we'll lose many of our players, hopefully Ashley will invest some money so we can strengthen the squad without having to sacrifice Tiote/Cabaye/Ben Arfa.

And you know what? I think he just might!

faridmon

Would you guys say that Mandzukic was signed based on his Euros form or was he on Bayerns watchlist for a while longer? He was decent at Wolfsburg but if they have signed him on his sole performances at Euro then the might play him diffrently than he played at Wolfsborg.

GQman2121

Banned

If you can cash in on Coloccini (what is he 31/32?); pickup Debuchy for under £10; and then turn around and land de Jong - that would be a good bit of business.

Are you content with possibly losing Ba or Cisse this summer?

fuenf

Would you guys say that Mandzukic was signed based on his Euros form or was he on Bayerns watchlist for a while longer? He was decent at Wolfsburg but if they have signed him on his sole performances at Euro then the might play him diffrently than he played at Wolfsborg.

He was certainly on the watchlist before (every Bundesliga player is). But i dont think he was the #1 option, just the one that was available and made the most sense as they couldnt get Lewandowski or Higuain. If anything Gomez performance at the Euros might have changed their minds about signing a high profile guy.

If you can cash in on Coloccini (what is he 31/32?); pickup Debuchy for under £10; and then turn around and land de Jong - that would be a good bit of business.

Are you content with possibly losing Ba or Cisse this summer?

I still don't want Colo to leave. He's still a fantastic player and an integral part of our success in the last couple of seasons.

Ba yes. Cisse no.

elsk

Banned

He had 13 goals and 10 assists in the last season for Wolfsburg... and we're talking about a team managed by Magath. We also signed Claudio Pizarro so we all very well covered in the striker department now.

Only missing piece is signing Javi Martínez.

faridmon

He was certainly on the watchlist before (every Bundesliga player is). But i dont think he was the #1 option, just the one that was available and made the most sense as they couldnt get Lewandowski or Higuain. If anything Gomez performance at the Euros might have changed their minds about signing a high profile guy.

Relying on Gomez might bite Bayern during the season. He is a fantastic striker but he is one of those players who is amazing when he is on form and truly awful when he is not. Also, Did Bayern actually thought that they could get Lewandowski or Higuain? Lol, anyway, maybe Dzeko is an option but City is not letting him go easily...

He had 13 goals and 10 assists in the last season for Wolfsburg... and we're talking about a team managed by Magath. We also signed Claudio Pizarro so we all very well covered in the striker department now.

Only missing piece is signing Javi Martínez.

Never said he was bad, just commented on how he was appraoched and in which mentality he was bought for. He could be one of those players who is a hit or a miss. and Pizarro? Is he still alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom