• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Was Aquilani loaned out for footballing reasons or because he was too expensive to keep? (serious question)

Kenny said last August there was no point in keeping Aquilani because Gerrard played in his position. By August, Gerrard had been injured for 6 months, and would be out for a further 3.

Arnie

We paid his wages while he was gone. Should answer your question.

And do we really need "ITKs" on FootyGaf? We'd all prefer it if you just said "I read on Twitter that blah blah," if not give us a good idea on your source.

Exactly.

I know The Other One has already admitted he's effectively passing on information readily available elsewhere, but by popping his head in this thread only to spunk out bolded transfer gossip, and not frame them as the unconfirmed rumours that they are, he gives off the impression that he's just got off the phone with Wenger's brother.

Bumhead

Banned
Nothing, sorry, he hasn't played too much, but he's young, worth giving him a chance on a free?

Yeah I think so. According to a Rangers forum they might still be entitled to compensation, although I'm not sure how that works as he's only leaving because he rejected the contract transfer to the Newco. The same rumour also suggested we'd send them Mark Reynolds instead of any compensation which I'd be delighted with as Reynolds is absolutely garbage.

By the sounds of it he was being tracked by Everton last season. Sounds like the sort of thing where the only reason he's available is because of the Newco thing.

I can only think that our scouting network isn't doing their job properly. When you have Newcastle picking up Tiote and Cabaye for under 10m, every club in the league must be fucking kicking themselves.

I think by now even with a month left I'm getting fidgety. We should make a 25m bid for Fellaini and see how that goes. Relatively young, proven in the PL, big game player, fantastic all round midfielder.

I'd say our scouting network is decent. We've picked up some obscure gems in the past several years, after all. Smalling, Chicharito, the da Silvas, et al. So it's only more frustrating that we don't pick up on the no-brainers. For every Kagawa, there's an Arturo Vidal who slips through our fingers. It's reasonable to give Fergie some benefit of the doubt. Most of the time, fans - and even players - think short-term, and don't see the big picture. That happened prior to our '07-08 CL-winning squad. The last few seasons, he's been giving a number of players already in the squad a chance to stake their claim on the midfield position. But injuries, donuts and a chronic fucking disease (Fletcher <3) seem to have made that go kaput.

Now, Fergie's admitted there's an issue with our over-reliance on Carrick, so there should be action. I'm also convinced he's livid about losing Pogba - he would have made a great backup in Carrick's position. I just hope it's this summer rather than next.

Fellaini would be a great signing, but Sahin would be better, and perhaps even cheaper. Unfortunately, I see us passing on him due to his last season of poor form/injuries taken as a sign that he can't handle the step "up". A mistake, in my opinion. I have a lot of faith in Cleverley and Petrucci, and Powell, Tunnicliffe and Lingard look promising, but our midfield definitely needs another more immediate option.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Guys don't ruin it, The Other One is fun.

We paid his wages while he was gone. Should answer your question.

And do we really need "ITKs" on FootyGaf? We'd all prefer it if you just said "I read on Twitter that blah blah," if not give us a good idea on your source.

Ah..well there's definitely something wrong with Aqua then, since he seems to be the footballing equivalent of Danielle Lloyd. I was in the minority that didn't want to sign him last season :p

He's still a decent player though, he adds so much more than Adams and Spearing, IMO.

Yen

Ah..well there's definitely something wrong with Aqua then, since he seems to be the footballing equivalent of Danielle Lloyd. I was in the minority that didn't want to sign him last season :p

He's still a decent player though, he adds so much more than Adams and Spearing, IMO.

I'm going to tweet this to Jamie O'Hara. You'll hear from the police soon.

The Other One has been right about pretty much everything though. Even if its just twitter rumours at least he's picking up the correct ones.

Yen

I'm in a cave in Kuwait. Good luck!

saddam-hussein55.jpg

Clegg

BTW the Brazilian Olympic team are playing Belarus at Old Trafford today.

Now is the time for SAF and Gill to kidnap Moura.

GorillaJu

The problem with Aqua is that he doesn't track people or close down very effectively, I've noticed. He doesn't read where the opponents are passing the ball and ends up chasing shadows, and when he does have the ball he seems to struggle to decide where the best place to pass is.

Mind you, I'd rather we gave him a chance here than shipped him out again... but it may take 6 months of training before he gets to start in PL games, and 6 months of not playing football when you're 28 years old and have his CV kind of sucks.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd say our scouting network is decent. We've picked up some obscure gems in the past several years, after all. Smalling, Chicharito, the da Silvas, et al. So it's only more frustrating that we don't pick up on the no-brainers. For every Kagawa, there's an Arturo Vidal who slips through our fingers. It's reasonable to give Fergie some benefit of the doubt. Most of the time, fans - and even players - think short-term, and don't see the big picture. That happened prior to our '07-08 CL-winning squad. The last few seasons, he's been giving a number of players already in the squad a chance to stake their claim on the midfield position. But injuries, donuts and a chronic fucking disease (Fletcher <3) seem to have made that go kaput.

Oh I agree with you there, we've picked up some absolute steals in our time, but like you say when players like Sahin and Vidal are going for under 15m, Tiote and Cabaye for 5m, and there's no report of a bid or interest it's just a bit disappointing.

Now, Fergie's admitted there's an issue with our over-reliance on Carrick, so there should be action. I'm also convinced he's livid about losing Pogba - he would have made a great backup in Carrick's position. I just hope it's this summer rather than next.

He definitely wanted to keep Pog. But that's gone and as you say we have plenty back ups in the youths and reserves, but they need time. Sahin would be cheaper than Fellaini sure, but I'd be happy with either one if it was under 30m. If we're willing to spend that much on an unproven Brazilian trickster then we should be willing to spend it on proven talents in a position we need it in.

GorillaJu

The Other One has been right about pretty much everything though. Even if its just twitter rumours at least he's picking up the correct ones.

Okay, that's fair... but I kind of imagine FootyGaf as a bar you come in to chat with your friends about football, and nothing can ruin a good atmosphere like know-it-alls, especially when they put on airs as if they're withholding this information that we're absolutely fucking desperate to hear.

Lupinko did it in the fighting game community threads, and he legitimately knew what was going on, but no one likes a know-it-all, and people rightly ostracized him, despite the fact that he was correct about roster leaks, game features, etc. long before they were announced.

And bolding your entire posts, just to let everyone else know that what you're saying is more important than everyone else, is bad form.

Clegg

He definitely wanted to keep Pog. But that's gone and as you say we have plenty back ups in the youths and reserves, but they need time. Sahin would be cheaper than Fellaini sure, but I'd be happy with either one if it was under 30m. If we're willing to spend that much on an unproven Brazilian trickster then we should be willing to spend it on proven talents in a position we need it in.

SAF loves his flair players. We joke about it sometimes but he really does place a lot of importance on players that can produce moments of individual brilliance. SAF has signed Ronaldo, Nani, Kanchelskis, Sharp, Valencia etc and all of them were very important parts of his various different teams over the years.

SAF obviously thinks that Moura has a lot of potential, which is why he's willing to spend £25m on him. It's probably not enough to get his man but thats another issue entirely. And I don't think he views midfield in the same way as he does the wings.

Zabojnik

Nah, Carroll's characteristics won't suit our team. Conte, and everyone on earth, knows what we need.

ANDY IS NOT RIGHT!

So anyway, Marotta is fine with overpaying for every single position in our team except for a striker for some reason. What difference does it make if they're asking for 3-5M more? JUST PAY IT! This penny-pinching is getting ridiculous.

I don't understand this either. See the Asamoah + Isla deal. 18M€ for each is about the right price, imo, but you would still expect Marotta to try to lower it, propose loan / co-ownership deals all over the place, try to include 6241324 youngsters in the deal, etc. Instead, it was basically over in a day or two. Conte wanted both, Beppe got them, no matter the price. When it comes to the striker though, it's like Marry's trying his best to stall the deal(s) ...

Our target #1 is Jojo, target #2 is RVP, target #3 is Dzeko. Apparently we're waiting to see of Della Valle will budge on Jojo on the €20m we offered, meanwhile remaining in contact with Arsenal. We are Arsenal's preferred customer and they are willing to accept a lower offer to send RVP abroad. We're agreed with both Jojo and RVP on personal terms with only small details separating us. Its all down to the teams to agree on price.

... which is why I believe there's something they're not telling us about the whole RVP situation. The rumors about Juve and RVP being in agreement over his salary don't make any sense to me. Di Marzio and other keep saying the number is ~6M€ + bonuses, while others are saying we're offering something like 12M€+ (the £190.000 per week rumor). Which can't possibly be true, as he'd be making almost double what Buffon makes.

When are Arsenal / Wenger coming back from China? It's time for the final push.

Well not obscure, but he only played a few times at Fulham.

Either way, he was plastered all over the media as soon as he first came into the Fulham team, and everyone knew who he was and what he offered. I'd go so far as to say that Vidic was more obscure at the time you signed him than Smalling was

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Pato-gol!

This whole beat the keeper to the ball and then deliberately crash into him needs to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom