• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is guys...whilst its a massive amount of money, the past suggests we won't see any of it.

We've had massive deals before and the spending on debt had increased, not on the pitch.

So whilst it would be good news, it's bittersweet.

HOLY SHIT

Reuters are reporting the Chevrolet deal is worth £54m a year at £382m for 7 years.

Now I know why that guy got sacked.

If this is true...WOW.

Isn't the US government a significant shareholder in Chevrolet's parent company? God bless America.

iPXbWZc6Sb1MX.gif

Gotta service that debt.

Arnie

Genuinely smiling at the United fans treating this as a cheery payday; whatever money comes in is going straight on interest payments, payments that don't even reduce the deficit in which you currently sit.

I'm not being hyperbolic there either, that's the truth.

Viva being pragmatic as ever.

PaulLFC

It does seem an insane amount of money, I imagine Chevrolet will be getting something else out of the deal as well as shirt sponsorship if it's that high - sponsoring pre-season tournaments etc like Standard Chartered do for us maybe, and being plastered all over the website.

I can't see it being £54 million though. The highest so far was around £25 million (Standard Chartered and Aon), so to more than double that just doesn't seem likely.

pappe

Genuinely smiling at the United fans treating this as a cheery payday; whatever money comes in is going straight on interest payments, payments that don't even reduce the deficit in which you currently sit.

But that covers the interest payments. The other income can now be used to pay off the principle.

Wilbur

Banned

I did post 'imagine if we had different owners'... I think it really is a what if situation. It's mind boggling money for a second and then realism kicks in

Isn't the US government a significant shareholder in Chevrolet's parent company? God bless America.

iPXbWZc6Sb1MX.gif
26%.

You're right there...but a small glimmer of hope is that as we're already meeting the interest payments, the extra £34m (going on the £54m here) isn't needed for the interest so perhaps instead the debt buy back...which does reduce debt.

However there is also a very real possibility the Glazers take that money out of the club and use it for their personal spend, they are in a bad way themselves according to those ITK.

Anyhow, whilst it doesn't call for a party, we can use any extra money we get, so it's still kinda good news for us.

Edit - Or as pappe said it

Anyway need confirmation on this it sounds insane and dodgy as hell.

PaulLFC

But that covers the interest payments. The other income can now be used to pay off the principle.
It won't cover it. Seems interest payments are rumoured to be between £50 million and £60 million a year, and while this will be a big deal, it won't be that high. No way it would be more than double the highest current deal.

Arnie

It's nowhere near enough to make a dent.

And as has already been said, I'd be stunned if that figure was in pounds, rather than in dollars. It's so wildly above the current market value that it's akin to the Etihad deal, in that it stinks of foul play. No company is that poor at negotiating(besides Liverpool).

pappe

It won't cover it. Seems interest payments are rumoured to be between £50 million and £60 million a year, and while this will be a big deal, it won't be that high. No way it would be more than double the highest current deal.
Why u gotta be so negative Paul? Why? WHHHHHYYYYYYYY.???

£45m is the current interest repayment per annum.

It could be true, for now we just don't know but the Reuters story is very precise.

Also remember this is the club that receives £10m a year for a training kit sponsor...another deal shrouded with mystery.

Salvadora

Interest payments are rumoured to be between £50 million and £60 million a year? That's simply insane.
Edit:
£45m is the current interest repayment per annum.

It could be true, for now we just don't know but the Reuters story is very precise.

Also remember this is the club that receives £10m a year for a training kit sponsor...another deal shrouded with mystery.
ahhh 45m

Clegg

Thing is guys...whilst its a massive amount of money, the past suggests we won't see any of it.

We've had massive deals before and the spending on debt had increased, not on the pitch.

So whilst it would be good news, it's bittersweet.

Fuck that.

Lets bring Ronnie home.

Interest payments are rumoured to be between £50 million and £60 million a year? That's simply insane.
£45m.

It used to be north of £70m...god that kills.

FWIW im going along with the story for now. Of course I am inclined to but it's a reputable agency with clear figures. And they've specified the figure in $ and £.

Very interesting the club announced it in the way it did though. Youd expect great fanfare...not, yeah we've done a deal.

The worst thing about it for Man U fans is, all this lovely sponsorship money coming in and going out again cover debts and not buying players

Given our cash flow, just the mere relief of Glazer-incurred interest payments by this deal would be a massive step forward, and would allow the club to alleviate a good portion of the debt over the next several years. That is, if the Glazers are wholly committed to that agenda. It wouldn't excuse the past decade or so of substandard efficacy, but I'll grudgingly admit the owners have done a fair job monetizing the club's achievements, and there is reason to be positive for the future if they're sensible with such opportunities.

Well those figures will hopefully make our IPO a bit more attractive.
As @andersred said today. That document is more a history book than anything with every passing day.

Another interesting aspect of this is what it means for the shirt manufacturers deal which is due for renewal over the next year or so. Previous reports have said United are looking for £40m+. This past year we earned £30m on a deal signed over 10 years ago. I'm sure that will be another important part of this ridiculous roadshow.

PaulLFC

(Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) ousted its global marketing chief Joel Ewanick a little more than two years after he joined the company to lead an overhaul of its marketing strategy.

A source with knowledge of the matter said Ewanick failed to properly report financial details about a recent sponsorship deal between GM's mass-market Chevrolet brand and the world's most popular soccer club, Manchester United.
Uh oh... doesn't seem like GM is too happy about this!

If you'd read my posts you'd see I already said it was a poor challenge - it wasn't the worst challenge in the world. It would be a booking if it happened in the league. To suggest Adam is deliberately targeting Bale as Bale has done is ridiculous.

I obviously read you post. It's not ridiculous to suggest that a player who stamps on your ankle twice is deliberately targeting you. And when he got sent off against us after half an hour last season his first yellow was for a tackle on Bale.

kharma45

Given our cash flow, just the mere relief of Glazer-incurred interest payments by this deal would be a massive step forward, and allow us alleviate a good portion of the debt over the next several years. That is, if the Glazers are wholly committed to that agenda. It wouldn't excuse the past decade or so of substandard efficacy, but I'll grudgingly admit the owners have done a fair job monetizing the club's achievements, and there is reason to be positive for the future if they're sensible with such opportunities.

The Glazers, whilst ignoring the obvious debt, have done a very good job at maximising our revenue and eeking out every quid they can.

Anything that takes us a bit closer to being able to clear our debt is fantastic news. I'm not seeing this as an amazing short term 'ZOMG WE CAN BUY WHOEVER WE WANT!!', I'm seeing it as a number of years down the line we'll finally be able to see our obscene profit margins being used to compete with Real and City for players.

PaulLFC

I obviously read you post. It's not ridiculous to suggest that a player who stamps on your ankle twice is deliberately targeting you. And when he got sent off against us after half an hour last season his first yellow was for a tackle on Bale.
Yes, it is. Adam's tackled other players badly as well you know. He can't tackle. He's like Scholes but without most of the footballing ability.

kharma45

Anything that takes us a bit closer to being able to clear our debt is fantastic news. I'm not seeing this as an amazing short term 'ZOMG WE CAN BUY WHOEVER WE WANT!!', I'm seeing it as a number of years down the line we'll finally be able to see our obscene profit margins being used to compete with Real and City for players.

True, it's going to be a long term thing being used on debt which is the route I'd like to see the club take. Get rid of it now whilst we can and then when it's much more manageable we can think about spending big on players year in year out.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I thought his first yellow in that game was for stopping Modric wriggling away near the touchline.

It's okay though, because it's Bale.

Sick of him.

Don't worry, soon we can all go back to laughing at Downing and his complete lack of balls. At least Bale tries to take his man on.

jtb

Banned
all this talk of United getting anywhere between 25-50m for their shirt deal... fuck, I think Emirates is still giving us ~5m/year for ours. This shitty deal cannot expire soon enough, especially considering they probably pay PSG, Milan, now Madrid (? when the Bwin deal expires I guess?) far more.

Salvadora

all this talk of United getting anywhere between 25-50m for their shirt deal... fuck, I think Emirates is still giving us ~5m/year for ours. This shitty deal cannot expire soon enough, especially considering they probably pay PSG, Milan, now Madrid (? when the Bwin deal expires I guess?) far more.

I was thinking about that when I was reading the United stuff. It was making my blood boil.

PaulLFC

I can see you've already made you're mind up regardless of the evidence.
Christ. I've "made my mind up" because it's a fact that Charlie Adam is shit at tackling, and too slow to catch players that go past him, so he just fouls them. That is what happened to Bale. That challenge wasn't pretty but he'd have got away with a booking - it's not like he flew in two footed into Bale's knee. There is no "evidence". He's brought down Bale twice, he's brought down plenty of other players as well. Stop looking for something that doesn't exist.

I was thinking about that when I was reading the United stuff. It was making my blood boil.
Yep Arsenal's commercial deals are astoundingly bad. It's crazy when you consider how global a club they are which has been proven by this pre season tour.

The worry for Arsenal is that they get to a renegotiation from a position of weakness. CL football is therefore crucial. The loss of star names and regular trophies is already a big negative. Even so Arsenal will surely negotiate up to £20m on both which adds a lot to the kitty.

Clegg

Ever Banega has not had a good 6 months.

Banega's Ferrari burnt to a crisp
Ever Banega's run of bad luck on the road took a bizarre new twist on Monday when the Valencia playmaker's Ferrari caught fire and burned out near the La Liga club's training ground.

The Argentina international, who has only just returned from a broken ankle sustained in February when he failed to set the handbrake in his car and it rolled over his foot, was unharmed in the latest incident, a Valencia spokesman said.

The vehicle that caught fire on Monday was a brand new Ferrari worth around 250,000 euros, the spokesman added, and pictures carried in local media showed only the front part of the car remained unscathed with the rest, including the passenger cabin, burnt to a black crisp.

The blaze seemed to have been caused by some sort of short circuit, the spokesman said. Ferrari is a high-performance sports car brand owned by Italian automaker Fiat.

jtb

Banned
Yep Arsenal's commercial deals are astoundingly bad. It's crazy when you consider how global a club they are which has been proven by this pre season tour.

The worry for Arsenal is that they get to a renegotiation from a position of weakness. CL football is therefore crucial. The loss of star names and regular trophies is already a big negative. Even so Arsenal will surely negotiate up to £20m on both which adds a lot to the kitty.

yeah. think the board might realize that too, given that they've freed up quite a bit of transfer funds for use in this window—regardless of the sale of RVP too—and I think the Nike deal is the first one up for renegotiation in a year or two. Renegotiating our contract, or jumping ship to a new kit maker like a Warrior/Underarmor-type who are eager to sign a big name for big money, would easily be the first step towards raising that really low ~40m figure to something a bit more respectable.

though Liverpool have gotten great kit deals despite abysmal performances in the league for three years running. Surely Arsenal can get figures, maybe not that high, but at a comparable level?

Christ. I've "made my mind up" because it's a fact that Charlie Adam is shit at tackling, and too slow to catch players that go past him, so he just fouls them. That is what happened to Bale. That challenge wasn't pretty but he'd have got away with a booking - it's not like he flew in two footed into Bale's knee. There is no "evidence". He's brought down Bale twice, he's brought down plenty of other players as well. Stop looking for something that doesn't exist.

Yeah, there's no evidence

9bUsO.jpg

Next you'll tell me Ben Thatcher just has elbow spasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom