• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd... maybe take a champions league win in '06 over the Invincibles (assuming we still won the league!! haha). Yeah.

CL football is the shit - I hate that it's become this financial inevitability now, knowing that Arsenal won't progress past, say, the quarters... it's this pointless formality that raises my hopes only to crush them again :'(

If you can get to the quarters, you can win it

Kyoufu

Like Lille had any chance to do something in the CL. Newcastle is more likely to be able to win something in CL than them.

Another example: Junior Hoilett moving to Gladbach because they'll play CL and not to any other PL side.

It's kind of stupid to talk about this, you all rate the PL trophy higher because is YOUR FUCKING LEAGUE. You live there you and your whole life people around you are talking about that so obviously it's important for english people.

The same goes for anyone in spain, germany, etc. But players move abroad mainly for european success and money.

You called the PL title "worthless". We're just saying it's obviously not worthless. I know CL is considered to be a higher trophy because it's something everybody in Europe dreams of. Don't think anyone is disputing that.

I maybe would follow other german side if I was living in Germany, but from where I live is almost impossible to follow any other german side.

And from where you live it is probably much more difficult to follow the Bundesliga than the Champions League. Makes sense which you'd place more value on.

immy

Banned
And I completely understand the Bundesliga not meaning as much to you. It's not a criticism, I completely understand. But I'd like to think that after 38 hard fought games that last second City win meant the fucking world to every single one of their players.

What about teves lol

elsk

Banned
And I completely understand the Bundesliga not meaning as much to you. It's not a criticism, I completely understand. But I'd like to think that after 38 hard fought games that last second City win meant the fucking world to every single one of their players.

You know what Tevez said after winning the title?
"This title means something to me because the whole Argentina-England thing about Las Malvinas." That's how much it means to foreign players, obviously it means they actually manage to win a trophy, win a first place but that's it.

The PL trophy doesn't mean that much to the foreign players as it does for the english, or british, players.

And from where you live it is probably much more difficult to follow the Bundesliga than the Champions League. Makes sense which you'd place more value on.

Yes, you're very right actually!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'd rather win the league too. The amount of luck involved in winning a CL is staggering.

Guys leave elsk alone :/

faridmon

Hah, really? Not keen on their new one. Not just saying that, either.

It's not being lazy that bothers me, infact if anything the shirt would be better if that stupid black bar wasn't on one shoulder and it was just the stripes. Oh well. I loved last seasons shirt *sad face*

That black strip is the new Puma way oof being hip. They do that to all of their kits, although some kits is integrated better than others. I just think its lazy because its not a well thought top that integrates the sponsors logo with the stripes in the fron.

immy

Banned
I maybe would follow other german side if I was living in Germany, but from where I live is almost impossible to follow any other german side.

Does this kind of prove Premier league>BL if you can only follow one team in the BL

Wilbur

Banned
What about teves lol

You know what Tevez said after winning the title?
"This title means something to me because the whole Argentina-England thing about Las Malvinas." That's how much it means to foreign players, obviously it means they actually manage to win a trophy, win a first place but that's it.

The PL trophy doesn't mean that much to the foreign players as it does for the english, or british, players.

Yes, you're very right actually!

Tevez is a cumstain on the tit of humanity

Bumhead

Banned

I'm not criticising you because of who you support or why, I'm suggesting it's only natural that the Bundesliga doesn't mean as much to you because you support a club which has won, what, 20 odd league titles? And how many domestic cups? Bayern are the most successful club side in Germany.

You say you wouldn't care if Bayern didn't win the Bundesliga for 5 years, but you only say that because you've already seen your club win it so many times before, and inevitably even if they didn't win it in the next 5, they almost certainly would in the next 10.

Most football fans will never see their team win a league title. I'm only guessing, but I'd guess most of them would rather win their domestic league than the CL.

You're my favourite football gaf member, I wish alot of people here would suffer a relegation season just to get some realism.

Thanks, mate :*). Realism comes at the cost of years of abject misery, mind.

Fry

elsk is MVB

iruJVOx94qb6V.gif

elsk

Banned
I'm not criticising you because of who you support or why, I'm suggesting it's only natural that the Bundesliga doesn't mean as much to you because you support a club which has won it, what, 20 odd league titles? And how many domestic cups? Bayern are the most successful club side in Germany.

You say you wouldn't care if Bayern didn't win the Bundesliga for 5 years, but you only say that because you've already seen your club win it so many times before, and inevitably even if they didn't win it in the next 5, they almost certainly would in the next 10.

Most football fans will never see their team win a league title. I'm only guessing, but I'd guess most of them would rather win their domestic league than the CL.

I get it now, and you're totally right.

Who knows the validity, I read it here: http://www.albawaba.com/sport/liverpool-manchester-city-lescott-431491 -- I think their original source is the Daily Star who I know are a tabloid so it's probably a load of BS but it's an interesting rumor. Quite a few bits and pieces in that article.

I do know that Mancini has been actively looking for a new CB though and he's obviously not trying to replace Vincent, so I'm not surprised if there are more rumors about Lescott being sold. If the QPR game hadn't ended in such a miraculous fashion, I'm sure they'd be more widespread after his horrific header that let Cisse score.

Mancini is probably looking for a centre-half because Toure is old and Savic is shit. He needs someone decent and reliable to step in and also compete with the starting pair.

WJD

I'm in a need of a new avatar, too. Does anyone have an appropriate Phil Jones facial I could use? I feel that's my new calling.

fuenf

I'm sorry elsk but the Bundesliga title is extremely important to (german) Bayern fans. Finishing behind Dortmund for the 3rd consecutive time would be worse than the CL loss. The CL title trumps everything, of course, but it's not a title you can plan for, more often than not it's not even won by the best team. You cant say the same about domestic leagues.

elsk

Banned
I'm sorry elsk but the Bundesliga title is extremely important to (german) Bayern fans. Finishing behind Dortmund for the 3rd consecutive time would be worse than the CL loss. The CL title trumps everything, of course, but it's not a title you can plan for, more often than not it's not even won by the best team. You cant say the same about domestic leagues.

Yes, I obviously get the Bundesliga title means so much more to any german than me. That's obvious, the same reason why the PL title means so much more to any english person than any foreign guy.

I don't think the Bundesliga title is "nothing" but I do think CL trophy is way higher than any domestic title, and yes you're right the CL title is not something you can plan for.

elsk

Banned
Just on Martinez, what's the latest from his side and Bilbao? Has anything been said about him wanting to leave or them selling him?

According to spanish media, Martínez likes the Bayern idea because a) sporting perspective, b) money wise, c) Jupp wants to play him as midfielder and not as CB, d) he has relatives in germany.

Some sites are saying there's an agreement between Martínez and Bayern already. The president of Bilbao had a conference yesterday and said that if any team wants Martínez they have to pay the 40M.

A couple of weeks ago Bild (?) said Bayern was planning to buy Dzeko OR Martínez, not both, because they are only going to pay the high transfer fee for one of them. Now they dropped the Dzeko transfer so that could be translated in Bayern paying the 40M for Martínez.

We'll know after the EURO.

fuenf

Just on Martinez, what's the latest from his side and Bilbao? Has anything been said about him wanting to leave or them selling him?

Bilbao said if somebody pays the buyout clause (40m) and he wants to go, he can leave. Otherwise he'll stay, they wont sell him if he doesnt want to leave.

edit: beaten x5

rodvik

You're my favourite football gaf member, I wish alot of people here would suffer a relegation season just to get some realism.

Being nearly relegated is more than enough for me. It scared me straight. I will never scoff at mid table mediocrity again.

We are not negotiating. If a club wants to pay the 40m and the player says he wants to go then he'll leave.

According to spanish media, Martínez likes the Bayern idea because a) sporting perspective, b) money wise, c) Jupp wants to play him as midfielder and not as CB, d) he has relatives in germany.

Some sites are saying there's an agreement between Martínez and Bayern already. The president of Bilbao had a conference yesterday and said that if any team wants Martínez they have to pay the 40M.

A couple of weeks ago Bild (?) said Bayern was planning to buy Dzeko OR Martínez, not both, because they only were going to pay the high transfer fee for one of them. Now they dropped the Dzeko transfer so that could be translated in Bayern paying the 40M for Martínez.

We'll know after the EURO.

Bilbao said if somebody pays the buyout clause (40m) and he wants to go, he can leave. Otherwise he'll stay, they wont sell him if he doesnt want to leave.

edit: beaten x5
Thanks guys.

As expected then. Bilbao won't sell easy. So something close to €40m is required. Hmm, do you guys think Bayern will pay that much?

elsk

Banned
Thanks guys.

As expected then. Bilbao won't sell easy. So something close to €40m is required. Hmm, do you guys think Bayern will pay that much?

Heynckes wants him since the start of last season, and Bayern is kind of the missing that type of player in the squad. I do see it happening, not 100% sure, tho.

The strange thing is, we're only linked with him for the DM spot. We were linked with M'Vila but his agent confirmed that Bayern was looking for a not-so-defensive player because we already have Gustavo.

Blablurn

Heynckes wants him since the start of last season, and Bayern is kind of the missing that type of player in the squad. I do see it happening, not 100% sure, tho.

The strange thing is, we're only linked with him for the DM spot. We were linked with M'Vila but his agent confirmed that Bayern was looking for a not-so-defensive player because we already have Gustavo.

we will never pay 40m for him... NEVER!

fuenf

we will never pay 40m for him... NEVER!

I wouldnt say that it's impossible, i mean Hoeneß needs his "prestige transfer" to show who's the boss, but i cant believe that Martinez is worth 40m. Especially with Schweini, Kroos in midfield. I mean we could get a player like Sahin, Boateng, M'Villa for far less than that. If Madrid buys Modric i think it's a given that Bayern will try to snatch Sahin.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I wouldnt say that it's impossible, i mean Hoeneß needs his "prestige transfer" to show who's the boss, but i cant believe that Martinez is worth 40m. Especially with Schweini, Kroos in midfield. I mean we could get a player like Sahin, Boateng, M'Villa for far less than that. If Madrid buys Modric i think it's a given that Bayern will try to snatch Sahin.

What's wrong with Gustavo? He was decent in the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom