• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
a 20m valuation for Carroll is just fucking ridiculous. if you didn't know he was bought for 35m and you saw him play last season (with the exception of a handful of matches like the two FA cup matches at Wembley), or, at the very least, you saw that he scored 4 league goals all season, he'd have the same worth as someone like, say, Chamakh.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... someone please buy Chamakh.

Could be some news regarding the IPO over-night.

MUFC are pressing ahead with it and could be starting the roadshow over the next few days.

Let's see where this goes.

What does a gif of Bale flopping over have to do with anything? Every player has done that. Not every player has gone into nasty challenge from behind in a friendly game. If that had been one of our players tackling Lucas the Liverpool fans would be up in arms. It's not as if Adam is a good player like Suarez. All this fiasco does is remind people how far Liverpool have fallen, that a player like Adam is anywhere near the Liverpool XI.

The only players that flop in the English press are 'dirty foreigners' .

I love seeing consistent examples of the real floppers. Bale is a complete flopper, he's overrated, and the Spurs should have sold him when he was remotely healthy.

Well done, Charlie.

kharma45

£17 million potential fee? :lol Unless Carroll becomes some sort of sensation next season somehow I don't think West Ham will be exercising that.

MUFC are pressing ahead with it and could be starting the roadshow over the next few days.

Where'd you hear that?

PaulLFC

I wonder how they expect to raise money with it? From what I understand there aren't many shares on offer as a portion of the total shares of the company, and they don't include any voting rights. If that's correct, who would buy them?

West Ham BETTER honour this agreement.
Would not be surprised if they don't.

Though surely LFC have it sured up with the lawyers etc.

It's a crazy deal I think. Really don't think Carroll is worth that sort of money and I can see West Ham staying up and Carrol still being underwhelming.

Not a great deal for LFC either since they don't get any guaranteed money but it's the best fee they'll ever get for him I think..if they get it.

PaulLFC

It's a good deal for u guys. Bad deal for west ham. Carroll is not even worth 17 mil. I doubt West Ham will honor that agreement.
Pretty sure it will be worded so that if we loan him to West Ham and they stay up, they have to buy him. That's why the clubs we loaned Aquilani to magically stopped playing him a game before he hit the 25 game loan target - once he met the condition, they had to buy him. It'll be the same with West Ham I expect - only this time it's a better deal for us, as they can't just stop playing a player after a few games, it's either they get relegated, or they buy Carroll.

Clegg

I wonder how they expect to raise money with it? From what I understand there aren't many shares on offer as a portion of the total shares of the company, and they don't include any voting rights. If that's correct, who would buy them?

The fans, probably.

Thats what the Glazers are hoping, at least.

Kyoufu

Carroll doesn't even want to play for West Ham, what motivation does he have to perform well enough to keep them up and be bought by them?

Gotta feel bad for him. Hasn't gone the way he'd like after leaving Newcastle.

You're right, the investment is not very appealing at all.

Nonetheless the NYSE has had some mild success with similar IPO's. I don't think the problem will be the voting shares as much as it'll be the valuation. That is key. If the valuation is reasonable I think the shares will sell...I'm not convinced it will be though, Glazer's have been doing their damn best ever since they bought the club to convince people it's worth alot more than it really is.

Real value is probably something like $2bn-£2.5bn...Glazer's are said to be pushing for $3bn.

ATF487

Pretty sure it will be worded so that if we loan him to West Ham and they stay up, they have to buy him. That's why the clubs we loaned Aquilani to magically stopped playing him a game before he hit the 25 game loan target - once he met the condition, they had to buy him. It'll be the same with West Ham I expect - only this time it's a better deal for us, as they can't just stop playing a player after a few games, it's either they get relegated, or they buy Carroll.

Yeah, was just going to mention this.

I still preferred the 9m + Dempsey rumor.

Arnie

If someone offered £17 million for him now I'd snap their hand off and give them a big sloppy kiss. As it is though, unless the club are willing to throw money in for a replacement, I don't know why we'd accept that. Not to mention I don't think Carroll would accept that, what with him being adamant about playing European football.

I don't really understand the comments suggesting West Ham might not honour it though, surely with an agreement of this magnitude it's clad iron in terms of the specifics. If we've accepted such an initially un-beneficial deal, I'd expect the eventual payoff is set in stone, so long as West Ham stay up. I'd imagine West Ham hope to use the great sack of money they'll receive through TV rights to pay for Carroll then.

Could the IPO fail?
It's more likely to fail than it is to succeed.

They're offering shares that amount to nothing. It's attempting to sell gold dust.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Roma paid €19m for Destro.

We completely fucked that deal for them with a little help from Liverpool
LfU59.gif
LfU59.gif
LfU59.gif

PaulLFC said:

Is it an obligation-to-buy or an option-to-buy? It was an obligation on Milan, an option for Juve.

We were forced to buy Motta, because it was an obligation to buy :(

sixghost

Doesn't "view to buy" just mean there is an option to pay an addition X at the end of the loan to make it permanent?

That's how it works in FM at least.

I hope for United's sake that it doesn't. You'll be in deep water if it does, correct?
The financial position itself wouldn't change too much and we'd continue as we are...so not great but not hanging off the cliff either...

It would be massively embarrassing however and show the club is in a real bad way. Would be a massive downturn in "confidence" in the way the club is being run, we all know it's bad already but that would rubber stamp it and make it pretty much undeniable.

I'm amazed that tackle from Adam on Bale has caused so much fuss, it was a bad challege, but Adam's made many bad challenges in his career - he's shit at tackling - he doesn't have some sort of vendetta against Bale like he's implying, that's just getting ridiculous. Bale's going on as if his career's on the line, but if he was so injured, why did he manage to play on until half time? Oh, and he's not exactly an angel himself:

BaleDive.gif

Jesus christ... did you copy and paste this straight from RAWK?

PaulLFC

Can't Carrol just refuse?
Yeah he can, this deal's unlikely to go ahead to be honest. Can see Andy still being with us at the start of the season, and I'd be pleased if that happened - he was getting better and better towards the end of last season and in the Euros, could be a useful player for us if he stays.

Jesus christ... did you copy and paste this straight from RAWK?
Nah, perfectly capable of writing my own posts thanks. How about some counter-arguments or discussion instead of the go-to response?

Arnie

I don't see how we can continue to rely on Carroll and Suarez to score us goals. Carroll's positioning is terrible, and his finishing is even worse, Suarez is inconsistent at finishing and works better as a creator, rather than a main man.

Question: Can you defrost a frozen packet of tortellini in the microwave?

Kyoufu

I don't see how we can continue to rely on Carroll and Suarez to score us goals. Carroll's positioning is terrible, and his finishing is even worse, Suarez is inconsistent at finishing and works better as a creator, rather than a main man.

I would get Dempsey and have him link up with Suarez. I think Suarez will flourish in B-Rod's style of play provided his finishing isn't garbage.

edit:

West Ham deny deal. LOL twitter bollocks.

Arnie

For what it's worth, whilst we've all accepted it was a terrible, needless challenge, I think the conspiracy theorists suggesting Adam holds some inexplicable grudge against Bale are ridiculous. Particularly the likes of Walker, suggesting Adam made the challenge out of jealousy, which makes about as much sense as Stevie Wonder's binoculars.

Good Carroll/B-Rod analogy
During our last game of the season against Swansea, Carroll was so frightened of maintaining possession that he hoofed the ball back to Doni from the half way line. Doni was so surprised at such an overt display of technical incompetency that he picked the ball up, not realising it had actually been passed back. Freekick to Swansea.

mil6es

IF Westham stay up they HAVE TO buy Carroll that's the deal in a nutshell, so the only way Carroll is comming back is if West Ham get relegated......again

Salvadora

The financial position itself wouldn't change too much and we'd continue as we are...so not great but not hanging off the cliff either...

It would be massively embarrassing however and show the club is in a real bad way. Would be a massive downturn in "confidence" in the way the club is being run, we all know it's bad already but that would rubber stamp it and make it pretty much undeniable.

Yeah I could imagine the bad press it will get if it fails. I think like you said above it shows the position that the Glazer's are in that they are pressing ahead with the threat of failure.

Wilbur

Banned
IF Westham stay up they HAVE TO by Carroll that's the deal in a nutshell, so the only way Carroll is comming back is if West Ham get relegated......again

Which I'd like to see for sure. Liverpool and West Ham getting relegated would truly be a realisation of my dreams

Wilbur

Banned
I want to see Man United go bankrupt before Liverpool get relegated.

I want to see Cabaye and Debuchy ape their mate Franck and get their knobs out to little girls before being caught, sacked from Newcastle and forced to pay fines of £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom