• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three Liverpool managers and their staff were wrong. It's the internet fans who are right - Aquilani is world class and would help fire us into the top four.

I'm so sick of this shit.

It's the stuff of life!

I think Aquilani will stay for a year. The beady-eyed prince will have a nice season for us with starts in at least 50% of our games and we will fire on to win the league!

GorillaJu

Spearing, now there's a guy I have no more time for. He wouldn't make any other PL squad.

Really? I think he's absolutely good enough for most PL squads. He just can't be given too much freedom, IMO. Needs to know his job, and needs to stick to his man.

It's the fucking truth. Supporting you club blindly will only get you so far.

You can't seriously believe that you know better than Roy Hodgson, Sammy Lee, Kenny Dalglish, Steve Clarke, Brendan Rodgers & his new staff who I don't know the names of.

Really? I think he's absolutely good enough for most PL squads. He just can't be given too much freedom, IMO. Needs to know his job, and needs to stick to his man.

That's my real issue with him. Know your job, kid.

I'm glad Lucas is back, but he's off by a few tenths of a second on his tackling and it must be frustrating for him. With Lucas back, we won't have to deal with Spearing's mistakes.

Fry

You can't seriously believe that you know better than Roy Hodgson, Sammy Lee, Kenny Dalglish, Steve Clarke, Brendan Rodgers & his new staff who I don't know the names of.

Is this really about 'knowing better'? Do we have that in mind when we talk about players around here?

And the people in bold lost their job before their contracts ran out. Kind of says it all doesn't it?

Clegg

United signing Ashley Cole makes no sense whatsoever. We already have a left back in his 30's and we don't need another that will demand massive wages.

And as good as Cole is, he's going to drop off in form in the next year or so. Journalists need to come up with slightly more plausible bullshit rumours.

Kyoufu

United signing Ashley Cole makes no sense whatsoever. We already have a left back in his 30's and we don't need another that will demand massive wages.

And as good as Cole is, he's going to drop off in form in the next year or so. Journalists need to come up with slightly more plausible bullshit rumours.

I can see Cashley in the Man United shirt already. Though, won't there be commotion between him and Rio?

Wilbur

Banned
I'd stack Fry's tactical acumen up against Dalglish's.

Strangely in the second half of 2010/11 season he came out with wing backs and looked surprisingly adequate considering he'd been out the game for so long.

Then everything changed and I was happier for it.

Clegg

And still no signing in defence. Thats the area they actually need improvement on.

Arsene to adopt policy of all out attack? Because that defence will still leak goals.

And their midfield ain't that good imo. Song is a magnificent passer but seems incapable of doing his actual job as a DM. Rosicky is nothing special and Arteta, whilst good, is getting on a bit. We don't know whats going to happen with Wilshere either. Diaby is crap and Ramsey needs to go on loan.

Arnie

:lol people still listening to The Other One as if he's some higher being in terms of transfer knowledge.

Type Santi Cazorla into Twitter and there are numerous tweets saying Cazorla has signed. Doesn't mean it's true, although at this point it's a safe bet to suggest he's signed, as it was basically done anyway.

How long left until M'Vila, anyway. 7 days left?

Arsene to adopt policy of all out attack? Because that defence will still leak goals.
Not with Diaby mopping up.

3Sixty

Arsenal are set to make a another raid on Southampton with 17-year-old full back Luke Shaw their target.

They had the promising full-back watched at St Mary’s Stadium yesterday when he played the last 25 minutes of the 1-0 defeat to Dutch champions Ajax.

Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain have already been recruited from the Saints and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has had rave reports about Shaw.

Do one Arsene.

Clegg

Where is all this money coming from?

Is Arsene banking on RVP being sold, or is he spending leftover transfer funds from years of underspending?

Arnie

I think Arsenal have done the best business in Europe so far, save PSG maybe.

If they buy a defender I'll agree.

Chelsea have done the strangest work. They've effectively bought 3 attacking midfielders/wingers, and they've already got Mata.

Clegg

I think Arsenal have done the best business in Europe so far, save PSG maybe.

IMO Wenger is falling into the same trap as Fergie. He's strengthening his team but completely neglecting the area that needs to most attention. SAFs problem lies in midfield while Wengers lies in defence.

And I think Chelsea have done some pretty good business too. United and Barca have also strengthened in areas that needed addressing. City haven't signed anyone yet but they only need defensive cover and maybe a midfielder.

Clegg

If the price for M'Vila is true then United should be all over that. A young, talented footballer that will cost between 15-20m.

But we probably aren't even interested.

Wilbur

Banned
IMO Wenger is falling into the same trap as Fergie. He's strengthening his team but completely neglecting the area that needs to most attention. SAFs problem lies in midfield while Wengers lies in defence.

Where I think the difference is with SAF and Wenger (regarding Lucas/Cazorla) is that Wenger is buying better players than he already has. Kagawa's obv a step up, but is Lucas any better than Valencia or Nani, especially for the price? Cazorla's better than any player they already have, Podolski and Giroud are massive improvements on their other strikers save RvP. If they get a better defender Arnie's right they've done fantastic but to get Poldi, Giroud and Cazorla for just over 40m is fantastic business.

Tc91

If the price for M'Vila is true then United should be all over that. A young, talented footballer that will cost between 15-20m.

But we probably aren't even interested.

How the hell do we keep letting bargains like this slip through our fingers? It's ridiculous.

Wilbur

Banned
How the hell do we keep letting bargains like this slip through our fingers? It's ridiculous.

I can only think that our scouting network isn't doing their job properly. When you have Newcastle picking up Tiote and Cabaye for under 10m, every club in the league must be fucking kicking themselves.

I think by now even with a month left I'm getting fidgety. We should make a 25m bid for Fellaini and see how that goes. Relatively young, proven in the PL, big game player, fantastic all round midfielder.

Oh speaking of Cavani, this happened

Can you imagine an English player sounding so eloquent when questioned?

“Are the big Premier League clubs looking for me? My response can only be onward Liverpool!”

“The men whose ankles I attacked were Liverpool fans, not the kind I have learned to know and appreciate in these years.

“This incident certainly won’t make me move away from under the shadow of Radio City Tower”

Upon reflection... I guess that's why.

It's Jay Spearing, btw.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Was Aquilani loaned out for footballing reasons or because he was too expensive to keep? (serious question)

Can you imagine an English player sounding so eloquent when questioned?

Upon reflection... I guess that's why.

3lngj.gif
3lngj.gif

Fry8 said:
Ibra training with PSG team

Correction: PSG trains with Ibra.

LegoArmo

Quick summary? I've only seen him for Blackpool and Liverpool.

Well known for his diving in the SPL, and either he can't tackle, or he purposely tries to hurt people. He might have grown up a bit in England though.

Although just playing for Rangers is enough to make me dislike someone, so I might be biased.

Apparently we are signing Rhys McCabe from Rangers, contract allegedly already sorted. Do you know much about him at all?

Nothing, sorry, he hasn't played too much, but he's young, worth giving him a chance on a free?

Yen

Quick summary? I've only seen him for Blackpool and Liverpool.

If I know GAF as well as I think I do, Lego will return with a list of crimes ranging from sneezing without covering in a reserve friendly in 1999 to a unpaid parking ticket last Tuesday.

Arnie

Hilarious, he flattens two defenders.
Was Aquilani loaned out for footballing reasons or because he was too expensive to keep? (serious question)

A mixture of both. Wasn't going to get enough game time, assuming Gerrard stayed fit (which he didn't), and his wages were astronomical (100k a week).

If I know GAF as well as I think I do, Lego will return with a list of crimes ranging from sneezing without covering in a reserve friendly in 1999 to a unpaid parking ticket last Tuesday.
Looks like you're about right.

GorillaJu

3lngj.gif
3lngj.gif

Correction: PSG trains with Ibra.

We paid his wages while he was gone. Should answer your question.

And do we really need "ITKs" on FootyGaf? We'd all prefer it if you just said "I read on Twitter that blah blah," if not give us a good idea on your source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom