• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
Supposedly Rodgers is interested in bringing Lescott to Liverpool. I say let him go and use that money to sign Javi Martinez as our new CB. Coloccini's too old to be any sort of a band-aid for more than a year or two.

Why would Javi Martínez want to move to a smaller club?
Also, the main reason he wants to move to Bayern is because he will be played as DM/CM and not as CB.

faridmon

Why would Javi Martínez want to move to a smaller club?
Also, the main reason he wants to move to Bayern is because he will be played as DM/CM and not as CB.

As much as I hate talking about City in a positive way, They have won a trophy last season and Bayern haven't.

Isn't Mancini currently looking at centre-halves with Premier League experience? Skrtl and Coloccini links would suggest that.
Hopefully Jagielka and Heitenga are out of the question.

Arnie

Can't see Lescott coming to us. If City are willing to sell for a reasonable price I'd love to have him, but I just don't see it as realistic.

I'd be bemused as to why City would want to sell him though, he was excellent last season.

faridmon

haha, a domestic title... what an impact! We have tons of those.
Wolfsburg won one too, surely they're a bigger club!

Just saying that they might entice him by saying that is the past and this is the future. Just being a devils advocat and all.

Kyoufu

Can't see Lescott coming to us. If City are willing to sell for a reasonable price I'd love to have him, but I just don't see it as realistic.

I'd be bemused as to why City would want to sell him though, he was excellent last season.

He's not signing a new deal apparently, so Mancini is looking at Coloccini as a replacement.

elseanio

Don't think we need Lescott at all.

elsk

Banned
Just saying that they might entice him by saying that is the past and this is the future. Just being a devils advocat and all.

Don't really know why english people rate the EPL trophy that high, it's a domestic title. Specially after the last mediocre season in the league... usually european players want to move because they want a chance to win a CL trophy in the other club.

If your logic was right, Kagawa would be very happy at Dortmund because they won 2 domestic titles and Manchester United didn't.

Kem0sabe

Multi-quote post incoming ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Bitch please. Mass Effect 3 is a phenomenal game. It's just the ending that breaks the boundaries of the space time continuum and destroys the dreams of everyone.

lolcat23.jpg

You cannot brake what iz unbroken.

or enjoy a quality game and try not to let people (ie: GAF) alter your preconceptions.

xFCtx.gif

GAF has impeccable taste.

Nah lol, want to play this! Even though it's not supposed to be as good as ME2 :( loved that game

Just don´t finish it :)

faridmon

If your logic was right, Kagawa would be very happy at Dortmund because they won 2 domestic titles and Manchester United didn't.

Hate to say this, but an English title is a enticement for forign players and Man United and Man City can get players just because they have a chance of winning it.

elsk

Banned
Hate to say this, but an English title is a enticement for forign players and Man United and Man City can get players just because they have a chance of winning it.

English title is worth something for english players, and well maybe asian crazy guys like Kagawa. But for european players an english title is pretty worthless, their own domestic title is more important if anything and the main reason they move is because they want to win the CL.

And as long as Mancini is there, Man City is going to suck in Europe. They can buy their success in the EPL, but in Europe is another thing.

If Skrtel leaves, sure, try and get Lescott.

Skrtel
Agger
Lescott
Coates
Carragher

That's too much, especially since we don't have endless funds. Unless we lose Skrtel or Agger, centre-back is far from a priority for us, and its imperative for Coates to be third choice this season. We could also do with Wisdom getting a couple of game. Carragher will obviously be given a fair few games just to make it look like his contribution to the team is justifying his wages.

Midfield is the priority, then wingers, then a striker, then back to the midfield if possible.

Spearing and Adam will never be good enough, and Henderson isn't good enough yet. Shelvey needs at least another year before we can trust him to start every other game, Gerrard is aging and injury-prone, and fuck knows what'll happen if Lucas suffers a recurrence. None of our reserves are anywhere near good enough, and tbh I doubt they ever will be.

Kem0sabe

English title is worth something for english players, and well maybe asian crazy guys like Kagawa. But for european players an english title is pretty worthless, their own domestic title is more important if anything and the main reason they move is because they want to win the CL.

One player gives no fucks about trophies.

aD5X.jpg

Don't really know why english people rate the EPL trophy that high, it's a domestic title. Specially after the last mediocre season in the league... usually european players want to move because they want a chance to win a CL trophy in the other club.

Domestic titles are important though. They are the bread and butter of every club and it is the main competition each year, maybe not the priority but the one which is central to a teams season, year in year out. They make up most of the honours list for clubs and good performance at home is usually indicative of good performances in Europe.

I don't think players move across leagues just to win the CL either. Sure it's on their list of our priorities but it's not the only factor. For players moving between some top clubs it may be more important. For Martinez, City or Bayern is a step up from Bilbao either way. He hasn't won much (if anything?) at Bilbao so winning trophies period is going to be important for him, not just the CL. Plus, whilst I'd say Bayern are better placed to win a CL then City are, City are still a good team who could be in the mix, they haven't performed in Europe yet but it wouldn't be a surprise if they did soon.

Plus we know City can offer massive wages and I doubt many players care about bigger or smaller clubs these days. I have no idea who Martinez prefers or what he wants but City or Bayern, right here today, is not a straight choice.

Kyoufu

Since when was the PL worthless?

One of the best leagues in the world isn't a worthless title. Elsk quit hating on the PL man!

Wilbur

Banned
Lescott was as good as Kompany last season but gets half the praise.

I'd rather win the PL every year than the odd CL. Elsk is a notorious PL hater.

Would Lescott even want to move to Liverpool? I doubt it. No idea where the story has come from but it would be a surprise, that's for sure.

Meier

And as long as Mancini is there, Man City is going to suck in Europe. They can buy their success in the EPL, but in Europe is another thing.

You're absolutely wrong here. You constantly hear about guys wanting to play in England. I understand that there's a sort of need to tell yourself that it isn't as important because you might feel that Bayern is being marginalized, but you're wrong. Players don't want to move to the Bundesliga, they don't want to move to La Liga unless it's for Barca or RM, they don't want to move to Ligue 1.. they want to move to the Premier League.

Ultimately the CL title is the goal for essentially every player, but to act like winning the Premier League title is not nearly as important is lunacy. We will see if Mancini can lead us to a better run this year -- if he can't, I think his sacking is inevitable.

Kyoufu

As a Newcastle fan, If I had the choice of winning the CL or winning the Premiership it would be the Premiership every day.

Chelsea's anti-football victory over Barcelona pretty much made CL worthless to me.

Fuck that competition. Capital One Cup all day every day.

Arnie

He'd be a nice luxury signing but we've got more pressing concerns:

A new left back to replace Aurelio and challenge Enrique.

A new striker to replace Kuyt, preferably someone who can push wide when needed (would love Sturridge).

Cover for Lucas at DM. We can't afford to be without again should Lucas have any new or recurring injury problems.

And WINGERS.

faridmon

GAF literally has the worst taste in AAA games

TO be honest with you, I never take GAFs opinion on games anymore. I don't like Mass Effect because Sci-fi nevere apealed to me, but I don't understand how an ending could just make a whole series worthless.

GAFs gamiong commenst is just plain wierd.

Shocking since you all are english, eh?
I am not English and I do think that PL is a it overrated by the amount of money Sky is pouring in it. However, I am a realist. Players would rather play in PL than any other league in the worls (unless you are Barca or Real Madrid). Heck, they would rather go to a mediocre PL side than a top European side (Bryan Ruiz for instance).

As a Newcastle fan, If I had the choice of winning the CL or winning the Premiership it would be the Premiership every day.

Same, as a Liverpool fan. Whether I'd feel the same if we hadn't won the CL in 2005 (I'll be bringing that up every day as we cling on to relevance,) who knows?

Kem0sabe

We will see if Mancini can lead us to a better run this year -- if he can't, I think his sacking is inevitable.

I think one of the reasons Mourinho hasn´t given a collective fuck you to the Madrid press and board room and go manage city is that he´s waiting for Ferguson to have a stroke so he can get the United spot.

Mancini is on borrowed time.

Shocking since you all are english, eh?
Of course we are biased, naturally the same could be said of you in favour of Bayern.

As I said I have no idea what Martinez will do but I think winning titles is important for any player especially one who hasn't won any before.

Plenty of players have moved to City from across Europe from clubs better placed to do well in Europe. There are different circumstances involving each player.

I guess well find out and maybe Martinez will pick Bayern if he faces the choice, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think he sits down and sees Bayern and City on the table and thinks, okay it's obvious, Bayern cos they have done well in the CL.

And between City and Bayern, I'm not interested in arguing for the English side.

elsk

Banned
Hey , majority English guys, your league doesn't matter

*rebuttals*

You would say that, you're English

Brilliant

I'm not saying the league doesn't matter. Obviously any player is going to prefer to move to PL than belgian league or french league; but you can't compare the CL trophy to a domestic title, sure it means something to you all because you're english... Spanish people and german people feel the same way for their domestic title; but if a german or a spanish player moves to another country is mainly because he wants a better chance in European cups (+ more money).

I guess well find out and maybe Martinez will pick Bayern if he faces the choice, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think he sits down and sees Bayern and City on the table and thinks, okay it's obvious, Bayern cos they have done well in the CL.

Excuse me for being logical.

Meier

Would Lescott even want to move to Liverpool? I doubt it. No idea where the story has come from but it would be a surprise, that's for sure.

Who knows the validity, I read it here: http://www.albawaba.com/sport/liverpool-manchester-city-lescott-431491 -- I think their original source is the Daily Star who I know are a tabloid so it's probably a load of BS but it's an interesting rumor. Quite a few bits and pieces in that article.

I do know that Mancini has been actively looking for a new CB though and he's obviously not trying to replace Vincent, so I'm not surprised if there are more rumors about Lescott being sold. If the QPR game hadn't ended in such a miraculous fashion, I'm sure they'd be more widespread after his horrific header that let Cisse score.

Bumhead

Banned
Its lazy, I agree. However, you are in a division where horrible shirts are abondant so you guys are alright.

I like the Sheffield United one

Hah, really? Not keen on their new one. Not just saying that, either.

It's not being lazy that bothers me, infact if anything the shirt would be better if that stupid black bar wasn't on one shoulder and it was just the stripes. Oh well. I loved last seasons shirt *sad face*

elsk

Banned
And you're Honduran so therefore have no connection to the team you support domestically.

I support my local team :) (Real España)... and I support Bayern because one of my grandparents was german.

The german title doesn't really mean that much to me if I compare it to the CL trophy. I would prefer Bayern winning the CL trophy and not winning the Bundesliga in 5 years.

You can't expect a spanish player to rate the EPL trophy higher than La Liga trophy.

Kyoufu

Here's something for you Elsk:

Cabaye left his domestic league and the opportunity to play in CL to join a newly promoted club that were tipped to finish mid table at best in the PL.

elsk

Banned
Here's something for you Elsk:

Cabaye left his domestic league and the opportunity to play in CL to join a newly promoted club that were tipped to finish mid table at best in the PL.

Like Lille had any chance to do something in the CL. Newcastle is more likely to be able to win something in CL than them.

Another example: Junior Hoilett moving to Gladbach because they'll play CL and not to any other PL side.

It's kind of stupid to talk about this, you all rate the PL trophy higher because is YOUR FUCKING LEAGUE. You live there you and your whole life people around you are talking about that so obviously it's important for english people.

The same goes for anyone in spain, germany, etc. But players move abroad mainly for european success and money.

Bumhead

Banned
I support my local team :) (Real España)... and I support Bayern because one of my grandparents was german.

The german title doesn't really mean that much to me if I compare it to the CL trophy. I would prefer Bayern winning the CL trophy and not winning the Bundesliga in 5 years.

But that's easy for you to say, because you conveniently support the most successful domestic side in your country.

Fans of most clubs wouldn't say no to winning either, obviously, but I can see why people would say they would rather win the league.

immy

Banned
Players care mostly about money unless you're one of the three glamour clubs, Real Madrid, Barca or Man U . But still mostly money.

jtb

Banned
I'd... maybe take a champions league win in '06 over the Invincibles (assuming we still won the league!! haha). Yeah.

CL football is the shit - I hate that it's become this financial inevitability now, knowing that Arsenal won't progress past, say, the quarters... it's this pointless formality that raises my hopes only to crush them again :'(

immy

Banned
But that's easy for you to say, because you conveniently support the most successful domestic side in your country.

Fans of most clubs wouldn't say no to winning either, obviously, but I can see why people would say they would rather win the league.

You're my favourite football gaf member, I wish alot of people here would suffer a relegation season just to get some realism.

Wilbur

Banned

You can't expect a spanish player to rate the EPL trophy higher than La Liga trophy.

And I completely understand the Bundesliga not meaning as much to you. It's not a criticism, I completely understand. But I'd like to think that after 38 hard fought games that last second City win meant the fucking world to every single one of their players.

elsk

Banned

I maybe would follow other german side if I was living in Germany, but from where I live is almost impossible to follow any other german side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom